2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I replaced my computer about 2 months ago. Windows 7 is the same as before; Internet service is the same. My camera is a Logitec C920. When talking to someone I use a cordless headset, also Logitec.

Since getting the new computer, problems with the video is happening on the receiving side - it freezes on them. After researching on-line, I reduced how often it did that, by turning off everything automatic: auto-focus, auto-adjustment of brightness.

When I first connect to the other person, my video zooms in to a close-up of my face. Then 12 seconds in, it zooms out again. When I record with my camera normally, zooming is set manually, so I don't know what is directing the camera to zoom in and out. Perhaps Skype is interfacing and giving a command? It seems to be at the moment of zooming, that the video freezes.

Currently I sit still as a statue a bit past the 12 second zoom-in mark, to reduce how often it freezes. It still freezes from time to time despite this. The zoom-in / zoom-out can also pop up randomly during a session.

Once it has frozen, the only way to restore it is to turn off, and redial the other party. A few days ago it was so bad that after doing this a dozen times, we simply went on audio - which is not that great when you are discussing physical motion.

Has anyone encountered this? Any solutions?

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Latest skype IMHO is totally broken. My new macbook pro did a kernel panic twice on it while in a skype session sharing the desktop. My solution is not to use it anymore.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I chose that solution years ago. Skype never did it for me. Using QQ now.

PS: wouter79, I have to ask... what are those 'medals' in your signature??

Last edited by Jytte; 12/25/14 06:24 PM.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
OP Offline
I see an option of Logitech Vid HD, as an alternative to Skype. The million dollar question - does the other person also have to have a Logitech camera?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by wouter79
Latest skype IMHO is totally broken. My new macbook pro did a kernel panic twice on it while in a skype session sharing the desktop. My solution is not to use it anymore.

Do you have an alternative?

If the latest version is broken, can one go to an earlier version?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
there is a list of older versions here:
http://skype.en.downloadastro.com/old_versions/

don't know if they're better though

I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jytte

These are medals from the ABF recitals, you get a medal with every recital. I did maybe 10 recitals now but after 4 I stopped adding more medals to my signature smile

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by keystring

Yes, POS telephone...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jytte

These are medals from the ABF recitals, you get a medal with every recital. I did maybe 10 recitals now but after 4 I stopped adding more medals to my signature smile

Oh, I see, thanks.

B
B

Yes, POS telephone...

Just out of curiosity (as I have no intention of ever using Skype etc grin) - is FaceTime in iOS devices the same thing (or concept) as Skype?

It came with my Mac laptop, but along with most of the other apps that came pre-installed, I've no idea what it's for.

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bennevis

Yes, POS telephone...

Just out of curiosity (as I have no intention of ever using Skype etc grin) - is FaceTime in iOS devices the same thing (or concept) as Skype?

Yes, it is very similar. It's only for Apple-to-Apple video calls though - and it doesn't have the option of dialling regular telephones. I don't think it's really taken off because it isn't cross-platform and most people know people with Windows machines and Facetime would shut them out. That's why Skype is the main player in the Video-call stakes.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by ando
That's why Skype is the main player in the Video-call stakes.

Except that it's not working out. frown Yesterday I tried two things: I lowered the resolution to 320p, and I had seen someone turned the video off and on whenever it froze, which was better than hanging up completely. Well, the on-off restored video in our test run. But I was doing it every 90 seconds or so. The dialogue didn't get much further than two words: "frozen ... back ...... frozen ...... back.... frozen etc." And also Wouter may be on the mark about Skype having gotten worse.

I'm also open to alternatives to Skype.

OP Offline
I was reading a bunch of stuff from all over the place yesterday. In one of them a rep. explained that a program like Skype "stabilizes" the video after 20 seconds. He was just explaining how it works, rather than targeting any problem. Well this "stabilizing" must be something done by a program like Skype that also sends commands to the camera for adjusting it. This would explain why it starts by zooming me in, and then zooming me out - always exactly at the 12 second mark.

After all, audio is also adjusted. If the other person suddenly coughs loudly or put something in the desk near the microphone so that there is a "bang", then the system turns down the volume on you. So maybe the answer is a system that is less invasive (?).

Or a camera that is more compatible? My son has offered me his older camera which is by Microsoft. I'm loathe to abandon what I have, and the Logitech can be mounted onto the tripod via the tripod's screw, with the other camera doesn't have.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Try also Google hangouts, easy to use. Available most platforms including iOS. Last I heard was that Skype is leaky, but I suppose the NSA see all anyway.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've been using QQ international for years. I'm on it with China every day, all day (during the week) and never have any problems. Have obviously text messaging plus fast direct file transfers, copy/paste of pics, video chat, voice chat. My partner at the other end also has it on his various phones and what not, so we need never be out of touch. It's the messenger everybody uses in Asia, but I know tons of people outside Asia use it as well, even they do not have anything to do with Asia, simply because it's very good.

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Keystring,

I also use, among others, a Logitech C920 with Skype latest version, and it works fine.

It might be worth re-installing the Logitech software, and checking for latest updates.

Also, in 'Advanced Settings' I un-check both 'Right Light' and 'White Balance'.

As to your audio problem, in Skype 'Tools>Options>Audio settings', try un-checking 'Automatically adjust microphone settings'.

Good luck smile

Last edited by R0B; 12/27/14 12:43 AM.

Rob
M
M
Keystring, have you tried Google Hangout? If you have a gmail account it's free and fairly simple to use. Facetime is also an alternative, and the other person would have to use whatever program you are using to video conference with you.

As far as the microphone issue with a loud sound, I often encounter this with Skype voice lessons. They sing, it's really loud, then they speak right after and I can't hear them speak. The "automatically adjust microphone settings" option R0B refers to is helpful, but it has a habit of checking itself off, so you may have to select that each time you open.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission