Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
140 registered (antony, anotherscott, accordeur, anamnesis, 36251, 40 invisible), 1542 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2366103 - Today at 12:20 PM shortest acceptable upright for a small apartment
Dennis R in WA Offline

Loc: Spokane
I have been learning the piano for about three months now on a new (albeit inexpensive) DP. It was a Costco special and I am enjoying the challenge of learning an instrument rather late in life. And although the DP is a perfectly satisfactory solution I keep thinking about a small acoustic console piano.

I have spent a few hours on YouTube the last couple of days and it appears that consoles rather than a studio would be the best choice. I just wonder how tall I would need to produce a strong piano sound without blowing out the neighbors.

BTW I live on the bottom floor with a ramp to my door so getting the piano inside should not be too difficult. I also have access to a 39" console piano at my mother's house which I have been practicing on a couple times a week. But frankly, it is rather tinny sounding and lacks volume on the low end.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2366106 - Today at 12:31 PM Re: shortest acceptable upright for a small apartment [Re: Dennis R in WA]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I've got a Yamaha P112 which is 112cm (44 inches) high. We're in an apartment - and as we're in Italy the floors are marble and the walls are hard plaster - the acoustics are harsh. Our downstairs neighbours feel blown out - the ones beside us barely hear me.

I could have gone a bit smaller, I certainly wouldn't go any bigger.
Have fun shopping!

#2366108 - Today at 12:44 PM Re: shortest acceptable upright for a small apartment [Re: casinitaly]
Dennis R in WA Offline

Loc: Spokane
I can imagine your marble floors likely act as amplifiers. My apartment is both carpeted and on the ground floor. I had already suspected that somewhere between 42 to 44 inches would probably be as tall as I should go.

#2366138 - Today at 02:33 PM Re: shortest acceptable upright for a small apartment [Re: Dennis R in WA]
Dave B Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Size does not dictate volume and some verticals only play loud. I think you will find huge differences from brand to brand.

Enjoy

#2366159 - Today at 03:15 PM Re: shortest acceptable upright for a small apartment [Re: casinitaly]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I've got a Yamaha P112 which is 112cm (44 inches) high. We're in an apartment - and as we're in Italy the floors are marble and the walls are hard plaster - the acoustics are harsh. Our downstairs neighbours feel blown out - the ones beside us barely hear me.

With vertical pianos it is not so much as matter of size (height) as it is design, condition, care, etc.

Very short verticals often sound harsh and strident simply because many manufacturers did not consider them to be "real" musical instruments and spent very little effort in trying to make them anything but cheap price-leader pianos.

It is often the case that a taller piano of better design using better materials (especially hammers) and with more attention paid to basic manufacturing and final regulation and voicing will not only sound "better" but it will not sound as "loud" as the more crudely designed and constructed shorter piano.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2366179 - 9 minutes 10 seconds ago Re: shortest acceptable upright for a small apartment [Re: Dennis R in WA]
ShannonG Online   content

Loc: Canada
Dennis I have a Yamaha LU101 (no longer made but they do make comparable models these days) and I am very happy with the sound quality in a surprisingly small instrument. It's 42 inches high.
My old Mason & Risch is only 37 inches tall but has more 'boom' than the Yamaha. If it wasn't completely worn out I think it would sound quite rich and mellow.

#2366180 - 7 minutes 53 seconds ago Re: shortest acceptable upright for a small apartment [Re: Del]
master88er Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Originally Posted By: Del
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

With vertical pianos it is not so much as matter of size (height) as it is design, condition, care, etc.

Very short verticals often sound harsh and strident simply because many manufacturers did not consider them to be "real" musical instruments and spent very little effort in trying to make them anything but cheap price-leader pianos.

It is often the case that a taller piano of better design using better materials (especially hammers) and with more attention paid to basic manufacturing and final regulation and voicing will not only sound "better" but it will not sound as "loud" as the more crudely designed and constructed shorter piano.

ddf

Actually, one of the nicest small (I think 110cm) pianos I have played in a while was designed by Del for Weber / Young Chang. It was at the trade show two or three years ago and I was surprised how full and even the sound was considering the size.

But, if budget is not an issue, then the European 100- 112 cm uprights can be astoundingly rewarding to play. The Grotrian 110 is one of my favorites.

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Raising piano strings to the correct tonality
by MEKS
12/27/14 02:53 PM
Tuning problem or maybe something else...
by Piano RX
12/27/14 02:35 PM
The end of the year .....blues
by piano_primo_1
12/27/14 01:57 PM
shortest acceptable upright for a small apartment
by Dennis R in WA
12/27/14 12:20 PM
Wobbly stand on Casio Digital Pianos
by PokemonMaster1337
12/27/14 12:13 PM
Forum Stats
77457 Members
42 Forums
160168 Topics
2352098 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission