Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
51 registered (AndrewJCW, A Flat Minor, 14 invisible), 873 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2366716 - 12/29/14 05:38 AM My Roland F-130R giving electric shock! Ouch.
nigelchen Online   content

Hi my roland f130-r is giving out electric shock. when i touch the metal parts e.g. hinge. when i plug in audio cable, the other end of the cable also giving out electreic shock. this will affect sound quality when recording. =/
How can i solve this? or is this normal?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2366723 - 12/29/14 06:18 AM Re: My Roland F-130R giving electric shock! Ouch. [Re: nigelchen]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sweden
Just play Electric Barbarella by Duran Duran, or Electric Dreams. cool Joking aside, I would ditch the thing, and get a new one, it seems it's not a safe thing to have around the house, let alone play. I would not take the chance of having a device around me, that's leaking electricity.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Casio PX-5S

#2366779 - 12/29/14 11:01 AM Re: My Roland F-130R giving electric shock! Ouch. [Re: TheodorN]
Charles Cohen Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Quote:
. . . Joking aside, I would ditch the thing, and get a new one, it seems it's not a safe thing to have around the house, let alone play. I would not take the chance of having a device around me, that's leaking electricity.

+1.

It's dangerous. Return it to the seller, for exchange.

. Charles

Edited by Charles Cohen (12/29/14 11:03 AM)

#2367299 - 12/30/14 04:49 PM Re: My Roland F-130R giving electric shock! Ouch. [Re: nigelchen]
Jay Roland Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Edmonton Alberta
Most likely this is some type of static discharge, or something introduced by the device that the cables are plugged into. There is no connection between the isolated power supply and the metal parts on the Cabinet.

Nevertheless, please contact the retailer you purchased from and pursue this further with them.

Jay

#2367858 - 01/01/15 12:24 AM Re: My Roland F-130R giving electric shock! Ouch. [Re: Jay Roland]

hey i have check the power supply. even though it is 3 pin plug at the plug. But at the power brick it is only 2 prong. Hence there is no earth wire to ground my piano. With this, it will cause static discharge. Is'it possible for me to switch out the powersupply?

Edited by nigelchen (01/01/15 12:26 AM)

#2367947 - 01/01/15 09:41 AM Re: My Roland F-130R giving electric shock! Ouch. [Re: nigelchen]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
This product is not designed to have nor must it be connected to an earth connection.

I am an electrical engineer so when I read you saying that you were receiving electrical shocks I am thinking that it must be static electricity shocks. Otherwise with a true electrical shock from either 120V or 240V you would certainly not touch the product with power on again. Theggse voltages with above a current of 30 milliamperes hand to foot can kill.

Static electricity is caused by walking in socks across nylon carpets or fidgeting around on a synthetic cloth seat material. The static voltage may be as high as 25,000 Volts and is discharged when you touch a device plastic that is not carbon filled.

Static electricity is not dangerous to you (unless you have a heart pacemaker). Computers and electronic musical instruments must be self protecting as long as the discharge is to the outside of the casing.

Ian

Edited by Beemer (01/01/15 09:45 AM)

#2367958 - 01/01/15 10:05 AM Re: My Roland F-130R giving electric shock! Ouch. [Re: nigelchen]
Tuneless Offline

Loc: AZ, USA
Do you get a shock from anything else in the room that is metal and grounded? Maybe try plugging in a power tool with a metal casing and three prongs (a pretty ancient item). If you have something of this sort in the room, you could discharge yourself before touching the piano. I'll leave it to Beemer to comment on this idea, as my background is physics, not engineering, and the difference is that physicists tend to be great at theory and engineers are more practical.

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano(yet) and couldn't tune a guitar, much less a piano.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.

#2368194 - 01/01/15 06:14 PM Re: My Roland F-130R giving electric shock! Ouch. [Re: Tuneless]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Engineers and technicians working with devices susceptible to static electricity wear a carbon impregnated wrist band with a wire connected to ground that has a resistor in the circuit.

Such a device ensures that the human body does not conduct static electricity anywhere except to ground.

In practice and without a wrist band it is sufficient to touch a bare metal grounded object such as a central heating pipe to discharge the body.

In the 1980s it was quite common for ladies wearing nylon undies to experience shocks whilst typing. IBM then started to add carbon to the plastic of computer cases and their golf-ball typewriters.

Ian (I used to sell power supplies to IBM)

#2446414 - 25 minutes 53 seconds ago Re: My Roland F-130R giving electric shock! Ouch. [Re: Jay Roland]

Hi i just use a test pen to check the metal contact such as the screw. It shows a positive result of electric current flowing through it. So is this a defect?

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Console F Model
by DeadPoets
Today at 02:52 AM
A fresh Rachmaninov Paganini Rhapsody
by argerichfan
Today at 02:03 AM
Wedding Prelude Music
by Arghhh
Today at 01:59 AM
Autopiano Player Piano Questions
by mrj_442
Today at 12:51 AM
What is the Genre of this Piece?
by GenoSen
Today at 12:18 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,214 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,904 Topics
2,431,776 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission