2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jytte Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well, there's difference between a name given by a composer, which one would have to assume has everything to do with the music, and whatever prosperity chose to rename it. Don't know what 'Moonlight' used to be if anything. But the 'Minute Waltz', which is a title with no sense as it's longer, was originally called 'Dog Waltz', apparently inspired by a puppy chasing it's own tail, and that name makes a lot more sense when you listen to it.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
C
C
I agree it's crazy hard to remember all those numbers, which is why I normally just don't. I quite often have to search through several mozart movements to find the one I want, even though the number is right there on the screen. If they had proper names, I would probably know all of them by now, so it's something to live with.

If anything, it makes classical music sound very intelligent and high class. :p
Saying "You know that song, Strawberry Fields Forever?" and "You know that piece, Etude in E major, Op. 10 No. 3?" is to say almost exactly the same thing, but the latter sounds extremely impressive. Add to it that piano is already viewed in a positive light as an "intellectual" pasttime, and suddenly our IQs are 100 points higher.

laugh

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Coconutyoghurt
Add to it that piano is already viewed in a positive light as an "intellectual" pasttime, and suddenly our IQs are 100 points higher.

laugh

I think I am the exception to the rule laugh

gotta get that in before peterws does laugh

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar

grin

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Names simply were not necessary in the old days. Times were very different. Names (other than stating the type of the composition or tempo indication) only started to appear after music started to be published for the masses to play and the names were often given by publishers, not composers. Some composers even frowned at the names given to their compositions by publishers.

Music was often published as sets anyway, not individual pieces. Because music wasn't recorded, there was less need to identify individual pieces.

I personally cannot remember ANY numbers because of my dyscalculia. Not that I remember arbitrary names that much better smile
It is slightly annoying that I have studied a piece for 2 months and fully memorized it but still need to dig out the score for the K number.

But I still prefer the systematic cataloging and use of op. numbers or similar, it makes it easier to study the composers whole output and also store the music and scores on the computer.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo
Names simply were not necessary in the old days. Times were very different. Names (other than stating the type of the composition or tempo indication) only started to appear after music started to be published for the masses to play and the names were often given by publishers, not composers. Some composers even frowned at the names given to their compositions by publishers.

Music was often published as sets anyway, not individual pieces. Because music wasn't recorded, there was less need to identify individual pieces.

I personally cannot remember ANY numbers because of my dyscalculia. Not that I remember arbitrary names that much better smile
It is slightly annoying that I have studied a piece for 2 months and fully memorized it but still need to dig out the score for the K number.

But I still prefer the systematic cataloging and use of op. numbers or similar, it makes it easier to study the composers whole output and also store the music and scores on the computer.

Agree, cataloging is one the best things. However sometimes I want to play KV 279/2.....and looking in KV333 confused.......and in the Hoboken of Haydn I sometimes lose my way........

Regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
A very good reason for giving numbers rather than (just) names to works is that you get a good idea of the chronological order of a composer's music over his lifetime. This is irrelevant in pop music, but important in classical - for instance, there is a huge difference in style between Beethoven's Op.2 piano sonatas (still influenced by Haydn) and his late piano sonatas (Op.109-111), and a huge difference between his Pathetique (Op.13), Appassionata (Op.57) and Hammerklavier (Op.106) - which their names don't convey.

Opus numbers don't always correspond to the chronological order of composition, of course (they relate more to the order when the pieces were published - for instance, Chopin's and Beethoven's second piano concertos were composed before their first). That's where Kirkpatrick (Scarlatti), Köchel (Mozart), Deutsch (Schubert) and other people come in, with their cataloging......

If music be the food of love, play on!
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by bennevis

Opus numbers don't always correspond to the chronological order of composition, of course (they relate more to the order when the pieces were published - for instance, Chopin's and Beethoven's second piano concertos were composed before their first). That's where Kirkpatrick (Scarlatti), Köchel (Mozart), Deutsch (Schubert) and other people come in, with their cataloging......

I doubt we'll ever know the actual order of composition of Scarlatti's works and later scholars don't always agree with Kirkpatrick. To complicate things further some insist on still using the L numbers. But imagine the task of naming 555 sonatas by imaginative names grin

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by Johan B
Hobokenverzeichnis.

Gezundheit!

laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Originally Posted by Coconutyoghurt
Add to it that piano is already viewed in a positive light as an "intellectual" pasttime, and suddenly our IQs are 100 points higher.

laugh

I think I am the exception to the rule laugh

Just think how low our IQs would be without piano!

Learner
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Before the thread gets too far off topic I thought I'd have a quick go at answering the initial question...

Originally Posted by Jytte
Still leaves me with my original question though, why in God's name they couldn't NAME the darn things. 'Etude' is not a name, it's a mass description, as are 'Menuet' and all the others.
I think the reason is that as tonality developed the music was based more on thematic ideas too abstract to be given a title, the titles would have been too difficult to think of without misleading the interpreter or the titles would have just been meaningless.

When instrumental music began to be written for it's own sake it was largely concerted music (small groups like recorder consorts, not orchestras) or dance music. By the late Baroque when renaissance (modal) music had given way to tonal music the form and the key was description enough without a descriptive title. Also, an opus number or the serial number of a piece within an opus, was enough to distinguish one piece from another.

Most of the pieces in the Baroque period were simple binary or ternary form and the tempo was indicated by a dance style. Sarabandes and minuets were slow dances, courantes and gigues were fast, for example. A prelude was a harmonic progression, a chaconne was a repeating harmonic sequence, a passacaglia a melodic one etc.

It wasn't until the Romantic period where composers began to personalise the music and convey moods and emotions that more descriptive names were appropriate though number and key were still equally significant and names can still misrepresent. Look, for example at the Moonlight Sonata. Moonlight conveys calm rather than tragedy - completely the wrong idea.

Richard
Jytte Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Richard, that was really some good points. And explained in a way that I can get my head around smile

Not having studied the history of music, made it more difficult to grasp these things, so that is something I want to remedy.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jytte
I've had to ban myself from the piano today (having a Klutz day), so now I'm getting philosophical (or taking my frustrations out on the old masters, whichever version you prefer).

I'm bad with names (hence a previous post about a title). I'll remember thousands of melodies, but not their names. And when it comes to most of the classical music, I'm really lost, because they don't even HAVE names.

'Etude no.xxx', 'Opus xxx, No.xxx', 'Waltz no.xxx' ???? What on earth is up with that? Yes, ballets and operas had names, most of their other works not. They didn't name their kids 'Mozart the 2nd, 3rd....'(although in Britain they seem to like that tradition).

Someone will ask "Don't you just love Chopin's Waltz op 64 no.2 in c sharp minor"... and I have no clue. Go to YouTube, type it in, hear the first few notes... OH THAT one! Yes, it's wonderful.

Imagine we were in that situation with modern music. "Oh, wasn't Beatles' no. 70 something?" "Did you hear Adele's new no.8?" I think we'd all be in the woods then.

Even car manufacturers give their models names, because they know that's how people will remember them (well, with a few exceptions).

This has always bothered me immensely. And I can't be the only one who has trouble remembering all these unnamed pieces of music.

Is there some scholastic explanation for this? Or is it just one of those things, to which we'll never get an answer?

I have lots of Beethoven's music, and the opuses and WOos flummox me too- I'll be like which one is that..? The oh yes, that one too lol

Some I don't forget like opus 130, as so many times I have listened to it...but yeah..

I think they didn't give them titles so as to make the music speak for itself, being absolute music rather than programme music.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission