2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
You are the only person who I've heard say they think Trifonov's emotional displays are not genuine. Your claim that my opinions have no substance is just your opinion although you state it as fact.

You should know by now that all my opinions have a basis in something tangible.

In my case, I've already stated why I believe Lang Lang is genuine - because he plays as per his personality, as can be seen on plenty of YouTube interviews. He is that sort of person, who displays his emotions openly. He also talks like that. He doesn't hold back, regardless of what people think of him. His facial expressions are about as transparent as it's possible to get.

Trifonov on the other hand, is not a person who displays his feelings openly, whether in interviews, or in his general demeanour. (Yes, I've also seen and heard him talk in person, away from the piano). Of course, that doesn't mean that he can't then cry while performing, and be so overcome with emotion that he can't (or won't) control his tears. But.......

I rest my case.........
Just because you base(or think you base) your opinions on something "tangible" doesn't mean other people have to. What may be tangible to you is not necessarily what other people think is the case.

For example, did it not occur to you that LL might "act" in his interviews just the way he acts when performing? That he would do this is incredibly obvious to me. Have you not noticed that when LL plays for a teacher in a master class or with an orchestra his movements and expressions are much less than when he plays solo. That LL is not genuine and is part showman at the piano is not something I made up but an extremely common opinion especially among pro pianists and critics.

What I see/hear in Trifonov interviews is not the same as what you hear. I hear someone who is very emotionally involved in music making. You may trust your impressions of people and call that tangible, but when I do the same thing you object.

B
B

For example, did it not occur to you that LL might "act" in his interviews just the way he acts when performing? That he would do this is incredibly obvious to me. Have you not noticed that when LL plays for a teacher in a master class or with an orchestra his movements and expressions are much less than when he plays solo. That LL is not genuine and is part showman at the piano is not something I made up but an extremely common opinion especially among pro pianists and critics.

What I see/hear in Trifonov interviews is not the same as what you hear. I hear someone who is very emotionally involved in music making. You may trust your impressions of people and call that tangible, but when I do the same thing you object.

You're clutching at more straws.
Of course pianists play differently when they have to accommodate other musicians. But in the case of Lang Lang - even in chamber music, when he's having to keep an eye on his fellow musicians, and he's not the 'star' soloist - his facial expressions are still as obvious. (Yes, I've also seen him perform Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn and Rachmaninov trios where he's out of the audience's limelight, mostly hidden behind his fellow musicians).

Let me direct you to the Chopin Competition 2010, where Trifonov played - before he became famous. Look at him playing emotional music there. That was just four years ago.
Then look at Lang Lang when he was a child.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

If music be the food of love, play on!
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I agree with both pianoloverus and bennevis. So why argue? Why not give both Trifonov and Lang Lang the benefit of the doubt? Trying to divine the emotional sincerity of any pianist is a pointless exercise. Any performer may be moved to tears at any point in time, but who are we to judge their motivation?

As Heather rightly points out, it's the music that matters.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bennevis

I wonder if Argerich, who raved about Trifonov, thinks he's just "middle of the road"(in your negative connotation)? Same question for the NY Times critic who raved about Trifonov's recent concert.

Compare his Tchaik 1 with Argerich's.

Or his Liszt Sonata. Or......

Although we all have our preferences and predilections, I have to say that this is a pretty goddamned good Liszt Sonata, and possibly the best one I've heard in years:

http://vimeo.com/73335683

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Damon
There is no crying in piano.

Reminds me of the Tom Hanks line in "A League of Their Own". ;-)

Maybe if you're playing at a funeral, but generally, mostly no....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I think can/can't is less relevant than should/shouldn't. I would even argue that, for any professional performers, the latter is far more important than the former. I'll explain my reasoning, and then answer the former.

For the purpose of my response, I won't consider social norms or "appropriateness", though it is a valid argument and worth consideration. But for the sake of brevity, I am only looking internally at the performer and what the performer does that influences the performance.

Here, I would contend that all performance is fake. I feel I must state that up front, because it will provide a basis for much of my response. A performer, by necessity, must maintain at least some separation from the subject's emotional state. I will use grief as an example, since it is relevant. If an actor cries on screen, the tears may be real, and at least some of the emotion may be real, but there is still a degree of separation from scenes of overwhelming grief. If the character is paralyzed with grief, the actor needs to portray this, but not be so paralyzed themselves. Therefore, the grief is minimized in the actor's mind to a controllable state. Hence, fake. All performance, in this way, and to varying degrees, is an illusion, and the effectiveness of that illusion determines the quality of the performance.

So, I bring this back to pianistic performance. If tears facilitate the necessary emotional state to properly express the music, then by all means, use them. If, instead, they hinder the performance, then do not use them. If you must actively hold them back, then practice them out of existence. Work and work during practice to distance yourself from the emotional draw of the music until you find the balance point that allows you to convey the musical idea to the best of your ability.

Now, to the original question of can/can't. I can't, but that's not to say that I can't. I specifically choose not to because, in my case, it would hinder the performance. But if the point of the performance were to cry, then yes. I could.

Last edited by Derulux; 12/31/14 07:12 AM. Reason: Grammar

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission