2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
We haven't yet determined that the OP actually has particularly small hands, have we? The fact that he is worried about not having a two octave span suggests that hand size might not be his problem.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BruceD
We haven't yet determined that the OP actually has particularly small hands, have we? The fact that he is worried about not having a two octave span suggests that hand size might not be his problem.

Indeed! My earlier post was, I thought obviously, sarcastic.

I don't think he means what he seems to mean.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I don't think he means what he seems to mean.

I am sure he doesn't. But does whatever he means make much more sense? wink

C
caters Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have seen intervals bigger than the major 9th I can reach, especially in piano solo reductions of symphonies. I have even seen some where I have to play a note higher than a major 9th while playing arpeggios in the lower part of my right hand and the left hand is doing its own thing(possibly part of the melody).

However the arpeggios I am restricted to when I play a major 9th interval are things like C F Ab B and for a minor 9th it is a little less restricted(I can do minor and major arpeggios but often the minor 9th interval goes away leaving me with a very consonant octave and I can do a major minor minor 9th chord(Major triad, minor 7th interval, minor 9th interval) and a minor 9th chord(minor 7th chord + minor 9th interval))

Last edited by caters; 01/03/15 03:29 PM.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by caters
I have even seen some where I have to play a note higher than a major 9th while playing arpeggios in the lower part of my right hand and the left hand is doing its own thing(possibly part of the melody).

You really don't have to. I assume you don't have a teacher to explain to you how those things are actually supposed to be played?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I have seen intervals bigger than the major 9th I can reach, especially in piano solo reductions of symphonies. I have even seen some where I have to play a note higher than a major 9th while playing arpeggios in the lower part of my right hand and the left hand is doing its own thing(possibly part of the melody).

However the arpeggios I am restricted to when I play a major 9th interval are things like C F Ab B and for a minor 9th it is a little less restricted(I can do minor and major arpeggios but often the minor 9th interval goes away leaving me with a very consonant octave and I can do a major minor minor 9th chord(Major triad, minor 7th interval, minor 9th interval) and a minor 9th chord(minor 7th chord + minor 9th interval))

The trolling continues.

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

The trolling continues.

Gee, that's awfully rude. Have you bothered to read some of his 200+ posts prior to this thread?

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
C
caters Offline OP
OP Offline
C
No I don't have a teacher. Mainly because my momma hasn't found a good teacher and my previous teacher behaved worse and worse towards me as I got to more and more advanced pieces. So for several years I have self taught myself how to play certain pieces like Fur Elise by Beethoven and Blumenlied by Gustav Lange.

Similarly I am self teaching myself how to play the flute, with some help from my momma.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by jazzyprof

The trolling continues.

Gee, that's awfully rude. Have you bothered to read some of his 200+ posts prior to this thread?

Almost all of the ones that I've seen involve trolling of some kind.

Regards,

Polyphonist
V
V
Originally Posted by jazzyprof

The trolling continues.

Almost all of the ones that I've seen involve trolling of some kind.

Polyphonist, read your posts. You'll see typical troll. caters is lesser troll than you.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Although your post would have been easier to comprehend had it been grammatically correct, I gather from it that you consider caters' incoherent rambling to be genuine. I fear I fail to understand this viewpoint.

Regards,

Polyphonist
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I can't reach 2 octaves due to my hand width being 5-6 maybe 7 inches.
Don't worry, no-one else can, either.
However I have seen some pieces that require me to reach much higher than a major 9th with my 5th finger of my right hand while playing chords in the lower part of my right hand.
What pieces are these? If I were playing something like you describe, I'd simply roll the chord, and so would most of us.
So how can I acheive this 2 octave reach in both hands...
You can't, so don't waste any of your time or risk injury by trying.
...so that I can comfortably play the moonlight sonata because that requires me to reach higher than a major 9th or even an octave + a minor 3rd(which I can reach but is uncomfortable to do so)...
People have asked you to tell us the bar number of this passage, but so far you haven't. I'm assuming you're not a troll, just a bit confused, so just tell us the bar number and someone here will be able to clear it up for you.

You also mention piano reductions (of orchestral works) which have huge stretches. These are either [1]reductions made by incompetent people who don't understand the piano, and think that all there is to writing a reduction is to put all the notes in somehow. Or: [2]reductions designed to show you everything in the score on two staves, to make it easier to study, but which are not designed to be performed as written, on the piano.

So if you just clear a few points up, people will be able to help, instead of accusing you of trolling.

Du holde Kunst...

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
No I don't have a teacher. Mainly because my momma hasn't found a good teacher and my previous teacher behaved worse and worse towards me as I got to more and more advanced pieces. So for several years I have self taught myself how to play certain pieces like Fur Elise by Beethoven and Blumenlied by Gustav Lange.

Similarly I am self teaching myself how to play the flute, with some help from my momma.

Seriously??? You've completely lost me with this post. ha

Perhaps you need to stick to the stem cell research. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

Do you self professed experts really believe any of the OP's statements? For once, Mark C. and I concur.

To be kind, ("my momma hasn't found a good teacher"). How could "momma" teach him how to 1) use the internet, and 2) lead him to post on PW.

The whole thing stinks!!!

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 01/04/15 08:44 AM. Reason: remove profanity.
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Kreisleriana #2 has a legitimate 2-octave reach in several spots, and the other hand is playing an octave at the same time so it can't help. It's not indicated as rolled. The only reasonable conclusion is that Clara Schumann must have had three hands.

B
B
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
The only reasonable conclusion is that Clara Schumann must have had three hands.

Isn't the nose the third hand?

Thought I believe that, because of its unique anatomical structure, it can only play one note at a time. Or possibly a glissando.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Kreisleriana #2 has a legitimate 2-octave reach in several spots....

Aren't those "spans," rather than reaches?

Offhand I don't even know where you might mean. I've played the piece and never had any issue like that, and if there were such actual reaches, I would have noticed something.

There are some large-spanned rolled chords, as there are in a lot of Schumann, and the opening has those wide-spanned gaps between some of the notes. But none of those are what I'd consider "reaches."

Originally Posted by bennevis
The only reasonable conclusion is that Clara Schumann must have had three hands.

Isn't the nose the third hand?....

I used that 'third hand' in a chord near the end of Ives' "The Alcotts." grin

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by bennevis

Isn't the nose the third hand?

Thought I believe that, because of its unique anatomical structure, it can only play one note at a time. Or possibly a glissando.

grin

I'm going to write a Glissando Etude which involves five simultaneous glissandi, all separated by an octave - the performer will have no choice but to use the nose for one of them. whome

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Kreisleriana #2 has a legitimate 2-octave reach in several spots, and the other hand is playing an octave at the same time so it can't help. It's not indicated as rolled. The only reasonable conclusion is that Clara Schumann must have had three hands.

Oh yeah, looks like there are a couple nose-spots in there:

[Linked Image]

Personally I prefer to use my tongue there on measure 24, and my big toe on measure 31.

Poetry is rhythm
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission