2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Macy, you're right about partial pedaling and repedaling. These are fine points that the best software pianos **should** address.

But, to everyone else: those items are down low on the list of priorities in a software piano. The piano should first **sound** like a piano. If it doesn't then the partial pedaling and repedaling just don't mean much.

So many of software pianos sound terrible. Pedaling authenticity won't fix those.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by PJ88
In that case, it should have been sold at $29.99, not $299.

$2.99 plus shipping and handling; but wait, if you order now, you get a free sustain pedal and two cookies.

M
M
Originally Posted by Macy
One piece of information from the Garritan Forum ... The CFX does NOT have partial pedaling or repedaling. The latter is a huge omission and a deal breaker for me as that is an essential element of emulating an acoustic piano.

I could almost (but not quite) live without partial pedaling, but never without repedaling. It is reported in the Garritan Forum that they are working on these features, but no time estimates are given. It's hard to believe that a new software piano could be introduced today without these key features that are present on virtually all the top software pianos introduced in the last several years, especially one being touted as state-of-the-art.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it hasn't come up, probably because it's something that every software piano has...but what's "repedaling" and how does it affect things if software lacks it?

Last edited by Morodiene; 06/14/14 11:49 PM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
Macy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Macy, you're right about partial pedaling and repedaling. These are fine points that the best software pianos **should** address.

But, to everyone else: those items are down low on the list of priorities in a software piano. The piano should first **sound** like a piano. If it doesn't then the partial pedaling and repedaling just don't mean much.

Totally agree that sound is the top priority. But a great sounding piano without repedaling won't do me any good at all, so that is very much a high priority to me.

So many of software pianos sound terrible.

But we have 3 or 4 very good to excellent sounding software pianos in the Vintage D, Ivory II Steinways, True Keys American, and perhaps a few others (depending on taste).

From what I've heard in a few snippets (sent to me by a user that I unfortunately can't share) the CFX can sound excellent too. But with no repedaling, it doesn't do me any good until that feature is added (if indeed it ever is).

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it hasn't come up, probably because it's something that every software piano has...but what's "repedaling" and how does it affect things if software lacks it?

Since Macy did not answer this, my guess is that it's the bloom or resumption of existing resonance, mostly on the bass, after the pedal is briefly lifted then pressed down again. In other words the resonance is stopped on pedal down, but if you are quick enough it resumes softer when the pedal is re-pressed. This is different from partial pedal.

M
Macy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Repedaling is when you release the damper pedal (often partially or fully) and press it again before notes have completely faded away. That catches the remaining sound of the notes that were previously being sustained as they fade away and sustains them again from that point in their decay. The effect is most prominent in the lower register of the piano since those notes have the longest decay times when damped. Repedaling is something you do purposely for the effect, but it also often occurs naturally during normal playing.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
B
B
Hi, I am a new poster:-)

I have purchased the Garritan CFX, and having no space at home for a real grand piano, I have collected a number of virtual pianos.

My Yamaha CVP609 is reasonably good as a master keyboard, and I find that playability of virtual
pianos is very much associated with controller keyboard action and finding the "correct" velocity curve.

Before the Garritan CFX was released, I had demoed Yamaha's new CLP575 and I liked the built-in CFX sound.
I had read and heard a lot about the Garritan Authorized Steinway which seems to be held in high regard although, surprisingly, discontinued.

Although the price of the Garritan CFX was comparitively high I bought it here in the UK.

It was delivered on a USB pen drive as a boxed product (no download option at this time, according
to 'Making Music' support), and on my PC (Intel i7-2940k CPU, 24GB memory, Samsung SSD for sample data).
It took almost exactly one hour for the installer to copy and decompress the usb files to
a Samsung SSD and which resulted in 122GB being occupied for a full samples installation.
(Initial loading of a full default preset takes only a few seconds however.)

I was initially underwhelmed while going through the "out of the box" presets and found it difficult
to emulate the sounds in the demos but in common with the other virtual pianos I own, some time spent
in setting the Garritan CFX VI's integral velocity curve for my CVP609 made a significant difference.
In my opinion, the velocity curve control that is integral to this virtual instrument could have been
better implimented, as there are effectively only two points on the "graph" which can be adjusted,
i.e. it is not as accurate or conveniently adjustable, or drawn, as with the Galaxy or Ravenscroft for example.

I am still tweaking around with velocity but imho the Garritan CFX has got the potential to be very
good indeed not only as regards the sound but also in playability.

I find tweaking the microphone faders can make a significant difference in the sound, as can the EQ settings.

I say "potential" because, again in my opinion, there are a couple of things I have reported back to
'Making Music' support that I would have thought should not have been compromised or omitted on a
'flagship' model, which the Yamaha CFX indeed is.

One of which is the absence of half-pedaling, or 'continuous pedaling', which I had got used to and
enjoyed, as what I thought was quite an important element of "piano technique", on the Galaxy and
Ravenscroft and on other virtual pianos that I own.

I posted my opinion on the Making Music Garritan forum, that it was dissapointing to find half-pedaling had been omitted.

'Making Music' support say that half pedaling on the Garritan AbbeyRoad CFX"is slated for a future upgrade".

I have uploaded a short wav file to Soundcloud, a relatively quiet piece, Chopin Prelude 4 recorded
directly to WAV via. the Aria engine (I am an amateur ) smile with the velocity curve I have
currently set for my CVP609 and with no EQ or reverb or anything, just the default
"full classic" mic "performer" perspective with the ambient and close levels slightly adjusted
and with the lid set to half.

https://soundcloud.com/brianr7/01-g...;utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=email

Brian

YamahaCLP585,Ivory AmericanD, VSL ViennaImperial, Pianoteq5 Stage,Galaxy GermanBabyGrand,Galaxy VintageD, GarritanAbbeyRoad CFX, VI Labs AmericanD, Ravenscroft 275, Imperfect Samples SteinwayComplete, ProductionVoices Production Grand, Audinate Dante, VSL MIR, Yamaha 01v96vcm, Yamaha HS80,HS10W
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
BrianR7

Sounds beautiful

I bought Garritan's CFX Concert Grand and used it on my piano solo compositions played back through Sibelius 7.5 music notation software.

My opinion is that it's currently the best piano sampling to date.

I'm not good at playing the piano but have some music playing in my head that I want to share to the world. So, I resorted to produce them electronically using music softwares (Sibelius 7.5 and CFX Concert Grand).

The piano sound may not be as real as the acoustic piano sound but it serves my purpose as an electronic piano solo music composer.

Synthesized piano solo relaxing music, meditative and inspirational, for calming your body, clearing your mind, and encouraging your spirit through life's stressors, uncertainties, and challenges.

Stream here: https://www.LCemusic.com.
Q
Q
For what it's worth I also purchased the Garritan CFX during the recent $199 holiday promotion..I have to say it is a very nice sounding piano with a warm tone. I also own 7CG Grand, 8dio Steinway 1969/1928, XLN Studio Grand and Imperfekt Fazioli. For me personally it is much better than all of these in tonal sound and has a good number of velocity layers to work with. The 1969 Steinway has a good tone as well, but the 8dio samples barely have any velocity layers, making them really hard and tedious to work when doing piano heavy work.

One downside is it takes a reasonable amount of time to load the samples..Not too bad on a fast SSD, but if you have an older hard drive, something to keep in mind.

Here's a piano solo composition I posted just yesterday that uses only the Garritan CFX (compact edition used, with minimal EQ, and some very faint pads in the background at some points):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThsW9zHyiR4

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- quantum, thanks for posting up your track. While it's a commendable recording and sounds polished it's somewhat contained in a narrow dynamic range so fairly difficult to distinguish it from other very good 'rounded' sounding libraries. The few libraries you mention by comparison are already known to me (except the XLN Studio) and, to be honest, I wasn't impressed by any of them.

Did you by any chance get an opportunity to try any of Ivory II, Galaxy, the new NI collection or, in particular, the Ravenscroft which I suspect it might resemble? I'm very tempted to try the CFX during the current UK sale but am a little concerned that the margin of improvement or difference in character compared to these other libraries will be too small to justify splurging more cash.

Q
Q
I hear ya..I haven't personally used the Ivory II, Galaxy, Ravenscroft, etc. To me the front runners were the Ravenscroft, Production Grand Gold and Garritan CFX. Then I came across this thread on gearslutz:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mus...t.html?highlight=ultimate+piano+shootout

And after carefully listening to everything there and comparing the three, the CFX was a clear winner for me, mostly because of the added warmth the tone brings. But Ravenscroft and Production Grand both still sound good to me, I'm just not made of money to own them all smile

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by quantum81
... I'm just not made of money to own them all smile

yep, ditto...thanks for coming back.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission