2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
I think yes! The eminent drummer Jack deJohnette said during his masterclass in Jerusalem the following brilliant phrase: "I play on drums like on the piano".Do not even need to mention that J. DeJ. Is a professional pianist.
Between the drums and keyboard there are too many similarities to ignore the drumming skills.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Since you pose it as a question, Nahum, I'd say no, but it does depend on genre too.

Think about, for example, the clav and the Rhodes piano in the context of funk (Hammond too but not so much in funk). What is essential here is not just how to bash out a tattoo but a clear understanding about long and short notes/chords - this is a dimension not required and therefore lacking in drum technique.

The time spent honing paradiddles would be better spent on techniques specific to and required by the instrument.

If you're going to live till you're 300 I might revise that opinion.

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Since you pose it as a question, Nahum, I'd say no, but it does depend on genre too.

We're talking about jazz, pop and rock music? Then it is IMO absolutely necessary - to begin the first lesson not with chords or tunes , but with rhythms. If there is a drum kit - you can start with it, If there is a built-in within a keyboard - you can use it. Piano at the beginning is not the best tool for this; but the melodica perfectly helps!

Think about, for example, the clav and the Rhodes piano in the context of funk (Hammond too but not so much in funk). What is essential here is not just how to bash out a tattoo but a clear understanding about long and short notes/chords - this is a dimension not required and therefore lacking in drum technique.

I think this view is not exact, these qualities have one answer - High hat! Among the percussion, he is the most versatile tool: it has a long and short sounds,   high and   (relatively) low, accented and unaccented sounds and ghosts - sounds; single sounds and complex (like the chord). No wonder that Max Roach played the entire solo only on high hat - I saw him in concert.

Only listen to his melodies!

The time spent honing paradiddles would be better spent on techniques specific to and required by the instrument.

To paraphrase "The drummer - a musician's best friend!" (Drummers between us, forgive me! - I love and respect you!) - "The drummers learn paradiddles, pianists - groove and accurate articulation of phrases" .

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I've been messing around with a piano version of High Heeled Sneakers. Put aside the fact that here and there it's a six-finger job (as distinct from 2 arms!) and that those fingers aren't all playing at the same time. What I'm really trying to do here is to get the left hand to simulate a guitar groove while the RH chunks out some version of the melody and supports the LH groove in the holes left by the melody. I've got two choices.

i) Learn to play the guitar first.
ii) Stick with the piano and figure out how to adapt a guitar riff using skills only a pianist has at his disposal.

Guess what I'm going to choose.

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
dire tonic , You are a beginner? If not, what is written above  does not apply to you.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
The problem is getting a drum set. If I had one I would play.

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
I repeat : If there is a drum kit - you can start with it, ]If there is a built-in within a keyboard - you can use it

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Interesting topic. I do have more trouble with different and syncopated rhythms in both hands at the same time, with some 'pop' songs, compared to most of the classical pieces learnt so far at my level.

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Interesting topic. I do have more trouble with different and syncopated rhythms in both hands at the same time, with some 'pop' songs, compared to most of the classical pieces learnt so far at my level.
How do you solve this problem on the piano?

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
No, but Stevie Wonder and Mel Torme come to mind immediately (of course Torme was more of a drummer than pianist).

My son is a jazz pianist with classical training. It was a requirement of his middle and high school jazz bands that you had to be a member of the regular band, so he had to find a second instrument in order to play piano in the jazz bands. He chose percussion, and it made him a better pianist and musician in general.

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
Which pianist has such clarity and precision?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Nahum
dire tonic , You are a beginner? If not, what is written above  does not apply to you.

- ah!, so this is a proposal mainly for beginners?...ok, why not. I would expect benefit sometimes but maybe not always? And there's the problem of commitment to one instrument....dunno....

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Nahum
Which pianist has such clarity and precision?

But it's as though he's playing his vibes rather than piano. And it's a party trick.

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by dire tonic
And there's the problem of commitment to one instrument.
It is the law?

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Vibraphonists often came from either camp. Drums or piano. Hampton was drums I think. He was likely faster as a result, plus he could swing like crazy, but others with keyboard background could also hold their own.

I don't think it is necessary. I also saw mentioned elsewhere, that learning sax should be sought to open the ears. Exposure to other instruments I do not think will be a bad thing, but I do not think is necessary. The draw back could be diluting the targeted outcome ... A man of all trades is a master of none.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Greener
Vibraphonists often came from either camp. Drums or piano. Hampton was drums I think. He was likely faster as a result, plus he could swing like crazy, but others with keyboard background could also hold their own.

I don't think it is necessary. I also saw mentioned elsewhere, that learning sax should be sought to open the ears. Exposure to other instruments I do not think will be a bad thing, but I do not think is necessary. The draw back could be diluting the targeted outcome ... A man of all trades is a master of none.

That's how I see it too. Ok, only two trades, perhaps, but time is usually not on our side.

I was thinking about Victor Feldman only the other day (one of the uk's rare talents who wisely took himself off to the States). He started out on drums, apparently.

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
We study the theory, because we need it, not because we want to be professional musicologist . Same with drumming. I thought it was clear to anyone , but turns out that is not.Play jazz and to have a bad rhythm feel just makes no sense.Passes through my hands a lot of such students; and what I can do in piano class?
So to say, the fruits of rhythmic education ...

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

If you're trying to play a song from one of those commercially produced song books then expect to run into trouble more often than not!

I knocked out lead sheets for a couple of years and had a friend who scored out quite a few of these piano 'transcriptions'. The pay wasn't great so for efficiency his method was like most others doing that job. He'd take the lead sheet (top line, sung melody), add RH chords under the top line where he thought fit/necessary/appropriate. Invent some sort of LH groove based on a mix of what the drums/bass/guitar were doing on the original track. He was fast with notation so rarely bothered to actually put his hands together to play what he'd written, in fact he'd often chuckle gleefully that they were unplayable!

Not always true. Ballads were usually safer but 'rock' and up-tempo pop stuff was often a travesty. A mix of LH and RH ideas that were simply not pianistic. Better to arrange your own!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
There are tons of great reasons for pianists to play drums and Jack DeJohnnette, Chick Corea, Lionel Hampton, George Colligan, Stevie Wonder, and others are among them. And it's true that musicians benefit from whatever they do to increase their rhythmic sensibility and ability.

BUT. I'd never attach the words "must" or "necessary" to pianism and drumming as has-to-be pair of things. As a pair, they're not the whole story or the "secret" method. They're just "great" things to do–a pianist who plays the drums is going to learn a lot from that that. A WHOLE LOT as Nahum has said.

So while there are plenty of "name" musicians we can quote who advise "this way of doing it" or "that way of doing it their all examples of a point rather than universals that prove truth. The key is to find "which of the ways" among the "many ways" are the most beneficial of "all the ways." Great musicians find great ways to learn. But is there one way? A has-to-be-do-it-this-way sort of way?

Here's a great video with Steve Gadd playing with Chick Corea. The rhythmic interplay between everyone on the bandstand goes beyond wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vrLAK_CZrY

.... here are videos out there in Youtube land where Steve Gadd talks about Chick Corea's DRUMMING as being a huge influence on him. .... many musicians .... many paths ....

Last edited by Mark Polishook; 01/05/15 06:58 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
no, pianists don't need to learn to play drums any more than they need to learn to play another instrument. Probably 90% of pianists don't play drums. Who says you won't have good rhythm if you don't study drums?

Interestingly, it seems that quite a few drummers actually play piano, as do musicians of other instruments. Everyone seems to gravitate to piano at one point or another as part of rounding out their musical skills.

Last edited by Michael Martinez; 01/05/15 08:51 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission