2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

The similarity of tie and slur notation has always bothered me, but I haven't found a case of real ambiguity until this prelude.

There is a slur/tie connecting the D in the RH chord of measure 3 to the next measure, as marked in red. (The same slur/tie occurs in the LH.) The question is: Does the D get played again at the beginning of measure 4?

The answer, according to every recording I sampled, is: yes. But how would we know that without recordings? What in the score tells us to replay that note; i.e. what tells us the marking is supposed to be a slur, and not a tie?

-Jason

V
V

There is an tenuto above notes on first beat. It indicates that it's a slur not a tie.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Generally, the way I know is by examining where on the notehead the end of the marking lands. If it is in the middle, it's a tie; if it is above or near the top (or underneath, as the case may be), it's a slur. That usually works for me. But sure, if the spot in question is visually complicated, it can be hard to tell. And engraving isn't always as clear as it should be, either.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by verqueue

There is an tenuto above notes on first beat. It indicates that it's a slur not a tie.

Also, the fingering for the note is given there, and not in the earlier chord, which is where it normally would be if it were a tie.

T
T
When I learned this piece (w/o a teacher) I always played the Ds. I probably did this because I'd heard a number of recordings of it, and it sounded right.

I think a bigger question for me was how to pedal this. The "melodic" chords are long and sustained. However the lower "accompanimental" chords are very specifically marked staccato. I always pedaled through them in order to keep the line intact. So the accompaniment was *played* staccato but since the pedal was down they were also sustained. I suppose one could use the sostenuto pedal, but that just seemed pointlessly complex and I don't think I've heard a recording where someone does that. Please post a link to one if you can find it!

--------------------------
Bach WTC 1 #7
Brahms Op 76 #1, Op 118 #5
Debussy Suite Bergamasque
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You're right that it's a bit ambigious, but the D is already linked with a tie on bar 3 (last in the 1st system), so there's no need to tie that again...

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
In my edition, the slur starts on the quarter note d, making it very clear that the half note d in the next measure is played.

In your edition, this is clearly shown in the left hand of the same measure.

Great piece. Have fun.

Edit: Interesting, my edition is identical with down to the sub-millimetre placement of rests and dynamic markings, except for that one slur. Weird.

Last edited by prout; 01/07/15 09:16 AM.
J
J
Originally Posted by TimV
When I learned this piece (w/o a teacher) I always played the Ds. I probably did this because I'd heard a number of recordings of it, and it sounded right.

I think a bigger question for me was how to pedal this. The "melodic" chords are long and sustained. However the lower "accompanimental" chords are very specifically marked staccato. I always pedaled through them in order to keep the line intact. So the accompaniment was *played* staccato but since the pedal was down they were also sustained. I suppose one could use the sostenuto pedal, but that just seemed pointlessly complex and I don't think I've heard a recording where someone does that. Please post a link to one if you can find it!

TimV:

Alexis Weissenberg's recording does something like what you describe, though I *think*, rather than using the sostenuto pedal, he lifts his fingers and silently replaces them on the chord.

Weissenberg Rachmaninoff B-minor Prelude

Jeff Kallberg

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I have played it both ways - with, and without the sostenuto. I like the purity achieved with the sostenuto, but the pedal is not always available to the performer.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling that the actual giveaway is the fingering. There's very little fingering in this edition and I think it's Rachmaninoff's. Of all the things to give fingering for, those B minor triads are strange choices... unless the point is really to tell us to replay the top notes.

-J

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425
....What in the score tells us to replay that note; i.e. what tells us the marking is supposed to be a slur, and not a tie?

....I have a feeling that the actual giveaway is the fingering....

Assuming that what we're seeing there is for real (i.e. from Rachmaninoff rather than some editor), to me the giveaway is that 'accent' mark (or whatever we should call it) over the D.

Even without that mark, I would have thought it pretty certain that you re-strike the D, just from the 'ear test' (i.e. what seems to make sense to the ear), but with that mark, IMO there's just no doubt.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....What in the score tells us to replay that note; i.e. what tells us the marking is supposed to be a slur, and not a tie?

....I have a feeling that the actual giveaway is the fingering....

Assuming that what we're seeing there is for real (i.e. from Rachmaninoff rather than some editor), to me the giveaway is that 'accent' mark (or whatever we should call it) over the D.

Even without that mark, I would have thought it pretty certain that you re-strike the D, just from the 'ear test' (i.e. what seems to make sense to the ear), but with that mark, IMO there's just no doubt.

If everyone would look carefully, the lower staff has the identical structure, only the phrase mark (NOT a slur) is misplaced in the upper staff. My copy, has it printed correctly, if such a thing as 'correctly' exists in the music publishing world.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member

(I assume you mean the D in measure 4.) Maybe. It's certainly a good hint, although I can imagine a world where the D is tied and that mark is supposed to apply to the lower notes in the chord.

Here I'll disagree! I think it's impossible to separate "what seems to make sense to the ear" from "what you're heard your whole life". I think, although it's difficult to prove one way or the other, that to someone who didn't know this piece it would sound good either way.

-J

....Maybe. It's certainly a good hint, although I can imagine a world where the D is tied and that mark is supposed to apply to the lower notes in the chord.

I have to give a flat 'no' on that, because if it were that, Rachmaninoff never would have put that accent mark exactly where it is. (Assuming again that the mark is for real.)

Even without that mark,.....

You forgot the comma after "that."

(Kidding.) grin

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
As a supplement to the points made above, my Boosey & Hawkes edition settles the matter by saying in its editorial report: "...it is clear from the manuscript that the slurs refer to the lower voices and that the upper minims are not to be tied." In my edition, all slurs that were incorrectly placed in the first Gutheil edition have been corrected.

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
Originally Posted by SlatterFan
As a supplement to the points made above, my Boosey & Hawkes edition settles the matter by saying in its editorial report: "...it is clear from the manuscript that the slurs refer to the lower voices and that the upper minims are not to be tied." In my edition, all slurs that were incorrectly placed in the first Gutheil edition have been corrected.

Nice job! -- except that the Brits have got to stop using a word like "minim," which sounds like something minimal, for a long note. grin

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SlatterFan
In my edition, all slurs that were incorrectly placed in the first Gutheil edition have been corrected.
If the implication here is that, at least in theory, ties are supposed to be visually attached to the noteheads while slurs are supposed to be visually placed above the noteheads, then I'm happy.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission