Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (Azeyic, Allochi, augustm, barbaram, AZNpiano, 16 invisible), 1031 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2371804 - 01/09/15 10:54 PM Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Good afternoon chaps,

A new 'Virtual Technician' iPad app is now freely available from the Appstore, allowing Kawai CN25/CN35 and CP1/CP2/CP3 owners to adjust their instrument's Virtual Technician parameters from an attractive touch interface.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/virtual-technician/id948579667

If you're an owner of one of the supported models, please give the app a try and feel free to leave your comments below.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2371865 - 01/10/15 04:53 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
mabraman Online   content

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Cool!

#2371869 - 01/10/15 05:49 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Exo Offline

Loc: Germany
I like to have the app for my android tablet and MP7/11 compatible. :-)

Alfred's Basic Adult Course Book #1 Lessons (MuseScore 2.x and mp3)

#2371899 - 01/10/15 09:22 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Might be handy for CN25 owners since they don't have any sort of built in display, but unless it allows you to do anything you can't already do through the DP's UI, I don't see how this would be worth the hassle of plugging in an iPad.

Give the app the ability to precisely create your own touch curve graphically like you can in Pianoteq, and the ability to store, name, and easily recall presets, and you might have something useful.

#2371902 - 01/10/15 09:37 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
ando Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Looks interesting, but why such a limited range of models? Surely all the CA models deserve such an app? Is this a test run before rolling out apps for other models? I definitely agree that this should be available on Android. The days of Apple monopoly on tablets are long gone. Everybody should develop apps for several platforms (at least the 2 leading ones), or it becomes an alliance that discourages competition. I don't like that.

#2371911 - 01/10/15 10:09 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
ElmerJFudd Offline

It looks like Kawai is analyzing their market. It's time consuming and expensive to invest in Software development on multiple platforms, Mac OS, Win, iOS, Android. So they'll see if there is any interest in the application based on how often it's downloaded and feedback from its users. If they find it's a desirable feature or what they call an "added value" and increases Sales of their digital pianos, they'll expand models and platforms. If it doesn't have these desired effects they'll drop it or limit it to one or two operating systems their data says most of their customers use. Generally speaking, the data currently shows that iOS users are desirable customers, they buy products, upgrade, and are willing to pay for good Software or features.

#2372321 - 01/11/15 12:11 PM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
rungabic Offline

I would certainly hope this app will soon support the MP11 (and MP7). Although it might not technically be needed, why shouldn't we get to enjoy the "attractive touch interface"? (And it does look very nice...)

#2374501 - 01/16/15 08:09 PM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
bmrzycki Offline

Hi James, first I'd like to give a big thank you to you and the other members of the Kawai family that made the MP11 possible. I absolutely love it and find it compares quite well to my teacher's Steinway and Baldwin pianos.

I'd like to echo the request for MP11 support. One of the main reasons I purchased an iPad was the community of audio application developers for it and that extra audio input + fader on the MP11 for a total of 4 layers. Having this app would be so much nicer than navigating the LCD screen. Don't get me wrong, the interface of the MP11 is well thought out but a touchable UI with instructions and diagrams really helps understand how the changes affect the overall sound. Even if it's only initial support for the Piano layer I'd be happy with that, it's the main reason I purchased the MP11 after all. smile

I have a few nascent projects with Lemur to attempt what is already done here by Kawai and I'm sure they know their SysEx codes much more comprehensively than ever could. I'd eventually like to be able to switch settings for layers and also do midi playback (piano player style) from the iPad.

The idea to save/load technician profiles is a good one and I think would encourage community support of emulating sound/styles of various other keybeds/instruments.

The ability to set the velocity curve for User 1/User 2 with a touchable curve, much like the adjustments you can do in software like Pianoteq would be wonderful:

Thanks for listening and I hope to someday use this app and provide even more meaningful feedback.

-Brian

Edited by bmrzycki (01/16/15 08:10 PM)

#2374826 - 01/17/15 08:19 PM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]

Thank you for the suggestions Brian.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2375086 - 01/18/15 02:08 PM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: ando]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: ando
Looks interesting, but why such a limited range of models? Surely all the CA models deserve such an app? Is this a test run before rolling out apps for other models? I definitely agree that this should be available on Android. The days of Apple monopoly on tablets are long gone. Everybody should develop apps for several platforms (at least the 2 leading ones), or it becomes an alliance that discourages competition. I don't like that.

+1

#2375252 - 01/18/15 10:15 PM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
PianoManChuck Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Why would anyone want to have yet another piece of hardware (ie: iPad / iPhone) to do what you can do on the MP11 / MP7 already? Touch screen capability or not, it just seems quite redundant to me.

Edited by PianoManChuck (01/18/15 10:17 PM)

#2375322 - 01/19/15 05:44 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: PianoManChuck]
9190 Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoManChuck
Why would anyone want to have yet another piece of hardware (ie: iPad / iPhone) to do what you can do on the MP11 / MP7 already? Touch screen capability or not, it just seems quite redundant to me.

I had the same thoughts before reading this post. Agree. Especially MP7/MP11 have easy user-friendly interface and control. I understand if it is for young musicians that have digital pianos in traditional cabinets with tiny screens. But young musicians hardly have MP11 or MP7.

And of course I much prefer real knobs, sliders in MP7/MP11 to any touch screen especially in separate device.

#2381163 - 02/02/15 02:48 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Markarian Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle Area
Also would love an Android app for the MP11, or even a Windows app for tweaking it via USB would be even better. Korg's got one for their SV-1.

#2381537 - 02/02/15 08:37 PM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
The iPad and other devices already play a big part in music production/recording/playing, and many of these DP's have MIDI controls so it is inevitable that people are going to be using tablets. Obviously you don't have to use the app but people who will be using their iPad a lot anyway will probably like the idea.

My guess is that Kawai is trying out a new product on a select few models, to nail down the basics and make sure things are working right. I would bet heavily that these apps will be available for the MP series DPs in the future.

But this is just my opinion, which is worth as much as anyone paid for it.

#2381636 - 02/03/15 02:39 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Joe Garfield]
OneWatt Offline

Loc: Mountain Time, USA
Originally Posted By: Joe Garfield
The iPad and other devices already play a big part in music production/recording/playing, and many of these DP's have MIDI controls so it is inevitable that people are going to be using tablets. Obviously you don't have to use the app but people who will be using their iPad a lot anyway will probably like the idea.

My guess is that Kawai is trying out a new product on a select few models, to nail down the basics and make sure things are working right. I would bet heavily that these apps will be available for the MP series DPs in the future.

But this is just my opinion, which is worth as much as anyone paid for it.

Joe -

Your guess is as good as mine (probably better!) as to what Kawai's business thinking is here ... candidly, if an MP7/11 app were now available that was oriented toward changing "virtual technician" settings, I'd not likely bother to download it. Just one more thing to keep track of, while the ability to change settings right from the MP itself is convenient enough (straightforward and self-contained).

Now ... if it could serve as a "library" to save/store custom SOUNDS and SETUPS and move them around the various button assignments (A, B, C ... 1, 2, 3, etc.) then THAT would be a great timesaver and superb backup support tool.

But for me, to be able to mess with the virtual tech settings on an iPad or Android device - even with pretty graphics - creates an extra step (= less productivity, not more).

My US$0.02 - OneWatt

#2399544 - 03/18/15 02:16 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]

A quick bump to inform everyone that the Virtual Technician app has been updated to support the new CA97/CA67 models.

Quote:
What's New in Version 1.1.9

* Added support for connecting to CA97/CA67

* Added support for the following CA97/CA67-specific features:
- Smart Mode preset selection (including ability to store user presets)
- Undamped String Resonance page
- Cabinet Resonance page
- Half-Pedal Adjust page displays the current damper pedal position
- Touch Curve page displays the current User touch curve graph
- Voicing page displays current User voicing setting, and allows adjustment

* Added support for Quicco Sound mi.1 (Bluetooth LE MIDI interface) on iOS8+
- Owners of the mi.1 (sold separately) can now use the Virtual Technician app to adjust their Kawai digital piano wirelessly.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2399549 - 03/18/15 02:50 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Jasper E. Offline

Originally Posted By ElmerJFudd
It's time consuming and expensive to invest in Software development on multiple platforms, Mac OS, Win, iOS, Android.
[...] Generally speaking, the data currently shows that iOS users are desirable customers, they buy products, upgrade, and are willing to pay for good Software or features.

Does anyone have experience with Kawai Virtual Technician on an iPad simulator? Is it possible to control Kawai pianos from the PC that way?

#2399579 - 03/18/15 05:56 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By Kawai James
A quick bump to inform everyone that the Virtual Technician app has been updated to support the new CA97/CA67 models.

Not for CA95/CA65 models too? Why not? I don't own an iPad so this doesn't really affect me anyway, but it does feel rather like existing owners have been abandoned... didn't the CA95/CA65 come out in late 2012, so only just over 2 years ago? It seems like the CA95/CA65 could actually benefit from this app more than the new models, particular with regard to user presets.

#2399582 - 03/18/15 06:10 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: lolatu]

Originally Posted By lolatu
Not for CA95/CA65 models too?

No, I'm afraid not.

Why not?

I don't believe the CA95/CA65 allow settings to be adjusted externally.

I don't own an iPad so this doesn't really affect me anyway...

Okay.

...but it does feel rather like existing owners have been abandoned...

I appreciate your point, however 'abandoned' is perhaps a little harsh. I believe you're still able to enjoy your CA95, just as you always have done - today's announcement does not reduce its existing functionality in any way.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2399644 - 03/18/15 10:24 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Tralexer Offline

Sweet! Good to see you guys so actively pushing the ability of Digital Pianos.

Any word on when CA97s are going to make it through the Long Beach port? I want mine!

#2399842 - 03/18/15 09:17 PM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Tralexer]

Originally Posted By Octaves_Up
Any word on when CA97s are going to make it through the Long Beach port? I want mine!

I'm afraid I don't have any insider information from this side of the Pacific. wink Please contact your Kawai dealer and/or Kawai America for up-to-date availability information.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2400061 - 03/19/15 09:49 AM Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Tralexer Offline

Originally Posted By Kawai James
Originally Posted By Octaves_Up

I'm afraid I don't have any insider information from this side of the Pacific. wink Please contact your Kawai dealer and/or Kawai America for up-to-date availability information.

Kind regards,
James
x

Psh fine! Haha, I kid. I'm just excited smile You can expect a new post (and pics!) on this forum when mine is finally sitting in my music studio!

#2412345 - 29 minutes 9 seconds ago Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]
tabber Online   content

Loc: London, UK
That mi.1 sounds interesting, anyone have experience of using it? Not just for this Virtual Technician app, although that sounds useful (I'd much prefer to use an interface like that than a relatively small LCD and buttons), but also whether this means you can buy a USB bluetooth dongle for a PC/Mac and have wireless MIDI between PC and the piano. There is no mention of it on the quicco website, so wondered if anyone here had tried it. I search for mi.1, but only this thread came up.

Or, are there better ways of getting wireless MIDI? I will probably have a few metres between my PC and CA97 (When it arrives), with a doorway in between, so cables would be less than ideal.

#2412351 - 7 minutes 0 seconds ago Re: Kawai 'Virtual Technician' iPad app now available [Re: Kawai James]

tabber, I use an mi.1 with my Nord to control music apps on my iPad such as Module, NeoSoul Keys, and Galileo Organ. The latency is a little higher than with a wired USB connection, but with native BlueTooth LE and MIDI support in iOS, it's very acceptable.

The device can also be used with Macs running the latest OS X, however I don't believe PCs are supported.

There are other wireless MIDI solutions available, but they are more expensive/less elegant than the mi.1.

Kind regards,
James
x

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
circle of 5ths coaster
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Hal Leonard Teacher VIP
Hal Leonard Teacher VIP Your Source for Piano Music
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Piano Teaching Legacy of Solomon Mikowsky
by Molto lombardo
Today at 03:36 AM
Amateur-tuned and voiced! piano. How does it sound to you?
by JohnCKL
Today at 03:35 AM
BEST FOR CARRYING AROUND?
by peterws
Today at 03:25 AM
How to practise to play relaxed
by johan d
Today at 02:12 AM
Es7 advice
by Covfam73
Today at 01:04 AM
What's Hot!!
Trade Regrets: Gary Trafton - Piano Rep
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
78,968 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,395 Topics
2,398,090 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission