2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My bane is a vacuum cleaner. A dishwasher is almost as bad.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
New Years Eve: Balloon pumps! I still manage.

Semipro Tech

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
My bane is a vacuum cleaner. A dishwasher is almost as bad.

Yes, yes, and weed eater even in the distance. Movement of people through the room was a problem too. Bends the pitch. But I could never think of a good way to tell a client to sit down. So, as they'd pass through I'd turn my head opposite to put a "counter bend" in it grin

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Often the first tuning is during the get-in. Extra risers are being constructed out of scaffolding, heavy stuff being dragged along the floor. Sometimes a partial pitch adjustment, mostly not. The midday tuning is sometimes done with the tuner wearing a hard hat because the lights are being installed overhead but this is usually quieter. The last tuning may be only twenty minutes during last minute volume settings for the voice- overs and the studio audience coming in.

Makes me glad I developed my phlegmatic attitude during those summer afternoon four o'clock rural American tunings while the neighbourhood formation law mowing team was rehearsing outside.

I really love the hurly burly fully alive atmosphere of it all. It doesn't happen often but it doesn't happen often enough for me.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Back when I worked for the school district, there were two occasions where I tuned a piano in an elementary school cafeteria; once during picture day with the room full of chatty kids, and once during lunchtime, where the kids had to scream at each other over the noise of the over-door squirrel cage blowers. Both were aural tunings.

They came out just fine...

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My favorite tuning challenge was early in my career. I was called to tune a piano that was in a gymnasium at the local college. They were having an event and realized at the last minute that the piano was out of tune. It so happened that the event was a state hand bell choir conference! With handbell choirs practicing in the background, I can only imagine that my tuning was somewhat of an approximation. shocked

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rysowers
My favorite tuning challenge was early in my career. I was called to tune a piano that was in a gymnasium at the local college. They were having an event and realized at the last minute that the piano was out of tune. It so happened that the event was a state hand bell choir conference! With handbell choirs practicing in the background, I can only imagine that my tuning was somewhat of an approximation. shocked

Ugh! Apparently approximations work in some cases. I tuned for a Loggins and Messina concert where the place was a bedlam of set-up noise. When I gave up and called it done, the stage manager clapped his hands and let out a piercing whistle. He shouted for silence, then walked over and checked the piano. I heard a wobbly unison, but he pronounced it "Perfect" and wrote out a check. I wanted to correct the unison, but someone was already playing heavy left-hand piano, so I left.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
I am working on an electronic unit that uses a clip on accelerometer microphone with canal phones. Accelerometers do not pick up as much ambient noise. Option to cover the phones with those ear muff type hearing protectors. You cannot hear anything through those babies. The unit will also be a tunable band pass filter. Of course the motivation to design and build one is...I WANT ONE!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission