2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Good afternoon chaps,

A new 'Virtual Technician' iPad app is now freely available from the Appstore, allowing Kawai CN25/CN35 and CP1/CP2/CP3 owners to adjust their instrument's Virtual Technician parameters from an attractive touch interface.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/virtual-technician/id948579667

If you're an owner of one of the supported models, please give the app a try and feel free to leave your comments below.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Cool!

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
E
Exo Offline
E
I like to have the app for my android tablet and MP7/11 compatible. :-)

Strings: PRS 513
Keys: Kawai MP7
Cats: 2 x European Shorthair

Alfred's Basic Adult Course Book #1 Lessons (MuseScore 2.x and mp3)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Might be handy for CN25 owners since they don't have any sort of built in display, but unless it allows you to do anything you can't already do through the DP's UI, I don't see how this would be worth the hassle of plugging in an iPad.

Give the app the ability to precisely create your own touch curve graphically like you can in Pianoteq, and the ability to store, name, and easily recall presets, and you might have something useful.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Looks interesting, but why such a limited range of models? Surely all the CA models deserve such an app? Is this a test run before rolling out apps for other models? I definitely agree that this should be available on Android. The days of Apple monopoly on tablets are long gone. Everybody should develop apps for several platforms (at least the 2 leading ones), or it becomes an alliance that discourages competition. I don't like that.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It looks like Kawai is analyzing their market. It's time consuming and expensive to invest in Software development on multiple platforms, Mac OS, Win, iOS, Android. So they'll see if there is any interest in the application based on how often it's downloaded and feedback from its users. If they find it's a desirable feature or what they call an "added value" and increases Sales of their digital pianos, they'll expand models and platforms. If it doesn't have these desired effects they'll drop it or limit it to one or two operating systems their data says most of their customers use. Generally speaking, the data currently shows that iOS users are desirable customers, they buy products, upgrade, and are willing to pay for good Software or features.

R
R
I would certainly hope this app will soon support the MP11 (and MP7). Although it might not technically be needed, why shouldn't we get to enjoy the "attractive touch interface"? (And it does look very nice...)

B
B
Hi James, first I'd like to give a big thank you to you and the other members of the Kawai family that made the MP11 possible. I absolutely love it and find it compares quite well to my teacher's Steinway and Baldwin pianos.

I'd like to echo the request for MP11 support. One of the main reasons I purchased an iPad was the community of audio application developers for it and that extra audio input + fader on the MP11 for a total of 4 layers. Having this app would be so much nicer than navigating the LCD screen. Don't get me wrong, the interface of the MP11 is well thought out but a touchable UI with instructions and diagrams really helps understand how the changes affect the overall sound. Even if it's only initial support for the Piano layer I'd be happy with that, it's the main reason I purchased the MP11 after all. smile

I have a few nascent projects with Lemur to attempt what is already done here by Kawai and I'm sure they know their SysEx codes much more comprehensively than ever could. I'd eventually like to be able to switch settings for layers and also do midi playback (piano player style) from the iPad.

The idea to save/load technician profiles is a good one and I think would encourage community support of emulating sound/styles of various other keybeds/instruments.

The ability to set the velocity curve for User 1/User 2 with a touchable curve, much like the adjustments you can do in software like Pianoteq would be wonderful:
[Linked Image]

Thanks for listening and I hope to someday use this app and provide even more meaningful feedback.

-Brian

Last edited by bmrzycki; 01/16/15 09:10 PM.
OP Offline
Thank you for the suggestions Brian.

Kind regards,
James
x

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ando
Looks interesting, but why such a limited range of models? Surely all the CA models deserve such an app? Is this a test run before rolling out apps for other models? I definitely agree that this should be available on Android. The days of Apple monopoly on tablets are long gone. Everybody should develop apps for several platforms (at least the 2 leading ones), or it becomes an alliance that discourages competition. I don't like that.

+1

P
P
Why would anyone want to have yet another piece of hardware (ie: iPad / iPhone) to do what you can do on the MP11 / MP7 already? Touch screen capability or not, it just seems quite redundant to me.

Last edited by PianoManChuck; 01/18/15 11:17 PM.

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoManChuck
Why would anyone want to have yet another piece of hardware (ie: iPad / iPhone) to do what you can do on the MP11 / MP7 already? Touch screen capability or not, it just seems quite redundant to me.

I had the same thoughts before reading this post. Agree. Especially MP7/MP11 have easy user-friendly interface and control. I understand if it is for young musicians that have digital pianos in traditional cabinets with tiny screens. But young musicians hardly have MP11 or MP7.

And of course I much prefer real knobs, sliders in MP7/MP11 to any touch screen especially in separate device.

KAWAI MP7; K&M 18953; Wenger Preface Conductor's Stand
PreSonus Eris E8; Ultimate Support MS-100B; K&M 16085 Headphone holder
iPad Pro 12.9" (2017), forScore, Sibelius 7.5 (PC), Apple Pencil, PageFlip Firefly, AirTurn PEDpro
K&M 12295; Gator GKC 88 | My photos
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Also would love an Android app for the MP11, or even a Windows app for tweaking it via USB would be even better. Korg's got one for their SV-1.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
The iPad and other devices already play a big part in music production/recording/playing, and many of these DP's have MIDI controls so it is inevitable that people are going to be using tablets. Obviously you don't have to use the app but people who will be using their iPad a lot anyway will probably like the idea.

My guess is that Kawai is trying out a new product on a select few models, to nail down the basics and make sure things are working right. I would bet heavily that these apps will be available for the MP series DPs in the future.

But this is just my opinion, which is worth as much as anyone paid for it.

Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joe Garfield
The iPad and other devices already play a big part in music production/recording/playing, and many of these DP's have MIDI controls so it is inevitable that people are going to be using tablets. Obviously you don't have to use the app but people who will be using their iPad a lot anyway will probably like the idea.

My guess is that Kawai is trying out a new product on a select few models, to nail down the basics and make sure things are working right. I would bet heavily that these apps will be available for the MP series DPs in the future.

But this is just my opinion, which is worth as much as anyone paid for it.

Joe -

Your guess is as good as mine (probably better!) as to what Kawai's business thinking is here ... candidly, if an MP7/11 app were now available that was oriented toward changing "virtual technician" settings, I'd not likely bother to download it. Just one more thing to keep track of, while the ability to change settings right from the MP itself is convenient enough (straightforward and self-contained).

Now ... if it could serve as a "library" to save/store custom SOUNDS and SETUPS and move them around the various button assignments (A, B, C ... 1, 2, 3, etc.) then THAT would be a great timesaver and superb backup support tool.

But for me, to be able to mess with the virtual tech settings on an iPad or Android device - even with pretty graphics - creates an extra step (= less productivity, not more).

My US$0.02 - OneWatt

OP Offline
A quick bump to inform everyone that the Virtual Technician app has been updated to support the new CA97/CA67 models.

What's New in Version 1.1.9

* Added support for connecting to CA97/CA67

* Added support for the following CA97/CA67-specific features:
- Smart Mode preset selection (including ability to store user presets)
- Undamped String Resonance page
- Cabinet Resonance page
- Half-Pedal Adjust page displays the current damper pedal position
- Touch Curve page displays the current User touch curve graph
- Voicing page displays current User voicing setting, and allows adjustment

* Added support for Quicco Sound mi.1 (Bluetooth LE MIDI interface) on iOS8+
- Owners of the mi.1 (sold separately) can now use the Virtual Technician app to adjust their Kawai digital piano wirelessly.

Kind regards,
James
x

J
J
Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
It's time consuming and expensive to invest in Software development on multiple platforms, Mac OS, Win, iOS, Android.
[...] Generally speaking, the data currently shows that iOS users are desirable customers, they buy products, upgrade, and are willing to pay for good Software or features.

Does anyone have experience with Kawai Virtual Technician on an iPad simulator? Is it possible to control Kawai pianos from the PC that way?

Kawai KDP-90
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
A quick bump to inform everyone that the Virtual Technician app has been updated to support the new CA97/CA67 models.

Not for CA95/CA65 models too? Why not? I don't own an iPad so this doesn't really affect me anyway, but it does feel rather like existing owners have been abandoned... didn't the CA95/CA65 come out in late 2012, so only just over 2 years ago? It seems like the CA95/CA65 could actually benefit from this app more than the new models, particular with regard to user presets.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
OP Offline
Originally Posted by lolatu
Not for CA95/CA65 models too?

No, I'm afraid not.

Why not?

I don't believe the CA95/CA65 allow settings to be adjusted externally.

I don't own an iPad so this doesn't really affect me anyway...

Okay.

...but it does feel rather like existing owners have been abandoned...

I appreciate your point, however 'abandoned' is perhaps a little harsh. I believe you're still able to enjoy your CA95, just as you always have done - today's announcement does not reduce its existing functionality in any way.

Kind regards,
James
x

T
T
Sweet! Good to see you guys so actively pushing the ability of Digital Pianos.

Any word on when CA97s are going to make it through the Long Beach port? I want mine!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission