2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2374745 01/17/15 04:04 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Hey all,

So I know now that there's one thing always lacking in my playing, regardless of inward hearing, arm weight, all of that. It's the sharp articulation and clarity that all professionals have.

Is there any way to acquire this? No matter how much time I spend practicing, I lack that articulation. I'm not sure which part of the body it might stem from or how to achieve this. I also wonder how we're supposed to involve the arm and still manage a sharp articulation.
Thoughts?

Oh, and I'm working on the Ondine.. so basically I'm committing pianistic seppuku.

Last edited by HauschkaMum; 01/17/15 04:14 PM.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Do you play cleanly (i.e. you don't run adjacent notes into each other due to 'lazy fingers' that are slow to release)?

Can you play fast scales and passages staccato but evenly? If you haven't tried, this is a good exercise to develop strong, clear articulation. Also, play scales - legato & staccato - with crescendo up the keyboard and diminuendo back down, and vice versa. And then again, both of them, while mid-scale. Then make the crescendos and diminuendos really steep. You'll soon find how to 'apply' force on the keys while playing, yet keeping things smooth - you don't want bumpiness in your passagework - thereby bringing out the clarity and 'sharpness' in your playing.

And don't forget rhythm, which should always be clear.

BTW, whose Ondine?

Last edited by bennevis; 01/17/15 04:26 PM. Reason: BTW added

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Adding to Bennevis's post, have your tech take a close look at your damper system. The damper up-stop-rail alone can make clear articulation very difficult.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Adding to the above, pay close attention to your pedalling. I know I sometimes go on autopilot with the pedal instead of paying close attention to it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Edit: another thought- Do you have a lazy finger? Oddly enough, my 2nd fingers are my laziest despite their strength. For some people it's their third fingers. I have to pay extra attention to them or I'm come off the notes too fast. Baaaddd finger!!

Best regards,

Deborah
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by HauschkaMum
Hey all,

So I know now that there's one thing always lacking in my playing, regardless of inward hearing, arm weight, all of that. It's the sharp articulation and clarity that all professionals have.

Is there any way to acquire this? No matter how much time I spend practicing, I lack that articulation. I'm not sure which part of the body it might stem from or how to achieve this. I also wonder how we're supposed to involve the arm and still manage a sharp articulation.
Thoughts?

Sharp articulation is probably not your worst pianistic problem. Post a recording of yourself, and we can point out everything you do wrong laugh

Poetry is rhythm
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I also wonder how we're supposed to involve the arm and still manage a sharp articulation.

Most of my articulation work is from the arm. The fingers are involved of course, but if I don't drive from the arm then I don't get enough energy to really highlight articulations.
A 2-note slur is down-up in the arm.
Staccatos are from the elbow by default (personal preference), from the wrist or finger only if necessary.
Tenutos and accents are arm drops with different amounts of weight.
etc.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by hreichgott
I also wonder how we're supposed to involve the arm and still manage a sharp articulation.

Most of my articulation work is from the arm. The fingers are involved of course, but if I don't drive from the arm then I don't get enough energy to really highlight articulations.
A 2-note slur is down-up in the arm.
Staccatos are from the elbow by default (personal preference), from the wrist or finger only if necessary.
Tenutos and accents are arm drops with different amounts of weight.
etc.

See, this is fascinating to me. Whenever I can do the weight drop correctly, I feel like everything is east - but 99.5% of the time, I can't because when I let my arm drop, the key is either too stiff or too lax - I never feel like the key is fat and sharp/controlled. smirk I'm not sure why.

B
BDB Offline
B
You can practice release. Play the chords in a piece as blocks and release them in tempo.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission