2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 15 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
Somehow I missed this. The Liszt 6th Rhapsody was my BIG piece at uni back in the glory days, shortly before the shift to Thomas Cranmer and resultant liturgical high tides.

This is incredible playing. As much as I practiced, I never could match that playing at 1:23. Truly the playing of a Goddess.

Enjoy!

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting this Jason. Wonderful camera work. Such clarity and ease. Goddess indeed. She's quite young here and I get the sense that she's holding back a bit like she's keeping her fire in check...oh no wait a minute (or 5 min), there she is!

Best regards,

Deborah
A
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
^ Thanks, Deborah, and happy holidays!

I totally forget to mention that when I was learning this piece, I had no knowledge of Argerich's rendition; it was Horowitz who was totally freaking me out!!

Jason
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by argerichfan

This is incredible playing. As much as I practiced, I never could match that playing at 1:23. Truly the playing of a Goddess.

Yes, she plays this better than me too! grin

knowledge of Argerich's rendition; it was Horowitz who was totally freaking me out!!

Some Argerich fan you are! confused

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Hey, thanks for that, argerichfan.......

Funny, that exact section was my big college Liszt fail grin

(But honestly, I really had no business to be working on the piece then.....)

Piano instruction and performance
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Over time, I don't feel that this is one of my favorites from the Hungarian Rhapsodies, but Argerich plays it so well.

And sometimes I have to indulge in freaky-fast octaves smile

Truly the playing of a Goddess.

Indeed.

I studied both HR's no's 2 and 6 in college, and I never knew #6 was capable of being played so well.

Now I'm tempted to dust off the score and re-learn it.

Casio PX-5S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Now here's an oldish thread that I'm happy to see return, since I've started investigating the Hungarian Rhapsodies myself recently. Thanks so much for the original post.

In the name of great artists playing Rhapsodies that are multiples of 6, here's an astonishing recording I found a few days ago. Van Cliburn playing the 12th:

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by beet31425
Now here's an oldish thread that I'm happy to see return, since I've started investigating the Hungarian Rhapsodies myself recently. Thanks so much for the original post.

The thread is not really all that old - it is certainly not past the expiry date.

And how do we determine the expiry date? Easy - it is by whether the participants in the thread are still active here, and are likely to be around to respond, should anything they have said in the thread trigger a comment. It's the way a forum works, after all.

All that seems obvious to me, but apparently it is something akin to an extremely advanced philosophical/mathematical proposition that causes some folks here to simply plotz, because their circuits have overloaded.

Originally Posted by wr
And how do we determine the expiry date? Easy - it is by whether the participants in the thread are still active here, and are likely to be around to respond, should anything they have said in the thread trigger a comment. It's the way a forum works, after all.

The decision as to whether an "old" thread should be resurrected requires the weighing of several factors:

1. Whether the original forum participants are still around.

2. Whether the contents of the original thread still has some value (e.g., whether the initial posts were insightful, thoughtful, articulate, etc.).

3. Whether the subject of the original thread remains viable (e.g., a thread on "favorite piano concertos" that primarily focuses on music that more than 50 years old would remain viable for many years into the future).

4. Whether the topic of the thread has become "dated" or was initially "time sensitive." For example, a thread on an "upcoming" 2008 NY Philharmonic concert would become obsolete once the concert happened, or otherwise became irrelevant.

5. Whether, notwithstanding the foregoing, it nevertheless makes sense to "reinvent the wheel" and simply begin a new thread, thereby ignoring all of the preserved content of any former threads.

Casio PX-5S
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Brahms88
Originally Posted by wr

The decision as to whether an "old" thread should be resurrected requires the weighing of several factors:

1. Whether the original forum participants are still around.

2. Whether the contents of the original thread still has some value (e.g., whether the initial posts were insightful, thoughtful, articulate, etc.).

3. Whether the subject of the original thread remains viable (e.g., a thread on "favorite piano concertos" that primarily focuses on music that more than 50 years old would remain viable for many years into the future).

4. Whether the topic of the thread has become "dated" or was initially "time sensitive." For example, a thread on an "upcoming" 2008 NY Philharmonic concert would become obsolete once the concert happened, or otherwise became irrelevant.

5. Whether, notwithstanding the foregoing, it nevertheless makes sense to "reinvent the wheel" and simply begin a new thread, thereby ignoring all of the preserved content of any former threads.

In fact, there is never a need to resurrect an old thread in order to accomplish any of the stuff you are holding out as excuses. If you are interested in something in the archives, just start a new thread and embed a link to whatever thread you think is worth our attention, with an explanation of why you think it is worth resurrecting. Or just quote the material of interest, if it is short.

And if it's one of those inane "your favorite" threads that everybody loves, who cares? Just start a new one. If somebody is desperately interested in the favorites of somebody who hasn't even been posting here for years, they may need psychiatric help.

Last edited by wr; 01/17/15 12:57 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
EDIT: I posted in the wrong thread, had multiple tabs open and wasn't paying attention, sorry...

I'm not as big on this piece as I used to be, but I marvel at how Martha plays it. Wow.

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 01/18/15 01:38 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wr
And if it's one of those inane "your favorite" threads...

Since almost everyone on this forum seems incapable of high-level musical discourse, threads which provoke said discourse might be unwelcome. smokin

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
This thread is over a month old! Come on guys, move on will you? Argerichfan hasn't posted here in over 24 hours! You're going to ruin the day of three people at pianoworld!

A
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
EDIT: I posted in the wrong thread, had multiple tabs open and wasn't paying attention, sorry...

?
I'm not as big on this piece as I used to be, but I marvel at how Martha plays it. Wow.

Me neither these days, but it was the only Rhapsody I studied and performed. I think the 9th the best of the lot -and take your pick on yt- but I have always had a soft spot for the 4th. Alas, nothing much on yt.

Jason

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission