Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds
Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds with Emphasis on the Piano
Learn More

or
Buy This Book on Amazon.com
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Pianoteq
Who's Online
172 registered (ajames, A Guy, accordeur, 49 invisible), 1815 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2376574 - 01/22/15 06:08 AM Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan

Good evening folks,

Just in time for NAMM, Kawai Japan has issued software updates for the MP11 and MP7 stage pianos.

This v1.10 update improves performance when using large capacity USB devices and fixes glitches that could occur when recording WAV audio files. Damper pedal calibration has been improved (when using the F-30), while additional MidHigh/MidLow parameters also offer greater half-pedal control over popular software piano packages.

The 'Volume' EDIT menu parameter has been replaced with a new [C]MasterVol. parameter, allowing total SETUP volume to be easily adjusted, with a pop-up indicating zone/section volumes when changed. In addition, the MP7 also displays a summary of the current SETUP, including each zone's patchname, volume, and the SW1/SW2 assignments.

As always, there are a handful of other bug fixes and operation improvements following requests and suggestions from MP users.
Many thanks to everyone for their valued feedback!

The full MP11 and MP7 changelogs are listed below.

MP11 changelog:
Quote:
V1.10 (January 2015)
- Added: ‘MidHigh’ and ‘MidLow’ options added to 6.Control:HalfPedVal. EDIT menu setting when zone is set to EXT.
These additional options allow greater control over half-pedalling MIDI values, and may be useful when playing software piano packages, especially as the HalfPedVal can be set independently for each Zone. Please refer to the v1.10 changelog documentation for more information about the specific half-pedal ranges for each setting.

- Changed: If metronome is enabled when using the Overdub function, only the count-in will be heard.
- Changed: ‘Volume’ parameter in 3.Sound menu replaced with ‘[C]MasterVol.’, allowing total SETUP volume to be adjusted.
- Changed: Zone volume value pop-up shown when operating a zone volume fader.
- Changed: Metronome Volume is now stored to SETUP memories. Moreover, when a rhythm pattern is running, selecting a SETUP with a different stored rhythm will not change the volume of the playing rhythm pattern.
- Changed: Default AudioRecGain value is now set to +9 dB.
- Fixed: Occasional glitches/errors when recording to large capacity USB memory devices in WAV format.
- Fixed: Rare phenomenon whereby pedal assigned to EFX2:Rotary Slow/Fast function would not toggle correctly.
- Fixed: Strange velocity behaviour of piano sounds when reducing the Cut-off parameter.
- Improved: When connecting a USB device, pop-up message is only shown when accessing USB-related functions.
- Improved: Reduced wait times when using large capacity USB memory devices.
- Improved: Right Pedal Calibration function in SYSTEM:Pedal menu has been improved.SYSTEM:Pedal HalfAdjust parameter is also taken into consideration when calibrating.
- Improved: Reduced ‘jumping’ noise that could sometimes occur when using MIDI recorder’s A-B repeat function.
- Improved: Reduced ‘jumping’ noise that could sometimes occur when operating knobs controlling EFX, AMP, or EQ.
- Improved: Various other operation/display improvements.

V1.07 (August 2014)
– Improved: Output Gain increased (+4dB).
– Improved: User Temperament now allows the Temperament Key to be specified.
– Improved: Damper Resonance key balance is now more even across the keyboard.
– Improved: Delay when changing Reverb Type (e.g. between two SOUNDs) is reduced.
– Improved: Some knob/button functionality has been optimised.
– Changed: Zone Octave, Zone Transpose, and Pedal On/Off parameters are now kept when selecting SOUNDs.
– Changed: The ‘Open Setup’ function has been removed as it was largely redundant and could cause confusion.
– Fixed: The selected Temperament was not applied to the Octave Layer sound.
– Fixed: The ‘Panel Lock function did not fully lock the section volume faders.
– Fixed: Some notes of the Concert Grand sound did not decay correctly.
– Fixed: The Soft pedal would not function correctly after selecting PIANO section sounds.

V1.06 (March 2014)
- Added: 88 Key Volume function to SYSTEM menu, allowing volume adjustments for individually keys.
[SYSTEM] --> UserEdit : KeyVolume
- Added: 88 Key Stretch Tuning function to SYSTEM menu, allowing stretch tuning for individually keys.
[SYSTEM] --> UserEdit : Stretch
- Added: Right Pedal Calibration function to SYSTEM menu, for calibration of other manufacturer’s damper pedals.
[SYSTEM] --> Pedal (page 1/3 or 2/3) --> [R.P.CAL] (F4 button)
- Added: EffSW Mode = "Fixed" to SYSTEM menu, allowing sounds to be changed without affecting current EFX settings.
[SYSTEM] --> Utility (page 1/3) --> EffSW Mode
- Improved: Pure temperament (Maj/min) adjusted.
- Improved: Key Off Effect setting adjusted to improve the sound.
- Improved: Amp Drive setting adjusted.
- Improved: Damper Noise volume is adjusted.
- Improved: The name of the Rotary effect’s ‘Vib&Cho’ type is changed to ‘+Vib/Cho’.
- Improved: Pedal Setup+/Setup– functionality to ‘jump’ banks when incrementing/decrementing SETUP memory.
The first memory of the next bank is selected after reaching the last memory of the current bank. E.g.
SETUP+: A-6 --> A-7 --> A-8 --> B-1 --> B-2 --> B-3
SETUP–: B-3 --> B-2 --> B-1 --> A-8 --> A-7 --> A-6
- Improved: Received Sys-EX Parameter Send messages now also change knob assigned parameters in real-time.
- Fixed: Some cases of sound settings not recording correctly when using the MIDI Recorder in Panel Play mode.
- Fixed: Plural Sounding notes of the same key number received via MIDI are all truncated by one Note Off message.
- Fixed: The Dynamics setting would occasionally not change correctly, influencing the selected touch curve.

V1.03 (October 2013)
- First production version.

MP7 changelog:
Quote:
V1.10 (January 2015)

- Added: SETUP summary screen is shown when pressing the SETUP button while already in SETUP mode. Screen shows each zone’s selected sound, volume, and assigned SW1/SW2 function.
- Added: ‘MidHigh’ and ‘MidLow’ options added to 6.Control:HalfPedVal. EDIT menu setting when zone is set to EXT.
These additional options allow greater control over half-pedalling MIDI values, and may be useful when playing software piano packages, especially as the HalfPedVal can be set independently for each Zone. Please refer to the v1.10 changelog documentation for more information about the specific half-pedal ranges for each setting.

- Changed: If metronome is enabled when using the Overdub function, only the count-in will be heard.
- Changed: ‘Volume’ parameter in 3.Sound menu replaced with ‘[C]MasterVol.’, allowing total SETUP volume to be adjusted.
- Changed: Zone volume value pop-up shown when operating a zone volume fader.
- Changed: Metronome Volume is now stored to SETUP memories. Moreover, when a rhythm pattern is running, selecting a SETUP with a different stored rhythm will not change the volume of the playing rhythm pattern.
- Fixed: Occasional glitches/errors when recording to large capacity USB memory devices in WAV format.
- Fixed: Rare phenomenon whereby pedal assigned to EFX2:Rotary Slow/Fast function would not toggle correctly.
- Fixed: Strange velocity behaviour of piano sounds when reducing the Cut-off parameter.
- Improved: When connecting a USB device, pop-up message is only shown when accessing USB-related functions.
- Improved: Reduced wait times when using large capacity USB memory devices.
- Improved: Right Pedal Calibration function in SYSTEM:Pedal menu has been improved.SYSTEM:Pedal HalfAdjust parameter is also taken into consideration when calibrating.
- Improved: Reduced ‘jumping’ noise that could sometimes occur when using MIDI recorder’s A-B repeat function.
- Improved: Reduced ‘jumping’ noise that could sometimes occur when operating knobs controlling EFX, AMP, or EQ.

V1.05 (August 2014)
– Improved: Output Gain increased (+4dB).
– Improved: User Temperament now allows the Temperament Key to be specified.
– Improved: Damper Resonance key balance is now more even across the keyboard.
– Improved: ‘Fast’ touch mode optimised to reduce key retriggering.
– Improved: Delay when changing Reverb Type (e.g. between two SOUNDs) is reduced.
– Improved: Some knob/button functionality has been optimised.
– Changed: Zone Octave, Zone Transpose, Pedal On/Off and SW1/2 On/Off parameters are now kept when selecting SOUNDs.
– Changed: Pedal Mode parameter is now set to ‘Hold’ for all Pad/Synth sounds.
– Changed: The ‘Open Setup’ function has been removed as it was largely redundant and could cause confusion.
– Fixed: The selected Temperament was not applied to the Octave Layer sound.
– Fixed: The Full Orchestra sound could produce a strange layer sound in certain circumstances.
– Fixed: EFX was not retained when changing SOUND/SETUP while holding the damper when using the F-10H pedal.
– Fixed: The ‘Panel Lock function did not fully lock the MAIN/ZONE volume faders.
– Fixed: In ‘Multi Off’ mode, the Bank LSB#1 reception did not work correctly.
– Fixed: Some brass/woodwind sounds could cut-out when playing SMF files.

V1.03 (May 2014)
- Fixed: The 'Quick Compare' function did not work correctly.

V1.02 (March 2014)
- Added: 88 Key Volume function to SYSTEM menu, allowing volume adjustments for individually keys.
[SYSTEM] --> UserEdit : KeyVolume
- Added: 88 Key Stretch Tuning function to SYSTEM menu, allowing stretch tuning for individually keys.
[SYSTEM] --> UserEdit : Stretch
- Added: Right Pedal Calibration function to SYSTEM menu, for calibration of other manufacturer’s damper pedals.
[SYSTEM] --> Pedal (page 1/3 or 2/3) --> [R.P.CAL] (F4 button)
- Added: EffSW Mode = "Fixed" to SYSTEM menu, allowing sounds to be changed without affecting current EFX settings.
[SYSTEM] --> Utility (page 1/3) --> EffSW Mode
- Improved: Pure temperament (Maj/min) adjusted.
- Improved: Received Sys-EX Parameter Send messages now also change knob assigned parameters in real-time.
- Fixed: Some cases of sound settings not recording correctly when using the MIDI Recorder in Panel Play mode.

V1.00 (January 2014)
- First production version.

These software updates and update instructions can be downloaded directly from the Kawai MP website at the following URL:

http://www.kawaimp.com

MP11 and MP7 owners are encouraged to update their instruments to use this latest software version.
We also recommend that users backup any custom settings, SOUNDs, SETUPs, etc. before applying the update.

Note that Kawai software updates are cumulative, i.e. the v1.10 update includes the fixes and improvements provided with all previous versions.

That's all for now - please feel free to post your feedback in this thread.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2376602 - 01/22/15 08:10 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
Just Alan Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Awesome news James! I had suspected that the update would be announced just in time for NAMM 2015. I've found out that the shipment of MP7s that I am awaiting at my local store, is hopefully due to arrive in port by maybe Thursday next week, and then has to be delivered and unloaded at the shop, so, fingers crossed, maybe I can get it on the Friday or possibly the following Monday. One thing's for sure, I will instal the update before I leave the shop, and I will offer to show the sales people how to do it. As all their stock will be v1.05, it could be an advantage for them to be able to offer to customers at the point of sale, to do the upgrade to v1.10.

Just one quick question. For any owners of older MP7s, say someone had v1.02, can they just update to v1.10, or must they first update to v1.03, then update to v1.05 and then update to v1.10, or will v1.10 include all those previous updates? Sorry if that is a silly question. I'd imagine that v1.10 includes all the previous updates, but it is best to be sure. Can't wait to get my hands on my MP7...have been waiting since mid November 2014. Thanks again for all your help.

Alan
1993 Roland JV1000 76 note workstation synth with Pop and VE-GS1 expansion boards ] 1994 Roland JV1080 Multi-timbral sound module ] 1994 Roland KR4500 Intelligent Piano ] 2008 Korg MicroX sound module ] 2015 Kawai MP7 Digital Stage Piano....hopefully soon!

#2376616 - 01/22/15 08:49 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Hello Alan, thank you for querying the update procedure. I have amended my post to explain the cumulative nature of Kawai's updates. To clarify, it is not necessary to update to version v1.03 or v1.05 etc. prior to v1.10.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2376645 - 01/22/15 10:39 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
IMOL Offline

thanks James
this is a good news!!

It's strange, but I would like to know if you can come back
1.10 to 1.05 version

I like reading also
Improved: Right Pedal Calibration function in SYSTEM: Pedal menu Has Been improved.
SYSTEM: Pedal HalfAdjust parameter is also taken into consideration in a when calibrating

but is this applicable to the F10H pedal?

#2376763 - 01/22/15 02:52 PM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
Steve Peterson Offline

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Texas
Great news! I'll install tonight and provide feedback. I'm glad the USB issues that I noticed and started the thread about have been addressed so quickly. It's really helpful to have a company insider like James in here. Thanks, James!

1967 Baldwin SD-10 | Kawai MP11

#2376797 - 01/22/15 04:06 PM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
kanadajin Offline

This is good news! I would have 2 thoughts/comments since I am still a bit of a newbie:

1- At this time I have some (not many) custom patches stored in SETUP bank Z (only). I am presuming that these are the only SETUPs I need to back up prior to effecting the update on my MP11. In other words, the factory loaded SETUPs in banks A to something like N will be unaffected by the update action. Correct?

2- I have one of those defective F30 pedal units. Unfortunately Kawai America has informed me that these are on back order (have been for last few months it seems - anyone else in the same predicament?), although I am apparently on their list for having a replacement sent. It will be interesting to see if the new calibration routine in this update would at least alleviate the pedal problem; I am looking forward to trying this out once I do the update.

All in all, positive news regardless!

#2376848 - 01/22/15 06:49 PM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
9190 Offline

Good news. Thank you KAWAI for your continued support. I'm still new and will learn my MP7, that's why a lot of points in update description I hope I will understand later. But what I'm really glad in v1.10 update is:

For me USB Audio Recorder function is very important. And I have repeatedly complained in the comments on YouTube and SoundCloud about low level of audio recording, producing with this feature. I always had to greatly increase the system volume, in order to hear user's recordings well. Yes, fortunately KAWAI allows to adjust the recording level (Gain Level). But by default it's always low, and you should every time to not forget to increase it. But a lot of people don't even think about it, judging by their recordings. And now, if I understand right, KAWAI make that default setting on higher level. If so, this is very good, and reaction was fast, and this is doubly good. But I should mention that this problem was not only in KAWAI. Some other keyboards (for example CASIO) have the same problem with USB Audio Recording: recording level is low! And generally a lot of recordings (even professional by official channels) have a relatively low volume level.

I also glad, that KAWAI pay attention to USB Audio Recording feature and improve some other issues, for example:

I also like in v1.05 update this:
- Improved: Output Gain increased (+4dB).
I remember some users on this forum was complaining about low level from Line outputs, and I was confused. And now, again, if I understand right, that was also fixed!

But there is one moment in v1.10 update description, that made me upset:

Do I understand right that from this update, during recording in Overdub mode using metronome, I can't hear other instruments that I have recorded before? If so, then I'm really upset. Because using metronome I still want to hear previous parts, to stay in general musical mood and expression. Why in this case to not give choice in settings, how do you want to hear metronome/other parts previously recorded? Only metronome, or metronome and other parts together.

But thank you again for your reaction and very good informational support on this forum and from KAWAI's web-sites.

#2376963 - 01/23/15 01:37 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: IMOL]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: IMOL
It's strange, but I would like to know if you can come back
1.10 to 1.05 version

Yes, the previous software updates are kept online - just change the URL accordingly, for example: http://www.kawai-global.com/data/updates/mp7_v105.zip

Originally Posted By: IMOL
I like reading also
Improved: Right Pedal Calibration function in SYSTEM: Pedal menu Has Been improved.
SYSTEM: Pedal HalfAdjust parameter is also taken into consideration in a when calibrating

but is this applicable to the F10H pedal?

Pedal calibration is only applicable to the F-20/F-30 pedal units. The F-10H does not require calibration.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2376964 - 01/23/15 01:38 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Steve Peterson]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steve Peterson
Great news! I'll install tonight and provide feedback. I'm glad the USB issues that I noticed and started the thread about have been addressed so quickly. It's really helpful to have a company insider like James in here. Thanks, James!

Happy to help Steve - many thanks to yourself (and other MP users) for bringing this matter to our attention.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2376966 - 01/23/15 01:43 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: kanadajin]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kanadajin
1- At this time I have some (not many) custom patches stored in SETUP bank Z (only). I am presuming that these are the only SETUPs I need to back up prior to effecting the update on my MP11. In other words, the factory loaded SETUPs in banks A to something like N will be unaffected by the update action. Correct?

Yes, you're correct. You can backup individual SETUPs, all SETUPs, or for convenience, backup everything.

2- I have one of those defective F30 pedal units. Unfortunately Kawai America has informed me that these are on back order (have been for last few months it seems - anyone else in the same predicament?), although I am apparently on their list for having a replacement sent. It will be interesting to see if the new calibration routine in this update would at least alleviate the pedal problem; I am looking forward to trying this out once I do the update.

I'm sorry to hear that you received a defective pedal unit. Regarding the calibration function, by all means give it a try, however, I believe if the pedal is defective (i.e. it is sending wilde/random values) the calibration function will not resolve matters. While you wait for a replacement pedal unit, you may wish to reassign the damper function to either the left or centre pedals. You will lose progressive pedalling functionality, but at least the pedals will work correctly.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2376971 - 01/23/15 01:56 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: 9190]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

9190, thank you for your kind words.

To answer your query, increasing the AudioRecGain value will certainly help with quiet recordings, and when uploading to YouTube/Soundcloud. One reason for the low recording level is to prevent clipping when playing very loud passages. As an alternative to the AudioRecGain, you may wish to experiment with 'Normalising' the recorded WAV file in an audio editor - I tend to prefer Wavosaur to Audacity for this kind of task, as you're working directly on the waveform, rather than remixing it.

But there is one moment in v1.10 update description, that made me upset:

Do I understand right that from this update, during recording in Overdub mode using metronome, I can't hear other instruments that I have recorded before?

Don't worry, you will still be able to hear your previously recorded 'takes'.

This change will only affect the metronome if a drum pattern is selected when overdubbing.

With v1.05, if you recorded an audio file with a drum pattern, then selected the overdub function with the metronome still selected, the drum pattern would be heard again while overdubbing (i.e. you hear two drum patterns).

With v1.10, if you recorded an audio file with a drum pattern, then select overdub with a metronome rhythm pattern selected, you will only hear the count-in click - i.e. the 'new' rhythm pattern will not be heard, so you will not get a 'doubled-up' drum recording.

I hope this clarifies things - my apologies for the unclear explanation in the changelog.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2377035 - 01/23/15 07:23 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
panino Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Kawai James

These software updates and update instructions can be downloaded directly from the Kawai MP website at the following URL:

http://www.kawaimp.com

MP11 and MP7 owners are encouraged to update their instruments to use this latest software version.
We also recommend that users backup any custom settings, SOUNDs, SETUPs, etc. before applying the update.

Cheers,
James
x

Holla,
Thx for the update.
For me the link didn´t work. There was only v1.06 available.
After a little searching I´ve found the right site:

Working link to Kawai-global.com

BACK UP YOUR SOUNDS!!!

I didn´t notice a different behaviour of the right pedal...
Now the volume of the different voices is shown when moving the fader, GOOD feature smile

P

Edited by panino (01/23/15 07:25 AM)

#2377038 - 01/23/15 07:42 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: panino]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: panino
Holla,
Thx for the update.
For me the link didn´t work. There was only v1.06 available.
After a little searching I´ve found the right site:

Working link to Kawai-global.com

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

The link to the software updates on the KawaiMP.com website doesn't appear to be working correctly when the language is changed (are you viewing in Italian, by the way?). I will look into this on Monday.

Cheers,
James
x

#2377046 - 01/23/15 08:15 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
panino Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi James,

The MP.com site was the ?german? version which is apparently non-existing
any more after switching once to the english version.
Now the link works perfectly!

Sorry James smile

#2377049 - 01/23/15 08:24 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Well, I'm glad it's working for you now, but I think I still need to investigate what's happening with the language selection on Monday - German should not be available.

Cheers,
James
x

#2377052 - 01/23/15 08:36 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
9190 Offline

Thank you, James, for a detailed explanation!

I have two questions and one clarification.

1) To make an update, should I use only completely empty USB memory device, i.e. dedicated especially for working with MP7? Or it is possible to use FAT/FAT32 formatted USB memory device containing some other files and folders? Actually the same question I'm interesting when I want to use USB Audio Recorder feature. As for me, I think it's better to select an individual USB flash drive for that purposes. But maybe this is not necessary and the instrument can "see" all necessary files among other files and folders.

2) Recently I just started to read User Manual book, which was included with my instrument (the version of this Manual book is v1.00). But quite many changes/improvements were made since first firmware update. So, now I think how valid this book, and if I will read it I will always doubt, because maybe something, what I read was changed already. Maybe User Manual also updating sometimes and I can download it somewhere? For me more comfortable to read real paper book, than from the monitor, but anyway this is the only way to get updated User Manual, if there is one.

• If I understood you right, to work with WAV-files you recommend Wavosaur, which is better solution than Audacity based on the goals, we are talking about.

#2377056 - 01/23/15 08:54 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Hello 9190,

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can use an existing USB memory stick to update the firmware (ensure the update zip file is extracted to the root folder of the USB drive) and make recordings. If you wish to format a USB drive and dedicate its use to playing/recording, that will also work fine. You may find that the initial scanning time when connecting the USB device increases if there are many files already stored on the stick. Please experiment, and chose the best method that works for you.

2. Yes, the owner's manual has been updated since the initial print run. Please visit KawaiMP.com to download the latest version.

3. I'm a big fan of Wavosaur - it's free, lightweight, and great for quick simple editing when you do not wish to use a larger app such as Soundforge or Audition.

Audacity is great too, and also free (open source), however I'm less of a fan of using it as a wave editor, partly due to the multi-track mixing element and having to 'export' audio files, instead of working on them directly. This is just my opinion, however. wink

Cheers,
James
x

#2377066 - 01/23/15 09:29 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Anyone else having right pedal issues with the new update? I have done the right pedal calibration (a few times now). Now my right pedal pegs to 127, no matter how lightly I press the pedal. It's like an on/off switch. Before the update I was quite happy with the pedal, right now it's a mess.

#2377070 - 01/23/15 09:42 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

scorpio, to clarify are you saying that the damper pedal is constantly depressed (sustained), or that there is no graduation in values from 1-127?

Kind regards,
James
x

#2377071 - 01/23/15 09:47 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am seeing gradation in values. The problem is when I depress the pedal 1/4 - 1/2 way down, the values move right to 127.

I just went through the process again, thinking I may have not done the calibration correctly. Same result.

#2377073 - 01/23/15 09:51 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: scorpio]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

And just sitting at the keyboard the sustain seems the same if I half pedal or full pedal. I'm not all that experienced with this, so maybe I am doing something wrong.

#2377074 - 01/23/15 09:52 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Is this when using the internal sound, or when controlling an external source (e.g. software piano) via MIDI?

What is the 'HalfAdjust' parameter (SYSTEM:Pedal menu) set to?

Do you have the option of performing a factor reset? If you have stored your own sounds/setups, please save everything to an AllBackup file first).

Kind regards,
James
x

#2377078 - 01/23/15 10:02 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: scorpio]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: scorpio
And just sitting at the keyboard the sustain seems the same if I half pedal or full pedal. I'm not all that experienced with this, so maybe I am doing something wrong.
When I typed the above, I was meaning onboard sounds (not Pianoteq).

I discovered the issue while trying to calibrate the sustain in Pianoteq. The resulting curve was odd. So I went back and looked at the midi output. The output on one half pedal shows values: 50,75,95,110,121,127.

I will try to do a system reset and see what happens. I'm at work so I will work on it as I get time.

Thank you!

#2377079 - 01/23/15 10:03 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

What is the 'HalfAdjust' parameter (SYSTEM:Pedal menu) set to?

#2377084 - 01/23/15 10:10 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Alright so I couldn't help myself, I went and did the factory reset. Same process. Same result. Embarrassing. So maybe it's the pedal?

#2377101 - 01/23/15 10:29 AM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: scorpio]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: scorpio
Alright so I couldn't help myself, I went and did the factory reset. Same process. Same result. Embarrassing. So maybe it's the pedal?

Hmm...I'm not sure.
Did you say it was working fine with the previous firmware (v1.07)?

If so, perhaps you could try reloading the previous firmware from the following URL to see if the strange pedal behaviour is still present?

http://www.kawai-global.com/data/updates/mp11_v107.zip

Kind regards,
James
x

#2377141 - 01/23/15 12:09 PM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
9190 Offline

… the owner's manual has been updated since the initial print run. Please visit KawaiMP.com to download the latest version.

Thank you. I came to this page but no one language loading except Japanese. The rest languages I checked are "Page Not Found" and redirection to Kawai-Global web-site. This is because of recent renewed Kawai-Global web-site, where some old links outdated already. It's just for information, because for me this is not the problem, I can download from this page:
http://www.kawai-global.com/support/manual

By the way on
http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/MP7/mp7.html
there is still old (v1.00) version. I think, the same for MP11. Upd: no, I just checked, and MP11 has v1.02.

#2377142 - 01/23/15 12:16 PM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I've loaded the new OS, but haven't had a chance to test it out properly yet. Once again, it's great to have these updates roll out so quickly. For the future, perhaps, there are two things that would be very useful:

1. The ability to copy a zone's settings from one setup and paste them into another setup. At the moment, if you need to use the same sound/setting for a zone across multiple setups, you have to manually enter the settings for each setup - very tedious!

2. A menu function that would allow you to scroll through sounds to assign to a particular zone.

Other than that, and a small issue I have using my Roland EV5 expression pedal while controlling sounds from an external board (is it one of the recommended pedals?), I'm very content with the MP7.

Unfortunately, as I'll be relocating back to the UK soon, and won't be able to bring the MP due to it requiring region-specific voltage (what's with that in 2015?!!!), I'm going to have to part with it sometime over the next few months. Hit me with a PM, if you think you might be interested in it.

#2377178 - 01/23/15 02:10 PM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
OneWatt Online   content

Loc: Mountain Time, USA
I echo the appreciation of others for the superb firmware support - Kawai is 1st class in this regard.

One quick observation that may be useful for others (maybe this is described already somewhere, but if so I missed it)...

The new SETUP summary parameter screen idea is excellent. Unfortunately there's a lot of info shown for just a brief moment of 1-2 seconds to visually absorb. I was feeling a bit rushed until I realized this little feature... if you simply hold down the SETUP button, that screen of info will remain in the display until shortly after you release the button.

This is a clever feature/use of buttons. Well done!

Thanks for all the excellent development work Kawai continues to invest in this product line.

- OneWatt

#2377185 - 01/23/15 02:30 PM Re: Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update [Re: Kawai James]
rungabic Offline

James,

I've barely had a chance to delve into the USB fixes in this release, but right off the bat there seems to be a minor bug:

1. put in a USB drive
2. we no longer get the annoying "checking" popup, but you can see the drive is being scanned
3. press the USB button while the drive is STILL being scanned, and then the popup will appear
4. however, once the scan is finished, and the popup disappears, the display does not move to the USB screen -- you have to press the button again to get there

This is very minor, compared to what *hopefully* has been fixed (which I haven't had time to check yet)...but this behavior could confuse some people and makes the interface seem unresponsive.

Edited by rungabic (01/23/15 05:37 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
NAMM Show 2015 Follow Up!
-------------------

Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Too Many Pieces at the Ragged Boundary of Playing Ability?
by ClsscLib
1 minute 38 seconds ago
Who says improvisation can't exist in the classical genre?
by marcuslchoi
58 minutes 43 seconds ago
Should I buy used small upright or big upright?
by thomas81
Today at 11:04 AM
Promotional pens?
by RonTuner
Today at 10:20 AM
New piano coming today!
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 10:17 AM
Forum Stats
77932 Members
42 Forums
161064 Topics
2365905 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission