Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds
Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds with Emphasis on the Piano
Learn More

or
Buy This Book on Amazon.com
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Pianoteq
Who's Online
104 registered (Anita Potter, AZ_Astro, 38 invisible), 1404 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2377275 - Yesterday at 06:36 PM Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7
soundsystem Offline

Hi,

I've just bought a Kawai CS7 which I'm absolutely delighted with. I had piano lessons as a teen then switched to guitar and I am just now getting back into piano. So I got hold of some sheet music for a piece that I learnt and enjoyed playing when I was doing lessons, Gymnopedie No 1 by Erik Satie. With some practice I can now play it as well as I could back then!

I have a question though about the behaviour of the sustain pedal. In measures 9-12 and 48-51, there is an F# on the right hand that is meant to be sustained for four measures while the left hand Bm and F#m chords continue (both including that same F#). What I want is to play the F# forte as written but the chords a bit softer, so I'm keeping the initial F# held down with my right hand while I lift the pedal for the F#m chord but when I do that the F# stops sounding even though I still have it held down. Now I know on a real piano when I lift the pedal the dampers will return to the strings but surely if a key is held down then the damper for that key will stay up and the note will continue to sound?

Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks

Dan

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2377281 - Yesterday at 06:49 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
Jytte Offline

Loc: presently Germany (Danish)
No. A key held down should sound, no matter what you do to the pedal.

#2377283 - Yesterday at 06:51 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
soundsystem Offline

Hmm, I thought so... Is this a common problem with digital pianos?

#2377284 - Yesterday at 06:53 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
Jytte Offline

You'd have to wait for the experienced crowd to join in. I've just go mine, but I can't imagine such a problem being 'common'. How long have you had the piano?

#2377286 - Yesterday at 06:56 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
soundsystem Offline

Only a few days

#2377287 - Yesterday at 06:57 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Kawai DPs typically fail the silent replay portion of the DPBSD test. In the silent replay test a note is played and held, then the pedal is pressed and held, then the key is lifted, then the same key is played softly and held, and finally the pedal is lifted. The note should play all the way through, but all Kawai DPs that I've tested fail at the final pedal lift, where the note damps even though the key is being held down.

What you are describing may be a worse failure scenario. Could you describe it more in terms of the events above?
ĦIMO!

#2377288 - Yesterday at 06:57 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
Jytte Offline

Now, if you have already sounded that note 'for a while' it could already be faded?

#2377292 - Yesterday at 07:07 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: Jytte]
soundsystem Offline

Originally Posted By: Jytte
Now, if you have already sounded that note 'for a while' it could already be faded?

Unfortunately no; there's a noticeable and jarring discontinuity when the note switches off...

I notice that I don't get the same behaviour playing through Pianoteq, so it must be to do with the sound generation in the Kawai rather than the MIDI event handling.

#2377296 - Yesterday at 07:15 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: dewster]
soundsystem Offline

Originally Posted By: dewster
Kawai DPs typically fail the silent replay portion of the DPBSD test. In the silent replay test a note is played and held, then the pedal is pressed and held, then the key is lifted, then the same key is played softly and held, and finally the pedal is lifted. The note should play all the way through, but all Kawai DPs that I've tested fail at the final pedal lift, where the note damps even though the key is being held down.

What you are describing may be a worse failure scenario. Could you describe it more in terms of the events above?

That's basically what's happening when I play Gymnopedie; I hit the F#, press the pedal, play the F# again more softly as part of the Bm chord (at this point the loud initial F# is still sounding, along with the softer one) then when I release the pedal to play the low D in the left hand the sound of the F# stops very abruptly. I get the same thing if I try the silent replay test on a single note as you've described.

#2377297 - Yesterday at 07:22 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
soundsystem, this could be a bug in the CS7's internal tone generator. May I recommend that you report this issue to your Kawai distributor (e.g. Kawai America) to allow them to investigate.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2377301 - Yesterday at 07:33 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
soundsystem Offline

Okay, if I play the first F# and keep it held, but then only play the B and D of the Bm chord, the note continues to sound when I lift the sustain pedal - so it appears the problem is just the silent replay issue and nothing further.

James, should I report the issue to the shop I bought the piano from or directly to Kawai (I'm based in the UK so I guess it would be Kawai Europe?)

It does sound like a known issue with some DPs so I imagine it wouldn't be something that could easily be fixed in my particular piano?

#2377324 - Yesterday at 08:11 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
soundsystem, as dewster notes, the CS7 does not support this 'silent replay' characteristic. We are aware of this point, however I'm not sure if a decision has been made on whether it will be implemented on the CS series.

Please do contact Kawai UK/Kawai Europe to make your feelings known. I shall also check the situation with R&D.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2377325 - Yesterday at 08:13 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Soundsystem, I would bet that all Kawai DPs do this - best of luck in getting some corrective action on it. And thanks for bringing your experience with this issue to the general attention of PW readers.
ĦIMO!

#2377333 - Yesterday at 08:30 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
soundsystem Offline

Okay. I've emailed Kawai describing the problem (and included a link to this thread) and suggested it should be fixed in a firmware update.

It's something I can live with, given that I much preferred the Kawai's action and sound over other DPs I tried in the same price range, and the fact that I can get around it by using Pianoteq and possibly other software pianos.

Really I am quite surprised that Kawai and other DP manufacturers don't 'support this characteristic' when it's such a fundamental part of how an acoustic piano operates, especially when every other aspect is simulated in such detail.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread for your advice.

Dan

#2377346 - Yesterday at 09:21 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: soundsystem

Really I am quite surprised that Kawai and other DP manufacturers don't 'support this characteristic' when it's such a fundamental part of how an acoustic piano operates, especially when every other aspect is simulated in such detail.

I'd be interested to know which other manufacturers don't include this feature.

#2377630 - Today at 04:01 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Not to excuse the behaviour of the instrument, but the chords in the left hand are marked forte in the score, while the held F# is presumably still pp. So it shouldn't really be possible to hear the first F# cutting out since that note has been re-struck at higher volume. It's only if you play the chords more quietly that you'd hear this.

More problematic for me is how the sound gets louder when you press the damper pedal with notes held down. Instead of applying damper resonance to each note that is struck while the pedal is down, a filter is applied to all the sound output, with the effect of making existing sustained notes louder. Have you noticed that? I bet it's still the same in the new models.

#2377719 - Today at 06:53 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
chickenlump Online   content

Loc: Canada
Does the CS series have a different firmware to the CA series? I thought they were the same except in different cabinets.

I just tried this myself on my CA95 and I can't recreate the error. My key continues to play with sustain release.

#2377725 - Today at 07:15 PM Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: soundsystem]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
It happens on my CA95.
1. Hold sustain
2. Play a note ff
3. Play the same note pp and hold it
4. Release sustain. The ff note cuts out

#2377771 - 58 minutes 1 second ago Re: Sustain pedal behaviour - Kawai CS7 [Re: lolatu]
chickenlump Online   content

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: lolatu
It happens on my CA95.
1. Hold sustain
2. Play a note ff
3. Play the same note pp and hold it
4. Release sustain. The ff note cuts out

Yes, that happens to me as well, although (thankfully the times when that would affect something in a practical sense is rare)

What i interpreted the OP to mean was that the note cut off without releasing the key.
ie. 1. hold sustain 2. play note 3. hold note 4. release sustain - note cuts off. Did i interpret this wrong?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
2015 NAMM Show - Will You Be There?
Kathy and I would like to meet you
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A nice thought
by PhilipInChina
01/24/15 09:27 PM
Stevie Wonder at NAMM
by Scott Hamlin
01/24/15 08:41 PM
The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller
by Fripp
01/24/15 06:48 PM
Another new student
by Steve617
01/24/15 06:05 PM
Barenboim discusses how to listen to music
by pianoloverus
01/24/15 05:32 PM
Forum Stats
77836 Members
42 Forums
160905 Topics
2363678 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission