Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds
Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds with Emphasis on the Piano
Learn More

or
Buy This Book on Amazon.com
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Pianoteq
Who's Online
141 registered (36251, albumblatter, accordeur, alfredo capurso, ando, 42 invisible), 1965 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2377716 - Yesterday at 06:48 PM The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller
Fripp Offline

It will be available in 4, 6 and 8 octaves and to a low price, especially when compared to the price of the original VAX77.

It's a Kickstarter project and we'll have to wait until next year, but I like what I'm seeing laugh

Kickstarter - VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2377726 - Yesterday at 07:22 PM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Very interesting!

#2377746 - Yesterday at 08:16 PM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
Dwscamel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow, our wishes have come true!!

#2377750 - Yesterday at 08:33 PM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
ElmerJFudd Online   content

I watched this all the way through. It sounds like a fun DYI build. Their firmware was quite good on the original VAX, so this could be a very nice controller. I just wonder what the action will feel like. No doubt they are excited about the new sensor. But the keys will have a steel rod running through then to a hammer of sorts that hits what? I don't know that I could buy it without playing it first.

#2377825 - Today at 01:56 AM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
doremi Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

It may not be difficult to make the modular controllers stackable http://orladirect.co.uk/jamkey/ It would open up additional market segments.

#2377875 - Today at 08:39 AM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Watched the video. What is the sensor technology? He doesn't say.

@ 4:25 : "This is a key element of the design. Every other keyboard in the world senses the key going down, how fast is the key going? That's not right, we want to know how fast the hammer is going. Those are two very different numbers."

While I agree one is better off sensing the hammer vs. the key, he's surprisingly completely and utterly wrong concerning "every other keyboard in the world" not doing this - most DPs have the sensors located on the hammer. And the truly "right" way to sense a hammer action is to have continuous sensors on both the hammer and key (for damping).

I do like the design of the key / hammer though, that's the most innovative thing I see here (along with the continuous sensing).

If these things just fall together, why aren't they assembling them pre-shipping? I don't really get it. I'd rather not trust the general public with sensitive electronics, holding their hands through the assembly, troubleshooting, etc. Kits can be a can of worms for everyone involved, and this isn't just an Arduino shield you pick up at Radio Shack.

I can't believe they aren't offering a 76 key version, though I suppose they aren't because of the 2 octave base unit modularity.

More horsepower in there would give us a nice open platform to develop our own DP on.

But godspeed and more power to them, we need alternative and better controllers.
ĦIMO!

#2377876 - Today at 08:45 AM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
Pete14 Online   content

I assume the continuous sensing is similar to the optical sensors used in the AvantGrands, or am I wrong?

#2377877 - Today at 08:56 AM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
In the video he said they looked at optical and capacitive sensing and didn't go with them. I have a feeling it's a linear Hall Effect device but that's just a guess (and there isn't much else it could be after ruling optical and capacitive out, except for maybe RF transmission).

I personally would start with an FPGA and give capacitance my best shot. Most developers start with a processor and this severely limits your choices when it comes to gobs of sensors and precision timing. An FPGA could be incredibly effective here, too bad they aren't better understood by the development community.
ĦIMO!

#2377886 - Today at 09:41 AM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
Pete14 Online   content

Good to know, Dewster.

Optical sensors seem to work very well for the Yamahas, but perhaps the people at VAX are simply looking beyond, or at least at other, more practical alternatives.

The one thing I don't like about the AvantGrand's sensors is that under certain conditions you can see the red -optical- light. It's not a big deal, but it looks a bit like a cheap keyboard with light-up keys; just a bit. Of course, the advantages of a continuously-sensing optical 'light' far outweigh this tiny flaw; which I'm sure most people don't care about or even notice.

#2377914 - Today at 10:55 AM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
ElmerJFudd Online   content

I am pretty sure they are offering this DYI because assembly is an area that killed them on the first VAX. Clearly building them in the US priced the keyboard way out of reach of most non-pros (or I should say people who who have difficulty justifying such a purchase without significant income from playing or a tax deduction). At this point, I would guess they have a staff of... 2 - 4 maybe 6 people? So perhaps they are trying the opposite, price it as low as possible and avoid the 6 of them sitting in the shop putting them together themselves.

#2377923 - Today at 11:11 AM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
Pete14 Online   content

I don't see why the 6 of them could not sit in the shop and put these together. As Dewster suggested, these parts just fall in together (pre-built modules), and I'm certain that initial sales will be slow/moderate, so they can do it.

As things pick up, they can hire more people for assembly purposes. This whole "you can do it yourself" approach is a bit gimmicky. What next? When I buy a Corolla, Toyota will simply send me an assembly-kit along with the parts, so I can build it myself and feel that I'm, after all, worthy.

"I'm not worthy; I'm not worthy," said Wayne. grin

#2377926 - Today at 11:16 AM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
PianoMan51 Offline

Loc: United States
I can't help but wonder if the 'kit' of parts allows them to import their product to markets that would require expensive certification if sold as a complete unit.

#2377928 - Today at 11:19 AM Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: Fripp]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

I'm intrigued by a low-cost design that minimizes pushback, which is my problem with so many actions. And based on past threads here, a lot of people looking for a small (i.e. 4 octave) weighted board are going to be happy. I'm curious about what the travel weight will be. And also, once the individual 2-octave modules are assembled, whether they can be attached/detached from each other relatively quickly and easily, which would could open up some other travel options.

#2377967 - 17 minutes 19 seconds ago Re: The new VAX MIDI Keyboard Controller [Re: anotherscott]
doremi Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
... once the individual 2-octave modules are assembled, whether they can be attached/detached from each other relatively quickly and easily, which would could open up some other travel options.

Yeah, it makes much more sense to me to make/sell pre-assembled 2-octave modules (or even 1-octave modules) that click together, along with a wheels module for the left, end cap for the right.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
2015 NAMM Show - Will You Be There?
Kathy and I would like to meet you
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How long to take formal lessons?
by eighty80eights8s
01/25/15 11:46 AM
Firmware 1.13 update for Casio PX-5S
by TonyB
01/25/15 11:35 AM
Starting to learn Liszt Hun.Rhapsody no.12 and Rach's 39/6.
by Svenno
01/25/15 10:24 AM
Grigory Sokolov plays Rach 3
by bennevis
01/25/15 10:12 AM
2001 or 2002 Estonia asking 8k?
by overeat
01/25/15 01:37 AM
Forum Stats
77836 Members
42 Forums
160913 Topics
2363867 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission