2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2377408 01/24/15 02:28 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to piano world, although I have been browsing the forums for some time :-) I am 25 years old and have been playing the piano since I was 9 1/2, and here's where the problems begin! I had a natural interest in the piano, and began learning to play by ear. I picked up what I could from other pianists, and I listened to alot of classical music, and records of famous pianists such as Ferrante and Teicher. As soon as I could play the hymns of our church well enough by ear to accompany the congregational hymns, my pastor stuck me on the piano bench, replacing our hired pianist of 20 years! I was blessed with the gift of perfect pitch. When I started college, music theory and formal piano lessons were very easy for me at first, then I began to discover that there were problems, needless to say. I began studying proper piano scales, and building a small repertoire of classical pieces. My voice teacher quickly made me the accompanimist for our college chorale, and I still play for them. I regularly play for local churches and high school choirs. Now I'll get to the problems: I practice and warm up with scales every day, and continue to challenge myself with new pieces, but if feels like it does me no good. My left hand is very weak, even though I have worked especially hard on it for nearly two years now. Even though I have worked on Mozart's piano sonata in C (K545) for over a year, I have no control over my hands, my fingers slip or simply won't work. I have read a lot about proper arm support and such, but I don't know how to approach it, I feel like I am playing from my fingers, which fatigue very quickly. It is keeping me from a lot of wonderful things in music, and I've reached the breaking point with it all, please help!!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
First : You should post your question(s) in the Pianist Corner or in the Adult Beginners' Forum (even though you are not necessarily a beginner, but perhaps are in the respect of proper training to play classical piano music).

Second : No one can really help you without both hearing and seeing how you play. Your best bet for help if you are serious about learning how to overcome your problems so you can play classical music is to get a good teacher.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
The key is knowing which muscular coordination is required at any given moment and allow what's not required to relax.

Laissez tomber les mains
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I went through a several teachers when I began lessons at 9. With slight variations they assigned me scales and arpeggios ( which I still hate) Czerny and Burgmuller. Then a horrible period with Pischna and Plaidy. One of my earliest teachers had me sitting at a table with my hand resting like paws ... then she instructed me to lift each finger one by one and tap the table. I hated that too.

When I was fifteen I met Madame Kolessa .. a retired European concert pianist By then I was a student at the Quebec Conservatoire and very advanced. Well she told me outright I'd do nothing but technical exercises for SIX months ... two or three hours a day. She was testing my determination and preparing me for the most incredible technical exercises I ever learned.

The first lesson ... she grabbed my arm and suspended it over the keys and growled ..?Relax" ... after considerable growling I finally attained the appropriate relaxed weight ... whereupon she dropped my arm onto the keyboard. The resounding crash still reverberates in my ears forty years later. The torture continued. I was required to relax and then drop onto the keys. Stiffening a finger could easily have resulted in a broken digit but she made sure my wrists were limp before the plunge. And when my hand hit the keyboard the entire wrist dropped below the level of the keys. It was arduous and painful. I had bruises on my wrists from "misses".

But in six months I had a technique which was the perfect vehicle for hours of heavy practice ... and which allowed me to play with the flourishes of a concert artist. I could raise my hands very high off the keys and hit those chords unerringly. Someone recently remarked that my relaxed hands look eerily boneless .. like an octopus ... and I realized that they do. I type a great deal as well and have never suffered any join pains .... because I drop onto everything. There is no"rigid" position ... I flap and flutter over the keys of both the piano and my computer.

So while I don't impose such a rigorous regimen on my students ... I do insist that they relax those hands. My only insistence on "form" is that they make "paws" ... gently curving the hand. Dexterity is provided by practicing the scales and the Hanon .... but again ... always in a relaxed state. If they stiffen up then I have them shake their hands vigorously for a few moments. I don't fret over body position or arm position ... if the shoulders are relaxed. then they won't be hunched up around the neck.

Relaxation is the key. Consciously relax your fingers and feel the difference. I wouldn't suggest dropping your arms onto the keys without a good teacher beside you. But you can practice lightly bouncing off the keys an inch or so to get the feeling.

There is far too much emphasis on body posture and finger positiong and so many details which far too often serve to make the students terribly tense. The first rule is to RELAX your fingers ... and then the arms and upper body ....

If you want a free download of Hanon, you can get one at IMSLP ... or my website. I recommend it because it's easy and fun and a great workout .... if you relax before each bar. And it contributes to dexterity. laugh

Lubka Kolessa has several You Tube clips but none show her playing ... they are all recordings. But you can hear the fluidity of her touch.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Laissez tomber les mains.

Laissez tomber les mains
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us

Maybe it's just the French .... but you said in "quatre mots" .... everything I struggled with in hundreds. laugh

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by TheHappyPianoMuse
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us

Maybe it's just the French .... but you said in "quatre mots" .... everything I struggled with in hundreds. laugh
Chopin actually.

Laissez tomber les mains

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission