2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by iLaw

-- having reasonably-maintained Boston UP-126E PEs in the practice rooms, on the other hand, gave me a headache. Not because there's anything inherently wrong with that piano, just that it is WAY TOO MUCH PIANO for a 5' x 10' concrete-walled practice room. I had to just hold down the una corda (half blow) pedal to get anything like a room-appropriate range of dynamics.

Larry.

I've got 21 Boston 118 S which are smaller and to Kawai's credit, they have not climbed louder over the past 9 years. Loud pianos in small practice rooms is pretty common. Our rooms have sound absorbing panels, which help, and posters advising of ear plug use are on the wall. Some of the wind and brass are much louder than a piano is in a small room.

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
As the thread begins to fray……

I am continually amazed at how loud students will play in a small room. I only get the needles in the practice room hammers about every two years, and they are usually really bright. So, I don't understand how a student can play at FFF with the lid up on a model O or L in a little bitty practice room. I don't think they are high, judging by how well they are playing, but I wonder if hearing loss is already a factor…
Regards,

Me too - The kids rarely raise the lids on the B's in the practice rooms. Fortunately, I get the needles on these every summer, with touch ups at tunings if needed. Replaced hammers on one last summer, too.

I
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by carey

I wonder why they say "before returning to the workforce." Sounds like once the kids get their advanced degrees, they come home and get a "real job" in a field other than music.

Wow. Or maybe they say it because they consider working musicians to be part of the workforce.

Larry.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

2) Apparently not having Steinways to practice on at MCC didn't seem to hurt those who went on to attend other schools. smile

Well that is the point now, isn't it?

I can see how school donors might be attracted by a program like this. But does everybody fall for it?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I wonder why they say "before returning to the workforce." Sounds like once the kids get their advanced degrees, they come home and get a "real job" in a field other than music.

Wow. Or maybe they say it because they consider working musicians to be part of the workforce.

Larry.

In Waco? I doubt it. More to the point, that little school has no real way of tracking those students anyhow. Unless of course they are using stat's from the Bureau of Labor? (LOL)

I
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

In Waco? I doubt it. More to the point, that little school has no real way of tracking those students anyhow. Unless of course they are using stat's from the Bureau of Labor? (LOL)

They're talking about former MCC students who went on to Baylor, SMU, Stephen F. Austin, Juilliard, The Manhattan School of Music and the New England Conservatory of Music. Why are you disparaging these people? Do you think Juilliard, MSM, and NEC grads can't get a job in music just because they grew up in Waco?

And apparently your alma mater's alumni relations office is less efficient than mine. Mine hasn't lost track of my location, place of employment (and apparently my income level) in 40 years!

Larry.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I leave for vacation and come back and this thread is still going!

In today's episode, "Pain in the Astoria," a hilarious case of mistaken identity ensues, where country boy from Carolina is set up on a blind date with a pretty girl from New York, only to find out she's a Bostonian! In order to impress his folks, he attempts to pass her off as a world-class cosmopolitan from Queens, even though her Worcester accent and talk of having gone to music school gets her in trouble with his purist, conservative parents.

Don't miss next week's Piano World episode, "Shigeru Kawaii!", where a confused piano tuner from Hamamatsu, Japan ends up at the wrong house and has to escape the socially-awkward Anime fan who lives there and who will not stop talking about his favorite OVA, "Millenium Action III." Eventually, the two make friends when the otaku finds out that the piano tech's son works at the studio that makes MA:3.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
And apparently your alma mater's alumni relations office is less efficient than mine. Mine hasn't lost track of my location, place of employment (and apparently my income level) in 40 years!
Neither have the three schools I received degrees from ....and for some reason, they keep asking for money. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Markarian
I leave for vacation and come back and this thread is still going!

In today's episode, "Pain in the Astoria," a hilarious case of mistaken identity ensues, where country boy from Carolina is set up on a blind date with a pretty girl from New York, only to find out she's a Bostonian! In order to impress his folks, he attempts to pass her off as a world-class cosmopolitan from Queens, even though her Worcester accent and talk of having gone to music school gets her in trouble with his purist, conservative parents.

Don't miss next week's Piano World episode, "Shigeru Kawaii!", where a confused piano tuner from Hamamatsu, Japan ends up at the wrong house and has to escape the socially-awkward Anime fan who lives there and who will not stop talking about his favorite OVA, "Millenium Action III." Eventually, the two make friends when the otaku finds out that the piano tech's son works at the studio that makes MA:3.

Hilarious! smile

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

They're talking about former MCC students who went on to Baylor, SMU, Stephen F. Austin, Juilliard, The Manhattan School of Music and the New England Conservatory of Music. Why are you disparaging these people? Do you think Juilliard, MSM, and NEC grads can't get a job in music just because they grew up in Waco?

Larry.

Hi Larry,

Oh, please.

1-Actually, the cast majority of graduates from the top schools end up, in the very first years of leaving school, with jobs in real estate, finance, various non-profits, food service and even domestic help, and other fields not related to music.

Surely you knew that, didn't you?

I have several friends with advanced performance degrees from the very top schools who are administrators in non-profits, don't teach, and don't perform much at all. They certainly don't earn even the majority of their income from making music.

2- As far as the "efficiency" of my alma mater goes- I was a member of my almuni association for 30+ years. I lived at the same address for 18 of those years. I only joined so I could get a discounted library card, which was worth its weight in gold.

After the 5th year of membership, they stopped sending me fun-raising pitches. Can you imagine? They must not have needed the money, or they thought that I had sent in the requisite amount. Every year I had to renew my membership for my library card, and I had to remind the association staff person of my address each time, which they had a hard time finding. In 2006, they lost track of me entirely (I had also given up my library card). And I went to the University of California. My career has included quite a bit of groundbreaking published research relevant to the field, one domestic patent issued and two others pending, a number of publications and high-profile performances, a couple of very nice published reviews, and a number of my students getting in to good schools including my old department. I was the only person from my department to have such accomplishments professionally, and the alumni newsletter NEVER had a single item in it about any of my career highlights without my telling them about it. I stopped doing that after the third year of membership because the whole thing was so stupid. They didn't follow anything about me in any way, not even when I started my consulting business 25+ years ago and started getting big clients including a couple of state governments, two of which had announcements published in the major regional papers.

What can I say, except that 1- I am not impressed, and 2-your school thinks, very obviously, that they need your money more than my school needs mine.

BTW, I don't care where you went to school, my school was bigger and better funded. You decide what all that means.

As far as a microscopically tiny junior college in a backwater suburb of Dallas, I have no ideas where they would get the money to track former students in this fashion.

Unless of course the Steinway group helps them endow a foundation specifically for this function....(LOL)...

...it's still a bunch of marketing BS...that helps the music student very little fundamentally...if at all...

Last edited by laguna_greg; 01/28/15 11:02 PM. Reason: clarity, and subject verb agreement
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I was the only person from my department to have such accomplishments professionally, and the alumni newsletter NEVER had a single item in it about any of my career highlights without my telling them about it.

Well, you can thank the internet that you've been able to rectify that situation in your last post. wink

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I heard tell, once, of an all - well some brand- school which was given a piano by a different maker but they couldn't admit this even though everybody knew it to be the case. Of course I don't believe a word of it.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
I was the only person from my department to have such accomplishments professionally, and the alumni newsletter NEVER had a single item in it about any of my career highlights without my telling them about it.

Well, you can thank the internet that you've been able to rectify that situation in your last post. wink

I'm certain they are still not paying attention. yawn

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission