Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds
Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds with Emphasis on the Piano
Learn More

or
Buy This Book on Amazon.com
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Pianoteq
Who's Online
74 registered (AZNpiano, ando, AZ_Astro, 17 invisible), 1093 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2379008 - 01/28/15 04:32 AM We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE!
ZeroZero Offline

Loc: UK
I currently play a Roland 700NX, I have had a lot of keyboards in my time most of which I would not mention. I have a C2 within reach too.

The Roland has spoilt me for touch. Its just a fantastic instrument touch wise. The Concert Grande is very decent straight from the box. The other Pianos are OKish, might go in this or that mix, but are not (IMO) goto. The Roland is poorly served by its tiny VDU, some, only some sounds are easily reached, the Synth is good average, no more.

I imagine this:

PO:

Imagine a robust non plasticky stage keyboard with 88 piano keys, build as well as the Roland. Each key also pressure sensitive.

Housed in this body above this, a Hammond Style, "waterfall" keyboard spanning four octaves, in the centre. Above this the Drawbars and essential Hammond dials.

To the left of the main keyboard a a pair of controller wheels, an input for a breath controller.

To the left of the "Hammond" interface, an area to provide synth control buttons - eight sliders and some generic dials. Each dial would be lit, and a small VDU would be beneath it to display its current reading.

Above, and attached to the keyboard would be the "music stand".

This would have a support stand for to USB connect a touch tablet PC of your choice. This tablet could be a standard Win or Apple tablet and it would provide an additional powerhouse for the keyboard

The Tablet could provide the following:

Notation Display (no more peering in the Dark)
Ability to Play VSTs
Normal Windows functions
Large clear graphical touch Interfaces for any loaded instrument
Help Manual
Internet connection if desired
Ability to Run a Sequencer of your choice

Packaged into the product would be ONLY instruments of the highest quality. No "almost made it" instruments.

These would include at least one example of each type of piano, each type of 'classic' organ (Wurlitzers, , harpsichord etc. Further instruments could be used from any manufacturer of VSTs.

Apart fro supporting VSTS, the synth section would not only give the "classic" synth sounds (which can be cheesy) but also there would be an ability to warp natural sounds (e.g. a real bee buzz). Introducing real world sounds (Omnisphere's burning piano for example) is key to getting at those wonderful sounds that occupy the top studios'
Special care would be given to providing USEABLE keyboard sounds. By this I exclude those Absynth like sounds that on the press of one key the sound goes on warping about for a minute of so. I mean those sounds that are "keyboardistic" (forgive the neologisms. Sounds that have a velocity variable attack, an intriguing sustain, and a useful decay. These forms of synth sounds can be very hard to find.
There are of course the group of bell like sounds, the natural bells andtghe warped bells, but there are also many other sounds that could be crafted and be both new and effective.

Inside the keyboard there would be an SSD hard drive. On this samples could be stored.

To the right of the "Hammond" interface, there would be a port for a mouse, a small but functional Alphanumeric keyboard.
Some assignable buttons for bringing up 'universal' presets, representing states of the instrument..

At the rear there would be ports to plug in a three pedal piano pedal set, a swell pedal and a footswitch - simultaneously! Of course there would be standard MIDI and Audio Ports. Additionally there would be a facility to plug in a user USB if desired.

Optionally, below, room to screw in optional robust legs. From these legs a bar could be provided to anchor the pedals so they don't move around. Cable clips for leads. Two types of cases, hard and soft, both with properly functional wheels

For me, such a keyboard would be all that many professional musicians would require. Provided it was built to the highest standard AND the sounds were top flight, it would sell.

I think that none of the current Top flight digital keyboards meet this criteria.
If you think about it, a Hammond does not really need to have Waterfall keys on its lower octave, this makes it easy to effectively combine the needs of a piano keyboard with those of a dual manual Hammond. The compromise is trivial.
Talking Hammond, there is nothing that really replaces drawbars, for their physical qualities. These may have to be motorised to bring up presets.

There are so many musicians that would pay for something that is RIGHT, an all in one package that is functional, customisable and upgradeable. Such a package would have to be versatile and with a killer intuitive GUI (the tablet).

Obviously building up to the highest standards in this way would be expensive, perhaps much more expensive than even the top flight keyboards of today. Maybe $8000 dollars or more.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2379070 - 01/28/15 09:43 AM Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: ZeroZero]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ZeroZero
Imagine a robust non plasticky stage keyboard with 88 piano keys, build as well as the Roland. Each key also pressure sensitive.

Pressure sensitive (aftertouch) is good (poly AT even better, if we're going to dream), but I think it's more useful on organ/synth action than on weighted piano action.

Housed in this body above this, a Hammond Style, "waterfall" keyboard (etc.)

It's going to be too heavy. Look how heavy the 700NX is to begin with!

Maybe $8000 dollars or more.

I think the idea of building a weighted and unweighted action into a single chassis is that there should be either a benefit in portability or a benefit in price compared to using two keyboards, I don't think your model addresses that. What's the real benefit? Especially when the odds that the same company is going to make your favorite piano action AND your favorite organ action, your favorite piano sounds AND your favorite organ sounds, is going to be quite small?

#2379075 - 01/28/15 09:47 AM Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: ZeroZero]
ZeroZero Offline

Yes the 700nx is heavy, but the Nord's are not, not is the Korg

#2379148 - 01/28/15 12:13 PM Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: ZeroZero]
Composer135 Offline

#2379157 - 01/28/15 12:40 PM Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: ZeroZero]
ZeroZero Offline

that's an intriguing link, but I would not want to stick bits on a keyboard. If the keyboard has after touch then surely you wont need to do this

#2379162 - 01/28/15 01:00 PM Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: ZeroZero]
Composer135 Offline

This is far better than aftertouch; it's multi axis control. It allows for infinitely more control than just aftertouch... If I had a separate GOOD midi keyboard apart from my main piano, I would consider installing this. I could play vibrato a-la-Ondes Martenot with vst's while having the touch control the volume itself. So many possibilities... I could even really play Ondes Martenot if I wanted to cool

#2379205 - 01/28/15 02:41 PM Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: ZeroZero]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England

So we have this.....

Which gets this pertinant response...

Originally Posted By: anotherscott

It's going to be too heavy. Look how heavy the 700NX is to begin with!

And then we have this reply to the response.....

Yes the 700nx is heavy, but the Nord's are not, not is the Korg

So the much vaunted Roland build is instantly able to be "compromised" to the qualities of a lighter instrument.
To me, another RD700NX player, that is a bit of a contradiction.

#2379253 - 01/28/15 05:05 PM Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: ZeroZero]
ZeroZero Offline

Slippery

I see your point, Slippery, but there is some room for manoevre. I have owned the Nord Stage 2 and the build is reasonable, it's a lot lighter. I notice that the 800NX is not so heavy too. The C2 is trivially light. However i do not think that they have got the build right. Its a matter of thinking it through, its possible I am sure, without too much compromise.

If it has to be heavy, then the wheels should reflect this.

Composer 135
OK that looks good, maybe the shape of things to come, once built in. We do need better control over vibrato with orchestral sounds, and other sensitivities of touch.

Edited by ZeroZero (01/28/15 05:07 PM)

#2379577 - Yesterday at 11:23 AM Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: ZeroZero]
Cmin Online   content

Loc: Swabia
For me, speakers are missing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2379813 - Yesterday at 09:26 PM Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: Cmin]
Dave Weiser Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Love this thread!!!!

The dual manual thing reminded me of the dual bubble-domes on The Homer. Regrettably the actual Simpsons clip is unavailable due to strict copyright enforcement on youtube re all Simpons content.

#2379909 - Today at 05:04 AM Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: ZeroZero]
ZeroZero Offline

Love it Dave. Po smile

The issue is has any manufacturer covered the high ground? I think the Kronus comes close, but the build isn't there IMO

I dont think its out there Nord's have their virtues the best keybed I have found is in the 700NX, The CC2's keys feel like a toy, I had a keyb duo and the keys were great - so it is possible, even in single manual.

We need those drawbars and we need them tactile real rods. We need presets for drawbar positions too, the CC2 did not get that right I have not used its sibling.

Perhaps drawbars can be utilised as control sliders.

We need to store quality sounds - not just from one source, but be able to support VSTs' DXI or whatever is flovour of the month - hence a PC on board.

Most EP interfaces could be modelled with a touch screen interface, this just doesn't seem to be right for Hammond though. (IMO)

Yes, as people point out, the surface of the keyboard is changing in its sensitivites, this needs to be exploited - I do orchestral VST stuff myself and I know how important that is.

There MUST be a facility for a screen size you want. Most people have a tablet around in the West, or can get one cut down p[rices from China. If the storage is onboard the keyboard, and is of SSD quality - this takes the strain of the variety of tablets that might be around. Most things would function.

Thinking about robustness - Carbon fibre? Composite materials? We would pay, if they got it right.

They can build aircraft wings, polythene last for thousands of years in the soil.(Po not literal)

It all needs rethinking.

Right back to the I,VI, II,V's

Z

#2379910 - Today at 05:07 AM Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: ZeroZero]
ZeroZero Offline

#2379921 - 11 minutes 33 seconds ago Re: We Need Someone to Build this keyboard PLEASE! [Re: ZeroZero]
Cmin Online   content

Loc: Swabia
Check out Böhm Organs.
They even make personalised keyboards.

Edited by Cmin (9 minutes 51 seconds ago)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
NAMM Show 2015 Follow Up!
-------------------

Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The "Secret" to Glen Gould's Awesome Technique?
by Paul678
01/30/15 04:06 AM
Interview w/Mark Polishook about learning how to Improvise
by Mark Polishook
01/30/15 04:06 AM
First digital piano after coda?
by Oberyn12
01/30/15 03:56 AM
What else do I need to tune a grand?
by pinkfloydhomer
01/30/15 03:30 AM
Software to assist in learning ?
by Freebird308
01/30/15 02:47 AM
Forum Stats
77923 Members
42 Forums
161054 Topics
2365808 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission