Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds
Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds with Emphasis on the Piano
Learn More

or
Buy This Book on Amazon.com
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Pianoteq
Who's Online
65 registered (ando, BabyCat, barbaram, Allar A, AndyP, 15 invisible), 1153 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2379166 - Yesterday at 01:29 PM External monitors vs good built-in cabinet speakers?
JoeThePro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Im considering a DP purchase in the near future, but Im torn between going for an upright style piano like the CA95 or HP508, or something more lean like the Nord Piano2 or something similar.

With the stage piano style housing I would need external powered monitors, but it seems like this would not sound very "realistic" as far as having a point source of sound on each side of the keyboard. At least with the console style DPs you get more of an enveloping sound due to the multiple speakers, and now soundboard transducers.

Are there tricks that people use with monitors to get them to produce a more natural experience as far as not sounding like point sources?

Also, all things being equal (using a sampled piano via PC), which setup will sound better: the 2 external monitors or the DP cabinet speakers via Line-In?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2379171 - Yesterday at 01:36 PM Re: External monitors vs good built-in cabinet speakers? [Re: JoeThePro]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
One would like to think that the speaker system on a high-quality cabinet style DP would give a better sound that some user styled organization of speakers.

Having said that ... it may not be true.

Some will suggest you can do better with quality speakers independent of the piano cabinet.

There are so many factors involved with the final sound you get that it is almost impossible to come to a final conclusion.

Personally, I usually do not like the sound coming from a place other than my piano.

You just have to make a decision and go see for yourself.

Good Luck

P.S. If your primary goal is to learn to play the piano, it doesn't really matter which one you decide on. Just keep practicing.

Edited by dmd (Yesterday at 01:38 PM)

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2379183 - Yesterday at 02:10 PM Re: External monitors vs good built-in cabinet speakers? [Re: JoeThePro]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Joe,

How long is a piece of string?

External speakers can be of any size, wattage, efficiency and frequency response. They can be mounted at any distance to the keyboard and at any desired separation.

My setup has two passive JBL studio monitor Control 5 speakers (has 6" mid range drivers and 1" titanium tweeters), 3 feet distant and five feet apart. In addition I have a JBL Control sb-5 stereo woofer (four 6.5" drivers)

No way could the audio output of this system be described as having point source sound. The speakers are fed by a 100 Watt r.m.s Peavey reference amplifier.

Voices are from my Yamaha Tyros 5 or from Pianoteq 5.

Ian

#2379213 - Yesterday at 02:51 PM Re: External monitors vs good built-in cabinet speakers? [Re: Beemer]
JoeThePro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: Beemer
Joe,

External speakers can be of any size, wattage, efficiency and frequency response. They can be mounted at any distance to the keyboard and at any desired separation.

My setup has two passive JBL studio monitor Control 5 speakers (has 6" mid range drivers and 1" titanium tweeters), 3 feet distant and five feet apart. In addition I have a JBL Control sb-5 stereo woofer (four 6.5" drivers)

No way could the audio output of this system be described as having point source sound. The speakers are fed by a 100 Watt r.m.s Peavey reference amplifier.

Ian

Sounds like a nice setup. At what height do you have the pair of speakers?

#2379215 - Yesterday at 03:00 PM Re: External monitors vs good built-in cabinet speakers? [Re: JoeThePro]
Alexander Borro Offline

Loc: UK
Joe it depends what type you go for. Your typical smaller 5 inch near field studio monitor is very directional, I know that much having tried several of them and just experienced this owning some and to get the most out of them they need to be at the exact right height, you can't just put them on top of a piano cabinet and expect to get the same level of sound without dropping detail. Some can be a bit more forgiving than others. Fine for the player but not for inviting people to come an listen unless they are right behind you.

Before this I used a pair of vintage speakers when my old amp died I got the monitors, it was an old Hifi which are more like your room type setup that project into the room, rather than near field character of a studio monitor. The old Hifi setup IMHO did a better job at giving that surround feeling and not as sensitive to direction change, however I find the monitors are better when in the exact right spot for clear sound detail.

In fact I am going to pick up an old Hifi amp for the old vintage speakers and resurrect them and set them up behind me, and have the monitors in front, it should give a nice enveloping feeling.

The setup I liked software piano for most of the volume, through external speakers, a litte bit of sound coming out of the console for more surround feeling.

Now when I am finished decorating my room and all is setup. I will have 2x 5 inch monitors 2x75 watts front, 2x old vintage speakers behind, also 2x75 watts but with 8 inch woofers + 2 x 20 Watts out of the console. Enough to annoy the neighbours and be surrounded in sound I hope laugh

Edited by Alexander Borro (Yesterday at 03:08 PM)
Software: Ivory American D, Pianoteq 5 demo, The Giant, Cubase 6 LE.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2379247 - Yesterday at 04:54 PM Re: External monitors vs good built-in cabinet speakers? [Re: JoeThePro]
PtJaa Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Originally Posted By: JoeThePro
Also, all things being equal (using a sampled piano via PC), which setup will sound better: the 2 external monitors or the DP cabinet speakers via Line-In?

External monitors, definitely.
Internal speakers of digital pianos often don't work very well with external sound - things like equalisation can be the problem.
IMHO, half-decent monitors will do much better work. Just try to find ones that aren't too directional.

#2379465 - Today at 03:38 AM Re: External monitors vs good built-in cabinet speakers? [Re: JoeThePro]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: JoeThePro
Originally Posted By: Beemer
Joe,

Ian

Sounds like a nice setup. At what height do you have the pair of speakers?

Joe, the Control 5 speakers have their tweeters at ear height. The Control SB-5 sits on the floor at the left side of the keyboard. I also have a 150W Peavey KB300 keyboard amp which has a 15 inch driver and titanium horn tweeter. As its a mono amp I just keep it as a backup.

As an aside, most sound from an upright acoustic piano comes from the back of the piano radiating from the wooden soundboard. It then bounces of the wall (which should be at least 8" away). So position of digital piano speakers (except for Yamaha Avantgrand N3) are not emulating an acoustic anyhow.

Ian

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beethoven Sonata 30
by George Miller155
01/29/15 01:18 AM
The Right Words At The Right Time
by Cinnamonbear
01/29/15 12:09 AM
Having goals to aim for
by Arghhh
01/28/15 11:01 PM
Noise from line in on MP7?
by acoxcae
01/28/15 08:55 PM
Schubert and Alkan
by Polyphonist
01/28/15 08:44 PM
Forum Stats
77904 Members
42 Forums
161010 Topics
2365363 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission