2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 385 of 540 1 2 383 384 385 386 387 539 540

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by verqueue
It's not easy to teach someone, it's like sharing soul. Not everyone can do this.

Very admirable perspective....

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Saranoya I'm so glad you're getting back into your groove!!!

SandTiger: If you were so inspired, I bet something will come to you- some way to modify the piece to fulfill your expectations. Hang in there!

Giacomo: Great BD video for SwissMs, that made me laugh....
Congrats on solving the mystery! I too have made the "go even slower" discovery rather recently (and also after five years) so, if you were thinking you should have caught on sooner.... you've got company! I fully agree with you on all the benefits to be found when you really do hold to the slower tempos for longer than you want to. I find that I'm not so anxious to move on any more, because I am actually feeling little changes (for the better) every time I sit down to play.

8Octaves, congratulations! That's a wonderful achievement! What a great reward for the hard work you put into preparing for the exam!

Palmpirate: I don't remember which post I wrote "If you memorize a piece you own it in a special way". I think I've said it several times. I don't always memorize my pieces...sometimes to my regret - but I think my percentage of memorized versus not will go up in the future because of my new AND implemented "take it slow" approach. We shall see.
Good for you for insisting on your piano-only time! I haven't done any crossed hands pieces yet...I can imagine the brain twisting involved.

Malkin - that's neat! I had a similar experience using 2-5, which used to be very uncomfortable, but now it is second nature...well, smile almost.

Wisebuff: I haven't done any of Papa Bach yet. But from what I've seen and heard (and read here) the road is tricky but the rewards are many - enjoy the journey!

FarmGirl: don't we all dream of having "music days" smile Hope your business trip was short.

Brian - the first time round your teacher probably felt it wasn't the right moment to insist. She probably felt you weren't going to be able to get better at the broken staccato chords at that time. Take it as a compliment to your improvement that now is the moment to work on it.

Barbaram - 20 bpm over your comfort zone? That's a lot! Do take care of your injury!!!

ClsscLib: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hope your day is filled with joy - and lots of good music!
I love that Chopin Waltz. I plan to work on it and get it to performance level later this year. (I hope my teacher will help me on that!!)
Prima vista is such good training - congrats on your improvements!

SwissMs - the quote you cited is in TrapperJohn's signature smile
I'm adding YOUR words to my siggy line! I think the desire to move ahead is very strong in all of us!

verqueue: That's going to be a challenge! I hope you have fun with it. Your selections so far sound like excellent choices.

whew. That was a lot of catching up!

MY ATOW is just getting to the piano while feeling lousy. I have been down with a bug of some sort which has not been conducive to stimulating interest in anything requiring being out of bed. I even cancelled my piano lesson - the first time in five years! Fortunately the worst seems to be over and I hope to get some good practice in before my next lesson.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl, I wanted to get my two schloberers to do this, but they would just eat the plates.......

[Linked Image]

Hoping you feel better soon.

Giacomo

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
MY ATOW is just getting to the piano while feeling lousy. I have been down with a bug of some sort which has not been conducive to stimulating interest in anything requiring being out of bed. I even cancelled my piano lesson - the first time in five years! Fortunately the worst seems to be over and I hope to get some good practice in before my next lesson.

You're better than me for sure. I felt lousy yesterday and just watched a movie instead of practicing piano. I decided to give myself a break. I will practice today I promise.

I hope you feel better soon.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
(to dogs) aaawwwwwwwwww smile

Last edited by Jytte; 01/28/15 08:11 PM.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl,
Sorry to hear your not feeling well
Hope you will feel better soon.

Originally Posted by JimF
Cheryl, I wanted to get my two schloberers to do this, but they would just eat the plates.......

[Linked Image]

Hoping you feel better soon.

Giacomo

What a bantastic card (thinking about stealing the idea now!)

B
B
Honestly, this week my biggest achievement was maintaining a regular practice schedule of at least 15 minutes or more. I'm hoping to increase it to 30 minutes in the near future.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Awwwwwww Giacomo, you're the best. Love those dogs!
I feel better already.
Thanks for the good wishes everyone 2hearts

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Brucrpiano, being able to increase how much you can do in a day, or in a sitting is a big step forward. Good for you!

[Linked Image]

R
R
Hello .... I wanted to thank everyone for all the words of encouragement when I posted back on the 21st trying to figure out "where I belonged" It was so good to hear many share the same frustrations and it really did renew my enthusiasm for playing. I continue my Diabelli Sonatina in F Maj ..... I have completed the Rondo (very very slow) but I can get thru it. I have also started an "easier" piece as some suggested. Heller Etude Opus 47, No 15 ..... so far so good.

I do enjoy reading all the comments and success stories to keep me inspired !! Thank You

Richard G
Adult Piano Beginner, began lessons at age 58 in 2012....
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Barbaram - 20 bpm over your comfort zone? That's a lot! Do take care of your injury!!!

Yes, I feel a bit foolish in hindsight!
Pretty sure it's very minor but continuing to take a rest from anything likely to stress it until it's fully better.

Sorry to hear you have been sick, hope you feel better soon!

Verqueue - well done getting the piano job, hope you enjoy it.
I see that we share another hobby, though I suspect your climbing abilities, like your piano abilities, are far ahead of mine (sweeping generalisation here re all French climbers being insanely hardcore).
I don't get to do much climbing these days - it's a lot easier to make time for piano with young kids around than to make time for climbing.

Richard G - glad to hear you are feeling enthusiastic again. I find this a great community for keeping me positive as slowly, slowly progress. Like so many of us, I can get frustrated and feel I "should" be learning more quickly. One of the biggest lessons I've learned here is that it takes as long as it takes, and it's about the journey not the destination!

BrucePiano - getting a consistent practice routine going is great.

[Linked Image]
V
V
Originally Posted by barbaram
[quote=casinitaly]
Verqueue - well done getting the piano job, hope you enjoy it.
I see that we share another hobby, though I suspect your climbing abilities, like your piano abilities, are far ahead of mine (sweeping generalisation here re all French climbers being insanely hardcore).
I don't get to do much climbing these days - it's a lot easier to make time for piano with young kids around than to make time for climbing.

I can lead only routes below 5.10d (6a+), so I'm not even intermediate wink. In bouldering my hardest boulder was 6b+, but I think I was lucky I did it. I'm very short (153cm), so a lot of routes are harder for me than for my friends. I started to climb 2 years ago, it's a great sport. But I don't want to push myself too much, because I'm scared of my fingers sometimes. It helps me resolve some mental problems in piano playing too, making fast decisions, etc. I think it's one of those things which keeps me away from madness wink.

Why don't you teach your kids to climb? This is great sport for kids. I see some families in my climbing gym and in rocks also. Kids are climbing, then adults, and they are all happy. The youngest kid I ever saw was about 3-4 years old...

A
A
I now have both LH and RH memorized for Tambourin. Never thought I could get the LH memorized but I did that tonight. Now if I could just play a few of those sections a little quicker and up to the same tempo I play the rest of it I'd be okay. I'm never going to play this up to its proper tempo because I've heard it and that's insane.

I'd rather stay home and work on that piece than leave for work in 15 minutes *sigh*. Breakthroughs for me always happen right before I have to leave. Hopefully I'll remember what I did in 8 hours when I get home at 6am and play through it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] XXXVII-XXXIX

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Piano Playing since November 2014
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Today, I finished out the month of January with twenty light green, six dark green and regrettably, three yellow and two orange days on my practice calendar. That means I achieved my goal (to play every day, and get in at least twenty hours of practice this month) by quite a wide margin. Next up: to have a month with no orange days (those are the days with less than 45 minutes of practice).

On the downside: that means it took me twenty-one hours to learn the Allemande from Händel's Harpsichord Suite 437. I'm a slow learner. But I guess I'll just have to accept that.

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
I prefer live music to recordings.

Me too! However, if I'm going to go see a live performance, I'd prefer to sit some place that will let me see the pianist's hands. In practice, that's very unlikely in most places.

As for your songwriting efforts: keep trying, I'd say, but it doesn't seem like you need much external encouragement in that department. You are amazingly self-motivated, and I admire you for that.

Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
Not sure if it's a AOTW, but I did get results back from RCM that I passed the my advance theory exam, so phew! I have completed all the theory requirements for up to RCM Level 8.

And you're not sure that's an achievement? Well, let me tell you then: that's an achievement! And not a small one, either. Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Palmpirate
I said that I was 'Not available' when I sat at the piano so didn't get interruptions. Bliss!

In certain circumstances, it can be hard to carve out time that's "just for you". I don't know the ins and outs of your daily life, but I imagine that if you have a family, and/or important professional responsibilities to keep up with, then this is a major achievement indeed. Good for you!

Originally Posted by JimF
The other reason was that my teacher and I were working on a bit of mystery, trying to figure out why in the later stages of learning something I always seem to reach a point where I stop reading my piece.

My response to that is "duh". The longer you practice, the less you need the sheet, and so the less you look at it. Right? That seems so logical to me ... but you call it a "mystery"? To be honest, I don't get why you would even *want* to still be looking at the sheet near the end of your learning process on any given piece. But probably that's just me!

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
There must be people out there who naturally learn Bach. For me it's like climbing a fourteener...lots of work and effort but worth the achievement of making the summit.

I currently feel the same way about Händel ... You're not the only one who doesn't learn naturally. Congratulations on approaching the summit!

Originally Posted by BrianDX
I'm now at the end of my Faber Level 3A book, I have another piece like this, except it is a rag, with syncopation in the right hand, and more broken staccato chords in the left. I played it on Monday, and got the same complaint (in spades). Only this time, my teacher is not letting it go.

That's as tangible a sign of good progress as I've ever seen smile. Your teacher knows you can do it, and so the bar has been raised. Be proud of that, Brian!

Originally Posted by ClsscLib
My achievement, such as it is, is attempting to sight read each piece all the way through, hands together, without utterly failing. I've always thought of myself as a truly terrible prima vista sight reader, but I surprised myself at how unbadly this went.

That's a huge achievement! Especially if you did that with anything written by Chopin :p. I did something similar last week (though not with Chopin), and it felt great!

Originally Posted by SwissMS
learned this piece without the attention to detail that I should have given it. So- back to very slow practice with the score, and slowly bumping up the tempo only with 100% accuracy.

That's not an un-achievement in my book. The achievement here is that you learned to apply the same process you apply so successfully to your "hard" repertoire to the "easy" things as well. It's the kind of achievement that will keep on giving in the future smile.

I found a piano-job at hotel during valentines.

Nice! That's huge! Can we have a live recording when you're done? smile

Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
It's not easy to teach someone, it's like sharing soul. Not everyone can do this.
Very admirable perspective...

Amen to that!

MY ATOW is just getting to the piano while feeling lousy.

You're a stronger woman than I am ... I hope you're feeling better now!

Originally Posted by brucepiano
Honestly, this week my biggest achievement was maintaining a regular practice schedule of at least 15 minutes or more. I'm hoping to increase it to 30 minutes in the near future.

I've noticed in the past month that once I manage to get into the swing of things, then I just want to keep going with regular practice every day. No more need to drag myself to the piano, or put on a timer to make sure I actually do practice for at least fifteen minutes, or even look at the clock at all. So keep it up, it will get progressively easier. At least, it does for me!

Originally Posted by Anita Potter
I now have both LH and RH memorized for Tambourin. Never thought I could get the LH memorized but I did that tonight.

The achievement here, I think, is that you've now learned how, when it comes to piano, few things are truly impossible!

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Verqueque, what a great opportunity to play and set the mood for others and yet not be the focus of attention. You embody the music.

8Octives, what repertoire did you perform for RCM level 6? I'm just launching my effort toward that goal so am working several choices and I have to dust off the theory books. SwissMS, am I correct in thinking ABRSM level 6 is a more difficult level than RCM 6 because they only have 8 levels? Don't get me wrong the exams are challenging at any level because it takes such attention to detail and the stress of being tested adds a different element. Supporting one another will be great. Although I can memorize anything in oral language, I'm not proficient at memorization of piano music. I've read books and tried a number of different techniques but it doesn't file in my brain the way I want it too. I go back to the sheet music and can play the piece with only an occasional glance so I'm thinking that my brain has included the page as part of the whole sequence of knowing the piece.

Last edited by WiseBuff; 01/31/15 08:59 AM.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
... SwissMS, am I correct in thinking ABRSM level 6 is a more difficult level than RCM 6 because they only have 8 levels? ...

I think ABRSM runs a grade or so higher, and they have some other differences. I am playing Bach "Sinfonia in G minor" which is grade 9 RCM, (which seems too high to me), Schumann Sonata in G Theme and Variations, which is rated grade 7 by RCM, and the other one is an arrangement of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" that is really nice. The other major difference is that scales and arpeggios (tonic and diminished 7th) are required in all keys, major, minor harmonic and melodic, plus a handful of contra scales and chromatics. That means a lot of time working on technical stuff. I only have to learn the three pieces, while for RCM you have five. So I guess each system has its challenges! I really like the Celebration Series Level 6 books. There are some really nice pieces in there!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

Still there is a purpose of being there, so I don't believe I should hide all the time, probably some Chopin Nocturnes and pieces by Debussy will be not too distracting. I hope so.

[quote=verqueue]
We just were at a Chopin concert and it was amazing -Alexandre Tharaud - and he played Fantasize in F min Op 49 - outstanding performance. He also played Nocturne E-flat Op9 no2 , very well known short piece. an lot of others of course , I just mention those two.
Later we were that last in for dinner in a hotel where they had a pianist playing. He was an older fellow , maybe Cuban, had tambourines, and bells set up around, and quite an impressive bank of audio equipment. His music was loud and lively for a bit, quite a contrast to our evening. But we were the last diners, and I bet he could have left and hour early if we hadn't shown up! Then he calmed down and just played around on the keys. One of the pieces was the Nocturne Op9 no2. He murdered it with his 'jazz' rendition but it was still pleasant to listen to. Then he got into some things - film music - that you could tell were his personal favourites - that was what got our applause and earned him a tip. We were the only ones there by then and I guess he felt he could play for himself a while at the end of the night.
What I mean to convey is, although you are being played to entertain in a pleasant way for people who are not really giving you their full attention, if you take time to play some things from your heart some of them will stop and appreciate your love of music. Not only will you feel great but you will make them feel good too! Enjoy Valentines!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Hi WiseBuff, I have only finished RCM Level 5 and am studying RCM Level 6 right now. It will be a while before I'll worry about which repertoire pieces to choose play but very likely the Schumann Waltz in A minor, op. 124, no. 4., a sonatina from either Kuhlau, or Clementi, and one Bach. Generally, I learn some 20 pieces for each level before I even think about the what to play at the exam. So much depends on how I feel about specific pieces, and I won't know until I've learned them. Also, my teacher has a good deal of input on what I should choose. At the moment my feeling is I won't be ready to take the exam until 2016.

Do you know the exam syllabus for RCM Level 6? The 3 repertoire pieces is only roughly about half the exam. You need to be very clear on the other half starting with 2 etudes, and technical elements.

According to ABRSM, RCM Level 9 can be substituted for ABRSM Grade 8 for fulfilling the pre-requisite of the ABRSM Diploma Exam, so I would say ABRSM Grade 6 would be similar to RCM Level 7.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Week 151: The new Ipad is a useful tool, though it also brings distractions. I scan in the sheet music for several songs at the local library, including When I Fall in Love. I like the digital format so much better than making paper copies. I am using a very basic app TinyScan and have to do manual page turns. I need to memorize anything that I am going to perform so it isn't a big downside. I try the Ipad video camera and could see using it to make piano videos.

I play around more with Garageband. Unfortunately, the keyboard sounds might be the weakest of their instruments. I enjoy the viola sound very much, so much easier than a real viola. I watch a couple of GarageBand tutorials on Youtube, but for the most part find it overwhelming.

A
A
@Saranoya It always seems impossible at the beginning. I think I have to stop thinking about the impossibilities and work towards the possibilities It might be less frustrating for me that way smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image] XXXVII-XXXIX

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Piano Playing since November 2014
Page 385 of 540 1 2 383 384 385 386 387 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission