Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
177 registered (A Guy, ajames, alexk3954, Almaviva, accordeur, 47 invisible), 1829 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2379591 - 01/29/15 11:57 AM Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions
Kerrrmit Offline

Hi everyone
First of all sorry for my english.
Im amateur pianist (autodidact), like to play classical music.
I'm most interested on Yamaha model CLP 535, but i can't find good review of this model. Only top (585, 575) and lowest (525) are most reviewed.
I am surprised that virtually there is no test of this model...no idea why.
Someone has experience playing on this instrument ? Can say something about it ?

Again sorry for english, hope you guys understand smile

Thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2379907 - 01/30/15 04:50 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
Hendrik42 Offline

Loc: Germany
When evaluating digital pianos, I visited a Yamaha retailer. Out of the CLP, the 535 would have been my choice.

Reasons:
It has technically a better action than the 525: it has three sensors per key, so that you can play a note again even if the key did not go fully up again. And it has the pressure-point thing.

Also, it has the Yamaha CFX samples AND is has Bösendorfer Imperial samples, which I liked a lot. The original Yamaha sound is not 100% my taste.

The speaker system should be better than the 525 in the bass area. Of course, the next better model has better sound system and wood in the keys.

Also, the 535 already has a display, much better to use than the 525 with voice feedback.

The 535 has MIDI in/out/through and Audio-In/Out, the 525 does not. Also, it takes USB Sticks to record what you play and transfer to PC/laptop, which is a must have for me.

So, if I would have gotten a Yamaha, it would have been the 535.

We then went for the Kawai CN-35 because of recommendations from a friend, nicer sound/voice and better price/performance (e.g. the CN-35 has better sound system than 535, all the features except Bösendorfer sounds, better action and still costs less). However, please note that in that price range, you can not do much wrong and need to see if you like the feel and sound.

#2379983 - 01/30/15 10:23 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
Kerrrmit Offline

Thanks Hendrik for opinion.

That's what I heard that Kawai has a better keyboard. But samples from CFX and Bösendorfer probably made me more convinced.

In total, I'm still not 100% determined. I think even on the Kawai C 15. Hard to choose smile

#2380525 - 01/31/15 02:56 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
Hendrik42 Offline

Loc: Germany
To correct my statement from above: the 535 has technically a better action than the 525, although its NOT about having three sensors, the 525 already had that. The 535 has GH3X, the 525 the previous generation GH3 (without X).

#2380568 - 01/31/15 04:54 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I think the X in GH3X stands for "escapement": the subtle notch in pressure at the bottom of the stroke, which acoustic makers try to minimize, and digital makers try to imitate... otherwise I believe it's the same as GH3.

#2380581 - 01/31/15 05:23 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
Frédéric L Online   content

Loc: France
I think like lolatu... I havn't seen Yamaha claim other thing about the GH3X.

I think the double escapement is a curious features; Steinway had introduced to make it possible to repeat notes more quickly and the notch is a side effect of the double escapement, not something done puposely. For quick notes, digital pianos have 3 sensors per key and the "escapement" notch doesn't help.

Just a question: does upright have pianos this notch, the last time I have played on, I do not remember that they have, but I havn't bring much attention.

#2380597 - 01/31/15 05:42 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Probably best if you evaluate all the features you need, like recording capabilities. Midi etc since this will also impact on other positive features being built in too. I tried the 535 and it was good. Couldn't distinguish from the 545 in the time I tried it, so if you don't need or want high powered speakers, save yourself some money!

""

#2380603 - 01/31/15 05:44 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Frédéric L]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Frédéric L
I think the double escapement is a curious features; Steinway had introduced to make it possible to repeat notes more quickly and the notch is a side effect of the double escapement, not something done puposely. For quick notes, digital pianos have 3 sensors per key and the "escapement" notch doesn't help.

Agree. It tends to get in the way when playing pp, and if the timing is not exactly correct then it can make the playing experience less, not more realistic. Anyway, it's no loss not to have it.

Quote:
Just a question: does upright have pianos this notch, the last time I have played on, I do not remember that they have, but I havn't bring much attention.

They do, but in all my years of playing acoustic uprights, I never noticed it. It's just not something important.

#2380662 - 01/31/15 07:44 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: lolatu]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Quote:
Quote:
Just a question: does upright have pianos this notch, the last time I have played on, I do not remember that they have, but I haven't bring much attention.

They do, but in all my years of playing acoustic uprights, I never noticed it. It's just not something important.

Do uprights have double escapement at all? I understood that they don't. Also, afaic remember, none of the uprights I've played had the escapement notch feel, whereas the grands did. But I can't be certain.

Edited by toddy (01/31/15 07:45 PM)

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2381056 - 02/01/15 07:42 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
mauricitoia Offline

Loc: Argentina
I went out to a few stores to compare pianos just yesterday and I mostly agree with Hendrik's comment. The speaker system in the CLP-535 sounds much better than the CLP-525, though I didn't notice much difference on headphones. Having Bösendorfer samples might be nice for some, it's kind of "meh" for me. I didn't notice much difference between the GH3X action (in the CLP-535) vs the GH3 action (CLP-525). Both actions seemed the same as my old CLP-240. In fact the CLP-525 seems just like the CLP-240 in every technical aspect.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I tried the Kawai CN25 and CN35 though. The sound in the CN25 seemed rather poor, but the CN35 was really solid and the action is excellent in both. I'm strongly considering one of these Kawais as my next digital piano.

FWIW I also tried some Rolands (IIRC the HP504 and HP506). The keys feel great but somehow the action didn't quite feel right, and the sound through headphones was absolutely abysmal, bass was far too loud and unnatural.

#2381251 - 02/02/15 08:54 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: mauricitoia]
Kerrrmit Offline

mauricitoia theres is no difference between 525 and 535 ? So why they put "X" on GH3... marketing stuff ? I'm confusing now smile

#2381260 - 02/02/15 09:23 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
leesan Offline

Originally Posted By: Kerrrmit
mauricitoia theres is no difference between 525 and 535 ? So why they put "X" on GH3... marketing stuff ? I'm confusing now smile

There is a difference. 525 doesn´t have escapment.

"The newly developed GH3X keyboard features an escapement mechanism that reproduces a slight clicking sensation near the bottom of the key travel. It has been designed in such a way that the click is discernible only on the lightest keystrokes, similar to the keyboard of a grand piano."

Not a "big deal" but.. it is different.

#2391635 - Today at 11:14 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
Kerrrmit Offline

Hello again
I just bought CLP 535 smile
I'm very excited. First of i need to "learn again" how to play piano, because after 2 years on yamaha 135 it feels totally different.
It's very easy to play something too loud or too soft.
Pedal works different. It will be hard to change habits, sometimes happen to cut my note or make little space between notes.
I just turn off reverb, but still reverberation (echo ?) work too much imo.
Maybe i need to better feel pedal but still it doesn't sound very good at this moment.

Anyway i have hardworking weekend to try to lern play better.

Sorry for my English smile

btw any tips how to play better ?

#2391673 - Today at 01:01 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Kerrrmit

Anyway i have hardworking weekend to try to lern play better.

Sorry for my English smile

btw any tips how to play better ?

Time and practice. Practice with intent, that means specific objectives in mind towards goals or targets. I do this latter, but still need a certain number of 'sleeps' for it to become effective, that's where the time comes in, not necessarily length of practice.

#2391688 - Today at 02:07 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ

The 'X' is for when you need that eXtra push over the cliff. The GH3X goes to 11.
!IMO!

#2391757 - 40 minutes 49 seconds ago Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
cub Online   content

Congratulations on your purchase Kerrrmit. I am a big fan of the Yamaha DP sound. I hope you enjoy your instrument and good luck with your journey to better piano playing!!
cub

#2391769 - 3 minutes 57 seconds ago Re: Yamaha CLP 535 - opinions [Re: Kerrrmit]
Johan B Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Hi everyone
First of all sorry for my english.
Im amateur pianist (autodidact), like to play classical music.
I'm most interested on Yamaha model CLP 535, but i can't find good review of this model. Only top (585, 575) and lowest (525) are most reviewed.
I am surprised that virtually there is no test of this model...no idea why.
Someone has experience playing on this instrument ? Can say something about it ?

Again sorry for english, hope you guys understand smile

Thanks

The Yamaha clp535 is a good dp! I played the clp320 daily for five years. I was very happy with it. I played in a store the 535..... It's a nice one. Yamaha in this price-range is good for basic pianoplaying, from Bach to Gershwin.

I sold my clp320 in january and I was convinced to purchase the clp575..... a very nice dp!

At the end I decided to purchase a Kawai CA95sb. It's in my study since 31 january.

When you buy a clp535, you will love it.......good luck.

Best regards,
Johan B

My two mottos:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
The February 2015 Issue of our Free Piano News Newsletter is out now! FREE Piano Newsletter
--------------------
The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
(ad) Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Online Lessons
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Guess when this was written
by chopin_r_us
02/27/15 02:52 PM
Price for Yamaha GC1
by ppuff211
02/27/15 02:29 PM
Harmony arrangements
by acros
02/27/15 12:38 PM
Seiler ED 186
by Haydn 20
02/27/15 12:31 PM
How much my piano costs? From 1860's
by Chuck22
02/27/15 12:12 PM
Forum Stats
78,322 Registered Members
43 Forums
161,887 Topics
2,377,546 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission