2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
OP Offline
D
[Linked Image]

vs

[Linked Image]

vs

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DeadPoets; 01/29/15 08:05 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm no expert but I think you look too slouchy:
1. You are sitting much too close to the piano.
2. You should be sitting on the forward 1/3 of the chair, not all the way back. Push the chair back.
3. You should not be leaning against the back of the chair. Your back should be straight and self supported.
4. You chest should be higher with your shoulders less slumped.

Best regards,

Deborah
D
OP Offline
D
I agree in theory with what you say... but when I try sitting with no back support my lower back gets ripped up and quickly.

I've learned how to use sitz bones, etc but it was no real help. Back support has been the only way I can play.

I'm 5'11 140 lbs so I don't have much meat on these bones. Any sort of extreme sitting position (like straight up) for too long kills me.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
For starters you're too close to the piano, so your elbows are too far back, which limits the leverage you can get from your arms.

Your posture is not a train wreck, but you should get a good teacher.

YAMAHA Artist
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by DeadPoets

I'm 5'11 140 lbs so I don't have much meat on these bones. Any sort of extreme sitting position (like straight up) for too long kills me.

Methinks you should work on your core stability muscles, so that you can sit further back and give yourself more arm - and leg - room, without getting fatigued with maintaining your posture.

Strength training does wonders. Even if you've developed a slouching sort of posture with rounded shoulders from long hours at the computer, it can be corrected.

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by DeadPoets

Methinks you should work on your core stability muscles, so that you can sit further back and give yourself more arm - and leg - room, without getting fatigued with maintaining your posture.

Strength training does wonders. Even if you've developed a slouching sort of posture with rounded shoulders from long hours at the computer, it can be corrected.

Thanks & I do agree with this. Unfortunately I battle a chronic illness and exercising & putting on weight/muscle is practically impossible for me.

So I just try my best to "get by" any way possible so I can practice 45 minutes a day 5-6 x's a week.

Last edited by DeadPoets; 01/29/15 07:47 PM.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
A teacher might help or not. Because obviously in your case it's not about a young fit person who can simply correct the posture by will. Piano teachers are not physiotherapists. You really need to get one or work on this yourself and gradually. I talk from experience.

Despite what people seem to think rounded shoulders cannot be completely corrected in many cases according to my phycisist. It depends on the age and one's body structure and how the muscles are attached. And it definitely cannot be forced, but has to come naturally, otherwise there will be even more tension. But rounded shoulders are not necessary a big problem if you can free your arms while playing.

Trying to straighten you upper back or keep the shoulders back deliberately is not an answer! It can cause really bad tension. The answer is to strengthen the muscles on the abdomen, butt and the lower back which will eventually let the upper back be relaxed but less hunched. And not everyone has similar structure, some people naturally have a more curved back.

As for the back: I have a structural defect which makes my lower back a big issue. Leaning back for support is not an answer, you just cannot learn to play properly like that. Yes, you should work on your core strength and exercise away from the piano to have better posture, but I understand your limitations. Maybe try to exercise just a little bit and start slowly. I would just start sitting much further away, even lean forward a bit too much if necessary (a habit you may need to work on later) to prevent the pain in the back. Just play as long as you can and stop when it gets too painful. Get an adjustable good padded bench (it really is a must!) and experiement with different heights. What I have learned is that depending on the state of my back I need to change the height, so I am not always sitting on the same height.

And a tip: Get a comfortable back support belt to use while playing! During difficult times this has enabled me to practice for longer periods.

Last edited by outo; 01/30/15 01:30 AM.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I do daily yoga geared towards straightening the neck, squaring the shoulders and releasing the pelvis - all done at my own pace.

Laissez tomber les mains
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by outo
A teacher might help or not. Because obviously in your case it's not about a young fit person who can simply correct the posture by will. Piano teachers are not physiotherapists. You really need to get one or work on this yourself and gradually. I talk from experience.

Despite what people seem to think rounded shoulders cannot be completely corrected in many cases according to my phycisist. It depends on the age and one's body structure and how the muscles are attached. And it definitely cannot be forced, but has to come naturally, otherwise there will be even more tension. But rounded shoulders are not necessary a big problem if you can free your arms while playing.

Trying to straighten you upper back or keep the shoulders back deliberately is not an answer! It can cause really bad tension. The answer is to strengthen the muscles on the abdomen, butt and the lower back which will eventually let the upper back be relaxed but less hunched. And not everyone has similar structure, some people naturally have a more curved back.

As for the back: I have a structural defect which makes my lower back a big issue. Leaning back for support is not an answer, you just cannot learn to play properly like that. Yes, you should work on your core strength and exercise away from the piano to have better posture, but I understand your limitations. Maybe try to exercise just a little bit and start slowly. I would just start sitting much further away, even lean forward a bit too much if necessary (a habit you may need to work on later) to prevent the pain in the back. Just play as long as you can and stop when it gets too painful. Get an adjustable good padded bench (it really is a must!) and experiement with different heights. What I have learned is that depending on the state of my back I need to change the height, so I am not always sitting on the same height.

And a tip: Get a comfortable back support belt to use while playing! During difficult times this has enabled me to practice for longer periods.

Great advice all the way around. Thank you.

I think moving the chair back a little is the most important change you should consider. Because of your back problem it seems like not leaning back in the chair is not a possible change at present. I don't think your posture is poor at all.

Although the ramrod straight back and leaning slightly forward a la Horowitz seems to be the most popular among professionals there are some very good pianists that actually lean back in the chair or have hunched shoulders.
Frederic Chiu is fantastic and leans back as does Radu Lupu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3nUvzApF2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR6z1hzhVD0

Daniil Trifonov often plays hunched over the keyboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIEqFuwUbwU&index=2&list=PL3AA5590654A5962D

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/30/15 12:22 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Radu Lupu has had chronic back pain these last 40 years. He uses the chair back to avoid it, so he's not necessarily a good example to emulate.

Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Radu Lupu has had chronic back pain these last 40 years. He uses the chair back to avoid it, so he's not necessarily a good example to emulate.
The OP has back pain also.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
All the more reason not to emulate Lupu, don't you think?

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think moving the chair back a little is the most important change you should consider. Because of your back problem it seems like not leaning back in the chair is not a possible change at present. I don't think your posture is poor at all.

Although the ramrod straight back and leaning slightly forward a la Horowitz seems to be the most popular among professionals there are some very good pianists that actually lean back in the chair or have hunched shoulders.
Frederic Chiu is fantastic and leans back as does Radu Lupu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3nUvzApF2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR6z1hzhVD0

Daniil Trifonov often plays hunched over the keyboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIEqFuwUbwU&index=2&list=PL3AA5590654A5962D

That's nice to see - Interesting how far Frederic's chair leans back. And also how far he is from the piano (as most of you have pointed out). I will definitely give that a try... I can see I need to move back.

I just hope it doesn't pull on those wires back there wink

I've also read somewhere that people with rounded shoulders tend to have tight chest and anterior delt muscles which pulls everything forward. As a result the upper back muscles tend to be loose/lengthened/weak.

Makes sense to me. Also makes sense why stretching certain muscle groups isn't always a good thing. Someone suggested I use a foam roller or get deep tissue massage on my traps, chest, and shoulders. And then do as a few of you have mentioned and strengthen the upper back.

Oh who would've thunk piano could be such a physically draining activity!! lol
I've been playing guitar for 13 years with zero issues.

If Lupu uses the chair with the back to help him with his back pain, I think that's a good reason for the OP to do the same thing.

D
OP Offline
D
Back support is a must for me so it's all about finding a way to sit up straight, with back support, and with the right distance from the keys.

When I play around with it and find what works I will be sure to update this thread and post a new picture.

I ordered a lumbar support thingy for my chair and am going to see how that feels and am hoping I can sit up straight while using it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

If Lupu uses the chair with the back to help him with his back pain, I think that's a good reason for the OP to do the same thing.

I'm not sure it helps. That's my concern.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Slightly off topic, but a group of us attending the Summer Piano Academy in Victoria. B.C. all went out to a Japanese restaurant for dinner. Many tables had seats with cushions but no backs. When I looked around, people at other tables were slouching, squirming, leaning, hunching and looking quite uncomfortable. I was amused to see everyone at our table, (all pianists) were sitting ramrod straight, completely relaxed and unaware of their beautiful posture.

Best regards,

Deborah
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by gooddog
Slightly off topic, but a group of us attending the Summer Piano Academy in Victoria. B.C. all went out to a Japanese restaurant for dinner. Many tables had seats with cushions but no backs. When I looked around, people at other tables were slouching, squirming, leaning, hunching and looking quite uncomfortable. I was amused to see everyone at our table, (all pianists) were sitting ramrod straight, completely relaxed and unaware of their beautiful posture.

Nor were we uncomfortable, were we? smile

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by gooddog

Nor were we uncomfortable, were we? smile

Cheers!

No, we were not! thumb

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission