2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Wow! You folks are deep. Is all this going on in her head as my tech tunes my piano?

Laissez tomber les mains
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Wow! You folks are deep. Is all this going on in her head as my tech tunes my piano?

I don't know, I don't understand how some tuners can carry on a conversation while they are tuning. But then, I don't see myself as a multitasker. All my attention is needed for tuning when I am tuning.

Similarly, I took a complete break from writing this to have a conversation with a friend.

Others may have more flexible abilities.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I agree Jim and RXD.. I'm glad for the courage it took to post this.. the more opinions, the better.

As a scientifically-based person myself, I see complete unity between the knowledge of science and that-of-which-we-do-not-know. Science is simply what we have been able to quantify; art is what is still beyond our understanding.

Unfortunately, science has tended to overstep its cultural bounds lately, and has almost become a new form of religion (anyone who dares dispute the science is almost treated as a heretic). It's a convenient parallel that those who are powerful and rich have access to the best science and equipment (so therefore must be right).

However, anyone who is truly scientifically-minded, knows that this is the opposite of science. The primary tenet of science is just seeing and observing.. not manipulating outcomes, or claiming and bullying.

I observe many unexplainable things while tuning as well.. I structure one of my temperament sequences around an idealized octave, which has to do with the whole tone, and no specific partial alignment, etc.

Multitasking at this level of tuning is impossible. I would suggest that those who can multitask while tuning, are not engaging their mind at all at this level while tuning.

www.tunewerk.com

Unity of tone through applied research.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for chiming in Tunewerk!

I completely agree with you regarding mathematical analysis overstepping the bounds of what is known. All statistical models in a system this complex and in systems which vary from piano to piano have to be incomplete...not only incomplete, but then you have to add the psychoacoustic component...geez...

The statistical constructs are useful...no doubt about it, but at some point one needs to remember the whole point of the exercise. That is, at least for me, the point is, sensual pleasure. If you can't feel it, it doesn't matter then does it. The final arbiter is the way the tuned interval(s) feel not whether the intervals conform to a pre-determined mathematical plan. Not to mention that the mathematical models are fudging their way the whole way along anyway.

It always happens, in every discipline...the pedagogy developed to achieve an end, swallows the goal. Well...not in my world...if I can't feel it, then I'd rather be selling life insurance(ughh). But I can, in fact, feel it...thank goodness.

ji

Jim Ialeggio
www.grandpianosolutions.com
advanced soundboard and action redesigns
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Maybe this story should go in the other thread, but it seems right to put it here:

I was closing in on completing a tuning this afternoon. The customer asked, "How do you know it's right?" I said, "When it sounds beautiful to me."

smile

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I can listen to people talk while I tune and follow both things. It does slow me a little. But when I talk no tuning can occur. I can "feel" that the speech area and the musical sound area are separate in our brains.

I don't find much conflict from understanding how all the partials intersect and just feeling my way around. The two co-exist in my mind very comfortably. Having access to partial matches that rapidly resolve a notes pitch from the sharp and the flat side just lets me go faster.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice post Ed. I can very much relate to it.

I have to say that this thread very much effected how I tuned today!

My first tuning just so happened to be a really nice Bösendorfer 200 (6'6") that has wonderful sustain, really clean tone, and very controllable pins (open pinblock). I always lose myself to some extent when tuning this piano and 2 hours of tuning feels like about 30 minutes. The piano was right up to pitch and the tuning was actually decent when I started. Perfect opportunity to "tune to the max".

Since this thread was still echoing in my head a little, I found myself slowing down and listening more. I was in a mood to tune only aurally and it was a great piano to "swim" in.

The second and third pianos were both Yamaha uprights, also with very clean tone and very controllable pins.

There is no magic to my ideal tuning. I like how perfect 12ths work out in the middle of the piano, but I'm also always checking octaves, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths, 10ths, 17ths, double octave and even triple octaves. I find that, in general perfect 12ths push the single octaves to just a very slight roll in the single octave at the 2:1 and cleans things up a bit at the higher 4:2/6:3 levels as I move into the 5th and 6th octaves.

Somewhere in the middle of the 7th octave I begin to listen more for the sympathetic resonance in the octave. There is a fairly small window where the resonance shows up - a little to sharp or flat and the tone dies a little. So I tried to leave the notes as sharp as I could without losing the resonance.

I still can't relate to the difficulty in describing one's tuning style and the need to rely on what sound to me like vague abstractions. Today, when reflecting on this thread, I found myself wondering if some of the original posts made by RXD and Jim are just describing what a really good tuning sounds like. Maybe Jim has a bit of synesthesia that causes him to react on a more physical level when he finds the best place for a string?

However, I don't believe a "visceral reaction" is necessary to master fine tuning of a piano. An intellectual knowledge of tuning combined with open ears and and open mind, plus good hammer technique can get you there without delving into the mysticism of it all.

This thread has seemed to me to be a bit like a tuner's version of "The Emperor's New Clothes." In this case, only a tuner with the profound hearing/listening abilities can appreciate the truly extraordinary tone that comes from this special tuning. If you are foolish enough to try to measure this tuning or describe it in concrete terms it just proves that you are too closed minded to appreciate it.

That being said, it has still been an interesting thread, and it did indeed have a positive effect on my day! smile

This webpage seemed relevant somehow:
http://listverse.com/2014/05/14/10-simple-things-that-are-deceptively-complex/

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
One of life's philosophers said to consider birds, (surely the ultimate freedom)
they don't sow seeds, nor reap them.
Well, of course they do.
They eat berries and scatter the seeds far and wide. Some lands on fertile ground some lands on the top of my car, creating work for me. (creating work for others has a funny ol' way of coming full circle).
They just don't know they're doing it.
They don't need to know and they're gonna do it anyway.
Most importantly, they do it in a way that's effortless and natural that feels good to them.

Similarly with partials. A tuner is matching and deliberately mismatching partials all day long. It is not necessary to know which partials or even that they are called partials, they can't be ignored whatever they are. This cloud of unknowing does not make partials inaudible. It does not preclude any of the standard tests in any way. Use of the standard tests means that we are, ultimately, tuning intervals.

I'm thinking bass octaves particularly, here but, of course, all the other intervals, internal and external, that they influence throughout the whole piano have to be taken into account.

Not knowing encourages listening to the most readily heard partials. Knowing seems to encourage using almost inaudible partials to tune for no real reason other than that we can. How upside down is this??? Like politicians, who always deal with the irrational bits in the title of a paper, we fool ourselves and others and call it advanced tuning.

The finer my tuning gets, I feel I'm reverting to primitivism. It couldn't be simpler. I'm listening to the whole sound as my whole being receives it. The louder thingies are more prominent and they have to be reconciled together, as a whole.
Yes, I smooth out the louder mismatched partials because they sound out of tune to almost anybody. But not in the same way a slavishly operated ETD does it. I don't meticulously match only one partial and let the rest, which may include partials which are louder, fall where they may, that is but one reason why I find it impossible to use an ETD, particularly in the lower octaves.

Are all our silly tuning precepts based on having to tune silly pianos?. We have a few generations now of tuners whose staple diet was cheap spinets and tha subterfuges necessary ti tune them have taken prominence so that now that larger pianos are the norm, those unnatural tuning precepts still prevail.

Nomadic tribal patriarchs made up all kinds of stories to dissuade their offspring from planting and reaping. Plant a garden and you begin to cease to be nomadic. You lose the ultimate human freedom.
Start to slavishly use an STD or be an aural tuner who tunes like one, and we cease to hear the big picture. We are concentrating on only one little corner of the screen. We cease to hear pianos like other people. Diametrically opposed to the way musicians are trained.
Who are we tuning for??

Amanda Reckonwith
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I do not match partials. I tune intervals.

(I also do not use an STD. My wife would not like me to have one!)

Semipro Tech
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ryan,

I'm glad you are open enough to think about the ideas we discussed.

In presenting a way of approaching a tuning that is different than what usually presented, overstatement has a tendency to creep in. I did not mean to suggest that logical analyses has no place in tuning, and I do not proceed that way either. I did say, I think, that the analyses gets me close, but I then I rely on the other sense to hone in on the spot that will result in quiet compass wide octave/fifth combinations.

I work the spread sheets in my rebuilding work, designing them as well, I fully respect the utility of statistical devices...trend analysis in soundboard design, geometrical analysis using autocad in some action re-design...and some version of analysis in tuning. I say some version of analysis in tuning because working whole unsions is reading more than single partials. In all cases, The analyses help me hone in on my target, ie quantify parameters, rather than flying blind the whole way through. However, in all cases if I rely on the incomplete analytical models without paying attention to the "blink" phenomenon, a whole brain intuited solution at some point in the proceedings, the result can crash big time, because the models are incomplete.

I have mentioned that I'm a hybrid tuner. I use Stopper's program as an aid. I play the software and ear off each other. Sometimes I'm using it as a check, sometimes to quickly see if a previous unison has drifted, often to help with stability, as the display is unforgiving. On one-off pianos with poorly mated strings, I rely it it way more than on prepped pianos. I often use it to question my placement by "sound" as I described previously, and I use it to train my ear what the "sound" I'm looking for is, as I am still training myself what the "sound" is...meaning what I described is not an infallible sense, and it is a sense I am actively honing..in process. This aspect of the ability to misread the "feeling" could, I'm sure be frightening to some...but being a creative type, boo-boos have no emotional content to me...I consider mistakes to be friends.

While the software is working to an analytical algorithm, it is an algorithm I relate to musically. However, whatever he's doing there, he has been clear that the program is not matching partials. He has chosen to remain silent on what its reading, but unless I understood it incorrectly, partials are not read in the algorithm.

I do not use the software for unisons as Stopper suggests, as my ear finds the spot, the "feeling" I'm looking for much quicker than the visual display allows me to. My goal is to be as sure footed, in that style of listening, with the octaves as I am with the unison. Its a work in progress.

The overstatement happens because the "sense" that I described is so roundly vilified and dismissed as antithetical to rational analysis. My point here, is that the two, the rational and the non-linear are complimentary aspects of the same thing, as Ed mentioned. Dismiss either and one misses the fullness of the experience. In the case of tuning by partial analysis only...I can hear it instantly when sitting down to play, and I will not spend any time with that piano in that state...its no fun, and I find it unmusical. Almost always the compass is divided up into separate consonant zones. The entire compass, the whole instrument, is missing. On the other hand, non-linear only, or said another way, the creative brain alone, without some organizing entity, runs the risk of running aground. The two need to work together.

ji

Last edited by jim ialeggio; 02/03/15 01:58 AM.

Jim Ialeggio
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by BDB
I do not match partials. I tune intervals.

(I also do not use an STD. My wife would not like me to have one!)

My autocorrect did that so I left it in.
Thank you for noticing it and commenting.

Makes it all worthwhile. Somehow.

Amanda Reckonwith

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jim ialeggio
This tread/post responding to Ryan’s question in Andy's thread,about what I heard in the what I called the “stretch” David Andersen demonstrated…

First...stretch is really to confined a term for what I heard in his tuning. Its more than that. Its a visceral quality of sound.

How David gets to the sound he creates is something he describes in various venues, quite well himself. I won’t speak for him. I relate to the sound he created, but get there in my own way…I am indebted to David because he showed me that the sound I was starting to doubt, actually existed.

I usually don’t participate in the fine aural tuning descriptions on the forum…and frankly mostly keep what I’m doing, or rather what I’m trying to teach myself to do, to myself.

The reason:

It’s non-verbal…it is outside the accepted pedagogical descriptions mostly employed to teach aural skills. It is non-verbal…purposely so…whole brain…whole ear...inextricably tied to my musician’s ear, and tied to my ear as a singer. Actually, as a singer, its an experience of whole body resonance. (I think singers will find it easier to relate to this sense than non-singers or non-wind players. The nicest tunings I hear come from singers and wind players).

What I heard in that initial encounter was a quality of sound. It appears in singing unisons first, then as octaves, multi-octaves, fifths and multi-fifths. It is much easier to hear in decent instruments with well mated unisons, and probably appears in noisier intervals, but I’m not there yet .

When the unison is there, I could break it down as Isaac has tried, to say the 1st partial appears… But frankly whenever I approach it that way, going in to the analytical brain, I miss the mark. The 1st partial appears in a large bandwidth, relatively speaking. Instead, I look for the unison to lock-in where the unison is quite still, but given a decent piano, it shimmers...still, shimmering, elicits a visceral physical reaction. In my case the sound of the locked in unison puts me at ease…That’s how I know I hit it.

Octaves…the same sensation…when the 2 octave unisons, or the lower unison and the upper 1st string(middle) lock in, the sound blooms with a visceral dimension that is missing otherwise. Very similar to the effect the unison creates

I tried many ways, in years past, when directing choirs, to figure out how to get the choir to understand this way of evaluating the consonance I’m speaking of. The only thing that really works, is for them to create the sound and experience how an entire room begins to vibrate for themselves. When it happens, it blows their minds.

I use octave, octave-fifth, multi octave and multi octave-fifths to find the relatively quiet zone, where they all are relatively quiet. I use Stopper’s still point triads. I use Stopper’s software, playing my ear, the tests mentioned and the program as a team.

In thinking about how to clumsily communicate this, instead of looking for comparisons to make, partial or otherwise, that is, instead of looking for activity, I look for absence of quantifiable activity. Instead, I look for a shimmer, fullness, which is quite active, but not active with obvious, musically perceptible beats.

Sound like Virgil??? Virgil tried to explain what he was doing with the language of science…but it didn’t work well. Using the wrong language just makes a powerful sensation seem like the rantings of a yahoo…so I avoid talking about it, since its non-verbal anyway.

There, put that in your pipe and smoke it. The sensation, aural and visceral, is why I am a musician and tech, but it, as a sensation, is not a particularly handy pedagogical technique to communicate…neither does it lend itself to competency metrics. But to me, it is real and essential. It exists.

Jim Ialeggio

Hi Jim,

As you say, "it" may be non-verbal, depending also on how you do or do not understand words, or it may well be verbal, depending also on the words being used.

No doubt, there is (IMO) something non-rational that takes place at some stage, given certain circumstances, like for other disciplines... You strive for a result and one day, perhaps after a good rest, you get it. Our brains will have sorted it out for us, and we won't know how, nor why precisely at that time. I believe that once it happens, we can well rationalize, and perhaps this is crucial in order to be able to replicate our performance, perhaps improving it to the next level?

I would like to hear (to make it better non-verbal) what you are describing, can you provide a recording?

Regards, a.c.

alfredo
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
It is gratifying to notice the enthusiasm for this departure from the usual.
Thee is also a bit of incredulity. Most tuners don't get much peer review of their work, nor are there many broadcast examples of what is being discussed here.
Most broadcast pianos are ordinary but I can cite the tuning on the old "prairie home companion" shows, the ones from St. Paul. Throughout the '70's, 80's and 90's. Consistently exemplary tunings.
We get repeats here and the tunings now that the show is on the road have been ordinary to bad. One of the reasons is the mix of diffidence and arrogance of the tuners. One of the forums run by the PTG has questions from members about to tune for that show wondering what Rich Dwarsky is like to work for, not realising he will be off somewhere grabbing a bite to eat while the piano is being tuned and, with a show to put together, the last thing he wants is an insecure tuner hanging around. They'll probably never even see him if they do a professional job. Tha arrogant part is posts from tuners who don't understand the need for three tunings on production day. This also shows a lack of experience.

The acuity of hearing (more accurate to say the acuity of listening) is not of a different order but the attention to detail is. Nobody can listen any harder than they can but everybody can listen longer.

Thinking about acuity of hearing, does anybody remember Jack Sprinkle? I spent a lot of time with him at national conventions when we were both delegates. His hearing was of a whole different order. He taught me a lot by just being Jack.
I was taking him to his hotel room. We were conversing as we were walking down a corridor when he pushed my elbow towards his door. I asked him (he being blind), how he knew and he could hear the echo from the end of the corridor. The end of the carpeted corridor was entirely covered by a thick velvet curtain.

On my way back to my own room, I attempted to listen for any echo in my own Similar corridor. I eventually found that I could. It's just that nobody had pointed it out to me before.
You never know until you try.

One way is to use your personal piano or one that's constantly available. Tune it then go back and examine it four hours later with the intention of refining it. At first you may find nothing but keep listening longer. I can guarantee that you'll begin to spot areas of improvement.

Amanda Reckonwith

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rXd

On my way back to my own room, I attempted to listen for any echo in my own Similar corridor. I eventually found that I could. It's just that nobody had pointed it out to me before.
You never know until you try.

This is an excellent and, frankly should be an obvious point regarding hearing an aural dimension that is available to all. However, in this type of discussion the credibility of this acquired accuity is accepted in the case of a blind person, yet is considered to be an indication of questionable sanity, or pie-in-the-sky mysticism, in our field,.

Why the credibility on one hand but the resistance from folks who hear for a living? It makes no sense, unless the existence of this dimension threatens ones belief systems. If it does threaten belief systems, I would suggest that it does not invalidate the existing constructs. Rather, it only suggests the existing model's relativity. Understood this way, I can understand the reticence...But this model is complimentary not exclusive.

As I said, I knew the sound we are discussing existed since I was 15,but bumped unsuccessfully down many blind alleys, trying to find it. Once found though, there is enough there to keep me "in process" for the rest of my life...out of the sheer pleasure of the chase and of the experience. Sounds like rXd is highly motivated by this pleasure, even though he has been tuning eons longer than I.

Last edited by jim ialeggio; 02/04/15 03:32 PM.

Jim Ialeggio
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks, Jim.
I came across a quote from Oscar Wilde this morning.
"Education is an admirable thing but it is well to remember that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught".
Oscar was known for his flippancy but there was always an essential grain of truth in his humor.

Amanda Reckonwith

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

Thanks rXd,

As regards teaching, I quite like this one too, from George Bernard Shaw:

"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance."

About verbal-non-verbal, it comes to mind a Japanese bow (Yumi) master craftsman, for the first three years he would allow the novice to watch. What do you (All) think, good or bad?

Cheers

alfredo
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by alfredo capurso

Thanks rXd,

As regards teaching, I quite like this one too, from George Bernard Shaw:

"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance."

About verbal-non-verbal, it comes to mind a Japanese bow (Yumi) master craftsman, for the first three years he would allow the novice to watch. What do you (All) think, good or bad?

Cheers

And the classic "not-answer" would be

æ—  Or ç„¡.

Very apt "not-question" for this discussion. Thank you, Alfredo.

Only three years to rid oneself of the spinning mind? (the mind cluttered with thoughts as mentioned in my earlier post, also called the "monkey mind").

Amanda Reckonwith

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

Hi,

There we are again, u see? An octave was stretched too much :-) and Jeff's thread has been shut down.

Ah, lucky us, what would it be otherwise? It might get nastier, perhaps like on a ring, you know, when boxer get carried away?

Better to know when, and what the best measures are, like us, better to anticipate what would happen, so posters never clarify the one question publicly to the very end. Perhaps like tuners, with random inharmonicity and.. "true" ET.

Hi Ian,

You are right, one of my aversions is for clichés, like Roger Rabit with that tune.. I cannot resist :-)

Kind regards, a.c.

alfredo
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Alfredo, yes an apt metaphor.

Closing a thread often has interesting consequences

That doomed thread had the air of a metaphor from the beginning. I'm thankful it was done with a separate thread and not in the thread that prompted it.

The time of the beginning of a closed thread is a clue to what triggered it.
I have observed, in general, that any hidden agenda usually comes to light somewhere in the immediately subsequent posts of the principal player (if they weren't banned) after the thread is closed. .

Amanda Reckonwith

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

Hidden agenda?

Hmm ... I see, subtle and intriguing. Now that I think about it, could it be the upcoming opening of a tea and coffee hypocrisy-bar, where old clunkers with three watches can freely go poppycock?

Oh well, here in London is warm and shiny.

To All,

Have a nice Sunday.

alfredo
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission