2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by TheodorN

Still, if anyone wants to walk the syncing walk, here is a good video explaining that. According to it, the reason audio and video drift out of sync, is that the video recording device and the audio source, record audio in different frequencies, most often 44 KHz versus 48 KHz, I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8wan7tZu_I

I might add, that in my last few piano videos, on my YouTube channel, there is no drifting out of sync, whatsoever. At least I haven't noticed it. Though I know my web camera records in 48 KHz, while the piano records in 44. I will possibly change settings to have the same audio frequency in both sources.

As everyone knows, I'm a total Luddite wink , but I bought a Zoom H4n recorder some months ago to make some piano recordings to synch with the video from my Panasonic TZ-40 camera (whose stereo mics pick up too much extraneous noise, and smooths out all the dynamics because of its automatic recording level).

Once uploaded into my MacBook Pro, it was easy to bring them both together in iMovie, 'delete' the sound from the video (i.e. turn it down to zero) and substitute the sound from the H4n, aligning the two tracks on the screen to synch them perfectly. Even in a long fifteen-minute piece, the synch from beginning to end remains perfect, with no 'drifting' whatsoever.

So, I don't understand how the sound and video can drift out of synch, once they're perfectly aligned at the start - surely the timing for both is entirely electronically controlled in digital recordings, and therefore cannot slow down/speed up along the way?

If music be the food of love, play on!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Bennevis, we posted about the same minute, your experience you just shared reflects my own, except my videos are not nearly that long.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
S
S

Still, if anyone wants to walk the syncing walk, here is a good video explaining that. According to it, the reason audio and video drift out of sync, is that the video recording device and the audio source, record audio in different frequencies, most often 44 KHz versus 48 KHz, I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8wan7tZu_I

That's a pretty good video, I think. One thing to clarify, however, if I may do so without heading too far OT. The presenter in that video either misunderstands or over-simplifies the sample rate thing. There's nothing inherently problematic about recording audio at a different sample rate than your video camera uses, *provided* that the editing software correctly conforms the audio during import. You may have to investigate or change some sequence settings to make sure the imported audio is treated correctly, if its sample rate is different from the sequence defaults.

The audio drift thing will rear its head if, for example, the editing software treats a 44.1 kHz audio clip as if it had been recorded at 48 kHz. It is probably simpler just to use the same sample rate everywhere in the workflow if you can, but it isn't a requirement.

Cheers,

B.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
MacMacMac, I'm not sure I understand the setup you're thinking of. Are you talking about AUX/LINE OUT on the piano - into Presonus - then into your computer, for the audio, and simultaneously recording the video with your webcam? Is such a setup possible without it resulting in two files, one audio file and one video file?

Griffin2417, you're welcome, hope you can work it out to your liking.

S
S
Originally Posted by bennevis
I don't understand how the sound and video can drift out of synch, once they're perfectly aligned at the start - surely the timing for both is entirely electronically controlled in digital recordings, and therefore cannot slow down/speed up along the way?

When you record sound and picture separately, the clock signals for each recording device will be different. They may be highly accurate, but they are not synchronized with one another. Depending on the application, the difference may or may not cause a perceptible discrepancy in sync when you marry the resulting audio and video clips in an editing program.

Modern digital recorders like DSLR video cameras and Zoom audio recorders have highly accurate clocks. The drift between them may be as little as a couple of frames per hour. In lots of applications, the errors are small enough to disregard. If your entire program is fifteen minutes long, you'll never notice a difference. Over the length of a two-hour concert, it might get to be a problem.

Other kinds of sync problems with double-system sound on digital recorders can be caused, essentially, by software: machine settings being inconsistent (see the stuff about sample rates supra); compression software behaving unexpectedly; editing programs having mysterious default settings; et cetera.

All else equal, modern digital devices like the Zoom recorders should behave well in the applications that PW members are generally using them for, but double-system recording has certain pitfalls, so you want to make sure you are doing it for a good reason.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
To answer you (MacMacMac) I don't know if it's possible to merge audio and video into one file, which is needed if you want to avoid having to sync up. If such a solution exists, I would very much like to know about it myself. cool

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
I can't understand how it could not be possible. My webcam captures both audio and video, and I can record it. (I don't, but there's software for that.)

So why can't I just tell that software to use another audio device instead of the cheapo webcam mic?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have a Logitech web camera, and therefore probably the same software. In the settings for Mic, I can choose another microphone as the source for audio, if I have one (which I don't as I have my camera set up on a desktop computer.)

I say, simply try it, your Presonus should identify itself on your computer, and appear as an option which can be selected, in the list of microphones available in the Logitech webcam software (the Controls box.)

Last edited by TheodorN; 01/31/15 09:54 AM.

Me on YouTube

M
M
my suggestion is Sony Vegas.

and recording at 48 kHz.

recording at 48 kHz, and the fact that Sony Vegas let me slice video frames into small sections (hundredths of a second, methinks), lets me sync external audio (recorded with better equipment), with the video.
you just line up the audio waveforms, and sync them up by eye and ear.

it's been a few years since I bought Sony Vegas.
I think it cost $100. which is to say, that I did not need the features that come with the more expensive editions.
I did have some trouble with some pixelation and artifacts.
but really not too bad. the trouble could have been partly from not strong enough computer. also, things improved when I got a Sony videocamera.
all that said, for the most part, it worked very well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission