Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds
Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds with Emphasis on the Piano
Learn More

or
Buy This Book on Amazon.com
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Pianoteq
Who's Online
141 registered (ando, Amir, Anne H, 36251, A Guy, 43 invisible), 1475 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2380657 - Yesterday at 07:34 PM Kawai - Keyboard Metronomes... the good the bad and the ugly
OneWatt Online   content

Loc: Mountain Time, USA
To avoid hijacking Markarian's post about his MP11 piano sounds any further, I'll start a fresh topic on Kawai digital keyboard metronome issues.

My goal here is not to trash-talk the Kawais (hey, I'm a BIG fan of my MP7), but to see if there are some "odd" behaviors and/or usage tips that might make them more functional for those of us who are generally happy Kawai owners out here if we understood them better.

[If you're into using your metronome with a Kawai board, read on. If not, this topic will most surely bore you miserably.]

==================

Ok, I'll jump in with respect to the MP7's metronome behavior, at least as it appears to operate in the recent firmware v1.10 release.

Having been confused by its behavior, this is what I've figured out thus far...

Changing voices has produced a stream of surprises for me with respect to the metronome's behavior. Turns out, you get different outcomes depending on whether the metronome is running or not at the time you change voices and whether you select a different SOUND vs SETUP button.

If you RUN the metronome at a particular speed (and either basic click or a drum rhythm selection is in effect) WHILE you select a different SOUND or SETUP button, there will not be any change to the timing IF THE CURRENT TIMING/RHYTHM WERE ALREADY SAVED AS PRESETS for that SETUP. Otherwise, both the timing and rhythm will change.

However, if you select a SOUND button, the rhythm choice will change to whatever may have been last used in the SOUND section since POWER-ON or PANIC reset. On the other hand, if you select a SETUP button, the rhythm choice will not change.

However, if you are NOT running the metronome while you select a different voice, then, well, it all depends:

1) ...if you choose a SETUP button, then the timing will revert to the default 120=bpm and click (or to whatever combination of timing and rhythm saved as a SETUP metronome choice previously with that button).

2) ...a different SOUND, then the timing will revert back to whatever you set the time and rhythm to while using a SOUND button since your last POWER-ON or PANIC reset.

Turning off POWER (or hitting PANIC button) resets the SOUND time to 120=bpm and reverts back to click (not rhythm).

I'm still foggy on when/why the rhythm style changes when switching between a SOUND and a SETUP because I seem to get different outcomes at times and haven't nailed down the specific conditions causing the behavior. I suspect it depends on whether the default 120 bpm was SAVED as part of the voice or not. There's no way to tell.

IDEA: Wouldn't it be great if there was simply a GLOBAL choice as to whether the metronome parameters CHANGE when changing voices, or they don't? Then you'd actually know what's going on instead of trying to figure all this stuff out cry

================

Feel free to correct/elaborate if you learn more about the metronome behavior in the MP7 (and MP11?) ... and others (like lolatu) has reported strange behavior with his CA series keyboard, so perhaps he can elaborate here.

========

I use the metronome regularly for practice and so for me figuring this stuff out has been a focus.

Of course, in the scheme of things this isn't too big a deal since today's phones and tablets offer wonderful metronome apps for free (or a buck) and you can easily listen along and/or wire the audio of your device into your keyboard input jack if need be. Not as "elegant" but sure beats spending too much valuable practice time screwing with this stuff, eh?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2380710 - Today at 12:11 AM Re: Kawai - Keyboard Metronomes... the good the bad and the ugly [Re: OneWatt]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I just set the metronome up with each tone that I use the most, and save them in the Setup menu. For me, the volume is the big kicker as it comes on a lot louder than I want it. So I have my few favorite piano tones adjusted and saved in the Setup menu, and when I like one a lot I will make that setting the default for when the DP first powers up.

The Setup settings are like examples of things you can do. Since tweaking the metronome is something you might want to do for a particular tone setup, it is one of the functions that is saved in the Setup menu. The Setup menu is a bunch of examples of pre-determined settings which include metronome settings. There are empty spaces to add your own Setup and you can over-write the existing Setup settings.

Thinking about this now, I wonder if you can 'record' the metronome playing the way you like it, and play it back while playing over it? That should give you the ability to change whatever you want and hear the same metronome beat and volume. Just an idea..

#2380776 - Today at 04:58 AM Re: Kawai - Keyboard Metronomes... the good the bad and the ugly [Re: OneWatt]
lophiomys Offline

Loc: Austria, EU
Joe, IMO that is getting quite cumbersome. I bought the Kawai MP7 exactly that I do not have to fiddle around with my mobile (generating noise in the speakers). BTW, before I had the MP7, I noticed that on my Android phone (Note 2) the metronomes did not tick even, I had to dig out my old iPhone, where the Steinway metronome seemed to work on time.

The current behaviour of the metronome (with FW v1.10) is an annoyance for voice switching when practicing with the metronome.

I consider a more simple and pragmatic behaviour for the metronome:

1.) The metronome is global and maintains its configuration after switching Sound or Setup, ...
2.) ... unless a metronome/rhythm was explicitly stored with a Sound or Setup.

#2380862 - Today at 11:31 AM Re: Kawai - Keyboard Metronomes... the good the bad and the ugly [Re: lophiomys]
OneWatt Online   content

Loc: Mountain Time, USA
Originally Posted By: lophiomys

1.) The metronome is global and maintains its configuration after switching Sound or Setup, ...

Lo Phi - you nailed it. cool For #2 above, the ability to "reset" a stored metronome setting would be needed. - OneWatt

#2381070 - 24 minutes 2 seconds ago Re: Kawai - Keyboard Metronomes... the good the bad and the ugly [Re: OneWatt]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: OneWatt
Originally Posted By: lophiomys

Lo Phi - you nailed it. cool For #2 above, the ability to "reset" a stored metronome setting would be needed. - OneWatt

I believe all SETUPs have a 'default' metronome setting (e.g. 120 bpm) - it's not possible for a SETUP to have a 'null' value.

It appears that there are two schools of thought:

1. The metronome should change when selecting SETUPs
2. The metronome should be fixed, and not change when selecting SETUPs.

OneWatt and lophiomys, clearly believe #2 is correct, however other users may believe otherwise.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
I found this thread interesting and hope some others might contribute to it
The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
---------------------
NAMM Show 2015 Follow Up!
Pictures, Videos, Comments from the 2015 NAMM Show

-------------------

Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha GB1
by littlebirdblue
02/01/15 08:50 PM
Let's listen to Harmonies of a piece <3
by piano_friend
02/01/15 07:54 PM
PTFE Powder - Lubricant for Grand Piano Knuckles
by Alan1724
02/01/15 06:49 PM
How hard is really Moonlight Sonata 3'rd Movement?
by Byrotte
02/01/15 06:33 PM
Help,, japanese piano and radiation
by Impreza
02/01/15 05:14 PM
Forum Stats
77966 Members
42 Forums
161131 Topics
2366952 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission