Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (36251, anamnesis, Adreneline, Albunea, AmateurBob, 35 invisible), 1685 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2381237 - 02/02/15 07:58 AM Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97?
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Perhaps only four weeks before the CA-97 reaches the UK. Meanwhile I would like to hear from anyone that has actually played this new model. I have read the spec and the user manual but I would value the opinion of those here after they get hands on.

Ian

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2381877 - 02/03/15 02:50 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Nope - but I am dying to hear some good examples of the new resonance parameters in the virtual technician settings. Wonder if the sound overall has become less static, especially in the sustain phase (and longer due to added generated resonances ?).

HI-XL of previous (95) generation is decent, but a bit thin in the higher registers and more specifically; too short with higher notes. An acoustic rings much longer and less static in the higher registers. Low and mid register is quite OK on the current generation.

New Shigeru EX sounds very much like the Studio Grand preset in the CA-95 BTW - which has always been my favorite over the Concert Grand. Coincidence ?

Edited by JFP (02/03/15 02:51 PM)

#2382046 - 02/03/15 09:16 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
Markarian Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle Area
*sigh* If only they had put these samples in the MP11

#2382100 - 02/03/15 11:51 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Markarian]
Marko in Boston Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Markarian

I know, we discussed planned obsolescence many times before. It is a business after all trying to make long term profits. I accept that with no problem.

OT: Does it really matter? Funny, even if Kawai put out the "perfect" acoustic piano sample we would still complain.... it's to bright, it's to dull, it's to thin, Pianoteq 9 will sound so much better, it was sampled not modeled, I miss limited polyphony, authentic hammer hardness is giving me a headache, my dog likes Kawai but my cat likes Steinway... etc, etc,

I digress. Im sure the the CA97 will sound spectacular.... to at least 50% of us . In the near future the MP12 will have it all!!.... except 256 voices

#2382576 - 02/05/15 03:50 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Marko in Boston]
Beemer Offline

Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
Originally Posted By: Markarian

I know, we discussed planned obsolescence many times before. It is a business after all trying to make long term profits. I accept that with no problem.

OT: Does it really matter? Funny, even if Kawai put out the "perfect" acoustic piano sample we would still complain.... it's to bright, it's to dull, it's to thin, Pianoteq 9 will sound so much better, it was sampled not modeled, I miss limited polyphony, authentic hammer hardness is giving me a headache, my dog likes Kawai but my cat likes Steinway... etc, etc,

I digress. Im sure the the CA97 will sound spectacular.... to at least 50% of us . In the near future the MP12 will have it all!!.... except 256 voices

I prefer my glass half full not half empty.

Ian

#2382602 - 02/05/15 05:39 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline

Yes, when it's half empty there is so little left in it.
The Grand Conservatory method for the piano,1885 edition. Chopin Op.28 No.15

#2390439 - 02/24/15 03:35 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
Galuwen Offline

Not yet but...

I will get mine next week hopefully.

If it is 50% as good as my CA95 it will be UNBELIEVABLE !!!

I will poste my first impressions hopefully next week.

Alexander *happy as can be*

#2390478 - 02/24/15 04:42 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Galuwen]
Beemer Offline

Originally Posted By Galuwen
Not yet but...

I will get mine next week hopefully.

If it is 50% as good as my CA95 it will be UNBELIEVABLE !!!

I will poste my first impressions hopefully next week.

Alexander *happy as can be*

I look forward to hearing your impressions,

Ian

#2396598 - 03/11/15 01:42 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Marko in Boston]
navyasw02 Offline

Originally Posted By Marko in Boston
Originally Posted By Markarian

That said does Kawai have a "trade up" program? I could see that as a real money maker and also a way for people to upgrade large bulky electronics such as digital pianos without having to deal with selling on the local used market. I'd be more inclined to trade up to something newer and even pay for it in depreciation if I knew I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of shipping or dealing with someone picking up, backing out of a deal, and all the other woes of selling to a private party.

#2398931 - 03/16/15 04:36 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
Galuwen Offline

*narf* I did not get one :-(:-( :-(.

Not available anymore...

Anyone experience with the new CLP 585 - Bösendörfer - *is excited*

#2398950 - 03/16/15 05:23 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
MRC Online   content

Loc: Germany
I played a CA97 for about an hour today. My impressions:

- I tried out the three grand piano sounds. After a while I found the touch setting: for my taste it seemed better on "heavy".

- The Shigeru concert grand has a rich sound with very resonant bass tones. For me the bass was a bit overpowering. Maybe I could have rectified this with the Virtual Technician, but I didn't want to spend the time trying to figure out how that worked.

- I found the SK-5 sound better balanced throughout the range.

- The speaker system is very good. Playing through speakers and playing through my Beyerdynamic headphones sounded surprisingly similar. This beats my NU1 where the sound through headphones is noticeably better than the sound through the speakers.

- All the grand pianos sounded artificial when playing long sustained high notes: I suspect looping to be the culprit.

- All in all I found the sounds were good but not as realistic as the CFX and Bösendorfer in the CLP 585 (I had one of those at home for several weeks).

- The touch is pretty good, better than the CLP 585, but still cannot compete with an action that has a real escapement (NU1 or AvantGrand).

- I was disappointed with the "ebony feel" black keys: the surface is slightly rough. I'm used to real ebony keys (such as those on my old Richard Lipp) being silky smooth.

#2398971 - 03/16/15 06:12 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
kapelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Poland
->
Just one question regarding the sound comaprison with CLP585.
Do you think that they would sound more realistic to you, when you would have the piano at home?

That makes many times huge difference.

And, well, that's ebony from a DP, it always will be inferior to the grand pianos ebonych touch, so nothing new here.

However, seems like an really top DP (excluding those 2 and more timex expensive machines with real actions or V-piano technology inside.

#2398993 - 03/16/15 06:51 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
Galuwen Offline

I only had the Chance to test the CA67.

The sound really blew me away.

I decided to wait for my CA97 anyway. I was REALLY disappointed with the CLP 545 in the shop. It sounded very thin and not realistic.

Funny i really like the new Ebony keys and the Keyboard by any means.

I compared with a brand new Yamaha Grand piano and the black keys are absolutely the same (may be because they are brand new).

I took a foto to show you.

Can't wait for my CA97 > Shop told me today about 6-8 weeks from now (hopefully).

Alexander

Edited by Galuwen (03/16/15 07:02 PM)

#2399001 - 03/16/15 07:32 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Galuwen]
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By Galuwen
*narf* I did not get one :-(:-( :-(.

Not available anymore...

May I ask what happened?

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2399003 - 03/16/15 07:34 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: MRC]
Kawai James Offline

MRC, thank you for sharing your impressions of the CA97.

May I ask if you have had a chance to play-test the CA95, and if so, how you feel the CA97 compares?

Kind regards,
James
x

#2399139 - 03/17/15 03:40 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Kawai James]
MRC Online   content

Originally Posted By Kawai James
MRC, thank you for sharing your impressions of the CA97.

May I ask if you have had a chance to play-test the CA95, and if so, how you feel the CA97 compares?

Kind regards,
James
x

There wasn't a CA95 to compare directly with the CA97. I tried a CA95 some months ago: memory is deceptive, but I get the impression that the sound of the CA97 is considerably richer and more like a real piano. This could be coming both from the new samples and the improved speaker system.

As for the touch, I really don't know. I simply cannot trust my memory here: I'd have to play both instruments side by side to see if I felt any difference.

#2399142 - 03/17/15 03:54 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: kapelli]
MRC Online   content

Originally Posted By kapelli
->
Just one question regarding the sound comaprison with CLP585.
Do you think that they would sound more realistic to you, when you would have the piano at home?

That is a tricky question. As I said, I had a few weeks with the CLP585, but only an hour with the CA97. I found the sound of the CFX and Bösendorfer samples in the CLP585 excellent when played through headphones: with headphones, I haven't found a digital piano sound I like better. With the speakers the sound wasn't as satisfying.

For my ears (all this is subjective!) the actual samples of the CLP585 sounded more realistic than those of the CA97, but the speaker system of the CA97 is better than that of the CLP585.

Of course I only played the CA97 for an hour and didn't have time to try out all the different things that can be done with the Virtual Technician. The possibilities here seem huge: I wonder how many players actually take the trouble to test them and use them.

What I found out after playing the CLP585 for a few weeks was that, although I liked the sound, I couldn't live with the touch. This is a very personal thing and I would recommend trying an instrument as long as possible before buying it.

#2399161 - 03/17/15 05:20 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Kawai James]
Brometeo Offline

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Originally Posted By Kawai James

I have tested a Kawai CA67 and have CA95, so my opinion has some interest smile

* New ebony touch and wider size of black keys is good enough for me.
* Touch is clearly heavier in new models.
* Touch from escape point plays subtle notes; much better now.

I don't know yet if I like enough new sound/touch overall. I should try dynamics more time. This week I will test CA97 and make a decision smile

#2399244 - 03/17/15 11:30 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Galuwen]
Galuwen Offline

Hehe,

my E- Mail account is exploding in the moment. Thanks for the messages.

I have to point out I wrote about the new Grand Feel II keyboard in my posting above.

What happend? A bit of an unexpected delay:-).

The CA97 is a bit difficult to get in the moment in our region.

But I can wait...and wait.....and wait.....and wait....

Alexander

P.S.: If I wanted to be meticolous I would point out: It's hard to discuss about the surface of a keyboard if a manufacturer don't even know that EBONY is BLACK and IVORY is white. Start your google search and look here:

In German the white keys are made of EBONY (Ebenholz):

In English they are made of Ivory (White):

Source: Manual of CVP 409 :-)

Edited by Galuwen (03/17/15 01:06 PM)

#2400679 - 03/20/15 04:49 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
Galuwen Offline

FINALLY !! Got my date today: Next week !! HURRAY!!!

#2402714 - 03/26/15 05:45 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
Galuwen Offline

Got mine today and...It is QUATUUM LEAP !!! HURRAY !!

I did not expect the difference so HUGHY !!! This PIANO is really QUATUUM LEAP for me...it is singing and resonating I really CRIED when I first played "SAD PIANO"

All this BEAUTIFUL SAMPLES !! WOOOOOT!!! THANKS KAWAI...

A MUST HAVE FOR ALL PIANO PLAYERS. The Keyboard I really like MOST > The Feedback and the touch now is REALLY very very very very close to the Grands I have tested.

One LITTLE thing (see below)I found out. The new balck keys are GREAT but there seems to be problem with the IVORY coating. It was splittered on 6 keys a bit. But I am quite sure KAWAI makes it good again :-) :-) :-).

The new Headphone amplifier is a MASTERPIECE > FINALLY this wounderful Instrument sounds so GREAT also with headphones > Wide an spacy !!!

Thanks KAWAI for this GREAT INSTRUMENT:

ありがとう!
Arigatou!

Alexander

Edited by Galuwen (03/26/15 06:23 AM)

#2402754 - 03/26/15 09:01 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Galuwen]
lophiomys Online   content

Loc: Austria, EU
The MP7 & MP11 owners want to have this quantum leap too!

#2402976 - 03/26/15 10:22 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Galuwen]
Kawai James Offline

Hello Alexander, congratulations on your new piano!

I get the impression that you're happy with the instrument, which is surely a good thing. wink

The imperfection on the white key surface that you pictured is unfortunate. Please contact your dealer for advice on having this point corrected.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2404742 - 03/31/15 05:12 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
Amoled Offline

Hi, would appreciate your opinions as I am a total beginner wanting to make a start with digital piano.

I checked out a local shop and they were happy to sell CA95 at CA67's price around USD 2,600. I am open to both options (haven't yet tried CA 67 - another a couple of months before it becomes available in Australia according to shop assistant) Would you guys recommend CA 95 over CA67? Or should I wait for CA67 given there is no price difference? Obviously they weren't willing to discount CA 97 so it was out of my budget. Based on the review I read on this forum though, it seems like it is the piano to get if you can afford it.

Kind regards,
Scott

#2404743 - 03/31/15 05:32 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
Kawai James Offline

Hello Scott, welcome to the forum.

Hmmm, that's a tricky one.

The CA95's main strength over the CA65 is the soundboard speaker system and single piece cabinet construction. The resulting sound quality (through the speakers) of the CA95 is undoubtedly superior to the CA65.

That being said, the CA67's new 6 speaker speaker system is a considerable improvement over the CA65, although not to the level of the CA95/CA97.

Speaker systems aside, the CA67 also features a newer keyboard action, new SK-EX and SK-5 piano samples, and a number of additional functions not found on the CA65. It's a case of whether you believe these new features to be more important than the CA95's soundboard.

The new CA instruments were announced by Kawai Australia just a couple of weeks ago, so it may take a little while before these pianos are available at dealers' stores. If you're not in a great hurry to buy, perhaps you can wait until the latest models are available for play-testing...although I suspect the good deal you're being offered on the CA95 may no longer be available by this time.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2404750 - 03/31/15 06:26 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Kawai James]
Amoled Offline

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, James.

As a beginner, I doubt my abilities to tell much difference between the two models (67 and 95) and thus taking an easy option of asking opinion of experienced players such as yourself. I probably wouldn't appreciate additional functions as a beginner. The reason I narrowed down my purchasing choice to the two Kawai models is because of the realistic key action as a learning tool. When I have compared the two Kawai models to Roland (HP506 and 508) and I definitely liked the keys on Kawai better.

It is tough one as I can't immediately test CA 67. I am leaning towards CA 95 at the moment but will sleep over it and decide.

Kind regards,
Scott

#2409443 - 04/12/15 11:15 AM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
Skjalg Offline

Loc: Norway
I received my Kawai CA 97 a few days ago. I have been for the lookout for something new the last six month so I had plenty of time to try out different models. My goal was to find an electric piano that had
- headphone amplification to be adaptable to my headphone and give a realistic sound.
- possibility to hang the headphones when not in use
- excellent keyboard, similar to a piano
- solid, quality build
- possible with 4 sheets of music
- a realistic sound when played without headphones
- 70 or more sound samples (of which I liked at least 2 pianos and 10 other sounds)
- not too tall
- had a price tag of no more than 4000 - 5000 euros
- Anticipated service - as little as possible
- Esthetics: no gold thanks

I previously had a Roland, so I was eager to try these out, but I did not like the sound samples that much compared to Kawai and Yamaha. But I did like the action better than on the Yamahas. The Yamaha CLP 585 was a nice experience with nice quality feeling, but I far preferred the Kawai action, in particular that of the Kawai CA 97. The black keys in particular I think was improved from previous models and that of for instance Kawai CS 10, CA 65/95 models. I also liked the new sound samples that came with the Kawai CA 97, and I think the default piano sound is the right one for me. I tried out the real counterparts as they happened to have 2 Shigeru Kawai in the store. The closest to the the SK5 sample was an SK3 (188 cm) which gives a very interesting sound, but it takes a bit of getting used to , but once you do - very nice.

OK - so here the piano is in my flat:

I liked the modest, more modern look of the CA 97, here with the new Silver logo. Also the action is superior to any other sub-5000 Euro models I have tried. I felt at home straight away.

It is worth to put the correct headphone settings. It makes for an enjoyable sound.

#2409481 - 04/12/15 01:26 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Skjalg]
sempianist Offline

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By Skjalg
I received my Kawai CA 97 a few days ago.

Hej Skjalg,
Congratulations for your new DP. Thanks for nice photos and sharing information on the comparison of CA97's SK5 sound and a "real" SK. Enjoy your new piano!

Cheers
Semih

P.S. If you wish, please put the purchase information in "DIGITAL PIANO -PRICES PAID" post http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1201029/DIGITAL_PIANO_%22PRICES_PAI.html#Post1201029

Edited by sempianist (04/12/15 05:47 PM)

Ex Casio CDP 120

#2409508 - 04/12/15 02:41 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
Skjalg Offline

Loc: Norway
Thanks Semih.
I added purchase information and continue to explore the features of my new digital piano.
Skjalg

#2409541 - 04/12/15 04:56 PM Re: Anyone actually played a Kawai CA-97? [Re: Beemer]
LarryMan Offline

Congratulations skjalg,

Is the space between black keys enough or got smaller since the size of the black keys got wider? .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
At what price do digital piano's start sounding real
by TomRL
Today at 11:30 AM
CA 67 midi control
by mike2014
Today at 08:38 AM
"Golden Age"
by PhilipInChina
Today at 08:03 AM
Drama! 7 y.o. Student Doesn't want to do Recital this Year!
by pianoman9
Today at 05:20 AM
search someone with a U1 yamaha and PNOscan or other system
by Martyprod
Today at 04:48 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,049 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,550 Topics
2,399,902 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission