Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
113 registered (accordeur, AllanH, 36251, Albunea, anotherscott, anamnesis, 28 invisible), 1196 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28 >
Topic Options
#2382344 - 02/04/15 03:00 PM "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015
Anne H Offline

Loc: New Orleans
This is the official signup and participation thread for the 2015 "40 Pieces A Year Challenge"! We'll use this thread for signups, tracking progress and recordings (if you're making them) and discussion and support.

The Goal: To see if learning 40 piano pieces a year can make us better players.

The Method: Participants will aim to complete 40 pieces a year of various skill levels. Most of these will be under your current skill level, which is up to you to interpret! These pieces can include classical, jazz or any other genre. These pieces do not have to be completed to a completely polished final standard - they are about skill building, learning, sight reading, exploring new music and having fun.

For more details about the inspiration and source of this challenge, please read these pieces by Elissa Milne:

Where Did The 40 Piece Challenge Begin?

The Surprising Power of Quantity

Suggestions For Getting Started

Tracking Your Progress: Please check in with this thread when you complete your pieces - we'll keep a running total for everyone at the top and edit it as needed. Please feel free to also upload any recordings that you're making (if you're comfortable with that) and ask any questions, get support or just suggestions for more music!

Some Notes About Skill Levels and Competition:We all have many different backgrounds and skill levels, so this challenge will look different for each one of us. Our goal is to support and foster people's drive to complete the challenge, no matter what skill level they are at. Please be kind and refrain from bringing negative attitudes into the thread, whether towards yourself or towards others! This is about meeting the challenge (and the piano) where you are rather than comparing yourself to others.

Official 2015 Tracker:
Anne H: 35
JimF: 12
Anita Potter: 19
zillybug: 17
Moonsh1ne: 7
Groove On: 4
earlofmar: 22
sinophilia: 20
medden: 19
SwissMS: 20
gingko2: 7
verqueue: 32
mom3gram: 32
Tararex: 6
Jotur: 16
barbaram: 14
bolt: 2
Valencia: 19
wimpiano: 39
scorpio: 21
Jvmvidela: 5
zrtf90: 23
BrianDX: 34
Jvmvidela: 5
ajames: 27
Octaves_Up: 5
Trevor May: 33
Aceituna: 10
MossySF: 8
AndreaS85: 8
Finch: 2
Crocus: 6
Liamnissan: 5
Zerlina: 14
candlelightpiano: 4
TX-Bluebonnet: 3

Edited by Anne H (06/23/15 08:54 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2382401 - 02/04/15 05:15 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Can't resist the temptation to be 1st sign up. Count me in, Anne. (Note/Disclaimer: my weekly throwaway program probably has a lower standard of "completion" than many of you have suggested for this thread, which is fine with me as my program is well-suited for its intended purposes - play lots, have fun, read lots.)

I didn't finish a nice arrangement of Silent Night until early January, so that is #1 for me.
Because I have a lot of new assignments and missed some lessons we have delayed weekly throwaways until next week.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#2382452 - 02/04/15 07:29 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
Count me in too. I'm still working through a method book- I'll probably get about half my pieces from Alfred's #2. Here is what I've signed off on so far this year:

From Alfred's #2:
Dark Eyes
Swinging Sevenths
The Polovetsian Dances (Theme, arrangement)
Arkansas Traveler

Also Kabalevsky Op. 27, "An Old Dance"

XXXVIII-6-XXXIII

#2382473 - 02/04/15 08:08 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
Anita Potter Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm in! Pieces this year totaling 5 so far.

Ecossaise in G Major - Beethoven
Air in D Minor - Purcell
Passepied - Handel
14th Melody - Le Couppey
Tambourin - Rameau

Looking forward to seeing what everyone's working on and how everyone is progressing.

#2382480 - 02/04/15 08:34 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I'm in smile I won't have a "completed" until the end of the week, because I plan on doing 1 or so a week, and I just started last weekend. But I plan on playing it in a gig on Friday!

Cathy

#2382499 - 02/04/15 10:38 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: jotur]
zillybug Online   content

Loc: upstate NY
Sign me up. Most of mine will probably be from Melodious Masterpieces book 1 or Easy Classics to Modern except for a few harder ones that I work on with my teacher but they take months of work.
For this year so far,
Song without Words by Fritz Spindler
2nd movement of Beethoven Sonata no 25- I started this in 2014 but was still working on it in 2015.
Old French Song by Tchaikovsky

#2382505 - 02/04/15 11:02 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
Moonsh1ne Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I think I will really struggle to complete this if I sign up. I guess I can attempt, but I only have the 1 piece completed this year so far. What I submitted for ABF recital was something I learned mid last year.

1. The Poet Speaks, Schumann

#2382507 - 02/04/15 11:03 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
Groove On Offline

All right I'm in! I already have 1 under my belt for January. Working on 2 and 3 now.

#2382513 - 02/04/15 11:28 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
Anne H Offline

Added another one today, which I'd like to record once I get back from vacation.

"Just the Way You Look Tonight" arranged by Phillip Keveren from an intermediate jazz standards book.

#2382547 - 02/05/15 01:26 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Add me to the list please (completed 5 pieces). Last years challenge ended for me in November and I then took a rest before restarting early January. It has been good to get back into the saddle for another year but it's going to be even better now with company.

Completed so far:

1 Canario Hofe
2 Little Sonata - Moderato Wilton
3 Little Sonata - Minuetto Wilton
4 Brave Knight Vogel
5 Aria Speer

All my easy pieces will come from Joy of First Classics and I will be really brave and post this recording which I think is the first of the group so far. Considering one of my main pieces for the year is Bach's Invention No 1 this should be easy, but no this took 17 days to get to the recording stage (might only play through twice daily) and this is what I put in my "challenge" notes "Not difficult but not easy either took a while to get the bass line to sync with the melody which is a fairly common problem for me".

One of the big surprises of the challenge, while it was fairly easy to incorporate into my daily regime and complete, little pieces I felt I was too good for could be so challenging. That is why it is such a great system.

XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2382553 - 02/05/15 02:18 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Count me in! I have 5 pieces so far:

- Schumann, The Wild Horseman from op. 68
- Bertini, Etude op. 116 no. 18
- Ludvig Schytte, No. 25 from 25 Melodious Studies op. 108
- El cant des ocells, traditional catalan song arr. Marshall
- Gershwin's Summertime arranged as accompaniment for clarinet

Thank you Anne!

#2382565 - 02/05/15 02:49 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
Medden Offline

Loc: London, UK
Count me in.
I posted my list in the other thread.

So far I have completed 6!
I haven't set the bar very high in terms of difficulty. I consider a piece complete once I have recorded a note perfect rendition. I expect others will spend much longer polishing these pieces.
For me, the fun is in discovering and playing lots of new music.

#2382567 - 02/05/15 02:58 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: sinophilia]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Count me in as well. This is going to be fun. The milestone for me for each piece will be to record it. Since my assigned pieces for the year are grades 6-8, the remainder of my pieces will come from Celebration Series 4-6 (RCM), Masterworks Classics (4-6) plus a few Dan Coates arrangements of popular pieces. So recorded so far this year:

1. Kuhlau Sonatina in A minor "Burlesco"
2. Chopin Prelude 20 in C minor

Just two, but there will be more to come. I have some catching up to the year to do! The first piece is my recital piece. Here is the second.

Edited by SwissMS (02/05/15 05:12 AM)

#2382587 - 02/05/15 04:28 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
barbaram Offline

Count me in too please!
Nothing on my "completed" list yet - my ABF submission was a polishing up of a previously learned piece and everything else is WIP

#2382623 - 02/05/15 07:49 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: earlofmar]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: earlofmar
I will be really brave and post this recording which I think is the first of the group so far.

Bravo! Thank you for sharing.

My plan is to record and share my challenge pieces. I hope others will as well. I truly believe that the more you record and share, the more confident you become with the entire process.

“The important thing is to feel your music, really feel it and believe it.” –Ray Charles

#2382625 - 02/05/15 07:54 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: SwissMS]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
I loved it. This is one piece I am looking forward to playing. earlofmar played it in one of the recitals, quite inspiring.

This is fun seeing all the different music being tackled. Terrific source of ideas.

“The important thing is to feel your music, really feel it and believe it.” –Ray Charles

#2382656 - 02/05/15 09:39 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
Anita Potter Offline

Loc: Colorado
I thought I could edit my posts. Looks like there's just a small window for that. Anyhoo...

I have a page in my WordPress blog that I list the pieces and recordings (if one exists). I'm still trying to catch up with recording last year but will soon get to more of this year. I'm fearing that some of the stuff on my to do list is beyond me right now but we'll get to that when it arises.

Here's the link http://www.mddu.com/40-piece-challenge-2015/

#2382682 - 02/05/15 10:49 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: SwissMS]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy

Beautiful. And how wonderful your piano sounds.

Makes me miss my acoustic... I'm still waiting for the technician to bring back my hammers. To think that I had just had it tuned frown

#2382702 - 02/05/15 11:38 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
gingko2 Online   content

Loc: MA, USA
Count me in. A couple weeks ago my teacher and I were actually talking about doing 1 or 2 "easier" pieces a week just for exposure to more music. The club just makes it more fun and will help to stay on track!

So far, I have 3 pieces: Bartok's Rogue Song and Wedding Song (I'm in a Bartok phase...) and Scarlatti's Aria, K.32.

Thanks, Anne.
Bach: Invention #9
Ravel: Prelude

#2382705 - 02/05/15 11:51 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: earlofmar]
Anne H Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Add me to the list please (completed 5 pieces). Last years challenge ended for me in November and I then took a rest before restarting early January. It has been good to get back into the saddle for another year but it's going to be even better now with company.

Completed so far:

1 Canario Hofe
2 Little Sonata - Moderato Wilton
3 Little Sonata - Minuetto Wilton
4 Brave Knight Vogel
5 Aria Speer

All my easy pieces will come from Joy of First Classics and I will be really brave and post this recording which I think is the first of the group so far. Considering one of my main pieces for the year is Bach's Invention No 1 this should be easy, but no this took 17 days to get to the recording stage (might only play through twice daily) and this is what I put in my "challenge" notes "Not difficult but not easy either took a while to get the bass line to sync with the melody which is a fairly common problem for me".

One of the big surprises of the challenge, while it was fairly easy to incorporate into my daily regime and complete, little pieces I felt I was too good for could be so challenging. That is why it is such a great system.

This is a really neat little piece! You play it with lots of energy and style.

#2382706 - 02/05/15 11:52 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: SwissMS]
Anne H Offline

Count me in as well. This is going to be fun. The milestone for me for each piece will be to record it. Since my assigned pieces for the year are grades 6-8, the remainder of my pieces will come from Celebration Series 4-6 (RCM), Masterworks Classics (4-6) plus a few Dan Coates arrangements of popular pieces. So recorded so far this year:

1. Kuhlau Sonatina in A minor "Burlesco"

Just two, but there will be more to come. I have some catching up to the year to do! The first piece is my recital piece. Here is the second.

I've always really liked this prelude and you do a great job with it. Your piano really does sound nice.

#2382746 - 02/05/15 02:27 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
verqueue Offline

Loc: Europe

I want to participate too. So far I finished three pieces. One, which I submitted at ABF recital and the other two are here: Chopin and Scriabin

Still working at my Schumann piece - it has 4 movements, so it counts as 4?

#2382824 - 02/05/15 05:31 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: scorpio]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: scorpio
I loved it. This is one piece I am looking forward to playing. earlofmar played it in one of the recitals, quite inspiring.

This is fun seeing all the different music being tackled. Terrific source of ideas.

Thanks for the comment scorpio and hope you do learn this prelude, I found it very rewarding and still play it.

Nice one SwissMS, so glad others are going to be prepared to post recordings as it will help inspire and keep us motivated.

XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2383011 - 02/06/15 08:31 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Count me in. (I actually attempted to do this last year, but let it slide after about 10 pieces.) I have 3 so far this year.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#2383076 - 02/06/15 11:44 AM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
Medden Offline

Loc: London, UK
My next randomly selected piece is much tricker, going to take me a week at least to nail it.
I'm glad, as I don't like having the highest score so far... Makes it looks like I'm rushing to win a race!

The table is a measure of progress, not a scoreboard!

#2383087 - 02/06/15 12:20 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Medden]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By Medden
My next randomly selected piece is much tricker, going to take me a week at least to nail it.
I'm glad, as I don't like having the highest score so far... Makes it looks like I'm rushing to win a race!

The table is a measure of progress, not a scoreboard!

Absolutely! This is a challenge against yourself, and no one else. I am aiming for a piece a week, but some of my choices may even take longer. It is a balancing act between choosing pieces that are doable in the time frame, but not so easy that there is no real benefit. So, I guess I will learn what works as I go along. I also have to balance it with my assigned pieces, and the Schumann recital. So, the challenge pieces will not get a lot of time each day. I almost have the next one ready to record, though!

#2383093 - 02/06/15 12:32 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

#2383122 - 02/06/15 02:07 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
Please add my name to the competition list.

I will start working through these in no particular order.

1. Minuet in G, Animato. From the notebook of A.M.Bach
2, Aylesford Piece, G.F. Handel
3, Sonatina Op 36, 1 Allegro, Clementi
4, Sonatina Op 36, 1 Andante, Clementi
5. Sonatina Op 36, 1 Vivace, Clementi
6. Sonatina in G, Moderato L.V.Beethoven
7. Sonatina in G, Allegretto L.V.Beethoven
8. Gymnopedie no.1, E.Satie
9. Gymnopedie no.2, E.Satie
10.Gymnopedie no.3, E.Satie
11.Sonatina in F, Allegro Assai, L.V.Beethoven
12.Sonatina in F, Rondo, L.V.Beethoven
13.Sonatina in F, L.V.Beethoven
14.In Church, P.I.Tchaikovsky
15.Fairy Tale, D. Kabalevsky
16.Sonatina Op 36, 5 Presto, Clementi
17.Sonatina Op 36, 5 Allegro Moderato, Clementi
18.Sonatina Op 36, 5 Allegro De Molto, Clementi
19.Reverie, P.I. Tchaikovsky
20. Bagatelle, C Maj. Op 119, L.V. Beethoven.
21. Ashoken Farewell

I'd like to add two easy pieces already completed in January.
1. Erlas Waltz
2. Comptine pour un autre été

Thanks!

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever. Accept this as truth or risk a quick exit with tail between legs.

#2383138 - 02/06/15 03:28 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
Anne H Offline

I got a recording of this week's piece this afternoon (I'm really supposed to be packing for our vacation but I'm putting it off for piano practice), so I thought I'd put it up!

It's here: Autumn Leaves

Next week (well, next two weeks as I'll be without piano for a week) is Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 20, Op. 49, No. 2 - it's one of the baby learner sonatas. I need scale practice. I'm also working on Scarlatti's Keyboard Sonata in E minor but that may take a bit longer.

#2383191 - 02/06/15 06:15 PM Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2015 [Re: Anne H]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Count me in. (I actually attempted to do this last year, but let it slide after about 10 pieces.) I have 3 so far this year.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
For those that own both acoustic and digital pianos?question
by Gatsbee13
07/05/15 07:19 PM
Franz Sandner SG 178
by hassan
07/05/15 06:38 PM
Debussy Preludes Edition Recommendation?
by ClsscLib
07/05/15 05:10 PM
What & When is the "NEXT BIG THING" in Slab DPs?
by csrote
07/05/15 04:46 PM
Ragtime
by Isabelle1949
07/05/15 04:28 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,888 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,319 Topics
2,424,276 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission