2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 58 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 57 58
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Here is my third piece:

1. Bach (Short) Prelude No. 2
2. Bach Musette in D
3. Prokofiev Op. 65 No. 1-Morning

https://app.box.com/s/t0kmd74jmnqvc705o28kkpiqtuplkta5

The piece could be a little faster. Also, I found the high notes a bit harsh on the ears in the recording. Perhaps I just hit them too hard, or perhaps it has something to do with my recording settings.

A
A
I finished Le Couppey's 21st Melody. I still need to do some recording and get my files of my other computer (still trying to figure out how to do that). The only other one that's ready to record is the 21st Melody. I'll see if I can't accomplish that sometime today.

Now I'm going to go back through this thread and listen to everyone's pieces. It's been over 3 years since I've had a computer with audio and I'm going to enjoy this immensely smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image] XXXVII-XXXIX

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Piano Playing since November 2014
A
A
You know I really love this challenge everyone is doing a great job. So many beautiful and fun little pieces that I just listened to through this entire thread. And all the different levels that we're at I can appreciate where everyone's at and where everyone's going.

So glad that this challenge is on here smile

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Anita Potter
So glad that this challenge is on here smile

I agree!

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I managed to record a tiny little piece today (so I'm up to 6)... two days to learn, several takes to get an acceptable recording and it's not as fast as it should be! But here it is anyway, from Christopher Norton's Microjazz:

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Valencia - the Prokofiev is new to me, but it liked it! You played it very sensitively.

sinophilia- That is a pretty Jazz piece. Nice playing!

A
Anne H Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Okay everyone, I've done a big update so your new totals should be accurate. If they're not, send me a PM with what it should be and I'll fix it during the day. I've been on a plane for 36 hours and then got dropped into a pile of rush work at home, so I'll be on my computer to see your messages!

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I didn't realize when I joined this thread that we would be listing the titles of our pieces. So, a little history to explain why my pieces are not nearly as ambitious as the rest of you. I started piano at age 63, with no piano knowledge at all, not even knowing where Middle C was, or that it existed at all. I worked my way through the Alfred Adult All-in-One Book 1, self teaching. It didn't take me long to discover that piano doesn't come easy to me, and it took me almost two whole years to complete Book 1. (Yes, I would probably have done better with a teacher, but I really like self teaching). I got about 50 pages into Book 2 and hit a wall. I got frustrated. Then started weeks and months without playing at all, interspersed with a little reviewing and a half-hearted attempt to learn something new. Fast forward to this past December, when I decided to go back and work my way through Book 1 again, and start Book 2 over again. Reading a lot of recommendations on ABF about improving your sight reading/playing by learning a LOT of music at or below your level (is there anything below my level???) I decided to try to learn 40 or more pieces this year. I have a large accumulation of level 1 and leval 2 books, so I have lots to choose from. Here is my list so far.

1. "Can Can" - In Recital 2
2. "Theme from Swan Lake" - In Recital 2
3. "Over the Waves" - In Recital 2
4. "O Mio Babbino Caro" - In Recital 2
5. "Hi-Lili, Hi-Lo" - The Best of Robert Schultz Piano Solos
6. "Jeopardy Theme" - " " "
7. "Lara's Theme" - " "
8. "Song from Mash" - " "

The last 4 are easy, and definitely "throw aways", but I will continue to play a few of the first ones for a while.

So, I'm up to 8 pieces now.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
mom3gram - I'd guess your pieces are at about the level of the way I play pieces by ear smile In fact, I should swipe a couple of tunes from you. The seniors would love Hi Lillie Hi Lo and the Jeopardy theme. I'm glad you've come back to piano playing.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I've just been listening to all the recordings posted in this thread. Well done everyone! I must confess my so-called "done and recorded" piece is messier than the ones you posted, but I wanted to move on from it.
As has already been said more than once, thinking you can play something and actually getting an acceptable recording are two very different things!
Hats off to SwissMs for a bunch of really good recordings. I especially loved the Chopin prelude.
Verqueue, I loved the Scriabin. I've never actually listened to any of his work before. Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this.
Valencia, I'll definitely be adding more Bach to my work list this year too.

Apols to anyone I might have missed out on these comments - but I listened to everything and enjoyed!

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Last week's piece was Dialog by N. Miaskovsky, from Agay's More Classics to Moderns. It is a fun little call and response between left and right hands.

1. Silent Night - have to look up source
2. Blueberry Hill - Coates arrangement
3. Dialog - N. Miaskovsky

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
I am up to 7 now. I've to Bach's Musette memorized and am working on getting it to flow better even if it's at a really slow pace in some parts. All that jumping around is really challenging. I would love to play it as great at Valencia did but I have a long way to go smile

I should be making some recordings this week since I finally got most of my software back on this new computer this morning.

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
A
Anne H Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I'm calling two more complete, but I still want to record them later this week.

Here's my list, just for my own notes:
1. Horizon Variations by Max Richter
2. H In New England by Max Richter
3. The Tartu Piano by Max Richter
4. Autumn Leaves arr. Keveren
5. Piano Sonata No. 20, Op. 49, No. 2 - Beethoven
6. Sheherazade for the Schumann recital

I think next up will be an arrangement of Adios Nonino that I have! I also ordered the intermediate "Classics to Moderns" series book to have some more choices and I have an Elton John book that I want to try a few from. I love being able to transition to new stuff so quickly - even the practicing for my big recital piece seems to come easier when I'm more engaged. While I don't know if it's making a difference yet, my husband has been commenting that my playing sounds extra nice lately, so at least someone has noticed.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
New total for me is 8, I had a bit of success at the weekend and recorded three little pieces from Joy of First Classics (Follow Me, Minuetto & Complaint). The last two were so tiny they don't really qualify as pieces but they still gave me trouble and took over two weeks to get to a decent level so I am counting them. This is Follow Me or as I call it a 30 second music tongue twister.

There are many rewarding aspects to the challenge, but one for me that most take as natural is to actually read the score as I play. Up until the first Challenge I mermorised everything and dropped using the score at the first opportunity. With the Challenge I follow the score and never memorise although for everything outside of the Challenge I still memorise. The different ways of working have different benefits so it has been good to be able to experience both.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
i'm in ! 3 pieces so far this year !

Amateur Pianist
Happy owner of a K.Kawai GM-12
Chile
A
A
Aw what a pretty little piece that was earlofmar smile

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I liked that little piece, Earlofmar. I also have that book somewhere. I will have to dig it out and see if I can play it.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nice job earlomar! I can see how that could be a finger twister! It is a pretty piece.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Excellent, earlofmar! One of the other things I've learned on the ABF is how musical people are in their playing - no "just notes" here! When I go back and play some of my pieces in lesson books from, er, 45 years ago, I now try to make them as musical as what I hear here. And hear, hear to you - well done.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am not really sure what to count for the challenge. Is it all pieces, or just the one-a-week type selections?

I have a backlog of material that I need to work through and complete. With the recitals it has really jammed things up. This is not a bad thing.

Here's another piece that I can cross off the list (yippee!):

Czerny Op. 599, No. 12

The video for this one did not work (only half of my hands were showing). I am trying to find the best angle. I have learned so much just by watching my hands, amazing.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 58 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 57 58

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission