Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#238958 - 01/10/07 07:56 PM Bohemia- Worth the trip? Other Ideas?
rdubs Offline

Loc: Saint Paul, MN
Hi All,
I'm new here and wow- what an amazing resource. I'm really impressed with the depth of knowledge and the overall civility of the discussions.

Like many others, I found the forum in the midst of my first piano search. Just a little background- I've just started taking piano lessons (6 mo) as an adult beginner but I've been around keyboards for many years through my work writing music for tv and film. My frustrations with my lack of piano skills finally pushed me over the edge. So I've committed to practicing and I'm really enjoying playing really poorly each day.

After learning my old 1915 Cable upright wasn't worth restoring, I've shopped quite a bit, searched the forums, read the Larry Fine book, obsessed, and agonized over it, etc. Sound familiar?

So far, despite really loving the G4 Disklavier where I work, I've determined I'm not a fan of the Yamaha upright sound. Too nasal for my tastes. I've checked out Pramberger (JP48), Kawai K3 and K5, Petrof, Boston 118, Brodmann 125, and a Schimmel 120 AE- which of those was the hands down winner in touch, timbre, and overall loveability. But it's more than I ever expected to spend (8-10k instead of my original 5k budget). Generally I like a slightly darker sound like the Kawai or Bostons I've checked out but there was something very sweet about the tone of the Schimmel despite being a bit brighter and heavier on the fundamental than I might like. It's also got the Renner action and is less mysterious than some of the others in terms of quality and resale value.

So- my question. Not being able to check out any Bohemia uprights here in Minnesota, would it be worth a trip to Chicago to compare before I settle for something locally? Is it that good? Any big issues with buying out of state if I like one? Will having it delivered and prepped cost the difference for the Schimmel?

And Lastly, if I'm going to let my budget creep up, what else should I be checking out? It has to be an upright. No room for anything bigger.

Ok that was very long winded for my first post here. I promise to economize now that you know me. Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#238959 - 01/10/07 08:18 PM Re: Bohemia- Worth the trip? Other Ideas?
Steve Cohen Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
You are unnecessarily confusing yourself by comparing pianos with very different prices. Try comparing pianos that are similar in selling price. Go for the one that performs the best. Don't forget to try out the next size larger. Since the labor costs are nearly identical, the bang-for-the-buck is really good.

Bohemia makes a good piano in your price range. However, Chicago is far from Minn., and it will cost you in shipping.

I would say that, if you find a piano locally in your price range, that your are comfortable and satisfied with, I would forgo the trip. However, if there is still some nagging doubts, get a reliable weather forcast and head to Chicago!

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#238960 - 01/10/07 08:43 PM Re: Bohemia- Worth the trip? Other Ideas?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Hie thee to Madison, WI, Rdub. GeorgeK just bought one there.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#238961 - 01/10/07 11:21 PM Re: Bohemia- Worth the trip? Other Ideas?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, rdubs!

I haven't played many uprights so can't comment on the specific models you're considering, but I can offer a few general comments:

1.) It is not at all unusual for a piano shopper to double or triple his or her initial budget when shopping. And I have never heard of anybody regretting that they did so.

2.) Soooooo.... if it is the Schimmel that sings to you, and you can swing it financially, I'd say "go for it!" Especially since you say it was the "hands down winner" in all the important respects. This is a long-term purchase, so the extra few thousand amortized over the life of the piano really amounts to very little. And it's worth it, imo, to sit down and play at a piano that makes your heart sing. \:\)

3.) I wouldn't hesitate to buy out of state to get the right piano. (I did, myself.) Just make sure to get it all worked out what the procedure would be if there are any warranty issues. And realize that you will probably have to pay out of pocket to cover the non-warranty issues that most local dealers will cover out of courtesy, e.g., squeaking pedals, buzzing notes, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted. And come join us in the Adult Beginners Forum. We're a bunch of people who also "really enjoy playing really poorly every day." \:D

#238962 - 01/11/07 06:45 AM Re: Bohemia- Worth the trip? Other Ideas?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Monica is right about the Adult Beginners! I personally started at Wretched, progressed on to Pathetic and am now seeking to achieve Mediocrity! (Hey - we can't all be Horowitz, you know? \:D )

AB is a really gfreat place for new pianists.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#238963 - 01/11/07 10:03 AM Re: Bohemia- Worth the trip? Other Ideas?
George K Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Midwest
rdubs

Farleys House of Pianos is a Bohemia dealer. They are located in Madison. They are pleasant to deal with, and you can take the time you want to purchase (lord knows, I did!). I did not examine many of the Bohemia uprights, but Horace (who may still be here) has one. PM him and ask. Should you go to Farley's say "Hi" to Tim and Kay from me.

I bought from Farley's because when I retire, they'll be local to me, so service/etc will not be an issue. Had I planned on staying in Chicago, I would have looked differently.

(Taking Delivery 1 Week from RIGHT NOW!)

#238964 - 01/11/07 10:56 AM Re: Bohemia- Worth the trip? Other Ideas?
rdubs Offline

Loc: Saint Paul, MN
Thanks George! I'll certainly check them out. Closer than Chicago and they look like a great dealer. If I go, I'll give them your greeting.

And Congrats on your new piano! Very exciting.

#238965 - 01/11/07 11:11 AM Re: Bohemia- Worth the trip? Other Ideas?
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
You might also want to check out the Schulze Pollmann uprights if they are available within a reasonable radius. At an even higher end give the Grotrians a try. I have never heard anyone here say a bad word about their uprights. Even if they are out of the budget, there is some mileage in finding out what those pianos are like.

BTW: this line is priceless!

Quote:
So I've committed to practicing and I'm really enjoying playing really poorly each day.
:D \:D
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
164 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, ajames, accordeur, 47 invisible), 1741 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75492 Members
42 Forums
156102 Topics
2292320 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Martin Malmgren Performing in Helsinki
by Piano World
22 minutes 43 seconds ago
In need for that screaming, dirty, funky, rhodes sound
by Thomas B
Today at 03:36 PM
Godowsky - Prelude and Fugue for left hand alone
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:50 PM
piano player wanted...
by David Farley
Today at 02:38 PM
Wurlitzer electric piano sound
by 88 Fingers Jeff
Today at 01:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission