Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
101 registered (Almaviva, A Guy, 36251, Anticlock, Anne'sson, 27 invisible), 931 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2389754 - 02/22/15 10:15 PM Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups
Kevin_dup1 Offline

Loc: Illinois
All,

One of the choral groups I accompany has an opportunity to purchase a digital piano for rehearsals and smaller concerts (we try to rent an acoustic grand for larger concerts). I prefer acoustic piano for most music; I like the "organic" quality of acoustic pianos -- the multidimensional sound, the feel, the variety of tone, depending on manufacturer. The small group (16-20) tends to perform traditional choral music, Broadway/show tunes, and some pop. The singers are generally very accomplished vocalists/musicians.

The budget is open; I think a mid-range instrument would be reasonable, and I wouldn't rule out a higher-end one. The instrument needs to be somewhat portable; we don't need a lot of sophisticated features. The primary purpose is as an accompanying instrument that sounds and feels reasonably like a good acoustic piano.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the options for digital pianos, and find the choices confusing. Does anyone have some recommendations that might fit our needs? I certainly would appreciate some guidance. Thank you.

Kevin

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2389763 - 02/22/15 10:52 PM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Kevin_dup1]
ElmerJFudd Offline

How big is the choir and the rehearsals space and the "small" performance space?

Portable in what regard?. Rolling from one room to another?
Or moving off site?

#2389768 - 02/22/15 10:56 PM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Kevin_dup1]
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Kevin,

I would recommend a portable 'slab-type' instrument with built-in speakers, such as:

- Yamaha P255
- Kawai ES7
- Roland FP-80

Depending on your budget, you may consider the lower priced offerings, such as:

- Yamaha P115/P105
- Kawai ES100
- Roland FP-50, F-20
- Casio PX-350/PX-150

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2389773 - 02/22/15 11:13 PM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Kevin_dup1 Offline

Hi -- The group numbers 16-20 of mixed (SATB, sometimes split) voices. The performance space is usually a small auditorium (300 seats).

Portable = two people can move it from a storage space to the stage and occasionally from one building to another (on the same campus/site).

#2389774 - 02/22/15 11:14 PM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Kawai James]
Kevin_dup1 Offline

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look into pricing on those.

#2389794 - 02/23/15 01:24 AM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Kevin_dup1]
Bellicapelli Online   content

Loc: Tuscany Italy
Hello. On one side i would say you need a slab piano, which is quite portable. On the other side i guess you re not going to fill a 300 people auditorium with your piano unless you amplify, or choose a full size cabinet piano with proper amplification, which in turn will be less portable.

But... would you really have a 300 people concert without an acoustic grand?

#2389803 - 02/23/15 02:36 AM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Bellicapelli]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By Bellicapelli
Hello. On one side i would say you need a slab piano, which is quite portable. On the other side i guess you re not going to fill a 300 people auditorium with your piano unless you amplify, or choose a full size cabinet piano with proper amplification, which in turn will be less portable.
. . .

My first thoughts, too.

I'd be inclined to get a good slab piano -- Roland FP-80, maybe -- and a reasonable PA system. Most halls (I think!) will have a PA system already. You can use that, instead of your own.

There's a rule of thumb (and it's not universally respected) that a PA system should run about 3 watts per person. That puts you up at 1000 watts (roughly) for 300 seats. That may be louder than you need, to accompany unamplified singers.

Suggestion:

See what's available for rent in your area. Rent something like an FP-80, a pedal unit, an X-stand (or something better), and a Yamaha Stagepas 500 (a 500-watt, reasonably-compact PA system). Try them out at a rehearsal. Move them to a potential concert venue, and see what they sound like.

You'll know, pretty quickly, if they'll suit your needs or not.

. Charles

PS -- IMHO, no built-in loudspeakers in _any_ low-to-mid-price (say, under $4,000) digital piano is going to fill a 300-seat hall. Adjust to the idea of a PA system, or rent an acoustic grand.

#2389944 - 02/23/15 11:18 AM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Bellicapelli]
Kevin_dup1 Offline

We have enough trouble getting a large audience to fill the auditorium as it is! For our main concert of the year, we usually rent an acoustic grand, which is ideal.

#2389946 - 02/23/15 11:21 AM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Charles Cohen]
Kevin_dup1 Offline

Excellent suggestions. I'll see how the pricing is on the recommended instruments and put together a list of options.

#2389975 - 02/23/15 01:26 PM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Kevin_dup1]
ElmerJFudd Offline

I agree with James. Portable slab with built in speakers. Will be fine I think for rehearsals. But inadequate for concert. You'll either need to put it through through the PA or get a decent powered speaker or keyboard amp, preferably with handle or on casters. You'll want a keyboard case with wheels, and a nice foldable table stand, the X type being most affordable but not the most sturdy. Don't forget patch cable and extension cord with at least two outlets for keyboard and amp.

#2389984 - 02/23/15 02:03 PM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Kevin_dup1]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I think even with built-in speakers that wouldn't be enough for the kids to hear it over their singing. It's been my experience that built-in speakers work on for solo or duets/trios. Anything bigger and the sound just doesn't cut through enough for the singers to be able to follow and feel supported/able to sing full out.

You may not need a full-blown PA system for rehearsals, but if you get one for performances, might as well also use it for rehearsals. However, if you are going to use the house PA system, you may need a smaller personal amp (well, two, because you will want to be in stereo) or even a couple of good monitors on stands.

#2390763 - 02/25/15 11:00 AM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Morodiene]
Kevin_dup1 Offline

Very good points about sound systems. We're also looking into some amps.

The choral group consists of adults, by the way (not that they would necessarily sing louder than kids!).

#2390775 - 02/25/15 11:32 AM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Kevin_dup1]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By Kevin_dup1
Very good points about sound systems. We're also looking into some amps.

The choral group consists of adults, by the way (not that they would necessarily sing louder than kids!).

Ya, definitely plan on using amps for rehearsing too, then.

Many digitals will suit the task very well in this case which were mentioned previously in this thread. So then it's just a matter of testing out what you prefer for feel and sound and other features.

#2390784 - 02/25/15 11:58 AM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Kevin_dup1]
lophiomys Offline

Loc: Austria, EU
On The Keyboard Corner forum Aspen Pittman's SpaceStation v3 keyboard amp is very much praised currently, after the first customers got delivered their units.
That might be a portable, affordable option for smaller groups & rooms.

The Keyboard Corner> Head's-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

#2391602 - Yesterday at 10:12 AM Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: lophiomys]
Kevin_dup1 Offline

Thanks for the tip about the amp. I'll take a look.

#2391857 - 42 minutes 47 seconds ago Re: Recommended Digital Piano for Accompanying Choral Groups [Re: Kevin_dup1]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
I checked the SpaceStation's specs. Its low-frequency limit is 100 Hz. So you'll need a subwoofer with it, if you want the lowest octave of the piano (fundamentals 27 - 50 Hz, lots of sound energy between 50 and 100 Hz) to sound right.

Add that to the cost . . .

. Charles

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
The February 2015 Issue of our Free Piano News Newsletter is out now! FREE Piano Newsletter
--------------------
The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
(ad) Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Online Lessons
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
We Have to Teach These Kids to COUNT BEATS!!!!!!
by pianoman9
02/27/15 08:55 PM
SampleTank for iPad Question
by newbert
02/27/15 07:56 PM
CN23 vs CE220 vs KDP90?
by *blackrose
02/27/15 07:23 PM
Guess when this was written
by chopin_r_us
02/27/15 02:52 PM
Price for Yamaha GC1
by ppuff211
02/27/15 02:29 PM
Forum Stats
78,328 Registered Members
43 Forums
161,891 Topics
2,377,641 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission