Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (anamnesis, Allard, 36251, Aly Baracat, 26 invisible), 1228 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2390249 - 02/24/15 07:10 AM "Real Enough"? | Part 4
Philip_Johnston Online   content

New demo in the ongoing "real enough" series, where the aim is to shatter preconceptions about the limitations of digital instruments. As ever, no real pianos were used in the video.

Details of the all-digital setup are in the original thread

Previous demos are listed below:

Real Enough 1
Real Enough 2
Real Enough 3

Comments welcome from believers and skeptics alike...but the real test would be to show the video to someone who has no idea that the instrument might be digital, and therefore isn't actively listening for it. Could they tell?

More to come.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2390251 - 02/24/15 07:30 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
Kumi_27 Online   content

Loc: TG, Poland
"No real pianos were harmed in the making of this video" smile

I can't tell the difference.
Maybe my ears aren't the same as they used to be but it's real enough for me.

On the other hand, I can tell that my own two digitals are not that good.
They start to sound artificial to me...

#2390254 - 02/24/15 07:49 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Very nice performance, bravo!

Originally Posted By Philip_Johnston
Comments welcome from believers and skeptics alike...

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, belief that a sampled piano played solo can fool a person? I'm 100% certain that I can be fooled and that I indeed have been with various recordings. Samplers are just too convenient in the studio.

I suppose that's why I'm so adamant about DP sound quality, I want my DP to completely fool me, and not exist in some uncanny valley just because the manufacturer is too lazy / cheap to do the playback right.

...but the real test would be to show the video to someone who has no idea that the instrument might be digital, and therefore isn't actively listening for it. Could they tell?

I think the real test for the entire package is to take an experienced pianist and sit them down at a variety of things that may be either DPs or APs via double blind and see how well they score. Kind of a Touring Test for DPs.
!IMO!

#2390258 - 02/24/15 08:01 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
Grigou Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
How can we compare a recorded perforance, even if we have a very good amp and speakers (or headphones)?

IMHO it doesn't make sense.

A real test would be to listen directly the player and the pianos in real conditions.
I don't even try to listen theses demos, they couldn't be significant frown

Edited by Grigou (02/24/15 08:04 AM)

#2390259 - 02/24/15 08:01 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]

Now that's a test I'd want front row seats for—great idea smile (The Turing test idea for pianists)

Edited by Philip_Johnston (02/24/15 08:02 AM)

#2390261 - 02/24/15 08:10 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
dire tonic Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
...but the real test would be to show the video to someone who has no idea that the instrument might be digital, and therefore isn't actively listening for it. Could they tell?

No. More very fine playing and a lovely countermelody singing through from 1:55 (would you be tempted to do any post-editing in MIDI or can you invariably come up with what sounds to me like a note-perfect performance?).

I'm still fairly sure it's easier for a sample to convince with these big two-handed chordy compositions than when there's less going on. I expect to confirm those suspicions when I offer up a couple of relatively simple but shaky turns in the upcoming Schumann recital which I've no doubt will neither sound (nor look!) anything like as 'real' as yours.

Still enjoying the Garritan though...

#2390263 - 02/24/15 08:12 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
OK Phil - you`ve convinced us. We need a few days to sort out that music you`re playing, and then bring our offerings to the Alter of Hysterics to appease the God of Eternal Laughter . . . grin

""

#2390265 - 02/24/15 08:14 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
johan d Online   content

Loc: Belgium
i have this quote from the original thread.
Originally Posted By jazzyprof
The question I have for you is how does it feel to play this...

Not how it sounds, but how it feels when playing as i think that is the real difference betweenn an acoustic an a digital.
Jazz is not an intellectual process. You use your intellect to take apart the materials and learn to understand them and learn to work with them, but actually it takes years and years of playing to develop the facility so that you can forget all of that and just relax and just play. Bill Evans

#2390266 - 02/24/15 08:15 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Grigou]
dire tonic Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Grigou
How can we compare a recorded perforance, even if we have a very good amp and speakers (or headphones)?

IMHO it doesn't make sense.

A real test would be to listen directly the player and the pianos in real conditions.
I don't even try to listen theses demos, they couldn't be significant frown

I think the whole idea is that we're judging this against other youtube recordings.

#2390272 - 02/24/15 08:27 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]

Yes - benchmark is other YouTube performances. The setup I'm using is not designed for live performance.

As to note perfect or otherwise...I'm not owning up to how many takes were needed for all this smile Part of the joy of a digital setup in my own studio is that I can record as many takes whenever I like. This particular Rachmaninoff is notoriously tough to play cleanly, and the blooper reel is every bit as ugly as you might imagine.

peterws, I've read your comment a few times, can't figure out what you mean?

#2390277 - 02/24/15 08:35 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
dire tonic Offline
2000 Post Club Member

As to note perfect or otherwise...I'm not owning up to how many takes were needed for all this smile Part of the joy of a digital setup in my own studio is that I can record as many takes whenever I like. This particular Rachmaninoff is notoriously tough to play cleanly, and the blooper reel is every bit as ugly as you might imagine.

I sympathise. I usually end up splicing. At least I feel it's still 'me'...up to a point. Double cameras are a good idea. You're fortunate in having something worth showing from more than one angle

#2390278 - 02/24/15 08:41 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]

Double camera is essential - every performance would have to be a single take otherwise.

Second camera is actually just an iPhone.

#2390280 - 02/24/15 08:43 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I believe he's being snide, but I'm not 100% sure.
!IMO!

#2390285 - 02/24/15 08:53 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
dire tonic Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Double camera is essential - every performance would have to be a single take otherwise.

Second camera is actually just an iPhone.

It works well. I've seen some youtube videos where the second camera is so sub-par - well below iphone quality - it comes across as quite a strong effect, almost like the fly on the wall.

#2390289 - 02/24/15 09:07 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: dewster]
toddy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By dewster

Don't think he's being snide. I think he's being complimentary but using a method of which only he himself is privy (but, of course, I could be completely mistaken).

Edited by toddy (02/24/15 09:08 AM)

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 Ult. / Audiophile 2496
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Monitors: Yamaha HS7s .

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck

#2390292 - 02/24/15 09:16 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
As always, very nice playing! I admire your pianism and must admit I am envy of you smile

On the other hand I am not sure what the exact purpose of your threads is. I am pretty convinced that if we are listening to recorded demos of almost any GB-sized library, we would be fooled into thinking it is a recording of real acoustic piano for the simple reason it is an arranged set of tiny bits that are in fact recordings of a real acoustic piano. I suspect you are rather showing off smile Which isn't neccesserily a bad thing and many great musicians should be proud of their achievements and seeking to broaden their audience. However I am not really sure this is the best sub-forum to do so. In any case I think what you have achieved is nothing short of spectacular, so congratulations, it's really a good job!

Now, I must agree with Dewster. Here we are mostly (if not solely) players' rather than listeners' forum. In this sense, we should be convinced that a digital solution is good by testing it ourselves, sitting at the piano blindfolded and comparing it with the real thing side by side, rather than just listening to a recording.

Edited by CyberGene (02/24/15 09:29 AM)

#2390293 - 02/24/15 09:21 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
Grigou Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Yes - benchmark is other YouTube performances. The setup I'm using is not designed for live performance.

Thank you Philip.

So I understand that it can make sense for videos or audio listeners, but not from the point of view hear of a piano player wink

#2390306 - 02/24/15 09:55 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
Brahms88 Offline

"Real Enough"?

This definitely exceeds the "real enough" standard, and, indeed, approaches the "better than acoustic" threshold.

A performance this authentic-sounding would have been utterly unthinkable ten years ago.

I'm a believer!

#2390308 - 02/24/15 10:09 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: CyberGene]
ElmerJFudd Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By CyberGene
...I am not sure what the exact purpose of your threads is.

Philip is being quite savvy sharing with us... what better place to develop an audience for his youtube channel than "Piano World ® Home of the World Famous Piano Forums!".

Similarly, Piano-man Chuck knows where his audience hangs out.

Keep sharing, guys. We all enjoy some good piano playing, and the fact it's on a digital piano with a digital library makes it all the more interesting - at least for this crowd.

--- the Garritan sounds particularly good on this piece. And I like where you've set the reverb on this recording - if you've changed it at all, it suits it well. You know what I would love to hear... you have all the hardware you need. Could you get your hand on Pianoteq 5 and maybe Ravenscroft 275. I know that would get you a few more repeat plays on the YouTube for sure!

Edited by ElmerJFudd (02/24/15 10:18 AM)

#2390425 - 02/24/15 03:00 PM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
dire tonic Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By ElmerJFudd
Could you get your hand on Pianoteq 5 and maybe Ravenscroft 275. I know that would get you a few more repeat plays on the YouTube for sure!

I have both Garritan and Ravenscroft. These libraries aren't too far apart to my ears, a margin that narrows as the material gets bigger, busier and chordier; both are richly harmonic.

I know Philip mentioned having used Ivory II American - that would be a comparison more worth making, I think. That and pianoteq.

#2390429 - 02/24/15 03:08 PM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: toddy]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By toddy

Don't think he's being snide. I think he's being complimentary but using a method of which only he himself is privy (but, of course, I could be completely mistaken).

I thought I was being a bit poetic.

The thought of all of us here wrestling with that piece o` music after no more than a couple o` days practice . . .the performance results would be hilarious . . . .

Might be good to try something like this . . .who knows what might happen? Like being thrown in the deep end. Sink or swim . . .

""

#2390463 - 02/24/15 04:17 PM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: peterws]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By peterws

The thought of all of us here wrestling with that piece o` music after no more than a couple o` days practice . . .the performance results would be hilarious . . . .

Might be good to try something like this . . .who knows what might happen? Like being thrown in the deep end. Sink or swim . . .

Very sorry peterws, that makes sense now and I certainly didn't mean to think the worst there. While you're at it, could you explicate this comment of yours from another thread?

Ian, most of the folk here will extol not the digital, but the acoustic. This is a constant source of amazement to me and a sad reflection on the fragile mental state of our modern society, where "Black" is of course, the new "white". I cannot say the Acoustic Piano forum adherents suffer from the same paradoxical delusions . . .In fact I know they don`t!

They just throw verbal brickbats at any digital protagonist who comes within range . . .

I'm probably taking that one wrong too.
!IMO!

#2390613 - 02/24/15 10:51 PM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Grigou]

Originally Posted By Grigou

Thank you Philip.

So I understand that it can make sense for videos or audio listeners, but not from the point of view hear of a piano player wink

Ah - but in an age of YouTube, if you're a pianist who is not making videos at some point, you better have a heck of a plan B smile

Given that, the point of these videos is to demonstrate that for pianists contemplating making their own videos, there is no way an acoustic setup could come close now to what's possible with digital instruments at an even remotely affordable price point. (There is no way I could afford a 9-foot concert instrument, a technician on standby, and all the requisite acoustic acoustic recording equipment to make Rachmaninoff recordings whenever I like.)

#2390736 - 02/25/15 09:24 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: dewster]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Very sorry peterws, that makes sense now and I certainly didn't mean to think the worst there. While you're at it, could you explicate this comment of yours from another thread?

Ian, most of the folk here will extol not the digital, but the acoustic. This is a constant source of amazement to me and a sad reflection on the fragile mental state of our modern society, where "Black" is of course, the new "white". I cannot say the Acoustic Piano forum adherents suffer from the same paradoxical delusions . . .In fact I know they don`t!

They just throw verbal brickbats at any digital protagonist who comes within range . . .

I'm probably taking that one wrong too.

I will explicate in order to eradicate confusion (which I am rather good at causing)and hopefully illuminate something of what goes on in my head.

Quite simply, on the Piano Forum they talk such utter banal nonsense about the technicalities of their instruments of choice. This is a constant source of amazement to me and a sad reflection on the fragile mental state of our modern society, where "Black" is of course, the new "white". . . .

I have been drinking, officer . . .

""

#2393266 - 03/03/15 11:20 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
Fscotte Offline

Philip would you mind posting a short clip of the Garritan as dry and close as possible? Everything I've heard so far has had some type of reverb or room sound. I'd like to hear just the dry fundamental tone of the VST. Which would then make a more reliable comparison with Ravenscroft which has a dry "close" setting.

#2393585 - 03/04/15 05:00 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia
Standing ovation! Great job.
But if you really want to hear our opinions:
I feel that the sound is almost too clean. I do not hear the imperfections a real piano would produce: the pedal noise, the note-offs, hammer noises, the slight detuned impurities that make up a 'real' piano.

I guess it's time to make the digital sounds a bit grindier again.

I would love to hear you play Pianoteq.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200, www.lennyzuber.com

#2450547 - 08/14/15 12:29 PM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
Mazeppa79 Offline

Loc: Spain

Given that, the point of these videos is to demonstrate that for pianists contemplating making their own videos, there is no way an acoustic setup could come close now to what's possible with digital instruments at an even remotely affordable price point. (There is no way I could afford a 9-foot concert instrument, a technician on standby, and all the requisite acoustic acoustic recording equipment to make Rachmaninoff recordings whenever I like.)

That's exactly the problem I have as a pianist. Recording a piano is really difficult even with a good piano, good room, good microphones and good audio engineers. It is expensive and you only have 1 or 2 recording sessions to achive your best performance (an small mistake in a live performance doesn't matters, but in a recording that mistake becomes more evident as you listen to it again and again).

Two years ago I started looking for a virtual piano for recording. I have "True Keys American Grand" and despite its "nice color" it is not suitable for classical music. I have tested others VP's and listened lots and lots of demos (official demos and user's demos). I found nothing suitable for solo piano and I thought that I would never find it... until I watched your videos.

"Is this real enough?" Yes, from my point of view it is more than enough. There are a lot of VP's with nice sound (darker, brighter, etc.) but they only sound. Your Garritan CFX sings. For the first time I can hear the music itself and not only the sound in a virtual piano recording. When you play your Garritan I can hear changes in color, I can follow polyphony (Rach's music is quite polyphonic), I can enjoy your phrasing... sometimes when you play "piano" (soft) it sounds "cantabile" and sometimes it sounds intimate. In parts with low basses played "forte" and big chords the sound of the piano is open and wide and it "roars", as we would expect in a real piano. So, for me it is real enough because I can listen to your interpretation and the music itself.

I showed your videos to 2 pianists friends of mine. I told them that it is a virtual piano. What do you think we talked about? We didn't talk at all about the piano. Instead we talked about your interpretation, phrasing, technique, general sonority... about the influence of Rachmaninov in your own music...

I showed your videos to non-musician friends and my family too. But this time I didn't tell them that you play a VP. Again we talked about the music and your performance (but not from a technical point of view, of course). They said things like "hey, he plays louder than you", "I like the rhythm" (about Rachmaninov Op. 33, 4)... and my favourite from my mother about your first Overture: "I didn't know that music but it is very nice" (she only knows the piano music I play).

In conclusion: this piano has a sound enough attractive and enough expressivity to enjoy music.

#2451000 - 08/15/15 11:21 PM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
piaudio Offline

To reach real level, you need to emulate the recorded with analog or vintage tools to give a bit of mix to crystal clear sampling. This will definitely fool anyone.

The problem with all piano virtual instruments is using stereo sampling rather than mono and simulate in virtual environments. The strings itself is mono, why would we need to hear stereo as the dual microphones intend?

Edited by piaudio (08/15/15 11:26 PM)

#2451007 - 08/16/15 12:17 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: Philip_Johnston]
ElmerJFudd Offline
500 Post Club Member

Because you have two ears. One on either side of your head that can discern wether a sound source is more left or right of you, above, beneath, how far away, and if it contains pure tones, complex ones, and what area of the audio spectrum it generates.

For a sample library of a 9 foot acoustic grand piano. Heck, if they'd like to record it in 7.1 I'd be down with that. Just make sure to provide me with the necessary amp and speakers to enjoy the work that went into recording.

#2451043 - 08/16/15 06:27 AM Re: "Real Enough"? | Part 4 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Pete14 Offline

Originally Posted By ElmerJFudd
Because you have two ears. One on either side of your head that can discern wether a sound source is more left or right of you, above, beneath, how far away, and if it contains pure tones, complex ones, and what area of the audio spectrum it generates.

For a sample library of a 9 foot acoustic grand piano. Heck, if they'd like to record it in 7.1 I'd be down with that. Just make sure to provide me with the necessary amp and speakers to enjoy the work that went into recording.

+1

Just checked: I also seem to have two ears; however, one is smaller than the other. cry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Back to School Music SALE!
Save 10% in our online store
Just enter SAVE10 in the coupon box during checkout. *
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
* Sale does not apply to advertising, how old requests, or any non-tangible items. Can not be combined with any other promotions. Ends August 31, 2015
(ad) Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the saddest piano song that you have ever heard?
by Aly Baracat
08/28/15 08:30 AM
Birdcage tuning
by foxpianotuning
08/28/15 07:09 AM
Presentation thread
by Olek
08/28/15 06:56 AM
Thoughts on Voicing the Piano
by Musicdude
08/28/15 06:31 AM
7/8 and 15/16 piano keyboards (ESPKs) the future ?
by jbolt91
08/28/15 05:38 AM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,543 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,470 Topics
2,439,803 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission