2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2390249 02/24/15 08:10 AM
P
OP Offline
P
New demo in the ongoing "real enough" series, where the aim is to shatter preconceptions about the limitations of digital instruments. As ever, no real pianos were used in the video.

Details of the all-digital setup are in the original thread

Previous demos are listed below:

Real Enough 1
Real Enough 2
Real Enough 3

Comments welcome from believers and skeptics alike...but the real test would be to show the video to someone who has no idea that the instrument might be digital, and therefore isn't actively listening for it. Could they tell?

More to come.

"No real pianos were harmed in the making of this video" smile

I can't tell the difference.
Maybe my ears aren't the same as they used to be but it's real enough for me.

On the other hand, I can tell that my own two digitals are not that good.
They start to sound artificial to me...

Michael / GEM RP90 / SX-P50
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Very nice performance, bravo!

Originally Posted by Philip_Johnston
Comments welcome from believers and skeptics alike...

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, belief that a sampled piano played solo can fool a person? I'm 100% certain that I can be fooled and that I indeed have been with various recordings. Samplers are just too convenient in the studio.

I suppose that's why I'm so adamant about DP sound quality, I want my DP to completely fool me, and not exist in some uncanny valley just because the manufacturer is too lazy / cheap to do the playback right.

...but the real test would be to show the video to someone who has no idea that the instrument might be digital, and therefore isn't actively listening for it. Could they tell?

I think the real test for the entire package is to take an experienced pianist and sit them down at a variety of things that may be either DPs or APs via double blind and see how well they score. Kind of a Touring Test for DPs.

G
G
How can we compare a recorded perforance, even if we have a very good amp and speakers (or headphones)?

IMHO it doesn't make sense.

A real test would be to listen directly the player and the pianos in real conditions.
I don't even try to listen theses demos, they couldn't be significant frown

Last edited by Grigou; 02/24/15 09:04 AM.
P
OP Offline
P
Now that's a test I'd want front row seats for—great idea smile (The Turing test idea for pianists)

Last edited by Philip_Johnston; 02/24/15 09:02 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
...but the real test would be to show the video to someone who has no idea that the instrument might be digital, and therefore isn't actively listening for it. Could they tell?

No. More very fine playing and a lovely countermelody singing through from 1:55 (would you be tempted to do any post-editing in MIDI or can you invariably come up with what sounds to me like a note-perfect performance?).

I'm still fairly sure it's easier for a sample to convince with these big two-handed chordy compositions than when there's less going on. I expect to confirm those suspicions when I offer up a couple of relatively simple but shaky turns in the upcoming Schumann recital which I've no doubt will neither sound (nor look!) anything like as 'real' as yours.

Still enjoying the Garritan though...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OK Phil - you`ve convinced us. We need a few days to sort out that music you`re playing, and then bring our offerings to the Alter of Hysterics to appease the God of Eternal Laughter . . . grin

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i have this quote from the original thread.
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
The question I have for you is how does it feel to play this...

Not how it sounds, but how it feels when playing as i think that is the real difference betweenn an acoustic an a digital.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Grigou
How can we compare a recorded perforance, even if we have a very good amp and speakers (or headphones)?

IMHO it doesn't make sense.

A real test would be to listen directly the player and the pianos in real conditions.
I don't even try to listen theses demos, they couldn't be significant frown

I think the whole idea is that we're judging this against other youtube recordings.

P
OP Offline
P
Yes - benchmark is other YouTube performances. The setup I'm using is not designed for live performance.

As to note perfect or otherwise...I'm not owning up to how many takes were needed for all this smile Part of the joy of a digital setup in my own studio is that I can record as many takes whenever I like. This particular Rachmaninoff is notoriously tough to play cleanly, and the blooper reel is every bit as ugly as you might imagine.

peterws, I've read your comment a few times, can't figure out what you mean?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
As to note perfect or otherwise...I'm not owning up to how many takes were needed for all this smile Part of the joy of a digital setup in my own studio is that I can record as many takes whenever I like. This particular Rachmaninoff is notoriously tough to play cleanly, and the blooper reel is every bit as ugly as you might imagine.

I sympathise. I usually end up splicing. At least I feel it's still 'me'...up to a point. Double cameras are a good idea. You're fortunate in having something worth showing from more than one angle

P
OP Offline
P
Double camera is essential - every performance would have to be a single take otherwise.

Second camera is actually just an iPhone.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I believe he's being snide, but I'm not 100% sure.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Double camera is essential - every performance would have to be a single take otherwise.

Second camera is actually just an iPhone.

It works well. I've seen some youtube videos where the second camera is so sub-par - well below iphone quality - it comes across as quite a strong effect, almost like the fly on the wall.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dewster

I believe he's being snide, but I'm not 100% sure.

Don't think he's being snide. I think he's being complimentary but using a method of which only he himself is privy (but, of course, I could be completely mistaken).

Last edited by toddy; 02/24/15 10:08 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
As always, very nice playing! I admire your pianism and must admit I am envy of you smile

On the other hand I am not sure what the exact purpose of your threads is. I am pretty convinced that if we are listening to recorded demos of almost any GB-sized library, we would be fooled into thinking it is a recording of real acoustic piano for the simple reason it is an arranged set of tiny bits that are in fact recordings of a real acoustic piano. I suspect you are rather showing off smile Which isn't neccesserily a bad thing and many great musicians should be proud of their achievements and seeking to broaden their audience. However I am not really sure this is the best sub-forum to do so. In any case I think what you have achieved is nothing short of spectacular, so congratulations, it's really a good job!

Now, I must agree with Dewster. Here we are mostly (if not solely) players' rather than listeners' forum. In this sense, we should be convinced that a digital solution is good by testing it ourselves, sitting at the piano blindfolded and comparing it with the real thing side by side, rather than just listening to a recording.

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/24/15 10:29 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
G
G
Yes - benchmark is other YouTube performances. The setup I'm using is not designed for live performance.

Thank you Philip.

So I understand that it can make sense for videos or audio listeners, but not from the point of view hear of a piano player wink

"Real Enough"?

This definitely exceeds the "real enough" standard, and, indeed, approaches the "better than acoustic" threshold.

A performance this authentic-sounding would have been utterly unthinkable ten years ago.

I'm a believer!

Casio PX-5S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
...I am not sure what the exact purpose of your threads is.

Philip is being quite savvy sharing with us... what better place to develop an audience for his youtube channel than "Piano World ® Home of the World Famous Piano Forums!".

Similarly, Piano-man Chuck knows where his audience hangs out.

Keep sharing, guys. We all enjoy some good piano playing, and the fact it's on a digital piano with a digital library makes it all the more interesting - at least for this crowd.

--- the Garritan sounds particularly good on this piece. And I like where you've set the reverb on this recording - if you've changed it at all, it suits it well. You know what I would love to hear... you have all the hardware you need. Could you get your hand on Pianoteq 5 and maybe Ravenscroft 275. I know that would get you a few more repeat plays on the YouTube for sure!

Last edited by ElmerJFudd; 02/24/15 11:18 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
Could you get your hand on Pianoteq 5 and maybe Ravenscroft 275. I know that would get you a few more repeat plays on the YouTube for sure!

I have both Garritan and Ravenscroft. These libraries aren't too far apart to my ears, a margin that narrows as the material gets bigger, busier and chordier; both are richly harmonic.

I know Philip mentioned having used Ivory II American - that would be a comparison more worth making, I think. That and pianoteq.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission