2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2390417 02/24/15 03:36 PM
P
Parks Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Pianists,

I have learned something new from the tech forum next door. Apparently, una corda is not possible anymore. At full depression of the pedal, the hammer moves/shifts to the right only far enough to clear the left-most string of each trichord, and does not clear at all the left string of a bichord.

They also describe that the difference in color has to do with the hardness and softness of the different areas of the hammer felt, and that that factor contributes more to the color than does the number of strings being stuck.

In the slow movement to Beethoven's Hammerklavier, op.106, he writes una corda, then later poco a poco due ed allora tutte le corde (a completely exuisite passage, by the way!)

Similarly (and even more exuisitly), in the finale of op.110, he writes poi a poi tutte le corde.

Apparently, such passages are no longer realizable according to Beethoven's conception.

What is your relationship to the una corda pedal? Do you experience gradations in color, or merely its presence / absence?

Michael

"Genius is nothing more than an extraordinary capacity for patience."
Leonardo da Vinci
Parks #2390419 02/24/15 03:40 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
There is nothing played on a piano today that sounds like Mozart conceived it. Or Chopin either, for that matter. Pianos have changed dramatically since Beethoven's day

Poetry is rhythm
Parks #2390424 02/24/15 03:57 PM
P
Parks Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Yes, of course.

Well, what's your relationship to the pedal?

Michael

Leonardo da Vinci
Parks #2390432 02/24/15 04:17 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>What is your relationship to the una corda pedal? Do you experience gradations in color, or merely its presence / absence?

To me it changes the sound to a very muffled sound. Usually I don't like it and the change is too big from the normal sound. Also the effect varies hugely from instrument to instrument, another reason to avoid it. I can't remember when I have used it last time.

In the tenor register with 2 strings the unacorda pedal still works as intended?

>Apparently, such passages are no longer realizable according to Beethoven's conception.

Maybe the modern grand is much more to Beethoven's conception than you think. For what I know he was not so satisfied with the sound of the piano of that time and wanted a more robust sound.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Parks #2390452 02/24/15 04:55 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Look at the Adagio sostenuto movement of Beethoven's Hammerklavier Sonata (Op. 106) where at one point (I don't have measure numbers in my edition) he asks for :
first, una corda
then, tutte le corde
then, una corda
then, poco a poco due e allora tutte le corde.

We can't do that on a modern piano.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Parks #2390466 02/24/15 05:24 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by Parks

What is your relationship to the una corda pedal? Do you experience gradations in color, or merely its presence / absence?

The una corda pedal is much more a coloristic device than a volume-controlling one. But because every piano's una corda effect is different (depending on how hard and/or new the hammers are etc), one needs to be very flexible about using it on different pianos, and be prepared to adapt to the instrument.

I only started using the una corda pedal regularly when I finally bought my own (digital) piano a few years ago, but as I also play occasionally on other (acoustic) pianos, I don't practice using it at specific points in the pieces I play, unlike - for the most part - the sustain pedal. With some pianos (old ones especially), there's hardly any difference in sound while with others, the muffling/sotto voce effect is quite marked. The same goes for gradations - it depends on the state of the felt on the hammers, so half-pedal can produce the effect better than full pedal (if full deployment has been used frequently on that piano).

Playing ff with una corda doesn't do an acoustic piano's mechanism any good (so I've heard), but on a digital, it causes no harm at all, as the effect is electronically produced, and always consistent, no matter what the state of the hammers grin . Quite a few concert pianists use it at all dynamic levels for coloristic reasons (watch Sokolov, for instance), and so do I.

Whether or not one uses the pedal, I believe that it should never be automatically deployed when a pp indication appears. Una corda ≠ pianissimo!

If music be the food of love, play on!
bennevis #2390474 02/24/15 05:38 PM
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
Una corda ≠ pianissimo!

Yes! I hear it used this way so often and it drives me nuts. Often they don't realize how much they are changing the color by using it as a 'soft' pedal.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Parks #2390475 02/24/15 05:39 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I use it rarely, mostly for classical/romantic pieces.
On my Yamaha C2, I notice a change in tone color. It sounds a bit like a bell. When I use the silent system I don't notice a difference.

The "poco a poco tutte le corde" would be hard to work, because you go from one chord to two, then to three.
Maybe playing that on an upright might be more in the Beethoven spirit, since there you can gradually move the hammers from the chords...

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
Parks #2390499 02/24/15 06:35 PM
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I have two 19th century uprights with true una corda pedals. They are a pure delight. I don't bother with normal upright left pedals - can't see the point as there's no change in timbre.

Laissez tomber les mains
wouter79 #2390511 02/24/15 07:31 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wouter79

Maybe the modern grand is much more to Beethoven's conception than you think. For what I know he was not so satisfied with the sound of the piano of that time and wanted a more robust sound.

Yes, but he probably was simply imagining more volume, and not anything remotely like the change in coloration that has taken place.

Parks #2390554 02/24/15 09:18 PM
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
What I'd encourage anyone to do, is to find a fortepiano from Beethoven and Schubert's days, and take note of how extremely different the una corda worked on those instruments. In my academy we have a copy of Schumann's Graf fortepiano and a few other fortepianos - the immediate intimacy that the una corda has to offer on those instruments is something completely different than the una corda of the modern grand piano. Consequently, I think we should learn from this, and do what we can to apply this meaningfully on modern instruments. A pianist I know had a project of performing all Schubert's (completed) piano sonatas, partially on fortepianos and partially on modern instruments. What was so amazing when he played on modern instruments was that it sounded NOTHING like a 'normal' modern grand. After years of study, he had taught himself to transform his knowledge of the differences between older and more modern instruments into a meaningful musical statement. These days, I find it increasingly difficult listening to Schubert sonatas performed by pianists who obviously know close to nothing about the instruments Schubert had at his disposal.

biska #2390583 02/24/15 10:30 PM
P
Parks Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by fnork
I think we should learn from this, and do what we can to apply this meaningfully on modern instruments.

I love the way you have phrased this, thank you!

Additionally, a meaningful statement does not neccessarily have to take the form of 'replicating,' in a historically authentic sort of way. But being informed cannot not add meaning.

Michael

Leonardo da Vinci
Parks #2390590 02/24/15 10:58 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Schubert, it strikes me, explored the high treble a great deal in his music. This had been a "new frontier" with the expanding keyboard compass. Sometimes this gets a bit trite sounding on the modern piano, which has a much different tone color and power in that region than the fortepiano. It takes a great deal of skill not to overplay the right hand in Schubert.

As for the una corda, I had a technician who felt that most pianos are not adjusted correctly--the hammers should just barely shift such that the strings don't line up in the same grooves as for tre corda, which gives a much more muffled timbre.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
WhoDwaldi #2390629 02/25/15 01:03 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
Schubert, it strikes me, explored the high treble a great deal in his music. [...]

Strange; I once mentioned exactly that thought to an internationally known performer and teacher with respect to Schubert's chamber music with piano. He seemed to think that that wasn't true.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
chopin_r_us #2390650 02/25/15 03:28 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
I have two 19th century uprights with true una corda pedals. They are a pure delight. I don't bother with normal upright left pedals - can't see the point as there's no change in timbre.

Sounds nice!
Can you post some samples on how it sounds?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
WhoDwaldi #2390678 02/25/15 07:28 AM
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
It's important to understand the main differences between the modern piano and the fortepiano. Fortepianist Bart van Oort said it better than anyone (I'm paraphrasing): the fortepiano, with its fast-decaying tone, was meant to 'speak', while the modern piano, with its sustained tone, was built to 'sing'. Such things are easy to spot by just comparing scores by Mozart or Haydn with much later music by Brahms or Liszt - we find an abundance of short slurs and phrases in the music of the former, and longer lines/slurs in the latter.

The issue of the dynamic scale is equally important. It's not just that fortepianos made less noise than modern pianos, but the una corda also made it possible for more nuances in the softer dynamics than most pianists dare to realize on modern pianos today. And that's a shame. I mentioned this pianist who played all of the Schubert sonatas - well, in his final concert he performed the last three, on a modern Steinway. It sounded NOTHING like a modern Steinway, because after all of those years of study at the fortepiano he had completely absorbed that sound-world and turned it into something meaningful on the modern instrument he had at his disposal. Clearly, this caused some discomfort for some in the audience - some were "really annoyed" that he used the una corda "almost all of the time". Actually, he didn't really use it all of the time, but it was perceived that way since he avoided the standard approach of 'projecting big sound', which the modern grand was basically built to do. I remember how a friend who was about to do his debut in Bartok's 2nd concerto spoke to the piano technicians of the concert hall where the concert was going to be - it seemed their only concern with the concert piano was to make it 'project as much sound as possible'. No talk of color, difference of sound in different registers etc - all they seemed concerned about was volume.

Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
As for the una corda, I had a technician who felt that most pianos are not adjusted correctly--the hammers should just barely shift such that the strings don't line up in the same grooves as for tre corda, which gives a much more muffled timbre.

That's an interesting point. On the other hand, if someone uses the una corda a great deal, then I suppose that the sound will end up less muffled with time, anyway.

Parks #2390743 02/25/15 10:55 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
On my piano, I use the una corda for a tone change. In fact, the change in tone is actually more prominent than the volume reduction so it's not some kind of "easy pp" type pedal.

Feathering it to kick it slightly out of the groove has a rather obvious tone changing effect.

I'm not always sure where this is an effective thing within the larger dynamics of a piece, so I don't use it that much unless I'm basically holding it down for the whole piece, which obviously isn't that often. On my old piano, which kept tending to a very brash bright sound, I could get better sound by just kicking the hammer off its groove a tad, without really pushing it down much more. Those were the times when I would basically keep the pedal feathered a bit for the duration of a piece.

My new piano has a very mellow tone, and the una corda almost closes the whole sound down. There's a place in the Brahms intermezzo I was playing where the una corda is called for. I used it with my old piano, but with the new piano, I actually didn't follow that notation, under the instruction of my teacher.

Parks #2390796 02/25/15 01:24 PM
MRC Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I found some interesting information about the una corda in the Steinway Voicing Manual which is to be found on scribd: http://www.scribd.com/doc/209556122/Steinway-Voicing-Manual#scribd

I learnt something I didn't know before: some pianos are regulated so that the hammer always strikes three strings, even with this pedal depressed: in this case the change in tone colour comes solely from the change in hardness of the part of the hammer that strikes the string:

Alternate Regulation of Hammer Spacing
The traditional factory specification for spacing hammers to strings in New York Steinway grands has placed the hammer so that when it is blocked against the strings with the action in the rest position, about a string’s width of felt is visible on the bass or left side of the hammer. This allowed for the hammer to shift in the una corda or shift position so as to miss the third string and alter the volume and timbre of the sound.

An alternate spacing used in many concert instruments places the hammer slightly more to the left, approaching being centered under the strings.
In the shift position the third string is still struck. The change of timbre and volume is produced by the way in which the hammer is voiced in that part of the hammer that strikes the strings. Regulation of the shift pedal is set to move the hammer to strike the strings in different felt.

Steinway A grand (1919), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
biska #2390873 02/25/15 04:38 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by fnork
The fortepiano, with its fast-decaying tone, was meant to 'speak', while the modern piano, with its sustained tone, was built to 'sing'. Such things are easy to spot by just comparing scores by Mozart or Haydn with much later music by Brahms or Liszt - we find an abundance of short slurs and phrases in the music of the former, and longer lines/slurs in the latter.

The issue of the dynamic scale is equally important. It's not just that fortepianos made less noise than modern pianos, but the una corda also made it possible for more nuances in the softer dynamics than most pianists dare to realize on modern pianos today. And that's a shame.

Thank you for this, and the rest of your post. So much to think about.

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

Parks #2391017 02/25/15 11:02 PM
R
R
My piano, a Mason & Hamlin 6-foot grand, circa 1919, has an interesting effect on the una corda. The piano was used for many years in my family, where all 7 kids played the piano an hour a day. I've never had the hammers worked on.

When you slightly press down the left pedal, you get a slightly "fuzzy" or "tinny", almost like a harpsichord-like sound (but not nearly as pronounced as a harpsichord). It could also be described as sounding like a fortepiano, I suppose. This effect is most pronounced in the middle range of the piano.

Pressing it further slightly affects that tone quality.

Pressing it all the way down is a very muffled sound.

I love this effect. It's like pulling a different stop on an organ. The change of colours is quite pronounced and, to me, a lovely effect.

But my piano teacher says the first thing he'd do with my piano is work the hammers. OK, so my piano isn't "normal", but most other pianos (including his) have practically no effect. They are boring! He also has a M&H but about 20 years old.

Recently I worked on Beethoven Op 110 last half, which has the gradual una corda removed during the last fugal section. It works well on my piano -- really producing an effect of a gradual change in mood, texture, tonal quality, and volume.

Another example: Op 111, Arietta movement it's fantastic for the softer passages.

I enjoy playing the piano extremely quietly more than fff. Anyone can play loudly, but to play very quietly requires a really good piano with careful technique, or faking it with the soft pedal. My biggest complaint about many poor uprights is they are hard to play softly.

Anyway, I ain't gonna ruin this effect by having the piano "corrected".

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission