2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2390279 02/24/15 09:42 AM
R
Roy2 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello,
if a change the exp. pedal on/off in a preset sound(drawbars) then his change the other sounds(piano) also.
Can someone help me how to store a selected preset sound and no the other presets
thanks,
Roy

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Roy,

It's a little difficult for me to understand your question fully, however you appear to be asking if it's possible to enable/disable the expression pedal for individual sounds.

If so, this is definitely possible.

To do so, select the desired sound, enter the '6.Controllers' page of the EDIT menu, then enable/disable the 'Expression' parameter. Finally store the SOUND. It should be possible to do this for individual sounds. I will double-check this later and report back.

Note that some EDIT menu parameters are [C]ommon, meaning that they are applied to all zones and cannot be stored to a SOUND memory. In order to store these parameters, the total configuration should be stored to a SETUP memory.

I hope this helps. If I did not answer your question fully, please provide more information about what you are trying to achieve, the steps you are following, and what is happening.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
Roy2 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you James, this was indeed what i meant. The 'EXPR.' parameter is Common, this is something i oversaw.
greetings from Belgium,
Roy

No problem Roy, happy to help!

Cheers,
James
x

G
G
Just as a curiosity question, what is the purpose of an expression pedal in the MP7? What are the uses it may have for example in piano, EPs and organs? Also, from what I see, the behavior of an expression pedal is not springy like a sustain pedal which goes back to its standard position. I'd just like to expand my knowledge of what I can do with such a pedal.

Casio Privia PX-5S | DMC-122 with Gemini module | Onstage KS7150 Stand | Audio Technica M40x Monitor Headphones | Roland Cube CM-30 PA/Monitor | Galaxy Instruments Vintage D and The Giant VSTs
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Expression pedals are most often used for volume (though on many boards, they can also be programmed to do other things, like a filter sweep, modulation/vibrato, bend pitch, etc.). Volume does not have to be global. For example, you could use an expression pedal to alter the volume of a string layer that is playing under the piano without necessarily also altering the volume of the piano sound. So you could fade a string part in or out under the piano sound, for example. When playing organ, which does not respond to key velocity as piano does, altering the volume with the pedal is a key part of many players' technique. Also, when functioning to replicate the tone of the common Hammond organs, increasing/decreasing volume with the pedal can also alter the tone, most notably in that the distortion/overdrive also varies with the amount of volume.

G
G
Would an expression pedal also be used to control the speed of a rotary speaker in an organ? I'm asking because I'm curious as to what else I could do using an exp pedal while playing jazz organ at church, which is what I'm mainly doing right now with fast songs.

Casio Privia PX-5S | DMC-122 with Gemini module | Onstage KS7150 Stand | Audio Technica M40x Monitor Headphones | Roland Cube CM-30 PA/Monitor | Galaxy Instruments Vintage D and The Giant VSTs
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
For jazz organ, usually the expression pedal would be used for volume, and a foot switch would be used for rotary toggle (if you didn't want to use a hand for a front panel control). However, on some boards, you can also assign the expression pedal to control rotary speed. I don't know about the MP7.

Originally Posted by anotherscott
However, on some boards, you can also assign the expression pedal to control rotary speed. I don't know about the MP7.

I believe the expression pedal can be used to toggle between slow/fast, although this is arguably a waste of the expression pedal as the same functionality can be achieved with a footswitch, as you note.

Alternatively, any EFX parameter can be assigned to the expression pedal, so it may be possible to adjust the exact speed of either the high or low rotor of the rotary effect, although I'm not sure how effective or useful this would really be.

Cheers,
James
x

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission