2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
LLYC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a piano for my 8yr old. The intention is that she would eventually sit for the ABRSM examinations. I see some comments of second hand sellers that some models are good up to a certain grade so with that in mind, what is an affordable piano which I can get to see my kid through the exams?

The online reviews tend to lean more to Yamaha and Kawai anytime although new one's are expensive and is above my budget. We have in Malaysia many people bringing in used piano's from Japan and selling them second hand. I have a few questions :

1.Do brands like Yamaha and Kawai get better with age? Is there something I should look out for when buying a second hand, for eg. is there a piano which would be too old and not worth buying and it is true that maintenance cost gets higher with the age of the piano? I've seen some friends owning second hand Yamaha/Kawai's for 10yrs+ now and they seem to only need to do the routine service/tuning yearly.

2.The price of buying a better model second hand Yamaha(maybe a U2/U3) would open up the option to buy piano's which are either made in Malaysia (eg. Challen), China (Hailun), or maybe a Korea (Yong Chang)if I could stretch the budget a little more. Some people are of the opinion that I should just steer clear from them and not even consider them.

They seem to be strongly against non-Japanese made paino's whereas to the other extreme some just tell me I should buy the locally made one because they can be just as good and with the main reason that it is new.

I found out now that to get a decent 2nd hand piano (Yamaha/Kawai) could cost me around RM8k (for the taller uprights), whereas a new locally made upright piano maybe around RM10k. I think I should be able to get a new Hailun or Yong Chang for around that price too.

I also wanted to add one more factor that I don't really have a big space for the piano at home, is that something I need to take into consideration when getting a piano in terms of the sound the piano produces (eg. I heard some Yamaha's can be too bright and some mellower) or is that just a personal preference?

I wonder if people just biased towards Japanse made paino's in Asia because they've been around for a long time, or is that also just a personal preference? Your views would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As a starting point, I found this video helpful.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Don't be afraid to buy a second-hand piano--the most important thing is the condition of the piano, not it's age, and to some extent, even the brand. The answer to your questions about maintainability and other things is the same.

Pianos do not get better with age. They stay nice with proper maintenance, and if in poor condition can be improved by a good technician.

Find the nicest piano that you can within your budget, and then get it checked out by someone who can assess it for you. Ideally, you want a piano technician to look it over, to make sure it's in good condition and that there are no hidden issues which might need to repaired later. I don't know what an inspection would cost where you live. If, for some reason, you can't get a technician, then take someone who knows pianos well to play it and check it out for you. Perhaps your daughter's teacher would be willing to help in this regard.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission