2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I teach Happy Birthday by ear as soon as students learn the I, IV, and V7 chords. Jingle Bells work well, too. Not a big fan of Twinkle Twinkle.

However, this occurs when students get into the 3A book of the method book series, which takes anywhere from 9 months to five years, depending on the work ethic and aptitude of the student.

I guess I'm in the camp that advocates reading first, and hearing later.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MomOfBeginners
I would expect someone to get the melody and harmony close to correct the first time

This would be performing a piece by ear.

hit note after note and chord after chord until they get the right sound.

This would be practicing/learning a piece by ear.
The more experienced someone is, the faster they will get the right sound (just like the more experienced someone is at reading, the faster they will learn a new piece by reading.)

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaggieGirl
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
For social occasions, all students should learn at least these three:

Happy Birthday

Auld Lang Syne

Star Spangled Banner (US students)

At least that's what we do here.

HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am laughing because I remember telling my daughter, if all she remembers is how to play Happy Birthday I will be happy. How lame to have over 3 years of piano and to not be able just to sit and play it??? I will include your additional songs on my list for her. laugh

You would not believe the number of teachers who cannot do this! Including at the university level!!!

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T

You would not believe the number of teachers who cannot do this! Including at the university level!!!

I believe you, but..........I'm intrigued by why this should be so.

I can do it, and my skill level is so far below the rest of you it's not even on the scale.

gotta go practice
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TimR

I can do it, and my skill level is so far below the rest of you it's not even on the scale.

Because they do not see it as a priority?

Learner
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It's kind of like improve and transposition. Skills which must be practiced to be mastered, and unfortunately, working on these skills subtract from the time available for learning advanced playing technique. Which, as you say, is a matter of priorities.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ben Crosland
I would agree that it is important to encourage aural skills, however, I choose to prioritise reading skills in the first couple of years, otherwise the student is more likely to hit a reading barrier that can pose as a significant threat to motivation.

That has been my experience precisely!

I've had the great misfortune of getting transfer students who were taught to play by ear and ENCOURAGED to play by ear at the expense of reading notes. They've been told what wonderful ears they have and that they should play EVERYTHING (even scales!) by ear.

The result: Horrible fingering! Horrible sight reading! Horrible musicianship! These poor kids stare at their hands the entire time, as if the keys will jump up and switch places once their eyes go look at the score. They resist reading anything, and they ALWAYS ask me to play the piece first as a demonstration. sick

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M

They have a different set of values. You are assigning value to "social music" (perhaps even considering it something fundamental?), but there are some who don't share that value.

I was years out of music college and into a professional career before *anyone ever* asked me to play happy birthday. The first time it happened I was actually kind of shocked by the question. Maybe even hints of offended were going on. You want me to.... what... like the loud, clappy people at the restaurant? Oh. Not that happy birthday. The old one. Ok. Yeah. I can do that. Um.... let's see what key puts it in a good singing range.

Anyway, I'm happy to play that sort of thing now whenever people ask, and I do place value on that part of music. Making music in that way (by ear) is pleasing, and I do teach it, btw.

Last edited by musicpassion; 03/01/15 07:03 AM. Reason: removed extraneous

Pianist and Piano Teacher
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by musicpassion

They have a different set of values. You are assigning value to "social music" (perhaps even considering it something fundamental?), but there are some who don't share that value.

In my younger years, if I told people I could play the piano, the first thing they'd ask for is some common pop tune known to 95% of the population, but totally unknown in the classical world. It was a bit embarrassing, to say the least, so it behooves most musicians to know at least a few "social" tunes. Unless you have very thick skin!

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P

It was a bit embarrassing, to say the least, so it behooves most musicians to know at least a few "social" tunes. Unless you have very thick skin!

I just decided to curtail any social life.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

In my younger years, if I told people I could play the piano, the first thing they'd ask for is some common pop tune known to 95% of the population, but totally unknown in the classical world. It was a bit embarrassing, to say the least, so it behooves most musicians to know at least a few "social" tunes. Unless you have very thick skin!

Why should 'social tunes' be the latest ephemeral rubbish?

I always say that I only play classical music (which is not quite true - I do play pop, but only when jamming with friends), and then treat them to something short and sweet like Mozart's Rondo alla turca, or Chopin's 'Minute' Waltz - I've never had anyone who didn't like them, not even children or teenagers. Obviously, I wouldn't bore them by playing The Art of Fugue grin.

However, I do have a thick skin - if I didn't, I wouldn't be a classical pianist now......

If music be the food of love, play on!
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by bennevis
Obviously, I wouldn't bore them by playing The Art of Fugue grin.

Kudos.

But this is perhaps not as obvious to everybody.

gotta go practice
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yes, but at a party, can you whip off Happy Birthday in a jazzy style?

I remember a time when I was 8 or maybe 9. I was in music theory class, really really bored, I hated music, I was there against my will. We were doing a music dictation, the worse thing in the world. The teacher was playing the notes and suddenly I started to listen like I never listened before. And it was like the C was unique, completely different from the B for example. Each of them with its own individuality. So it was G and E and so on. The only way I can explain it is beforehand I was hearing in black and white, and suddenly I could hear in Technicolor.

Since that day I can play a song right after hearing it. And it is great, but only if I want to show up with friends and I don’t usually want to. Then after that day all my classmates hated me, lol. And the worst is that I can hear every single note, which I hear in Spanish: Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Si.

Imagine every time you want to listen to a Beethoven sonata, you have this kind of mental rubbish going on all the time. All the time, even if the music is very fast. Even if you don’t want to listen to them. I don’t know if it’s a gift or a curse, but in my experience it didn’t really help learning piano itself. It’s not even that useful for improvisation because it interferes with the relative pitch, the more important one. It’s useful for doing transcriptions, which I do sometimes. So I suppose it could be a good skill if you want to be a composer and write easily the music you imagine in your head.

These are the reasons why I go for sight reading. If there is a good skill for helping musical development, that is the one. And that brings others skills in the way. But the skill of recognizing notes doesn’t bring anything but the ability itself. So now, I’m trying to unlearn it so I can develop more useful and musical skills.

B
B
Yes, but at a party, can you whip off Happy Birthday in a jazzy style?

I don't play jazz, but I can do Happy Birthday in the style of Bach, Brahms or Boulez (or Mozart, Mendelssohn or Messiaen wink ).

Jazzing up tunes isn't usual in most circles in the UK, unlike USA - once, I experimented by playing Silent Night with jazz-inflected harmonies at a Christmas party, which raised some disapproving eyebrows. They much preferred Max Reger's arrangement.

If music be the food of love, play on!
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That's really droll!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission