2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
OP Offline
B
Hello, was wondering about what can be done, and how far it is possible to tweak the tone of kawai digital pianos using virtual technician, especially regarding cn25, cn35,cs4 and ca15.

The aspects which interest me the most are cleanness and pureness of sound which, to me, in most digitals are too exaggerated, at least in the basic setting you find them set up when you turn them on at the shop, or in youtube demos: nice but a tad too "clinic".

Most acoustics i love have more of a "muddier" sound ( a part from an occasional slight detune, which is not desirable), as well as a huuuge general resonance, sort of a "rumble" building up while you play, an effect so strong that if the player can't keep it under control, with proper pedaling technique, it grows so loud that it messes up the whole performane: you actually have to work to keep it "clean".

This "roar and rumble" resonance seems to be missing on the digitals i tried: no matter how much you exaggerate pedaling, they stay clean and polished, no sound-mess can be obtained, nor do you have to practice to avoid it.

What possibilities does one have to adjust this by playing with the vt effects of the pianos above, in trying to livening the piano's voice up, to the point where you have to tame it?

I would imagine to work on reverb, string resonance, but don't know all the possibilities offered, and do they effectively alter the voice, adding a bit of the desired "growl", or is this, as i suspect, a post sound emission, organic acoustic effect which simply can't be obtained by sampling just individual keys, as it is done on dp's? Do i need soundboard and ample grand cabinet for this?

Thank you

Last edited by Bellicapelli; 02/28/15 04:44 AM.

Kawai Ca63 - yamaha motif07 ( sold )- Korg01fd ( sold ) - Kawai es120
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Why do you expect some of those models you mentioned to have audio power anywhere near an acoustic piano?

The sound build up and decay of an acoustic, which is always different each time even if the same notes are played, is there because it is the summation of air pressure waves and mechanical resonances radiating throughout the body of the instrument even after the strings have been dampened.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Bellicapelli
Hello, was wondering about what can be done, and how far it is possible to tweak the tone of kawai digital pianos using virtual technician, especially regarding cn25, cn35,cs4 and ca15.

The aspects which interest me the most are cleanness and pureness of sound which, to me, in most digitals are too exaggerated, at least in the basic setting you find them set up when you turn them on at the shop, or in youtube demos: nice but a tad too "clinic".

Most acoustics i love have more of a "muddier" sound ( a part from an occasional slight detune, which is not desirable), as well as a huuuge general resonance, sort of a "rumble" building up while you play, an effect so strong that if the player can't keep it under control, with proper pedaling technique, it grows so loud that it messes up the whole performane: you actually have to work to keep it "clean".

This "roar and rumble" resonance seems to be missing on the digitals i tried: no matter how much you exaggerate pedaling, they stay clean and polished, no sound-mess can be obtained, nor do you have to practice to avoid it.

What possibilities does one have to adjust this by playing with the vt effects of the pianos above, in trying to livening the piano's voice up, to the point where you have to tame it?

I would imagine to work on reverb, string resonance, but don't know all the possibilities offered, and do they effectively alter the voice, adding a bit of the desired "growl", or is this, as i suspect, a post sound emission, organic acoustic effect which simply can't be obtained by sampling just individual keys, as it is done on dp's? Do i need soundboard and ample grand cabinet for this?

Thank you

You are referring to an artifact of physical pianos that needs "technique" to avoid (in excess).
Asking for it to be put back in so that your technique would then need improvement ...seems a little like asking for the smell of manure to be gently wafted into a horseless carriage so that you could deodorize it away.

I have to ask; Why would you WANT that ?

Last edited by R_B; 02/28/15 06:46 AM.
B
OP Offline
B
Why should one want it?

Well, i guess short answer is "because acoustics have it, and if a digital has to mimic, they should have it too". wink

Long answer is, this effect is not to be compared to manure's smell, it actually is desirable on an acoustic. This general resonance, the capability to "sing" and generate harmony *beyond* the single string you hit, thru resonance from soundboard and cabinet together, is what eventually makes the best part of the voice and tone difference from a piano to another, even if they have same action, strings, hammers.

As long as you can control it, it adds to the beauty of sound. And here's my problem: being accustomed to digital instruments since years now, i can learn to perform in the most clean and nuanced way on the digital, but as soon as i play it on an acoustic, after a few notes it goes "boom", i somehow lost ability to control of a beautiful thing, because i don't have it available on my digital equipment.

What i don't know, thus my question, is if today, state of the art sampling tecnology is able to somehow record ( or mimic via modeling) this effect. I know i'm asking a whole lot, since we are talking about an effect which arises while you play piano as an organic whole, while sampling is supposwdly done key by key individually.

B
OP Offline
B
@beemer

Yes, i know. But if it somehow can be sampled, it could be reproduced. Even my hifi has no spruce soundboard or wooden cabinet, but it can reproduce it nicely.

Problem is how do you record it, if it actually generates and grows *after* the keystroke which is sampled?

And here my ignkrance about modern digital pianos kicks in. Simply don't know state of the art.

Last edited by Bellicapelli; 02/28/15 08:52 AM.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
In general you want to jack up the damper resonance. Increasing the key resonance should help to, but the effect is more subtle (in real life) so it will have less of an impact.

Out of the box, the RD-700NX presets need gobs more damper resonance before things start sounding realistic IMO. On most DPs these kinds of resonance are likely DSP effects rather than sampled. On most samplers I believe damper resonance is largely a sampled affair.

Problem is how do you record it, if it actually generates and grows *after* the keystroke which is sampled?

There can be quite complex interactions going on in a real piano when the damper pedal is down, but most of the growth is simply adding energy to the other strings, which happens at the moment when a note is played. Play more notes and you add to the energy, and if you are adding faster than it is dissipating then you get sonic growth. To a first order.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You just defined the difference between an acoustic and a digital. Some would regard it as a shortcoming (there have been noises about reducing resonances in some top end grands) But I would agree the pedal controls this, and it`s part of the package and can be really good. I can see no reason why digital pianos don`t exhibit this feature. It would widen the gap between top and lower end products . . .for a time!

I`ve never really tried the Kawai pianos that supposedly have this feature (you need to use plenty of volume). Perhaps I should.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by dewster
On most DPs these kinds of resonance are likely DSP effects rather than sampled.

Not sure about that. The piano sounds in the Nord Piano Library definitely have sampled damper resonances (to include the damper resonance samples makes the main difference between their different sizes for the same piano sound - "S" versions have none, "M" versions have some, "L" versions have all; "XL" versions also avoid stretching). I would assume that the higher end keyboards of Y, K and R also include sampled resonances but I may be wrong of course.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by maurus
Not sure about that. The piano sounds in the Nord Piano Library definitely have sampled damper resonances (to include the damper resonance samples makes the main difference between their different sizes for the same piano sound - "S" versions have none, "M" versions have some, "L" versions have all; "XL" versions also avoid stretching). I would assume that the higher end keyboards of Y, K and R also include sampled resonances but I may be wrong of course.

I think of Nord as more of a PC sampler. With Roland pedal resonance seems to always be an in-line effect. Yamaha tends to leave it out or give you some weak reverby kind of thing so when it is there it's probably an in-line effect. I assume Kawai also does this in-line as it's adjustable in the piano designer. In general DP designers never met a sample they didn't want to pare down to a couple of seconds max, and resonance doesn't fare so well in a loop, so here we are.

I think sympathetic resonance is a huge, huge deal as it is at least 50% of what makes an AP pleasing to my ears. I think this is one of the reasons people fell in love with the sound of General Music (GEM) piano voices way back when, they were bog standard loopers but had pretty good sympathetic resonance.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Thank you

While others here will be better able to provide some answers for you, I just wanted t comment that you have described here what I had in mind in another post when I said that after playing DPs all the time, I can find it difficult to "control" an acoustic piano. I couldn't really find the words to describe what I meant regarding "control", but you have done so very well here.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
As I now withdraw my tongue from my cheek...
In all seriousness, adding a bit of cabinet boom (for want of a better term) is trivial.
Known resonant frequencies, known notes, vibrations and harmonics that excite the cavity, etc.
(please ignore double entendre opportunities in the foregoing).
It can be represented as yet another item to respond with sympathetic resonance.

I'm still not convinced that stomping on the floor to excite resonances is "musical", but to each their own.

Barn stink or equine aroma therapy ?

Last edited by R_B; 02/28/15 12:28 PM.
M
M
Why should one want it?

Well, i guess short answer is "because acoustics have it, and if a digital has to mimic, they should have it too". wink

Long answer is, this effect is not to be compared to manure's smell, it actually is desirable on an acoustic. This general resonance, the capability to "sing" and generate harmony *beyond* the single string you hit, thru resonance from soundboard and cabinet together, is what eventually makes the best part of the voice and tone difference from a piano to another, even if they have same action, strings, hammers.

As long as you can control it, it adds to the beauty of sound. And here's my problem: being accustomed to digital instruments since years now, i can learn to perform in the most clean and nuanced way on the digital, but as soon as i play it on an acoustic, after a few notes it goes "boom", i somehow lost ability to control of a beautiful thing, because i don't have it available on my digital equipment.

What i don't know, thus my question, is if today, state of the art sampling tecnology is able to somehow record ( or mimic via modeling) this effect. I know i'm asking a whole lot, since we are talking about an effect which arises while you play piano as an organic whole, while sampling is supposwdly done key by key individually.

I know exactly what you mean, but the only way to get better at your technique in handling this is to practice on a good acoustic. This is where digitals fall flat, unfortunately. They've come a long way, but they are not the same as acoustic.

If you are performing on acoustic, you will need to practice on an acoustic. This is why it's best to have both if you can manage it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Why should one want it?

I know exactly what you mean, but the only way to get better at your technique in handling this is to practice on a good acoustic. This is where digitals fall flat, unfortunately. They've come a long way, but they are not the same as acoustic.

If you are performing on acoustic, you will need to practice on an acoustic. This is why it's best to have both if you can manage it.

Once again, this is what I was talking about in another thread when I said that DPs "forgive a lot of sins" with regard to pedalling and dynamics. The reason I purchased the Roland V-Grand was that I "sucked" in the same ways on it that I do on an acoustic piano. Living in a condo, an acoustic piano is not practical for me. As I also said in that thread, I am not advocating that everyone get a V-Grand (I have talked a bit about the circumstances under which I got one) and clearly not everyone likes its sound or the PHAIII keybed, but instead that there are alternatives that might be closer to an acoustic such as Pianoteq with Kawai VPCI keyboard or maybe the Physis modelled piano that I have read some about in these forums - or simply having regular access to an acoustic piano. Anyway, I am glad that I am not the only one experiencing these differences between acoustic and DPs.

Thanks,

Tony

Roland V-Grand
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by TonyB

While others here will be better able to provide some answers for you, I just wanted t comment that you have described here what I had in mind in another post when I said that after playing DPs all the time, I can find it difficult to "control" an acoustic piano. I couldn't really find the words to describe what I meant regarding "control", but you have done so very well here.

Tony

Well, if you tell me this while playing the one piano with a completely modelled from scratch tone - no sampling limits at all - then i get a bit discouraged.

There's another doubt i have. From some answers and comments i read, i'm suspecting this general and organic resonance is something not every digital pianist is used to / wants to hear / would be ready to pay for.

Might be that digital pianos have been around for so much time now, they're becoming an instrument of their own, and while acoustics are progressively rarer, a good part of the digital pianists are not even making the direct comparison to the acoustics anymore.

If this is true, the mutation would be complete and had generated a whole new instrument.

Last edited by Bellicapelli; 02/28/15 02:48 PM.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The only thing you can do is turn up both 'String' and 'Damper' resonance, via Virtua Technician/2. Default level is 5 which gives a relatively easy to control sound. Try to set higher values and see what happens. Last, set touch to normal, and boost bass with the EQ. There's not much more to do. Maybe some long and deep reverb. Don't try this wearing cans smile
It's never going to be a piano. If your technique is already good, you'll switch from one to another quite easily. If not...Some things are easier to play on digital, others on acoustic, which has better keys and is more sensitive.
But some kind of dirty sound is emulated on that engine, enough for your ears to notice it and clean it up.

Last edited by mabraman; 02/28/15 02:54 PM.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Well, if you tell me this while playing the one piano with a completely modelled from scratch tone - no sampling limits at all - then i get a bit discouraged.

There's another doubt i have. From some answers and comments i read, i'm suspecting this general and organic resonance is something not every digital pianist is used to / wants to hear / would be ready to pay for.

Might be that digital pianos have been around for so much time now, they're becoming an instrument of their own, and while acoustics are progressively rarer, a good part of the digital pianists are not even making the direct comparison to the acoustics anymore.

If this is true, the mutation would be complete and had generated a whole new instrument.

Personally, I don't think this changing state of affairs would be a bad thing at all. I do believe that DPs are coming into wider acceptance. If they can be accepted on their own merits, rather than having to be compared to acoustic pianos, I see both good and not so good. The good would be relief from the frustration expressed by many that DPs are still different from acoustic pianos in many aspects considered important. The not so good might be the incentive to continually make DPs provide a better playing experience, since there would be no standard to aim for.

As for modelling vs sampled DPs, there seems to be a range of opinions on this, rather than one is definitely better than the other. There are those here who disagree with my observations about DPs vs acoustic pianos, so I was happy to read that at least two people seem to have similar observations. It is clear to me that we each experience these things differently, and place different levels of importance on the things we do experience. It really comes down to personal preference and budget, as do most buying decisions.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 02/28/15 02:59 PM.

Roland V-Grand
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
IMHO no DP, whether through its native sounds or through sampled software pianos or software modelled pianos, provides the complexity of sound of an acoustic, which is indeed difficut to control. However, software pianos get closer than DP native sounds and so far my ES7 with Pianoteq 5 (modelled software) provides an enjoyable sound and playing experience for me, having come from an acoustic background. Sampled pianos do not for me feel as close to the acoustic experience. My belief is that modelled piano software like Pianoteq will get closer and closer to that complexity, as the modelling algorithms will get more sophisicated in calculating and producing in (almost) real time the sorts of resonances when the player strikes a particular succession of notes with particular velocities and with particular uses, or not, of the pedals. Sampled pianos produce wonderful sounds but based on static samples, with I presume a certain amount of software manipulation (modelling?)for greater realism. A hybrid, samples plus modelling, system may win out, but how can there be so many combinations of sampled sounds - with the time taken to retrieve each particular one - to enable a purely sampled piano to sound realistic?

To the OP: assuming you have a computer near enough to your DP and it's not too ancient, try Pianoteq's trial software: works for 20 minutes at a time with a few notes disabled and the functionality to tweak the sound in many ways. You may find you are quite a bit closer to that hard to control "rumble". Not fully by any means, but closer.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I like the sound of piano, not sure I'd change that. But I would like to see more basic ergonomic work done regarding the key actions, rather than the blind copying of existing AP weighting and quirks. Try to find something that most would agree is easier to control and less injurious to play.

M
M
I like the sound of piano, not sure I'd change that. But I would like to see more basic ergonomic work done regarding the key actions, rather than the blind copying of existing AP weighting and quirks. Try to find something that most would agree is easier to control and less injurious to play.

Good luck coming up with any kind of majority or consensus on that! wink

Really, you can't get people to agree on the kind of feel an acoustic piano should have, or even a majority opinion from what I've seen. And for what sound? Strictly piano? Many keyboards compromise on adhering to an acoustic piano model to accommodate organ and synth sounds, so I'd think with all the different feels out there a person is likely to find what they feel is ideal for their playing.

While I get what you're saying, you are probably better off seeking out something that doesn't follow the keyboard model in general if you're looking for more ergonomic. It definitely was not designed with that original intention, only that a person could play it. Which begs the question: is there a better way to play a piano sound than a keyboard, or is the sound of a piano intrinsically tied to the keyboard? Kind of like playing strings on a keyboard is awkward and unrealistic at best when compared with an actual violin, would another mode of playing piano sound be less than ideal?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
But I would like to see more basic ergonomic work done regarding the key actions, rather than the blind copying of existing AP weighting and quirks. Try to find something that most would agree is easier to control and less injurious to play.

Considering that classical concert pianists practice up to 8 hours a day since they were....in diapers, and most don't suffer any injuries, and continue to perform to a ripe old age (Mieczyslaw Horszowski played his last concert at 99), I think that playing the piano - with good technique - isn't at all injurious to life or limb, nor even to health.

IMO, the only 'quirk' of acoustic piano action that isn't necessary, or useful, is the grading - and it's significant that the best concert grands have less pronounced grading than cheaper smaller grands (especially baby grands), and prestige manufacturers like Fazioli strive to almost eliminate it entirely.

A good grand - especially concert grand - that's well-regulated is one of the most satisfying instruments to play, that's ever been invented by man or beast or alien. You have complete control from pppp to ffff, complete control over weighting of notes within textures, bring out inner lines at will, whisper sotto voce, sing bel canto like a diva, growl like a grizzly, explode like a stick of dynamite, imitate an orchestra or brass band or organ or even guitar........

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission