2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 6 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2392078 02/28/15 03:59 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I've been lurking here for the past few months, soaking up information, piano shopping, and generally spending most of my waking hours devouring everything I could about grand pianos. I'm an old guy, just trying to get back on the train I jumped off of at 10 years old. I'm certainly not new to music as I've sang and played guitar for 45 years but I'm definitely new to the discipline of piano practice. Thankfully there is mountains of encouragement here and no distain for the neophyte. Strong opinions yes...but generally seasoned with grace and that's encouraging.

I had determined early on that I'm too old to jump from piano to piano and so I wanted to buy the best piano I could afford, and besides, life is just too short to practice on an instrument that doesn't keep calling you back for more! After considering my budget and then getting into the C3 or RX-3 debate with myself, I settled on a 5 year old RX-3. Like new, barely played, in a satin ebony finish. I really thought I wanted a glossy piano but after spending a day with this one I'm very happy I went satin. It's very classy looking but a little difficult to wipe the fingerprints off. It rode 450 miles via piano mover to my Home on Feb 23rd and while it arrived it perfect condition with it's freshly buffed out case, it needs a good tuning and as it continues to settle in gets a little worse. The dampers on a dozen lower keys don't damp well but I was told that things shift in transit and it may just be a pedal adjustment. The sound is really wonderful and the action is heavier than a C3 but lighter feeling with each passing day. I'm extremely happy with my choice. I was expecting to see the BLAK decal inside the case with a 2010 as I think they started about that time. The salesperson said it IS a BLAK but I've not been able to find out what might have changed from 2010 until now. I'm sure Kawai Don would know.

Anyway, forgive the long first post but I wanted to say how much I appreciate all the great information on this site. I sincerely feel like I'm not alone in my journey!

(Not sure how to post photos yet)

Phil

Yamaha P22 in satin ebony
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I use photobucket but I think there is a way to add photos here as well. I'm not sure how to do the latter.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!

I too quit piano lessons in about the 5th grade. Regret it now, of course. I hope this piano works out well for you.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

B
OP Offline
B

Yamaha P22 in satin ebony
R
R
Congratulations, enjoy the new piano!

C
C
Phil- congratulations on your purchase. I bought a Kawai 5'10" (KG-2D) 25 years ago and I've been very satisfied.

I am looking around now at 7 footers, and have played a bunch of pianos- I prefer my current Kawai to some I've played that cost an awful lot more!

Any shipment "shifting of parts" ought to be something a competent technician will fix for you quickly. My Kawai has been moved nine times over the years and once had a problem with dampers because the movers had not properly reinstalled the pedal assembly- but easily resolved.

Best of luck with your new Kawai!

Jack of many styles- not very good at any of them!

Loving my new to me Mason Hamlin BB
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Very nice! Congratulations.

David

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission