Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
93 registered (36251, arkeetar, Agfinguy, anotherscott, Anita Potter, 25 invisible), 1017 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2392154 - Yesterday at 07:52 PM Can you folks give any input about "unweighted" keybeds?
jcdamascenojr Online   content

Hi everyone,

I know this forum is used mainly for DPs, but I guess many of you have some experience with controllers/synths/arrangers too, right? So, I need keys that I can take easily on the bus to jam with a friend on weekends, and a small MIDI controller would fit the bill. I don't need any fancy capabilities, just good keys. That's what I'm after:

1) A nice 49 keybed
2) Mod/pitch wheel
3) Octave up/down buttons
4) Sustain input
5) USB-powered (non-proprietary plug), class-compliant for iOS
6) As compact and lightweight as possible, relatively well-built
7) Under $200 new

The following would be nice, but not mandatory:

8) Aftertouch
9) Expression pedal input
10) MIDI out
11) Extra knobs/pads/slides (as long as it doesn't make it bigger)
12) External power supply, on/off switch

So, these are my options:

- Roland A-49: Seems to be the gold standard. Great reviews, everyone likes the action. Even comes with a cool shiny red light. The downside? Cost twice as much as any other on the list...
- Alesis Q49: Ok brand, I'd imagine an ok instrument, right?
- Line6 Mibile Keys 49: Well known among guitar players. Again, I'd imagine an ok instrument.
- Behringer UMX490: The only one I've played before. Didn't like it at all, keys were too stiff, worse than my old cheap PSR. Included as an example of what I *don't* want.
- M-audio Keystation 49: Some like, some hate. Seems to be on the budget side along with Behringer. Which is fine for me, as long as it's good.
- Samson Carbon 49: Haven't heard about the brand before, but seems well-known.
- Acorn Masterkey 49: For what I get it's just a re-branded generic controller. Looks good on pics/vids tough.

So basically what I want to know is:

- Have you played any of these (or their 25/61 variation)? What's your opinion?
- Some of them state "synth action" (unweighted?), some "semi-weighted"... Do you think there's a difference? They all seemed pretty standard spring-loaded thin plastic keys... What exactly is "semi-weighted" to begin with??
- What kind do the famous synths such as DX7, M1, D50 have?
- If there's indeed a difference, should I be looking at a unweighted or semi-weighted keybed for general playing, piano to synth? (assuming I'll have a proper 88 hammer-action for serious playing)
- Do you think the Roland worth twice as much as the rest or will I just be paying for the brand? On pics the keys seem to be smaller (and rounder) than standard ones, is is correct? Does it matter?
- and so on...

Yes, I would love to just go to a store and try all of them out, but here in Brazil it's not that easy (most are only available online). So any input is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2392172 - Yesterday at 09:03 PM Re: Can you folks give any input about "unweighted" keybeds? [Re: jcdamascenojr]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Without being able to test them yourself, it will be a shot in the dark. However, you can go with the name brands that have good warranties and good reviews to help narrow things down.

I'm not well-versed in MIDI controllers, so I will refrain on speaking on those models and leave it to those who know better.

Look up lots of reviews on these. Of course, no matter how good something is, you will find some yahoo going in there and saying how awful it is etc and give it 1 star. Sometimes it turns out to be a disgruntled employee and has nothing to do with the product, but still if there's a lot of that and with the same issue, you may not want to take a chance on that controller.

I don't think you're going to get afertouch on any of these, btw. That's generally reserved for high-end synths (but it's good to dream, eh?).

#2392177 - Yesterday at 09:13 PM Re: Can you folks give any input about "unweighted" keybeds? [Re: jcdamascenojr]
Auver Offline

Loc: Norway
What about the Novation Launchkey 49? I haven't tried that one myself, but I have a Novation SL MKii and it has the best synth-key action I've ever played. You should check if launchkey has the same action as the SL MKii.

#2392195 - Yesterday at 10:01 PM Re: Can you folks give any input about "unweighted" keybeds? [Re: jcdamascenojr]
rungabic Offline

I'm wondering why you don't have the generally highly regarded Akai Professional MPK249 on your list? I have the 61-key version, as a supplement to my Kawai DP.

Edit: oops -- I glossed over the "under $200" part...the Akai is $399 new, but maybe you can find a gently used one, particularly if people start dumping them for the newly announced "Advance" series.

Edited by rungabic (Yesterday at 10:03 PM)

#2392198 - Yesterday at 10:07 PM Re: Can you folks give any input about "unweighted" keybeds? [Re: jcdamascenojr]
ElmerJFudd Offline

Controller is a good idea size wise. Of the lot, yeah I'd go with the Roland A49. But on the bus, how are you going to power it and hear it? You'll have to hook it up to a laptop or iPad or something, and those speakers are cr@p to hear with the background noise of a bus. You'll be able to hear it yourself with phones....

Something cooler might be a Roland Juno-Di which runs on batteries. Has its own sounds, doesn't need to hook up to a 'puter of some kind. Headphones are good for you to hear it. Hmmm, with friends....

There are battery powered amps.
KC110
But not cheap.

The Jam Hub or something like it is cool for a few people to plug in and hear each other with phones. Needs a power supply though... hmmm

I think this plan needs to be planned out some more before you spend the $.

#2392210 - Yesterday at 10:25 PM Re: Can you folks give any input about "unweighted" keybeds? [Re: jcdamascenojr]
pspicer Offline

Loc: California, USA
I used the M-Audio Keystation 49 as a controller for Ivory II and for iPad music apps. This was while doing international travel and was the best portable solution I could find.

It meets all of your criteria 1 through 7, not sure about the after touch etc. (I am learning Classical piano).

I can recommend the Keystation in isolation from the other candidates as I have no experience with them; it met my needs and was surprisingly playable.

Good luck in your search.

#2392297 - Today at 06:01 AM Re: Can you folks give any input about "unweighted" keybeds? [Re: jcdamascenojr]
leesan Online   content

DX7 an M1 keybeds are HQ semi-weighted.
you only can find it on middle or high priced master keyboards because it is an expensive mechanical system.

For instance you can play semi-weighted on M-audio Axiom 49 ( but not on Keystation 49...)
I think you must increase your budget...

#2392300 - 59 minutes 11 seconds ago Re: Can you folks give any input about "unweighted" keybeds? [Re: jcdamascenojr]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Don't worry about semi-weighted vs. unweighted. No matter which of those you look at, some of them are decent and some of them are terrible (and this being as subjective as it is, people won't even always agree about which is which). The point is that the feel of the individual board is much more important than which of those categories it falls into.

I believe the Samson Graphite 49 has everything you want except an expression pedal input. It has an above average feel, and it has aftertouch.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
The February 2015 Issue of our Free Piano News Newsletter is out now! FREE Piano Newsletter
--------------------
The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
(ad) Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Online Lessons
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rosalyn Tureck plays J.S.Bach - Prelude and Fugue in A Minor
by pianoman9
03/01/15 07:33 AM
How long is this piano? What does "Cola" mean?
by David-G
03/01/15 07:18 AM
Tchaikovsky octaves
by Hakki
03/01/15 05:35 AM
Let's talk about dynamic range
by CyberGene
03/01/15 02:09 AM
Anyone worked on yamaha hybrid pianos? N1, N2, N3, NU1
by Saskatuner
03/01/15 01:27 AM
Forum Stats
78,337 Registered Members
43 Forums
161,946 Topics
2,378,157 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission