Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
122 registered (ando, Anita Potter, A441, A Guy, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1373 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2392247 - Today at 02:09 AM Let's talk about dynamic range
CyberGene Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
I have mentioned this in another thread but think it deserves its own thread.

There is this infamous problem with most of Kawai digital pianos. When you use normal touch setting, the piano voice is too jumpy in its sound volume. By switching to heavy, this is partially fixed since higher velocities are harder to obtain unless banging the keys but that's not a good solution because you lose the timbre variation and it becomes very monotonous. It would be better to be able to compress the whole dynamic range (versus cutting the high velocities off) as in Synthogy Ivory, which means you stay in normal touch and can reproduce easily both ppp and fff however the difference in sound volume is in a narrower dynamic range yet you keep the huge timbre variations range. Please note this isn't a simple compressor. A compressor acts dynamically on the sound and can change the volume of a single piano sample differently throughout its length. In contrast, the proposed dynamic range limiter will change the whole sample volume by a fixed amount to make all them fit the narrower range.

What do you think of that? Do you know a digital piano having such dynamic range limiter that is specifically piano sample oriented?

Edited by CyberGene (Today at 02:12 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2392255 - Today at 02:48 AM Re: Let's talk about dynamic range [Re: CyberGene]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
I can't help with your DP question since I'm using instead a VPC1 + libraries some of which have their own controls for widening or narrowing both dynamic range and playing velocity range.

But your posts seems to support what I was getting at in another thread (and still being discussed elsewhere); depending on settings, some DPs and sample libraries really can be more difficult to control than some APs. The relative difficulties depend on which DP (and settings) and which AP.

#2392269 - Today at 03:35 AM Re: Let's talk about dynamic range [Re: CyberGene]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dynamical range is indeed crucial and it can be too narrow OR too broad (some Y pianos are overdynamic in volume, some R pianos are overdynamic in timbre, some Nord sounds lack dynamics).

Hence dynamics should clearly be adjustable. We need two adjustable parameters, in fact (ideally, curves):

1. amplitude dynamics
2. timbre variation

#2392270 - Today at 03:38 AM Re: Let's talk about dynamic range [Re: maurus]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By maurus
Dynamical range is indeed crucial and it can be too narrow OR too broad (some Y pianos are overdynamic in volume, some R pianos are overdynamic in timbre, some Nord sounds lack dynamics).

Hence dynamics should clearly be adjustable. We need two adjustable parameters, in fact (ideally, curves):

1. amplitude dynamics
2. timbre variation

In Kontakt's on-board editing you have them both. Additionally, the contained library will sometimes provide its own independent control of both.

#2392276 - Today at 04:44 AM Re: Let's talk about dynamic range [Re: CyberGene]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I know, but that doesn't help with stand-alone instruments.

#2392279 - Today at 04:53 AM Re: Let's talk about dynamic range [Re: maurus]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm not familiar with the MP11 or any of the more recent mid-priced DPs but I'd be surprised if some element of timbre control isn't available - we know dynamics can be adjusted.

#2392285 - Today at 05:17 AM Re: Let's talk about dynamic range [Re: maurus]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By maurus

A very generalised but frankly true basic assessment! The Nord's problems tend to be in the top two octaves. But I agree with you. Roland's over dynamic timbre changes (frustratingly on some notes only otherwise you could probably fix it with tweaking) is so frustrating because in so many respects they've nailed it. Talking purely about Supernatural here. I wonder if there are piano voices on RD-800 not afflicted. I could possibly be tempted if so.

However I wasn't aware of an "infamous" problem with most Kawais in this respect.

#2392293 - Today at 05:53 AM Re: Let's talk about dynamic range [Re: EssBrace]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By EssBrace
The Nord's problems tend to be in the top two octaves.

Yes, unfortunately. On the plus side, in most live settings, a somewhat narrow dynamic range may actually be desirable.

#2392334 - Today at 08:53 AM Re: Let's talk about dynamic range [Re: CyberGene]
WillMedic Online   content

Am currently working out how to set up my CS4 best for different pieces. I see what you mean about narrow dynamic range but to be honest it is not enormously different to comparable pianos I played from Yamaha (though I haven't played Roland). However not sure why you would lose timbre variation if you change to heavy action, surely the timbres are still accessible, just triggered by different pressure of hitting?

I find playing around with the brilliance can help

#2392355 - 11 minutes 3 seconds ago Re: Let's talk about dynamic range [Re: WillMedic]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
I think there are three separately-adjustable things here: (I'm thinking in DP terms, not acoustic-piano terms):

1. The "touch curve" -- the relationship between how hard you strike a key, and the MIDI velocity that is generated;

2. The curve that relates "MIDI velocity" to _volume_ (loudness);

3. The curve that relates "volume" to _timbre_.

Pianoteq (even Pianoteq Stage) gives you access to (1) and (2). (1) is "direct" -- you can draw it on the screen.

(2) is controlled by a "dynamics slider", which sets the overall dynamic range (ppp to fff) of the piano. In my experience, 30 dB or less is dull. 60 dB or more is unplayable (for me). The volume is too sensitive to my touch, and I can't play a scale evenly.

I don't think you can control (3) in the Stage version.

I know that Roland, in its high-end models, does have a parameter for "How much timbre variation with increasing loudness do you want?". It sets (more or less) the "SuperNaturalness" of the sound. That's (3).

. Charles

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
The February 2015 Issue of our Free Piano News Newsletter is out now! FREE Piano Newsletter
--------------------
The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
(ad) Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Online Lessons
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rosalyn Tureck plays J.S.Bach - Prelude and Fugue in A Minor
by pianoman9
03/01/15 07:33 AM
How long is this piano? What does "Cola" mean?
by David-G
03/01/15 07:18 AM
Tchaikovsky octaves
by Hakki
03/01/15 05:35 AM
Let's talk about dynamic range
by CyberGene
03/01/15 02:09 AM
Anyone worked on yamaha hybrid pianos? N1, N2, N3, NU1
by Saskatuner
03/01/15 01:27 AM
Forum Stats
78,356 Registered Members
43 Forums
161,946 Topics
2,378,203 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission