2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
9190 #2392703 03/01/15 11:57 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Just to clarify one point:

Originally Posted by 9190
By the way I was disappointed that KAWAI cut the set of sounds in MP11.

The MP11 is the successor to the MP10. The MP10 featured 27 internal sounds, while the MP11 features 40, so in actual fact the number of sounds has increased.

As for organ sounds, the MP11 is marketed as 'the pianist's stage piano' - the concept emphasises acoustic piano realism and quality. Musicians that wish to play organ (classical or drawbar) will likely prefer to use an unweighted keyboard action. If the MP11 included a selection of pipe organ sounds, I expect there would be criticism from those that wish to play drawbar organs. In order to prevent such discussions, the decision was made to omit such sounds from the MP10/MP11.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
OP Offline
K
I think MP11 has too many sounds. It will be enough to me with the acoustic pianos section. The other two sets of sounds just add clutter and red lights.
After thinking seriously in returning it the first day I'm getting to see some positive points. Still need more time to get used to it and improve settings

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
the MP11 is marketed as 'the pianist's stage piano' - the concept emphasises acoustic piano realism and quality. Musicians that wish to play organ (classical or drawbar) will likely prefer to use an unweighted keyboard action.

I'm here! smile I'm musician, classical pianist, who wishes sometimes to play classical organ pieces, and who doesn't want to use for that an extra keyboard with unweighted keyboard action. ) And if I had MP11, I would looking not for other keyboard with unweighted action, but for external organ sound sources (Hauptwerk, GrandOrgue etc), trying to resolve this problem, instead of just playing, using internal MP11's sounds. I am convinced that the desire of classical pianist to have keyboard with classical organ sounds quite natural.

MP7 is not unweighted keyboard action type, but it has classical pipe organ sounds. And I can easily perform and enjoy organ pieces. All the more, CA95/65 with Grand Feel pianist action and CA97/67 with even more perfect Grand Feel 2 action – all have Church Organ, Full Ensemble etc. sounds. Are these pianos aimed not for pianists? Furthermore:
However, organs are typically velocity insensitive (i.e. their character/volume does not change depending on the speed at which notes are played). Therefore when selecting the MP7's tonewheel organ mode, the keyboard automatically selects a fixed touch curve. As such, we no longer need to use all three sensors to measure velocity, so can instead freely select which sensor (s1, s2, s3) should be used to trigger the note.

This makes the keyboard action feel very 'fast', and allows authentic organ-style playing on a weighted action that would otherwise be more difficult to achieve.

So, KAWAI knows how to make organ playing more suitable on a weighted keyboard action.

If MP11 is marketed as 'the pianist's stage piano' what such a sounds, like strings, pads, basses, Vibraphone, Marimba etc. doing there? Or why this choice? For example, I would have gladly changed the sounds of Vibraphone, Marimba or basses on the pipe organ sounds, which are much more important for me as a classical musician. This explains why I'm sure that cutting sound set is not a good idea. People and their needs are different even if we talking only about pianists. So, as a professional classical pianist I don't welcome the concept of KAWAI relatively MP10/11 etc. which is cut classical organ sounds.

The MP11 is the successor to the MP10. The MP10 featured 27 internal sounds, while the MP11 features 40, so in actual fact the number of sounds has increased.

I know about 27 internal sounds in MP10, that's why I mentioned MP8II. OK I would say like this: Both, MP10 and MP11 are successors of MP8II (they are all in one category). And both have cut sound set in comparing with MP8II. And I don't welcome that.

I respect and accept politics of KAWAI. But it can not affect my opinion as a customer.

My kind regards.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Personally, I would have bought the MP11 for its GF-action, if it only would have had the organs and drawbar-mode of the MP7. The MP11 would still be "the pianists piano", but with some organs for the fun of it.

9190 #2392877 03/02/15 12:04 PM
M
M

If MP11 is marketed as 'the pianist's stage piano' what such a sounds, like strings, pads, basses, Vibraphone, Marimba etc. doing there? Or why this choice? For example, I would have gladly changed the sounds of Vibraphone, Marimba or basses on the pipe organ sounds, which are much more important for me as a classical musician. This explains why I'm sure that cutting sound set is not a good idea. People and their needs are different even if we talking only about pianists. So, as a professional classical pianist I don't welcome the concept of KAWAI relatively MP10/11 etc. which is cut classical organ sounds.

I think the simple answer is that strings, pads, etc. are often used in combination (layered) with other sounds like piano and e-piano, so it made sense to have those on there. I agree with the decision not to have organ sounds on there, even though I do love to use organ sounds. I just wouldn't enjoy playing it on an action that is designed to imitate a piano, and I prefer the simplicity of what is available rather than adding drawbars. Of course, there is the workaround of using software organ sounds, which is quite easy to setup with the MP11 as a controller.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I think the simple answer is that strings, pads, etc. are often used in combination (layered) with other sounds like piano and e-piano

How about Vibraphone, Marimba? Or how about
CA95/65 with Grand Feel pianist action and CA97/67 with even more perfect Grand Feel 2 action – all have Church Organ, Full Ensemble etc. sounds. Are these pianos aimed not for pianists?
Maybe someone still needs those organ sounds even in keyboards with top piano actions?

Originally Posted by Morodiene
I just wouldn't enjoy playing it on an action that is designed to imitate a piano
I would enjoy. Because I accept only weighted piano type keyboard actions. I hate light and lifeness spring keys, which can be found on any 61-key keyboards. Probably real organs have similar type, but I don't care since I'm not an organist, never played it and don't plan it, and that is the reason why I not only would like but even would preferred to have organ sounds on weighted keyboard action, no problem for me. In classical repertoire for pianists there are many pieces which were initially written for organs, harpsichords etc. And good pianists can successfully imitate various techniques and methods of performance, simulating the playing various musical instruments. This is called orchestral thinking and the availability of appropriate technique. And I'm talking not about keyboards, which are "imitate a piano", I'm talking about real pianos.

Organ | Piano | Piano

P.S. And I would never say that there is no sense to have something somewhere, if personally I don't need it, but someone needs. Because, as I said it before – people are different and they have different needs and possibilities.

C
C
There's a demo MP10 at one of our local music shops for $2100CDN.. a new MP11 is $3400CDN. Is an MP11 "$1300" better over the MP10?

What's the reliability like on these keyboards?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
The reliability of these keyboards could be measures by the period of time, you'd get On-Site-Warranty for them.

9190 #2392962 03/02/15 04:34 PM
FWIW real classical (church)organs have enormously long keys . . . and a lovely light touch. Well, the digitals I played did . . .and the real pipe organs sometimes have an electronic action which is similar. The non electronic action is heavier and not always pleasant depending on it`s condition . . .

The real pipe organs make the woodwork rattle, and put you in fear of your life when you play them; there are tons of metal pipes etc directly over your head . . .

Digitals put you in fear of te deum ad nausium . . .the woodwork doesn`t rattle, but you inwardly groan. Truly awful but they might have improved by now. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
K
K
Originally Posted by clobbo
There's a demo MP10 at one of our local music shops for $2100CDN.. a new MP11 is $3400CDN. Is an MP11 "$1300" better over the MP10?

What's the reliability like on these keyboards?

There are 2 aspects to this question:
1- New vs Demo unit
2- MP10 vs MP11

The MP10 price for a new unit used to be approx. $2800 CDN, before the MP11 was announced. So the real question should be, is the MP11 "$600" better than an MP10? And then, is a new unit "$700" better than a demo one? (1300-600=700)

Ultimately, only you can decide this, depending on the actual condition of the demo MP10, and your keyboard touch and sound preferences.

9190, you raise some excellent points, and I do not disagree with your overall argument.

However, the fact remains that the MP11 developers decided not to include organ sounds within the instrument, just as they opted not to include pitch bend/modulation wheels on the VPC1.

Some of these decisions frustrate a handful of our customers, however I believe the majority appreciate and understand the direction and concept that we wish to pursue.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
OP I also have a Steinway. It happens to be a brand new B where my tech got a blank check for voicing and regulation. That being said, when I go upstairs and play my MP11 I have a blast. The feel is the closest I've ever had on a digital to a real piano.

However...

Out of the box, the MP11 was all too much like a real grand piano...it needs to be endlessly adjusted to find that sweet spot and I wasn't impressed initially either. Add some low-cost studio monitors (I'm using JBL 305s on stands) and REALLY dive deep into that Virtual Technician. You'll be surprised what adjusting the stretch tuning or tweaking the sounds will do. Basically, what I'm saying is it requires a lot of faith and patience to get right. I think you made the right decision and you should give it some time.

That being said, I will say Kawai's EX sound on board is not immediately pleasant to my ears, but it could be because I'm a Steinway fanboy. But I think I've gotten it to a point where I'm really loving the result. I grew up on digitals and the B has been my first acoustic piano, but I will say I would choose my MP11 over most uprights.

And James, I see the reasoning behind some of these decisions, but as sound modules are quickly dying off, it seems more important than ever to pack as much into a good stage piano since I also doubt the MP11's target demo is going to want to have a laptop propped open on it like Moby when they're on stage.

Last edited by Markarian; 03/06/15 01:35 AM.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for sharing your experience. I still don't find the MP11 better than the acoustic or close. What I have done so far is to get a pair of Mackie MR5mk2 powered monitors and just played with settings to see where it takes you, not fine tuning. I find the sound too clean and as another thread discusses with lack of the soundboard rumble using pedal or not round with chords. I can't find better ways to describe it. Will keep trying

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission