2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Way to go, sino!

I am having trouble finding a sweet spot for the microphone and setting recording parameters that are not overdriven by the section of big chords. The good news is that at least I am changing dynamic level.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good job everyone for already recording. Will try and record this weekend the second novelette. The piece needs work though so I'll have some wrecks, pauses, page turns, etc. But It'll give me an idea how it will sound. I think I'm up to the "Äußert rasch und mit Bravour" (Very quick and with bravura) speed!
I find the intermezzo in the middle of the piece musically more demanding. I'm not sure yet with which tempo I like it, so I'm still playing around with that.
Is rubato common in Schumann's intermezzo's? I'm not too familiar with his style (yet).

Because of this recital I'm really starting to like Schumann. Will check out his other Noveletten as I'm fond of them and of course playing one now.

Paul

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by zrtf90
I don't know what strategies you've been using but if you've not done this in block chords yet that would be my first port of call. Block chords means moving the whole hand over the chord at once rather than one finger at a time so the speed isn't really an issue. If the hands are already over the keys nor should lightness be.

Using chords you're more likely to use arm weight than fingers. Larger muscles can control the dynamics better and you'll be able play very lightly then gradually start rolling the chords, up in LH and down in RH, again leaving fingers out of it.

I suggest you work initially in groups of three then four chords, starting at each half measure just for a line or two. You don't have to do much to develop the right arm action. Once you can slow the roll down to the time it takes you to change chord, there's your tempo.

WOW.. if I had known this earlier!!! I've tried it today and the gain in speed is incredible. It feels so natural that I end up playing incredibly fast, faster then I desire actually so I am trying to slow it down again to gain extra control.
It's also still a bit uneven. The accents are not always right and I have a fixed pattern where one note is longer than it should be which brings me to the next quote:

Originally Posted by Ataru074
Wimpiano

zrtf90 is right on the money.
Block chords is the strategy number one, so your hand gets used to sequence of chords instead of thinking about each single note.
Once you have the block chords done properly, the rhythmic variations on the group of 3 notes to gain speed and control at the same time.

Could you enlighten me about the rhythmic variations? So far I've been playing it in a relatively steady rhythm with some ritenuto's. Or do you mean per bar?

Originally Posted by Morodiene

+2 on block chords, and practicing in rhythms.

Often if it's a problem of evenness, it's an issue of fingers being uneven, or rather, flatter. Since you have to hold down a note with your thumb in the RH while playing other notes with fingers 3-4-5, it may be that the fingers aren't contacting the keys at the same level and some some are pressing down sooner than others. I would practice playing without the thumb and see if you can make the moving 8ths even. If those are good (and if not, practicing in dotted rhythms will help), then the issue is the thumb. What Id' do is play the thumb as if it were 8th notes too, so every time I play a note in the top voice, I also repeat the thumb and make sure they are playing evenly that way. Then work on holding down the thumb but keeping the same evenness in the top voice.

Be especially careful of any collapsing joints on the top fingers (3-4-5), and that you are not playing finger 5 on the side, but the tip like the others.

Thanks for the tips on evenness. I will try to have my all my fingers in sort of the same shape and will also try to play without the thumb. Very well possible. In my edition though, all notes are 8th notes and I am not holding the thumb, and there is syncopated pedalling indicated. The score is just like in this edition by Clara Schumann: http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usimg/0/0a/IMSLP51556-PMLP02707-RS67.pdf

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Today's recording efforts seemed like an experimental verification of Murhpy's law. I completely expected the difficulty that I'm having performing the piece acceptably, but I'm a little surprised that there seems to be an additional infinite number of things that can go wrong.

Learner
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by malkin
Today's recording efforts seemed like an experimental verification of Murhpy's law. I completely expected the difficulty that I'm having performing the piece acceptably, but I'm a little surprised that there seems to be an additional infinite number of things that can go wrong.

I can relate to this entirely

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
It seems I have a problem. I've had an elbow pain for a couple of months now, it comes and goes. What I just realized is that it comes from practicing this Schumann piece which is a real challenge for my right hand. I spend about an hour on it yesterday and woke up with pain again. Sigh...I should do very small sessions but there's so little time left...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo
It seems I have a problem. I've had an elbow pain for a couple of months now, it comes and goes. What I just realized is that it comes from practicing this Schumann piece which is a real challenge for my right hand. I spend about an hour on it yesterday and woke up with pain again. Sigh...I should do very small sessions but there's so little time left...

Many people will recommend glucosamine and chondrioton sulphates

+ MSM supplements for effective relief from arthritis pain.

They are used by vets on arthritic dogs and cats although not conclusively tested for humans. But dogs and cats don't lie. . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by outo

Many people will recommend glucosamine and chondrioton sulphates

+ MSM supplements for effective relief from arthritis pain.

They are used by vets on arthritic dogs and cats although not conclusively tested for humans. But dogs and cats don't lie. . . .

I don't have arthritis, this is RSI... But I do actually use some supplements just in case...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My Schumann piece hurts my hand too! I awoke with some pain and a bit of swelling at the base of my left thumb.

Learner
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Robert Schumann himself suffered from a severe hand injury which prevented him from pursuing a concert career. It might have had to do with his own music. (Although possible mentioned reasons include: A mechanical device he built to help him train finger independence and syphilis medication.)
Yes, some of his pieces hurt me too but somehow it goes away after I've been playing it long enough..

Originally Posted by wimpiano
Robert Schumann himself suffered from a severe hand injury which prevented him from pursuing a concert career. It might have had to do with his own music. (Although possible mentioned reasons include: A mechanical device he built to help him train finger independence and syphilis medication.)
Yes, some of his pieces hurt me too but somehow it goes away after I've been playing it long enough..

I knew someone would bring STIs into this. . . smile well, I got the bad thumbs too. Diagnosed with arthritis (doctor never even looked at it properly) piano is the best thing for it IMO. But not Schumann. Or Grieg. Or Tchaikovsky. . .Mendelssohn was OK ha ha

Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Lol!

I've gotta try Mendelssohn.. does he have anything accessible?

T
T
Robert Schumann himself suffered from a severe hand injury which prevented him from pursuing a concert career.

Of course, Robert had Clara, by reputation the better pianist in any case. Problem solved.

We're on our own! smile

Tom Christian
Yamaha C1
Roland RD-700nx
Hubbard (1769 Taskin) harpsichord
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Nope, I am not, however my better half is (still) less advanced at the piano. I have no doubt however she will catch up soon and leave me far behind grin.

T
T
Nope, I am not, however my better half is (still) less advanced at the piano. I have no doubt however she will catch up soon and leave me far behind grin.

Same situation here! smile

We figure that, as we grow older, our minds may wander and the mountains we climb may seem steeper, but our fingers will always be nimble.

Tom Christian
Yamaha C1
Roland RD-700nx
Hubbard (1769 Taskin) harpsichord
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
well, I got the bad thumbs too. Diagnosed with arthritis (doctor never even looked at it properly) piano is the best thing for it IMO. But not Schumann. Or Grieg. Or Tchaikovsky. . .Mendelssohn was OK ha ha

Peter... Chaikovsky? I'm not sure what you are saying? That these guys are hard to play on the hands? I've only worked on one Tchaikovsky piece, but it was very easy to learn, extremely hard to play well with my limited abilities, but not hard on the hands I don't think. I have my greedy eyes on a few more of his, so I was just wondering what you meant?

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I took my son and his friend sledding last week and slipped on the ice. Landed right on my left wrist, right where I hurt it at Christmas going ice skating.

So, no practice on the Schumann since Tuesday because of the big left hand spans needed. Ouch. Hopefully tonight.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
We could start a Schumann related injury club!

Class action suit?!

Learner
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

Class action suit?!

I believe Schumann is still waiting for his claim to be settled smile he could be president, non working of course.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

Class action suit?!

Could we find some wealthy offspring that we could sue for their inheritance?

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission