2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
G
G
Hi,

I ordered the black Version of the CA97. Delivery seems to be next week or maybe in 2 weeks.

I will get mine from my local dealer.

The cost here in Germany is Euro 3.400,- delivered (US$ 3.900,-)

Galuwen

G
G
Woot they are coming...first one arrived here in Germany at www.music-bauer.com What an instrument :-). Alexander

M
M
[/quote]
They look nice. Wonder when they will be available in the USA.
[/quote]

I spoke with Kawai USA last week and they told me that both the 67's and 97's should start showing up in dealer showrooms by mid to late March but there is a caveat to that estimate... It depends on how fast they can clear the backlog at the west coast ports. There could be a substantial delay.

N
N
I messed around with the CA97 at the showroom in Tokyo last week. I only played for a few minutes and couldn't tell a difference between the GF1 and GF2, but I did notice right away that the sound was much better on the CA97 than on the CA95's speaker system. I was underwhelmed on the CA95 and was satisfied when I got the MP11 instead (other important factors played in as well), however, the choice would have been much harder if the CA97 was in the mix.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Kinda a kick in the junk to those of us who just bought an MP11 smirk

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
N
N
Originally Posted by Markarian

Yea, would be nice if the MP line had the newest stuff, especially since it just came out.

Last edited by navyasw02; 03/11/15 03:05 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navyasw02

Yea, would be nice if the MP line had the newest stuff, especially since it just came out.

The MP11 was announced at NAMM 2014 and remains one of the most realistic stage pianos available today. The announcement of the CA97/CA67 in January does not change this fact.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
N
N
Originally Posted by Kawai James

The MP11 was announced at NAMM 2014 and remains one of the most realistic stage pianos available today. The announcement of the CA97/CA67 in January does not change this fact.

Kind regards,
James
x

You have a good point James. I'm not implying the MP11 isnt good and still isnt a fantastic stage piano, but I would have preferred it to have what the CA97 has if it had a synchronized release date since I was looking for the keyboard and sound without the frame

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Yes an upgrade to the quite recent MP11 and MP7 with the new Shigeru samples of the CA67 would not only great for the customers, who recently bought one, but also great for the reputation of Kawai. The resulting good word of mouth across the globe would be worth millions in advertising money!

Originally Posted by lophiomys
Yes an upgrade to the quite recent MP11 and MP7 with the new Shigeru samples of the CA67 would not only great for the customers, who recently bought one, but also great for the reputation of Kawai.

I agree. Unfortunately this is not possible.

Originally Posted by lophiomys
The resulting good word of mouth across the globe would be worth millions in advertising money!

I think you may be slightly over-estimating the size of the digital piano industry...

Kind regards,
James
x

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
For those interested in an MP11 with the brains of the CA97, a -systems- transplant is possible. This procedure is risky; one of the boards could die in the process.

Please proceed with caution: Buy an MP11 and a CA97; transplant the guts of the CA97 into the MP11 and vice versa. You will now have an MP11-97. As for the -now- lesser- CA97-11, you can always sell it to an unsuspecting sucker!

T
T
Can anybody speak on how the new GFII compares to the Kawai VPC1's RM3 Grand II? I bought a VPC1, but had to return it because the keyboard just feels soooo sluggish compared to a real piano. The amount of time it would take for the key to return back up, and even hitting it down, was just uncomfortably slow.

Unfortunately no stores around me have a CA95 in stock for me to test out either (since I know the GF and GFII are very similar).

My piano dealer has a CA97 on order here in LA (well his store is in OC), but with the Long Beach ports backed up, there's still no real delivery date.

Last edited by Octaves_Up; 03/11/15 12:44 PM.
P
P

Kind regards,
James
x

The CA 67 / 97 are furniture style digital pianos, while the MP11 is (the top of the line) slab style piano.

Even with all other things being equal, what the CA 97/67 has over the MP11 are GF2 action as opposed to GF, and the new Shigeru concert grand samples.

One can't expect to swap out your GF action in an MP11 for a GF2 action (or can you?), but I'd sure love to be able to somehow get the Shigeru samples in my MP11.... or at least an external MIDIable box with those samples where the line out's from that box can be fed right back into the line in's of the MP11 (or MP7, or any other mixer, recorder, interface, device, etc).

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I messed around with the CA97 at the showroom in Tokyo last week. I only played for a few minutes and couldn't tell a difference between the GF1 and GF2

Interesting! That's pretty much what I predicted, but it'll be good to see other people's views on this.

but I did notice right away that the sound was much better on the CA97 than on the CA95's speaker system.

Speaker / amp system of the CA97 and CA95 are exactly the same. They said they changed the EQ for the CA97 so maybe that's what caused the difference (though, the CA95 does have a 4-band parametric EQ in the Basic Settings menu which you can tweak). Individual units may sound quite different depending on room placement, nearby walls, other pianos etc.

I was underwhelmed on the CA95 and was satisfied when I got the MP11 instead (other important factors played in as well), however, the choice would have been much harder if the CA97 was in the mix.

The CA95 has the same key action and piano sounds as the MP11, so not sure why you'd want the MP11 if the CA95 was "underwhelming"... anyway congrats on your new instrument!

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
N
N
Originally Posted by lolatu

I was underwhelmed on the CA95 and was satisfied when I got the MP11 instead (other important factors played in as well), however, the choice would have been much harder if the CA97 was in the mix.

The CA95 has the same key action and piano sounds as the MP11, so not sure why you'd want the MP11 if the CA95 was "underwhelming"... anyway congrats on your new instrument!

Sorry I think I wasn't clear on that last part. I the dealer had to order a MP11 for me but had a CA95 he was trying to sell at a sizable discount on the floor. I tried the CA95, but the speaker sound just wasn't very impressive enough to change my mind from going with the MP11 and some monitors. Overall my purchase was driven by the fact that I move frequently and after 10 moves my old electronic piano with a full body/frame like the CA95 was just beat up. The movers founds new and creative ways to ruin just about every piece of it. At least with the MP11 it's simple to pack and ship. If the sound output from the CA95 had been what I heard on that CA97 I might have gone with the CA97 over the MP11 and just hoped for the best on future moves.

T
T
Sorry I think I wasn't clear on that last part. I the dealer had to order a MP11 for me but had a CA95 he was trying to sell at a sizable discount on the floor. I tried the CA95, but the speaker sound just wasn't very impressive enough to change my mind from going with the MP11 and some monitors. Overall my purchase was driven by the fact that I move frequently and after 10 moves my old electronic piano with a full body/frame like the CA95 was just beat up. The movers founds new and creative ways to ruin just about every piece of it. At least with the MP11 it's simple to pack and ship. If the sound output from the CA95 had been what I heard on that CA97 I might have gone with the CA97 over the MP11 and just hoped for the best on future moves.

So was the sound difference that noticeably better? I keep seeing people go back and forth on it, but aren't the speakers the same speakers?

And did you play one with the sound board? Is that just a gimmick, or did it really help with the sound? I'm still considering a CA97, but not sure if it's worth it. I'm going to try a CA95 this weekend to see how that feels (since nobody here has CA97s yet), so at least I have a similar product to go off of.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Octaves_Up
So was the sound difference that noticeably better? I keep seeing people go back and forth on it, but aren't the speakers the same speakers?

Speakers are the same, but I wonder if navyasw02 was comparing the same sounds? "Concert Grand" on the 95 is "EX ConcertGrand" on the 97, and is no longer the default sound (it's been displaced by the new "SK ConcertGrand", which should in theory sound better, because the original instrument is more expensive).

Is [the soundboard] just a gimmick, or did it really help with the sound?

Yes to both. It's a gimmick because digitals obviously don't need a soundboard because they don't have strings. Any resonance and distortion of the digitally produced sounds is undesirable, and they could probably have got a better effect with a cheaper off-the-shelf subwoofer. But it does work pretty well and sounds a lot better than the CA65. That could just be because the CA65 is a bit lacking in the bass department. The CA67 has a rather different speaker system to the CA65 (with upwards facing mid range speakers at the back like on the CA95) so conceivably could sound a lot better than its predecessor.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
P
P
Originally Posted by Octaves_Up

Speakers are the same, but I wonder if navyasw02 was comparing the same sounds? "Concert Grand" on the 95 is "EX ConcertGrand" on the 97, and is no longer the default sound (it's been displaced by the new "SK ConcertGrand", which should in theory sound better, because the original instrument is more expensive).

Is [the soundboard] just a gimmick, or did it really help with the sound?

Yes to both. It's a gimmick because digitals obviously don't need a soundboard because they don't have strings. Any resonance and distortion of the digitally produced sounds is undesirable, and they could probably have got a better effect with a cheaper off-the-shelf subwoofer. But it does work pretty well and sounds a lot better than the CA65. That could just be because the CA65 is a bit lacking in the bass department. The CA67 has a rather different speaker system to the CA65 (with upwards facing mid range speakers at the back like on the CA95) so conceivably could sound a lot better than its predecessor.

At NAMM, I tried the CA97 / CA67. However, at NAMM everything is through headphones (which attempt to filter out some of the high crowd levels). I can tell you that the Shigeru (SK) piano sample was very impressive when compared with the EX sample! I can only imagine what that would sound like through monitors / speakers instead of headphones.

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
Yes to both. It's a gimmick because digitals obviously don't need a soundboard because they don't have strings... But it does work pretty well and sounds a lot better than the CA65.

I believe this is a pretty good summary.

The CA67 has a rather different speaker system to the CA65 (with upwards facing mid range speakers at the back like on the CA95) so conceivably could sound a lot better than its predecessor.

Yes, I agree. The CA67 speaker system is a definite improvement over that of the CA65.

Cheers,
James
x

J
J
The CA67 has a rather different speaker system to the CA65 (with upwards facing mid range speakers at the back like on the CA95) so conceivably could sound a lot better than its predecessor.

Yes, I agree. The CA67 speaker system is a definite improvement over that of the CA65.

Cheers,
James
x

I'm a little concerned about those upward facing speakers. What are they covered with? From the YouTube video, it looks like it might be some kind of fabric. Is that going to hold up over the long run? I often put heavy piles of music on top of my piano, and I could imagine the pile sliding back and putting weight on the cover. I don't normally put drinks on my piano, but still, I could imagine someone spilling something. And the cover is definitely going to gather dust, so what about keeping it clean? Anything facing upwards seems a bit vulnerable, and I plan to keep my next piano for a long time, so I hope Kawai put some thought into that.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission