2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 9 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Norbert Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Short announcement:

We have now discontinued our relationship with C.Sauter.

Reason for this is that we have been importing these fine pianos directly from factory for 25 years, something that is no longer available to us [ or others..]

Apparently this appears to affect also at least one more long established [ and well respected..] Sauter dealer in U.S.

The decision by company appears to have been a 'business decision' appointing a middle man looking after distribution.

Wether or not this will amount to increasing sales or adds to the popularity of the brand, of course needs to be seen.

From our own experience, the added cost for these high quality but already pricey pianos no longer makes Sauter a highly competitive choice on market - speaking strictly for our own market here near Vancouver,B.C.

We regret this development but express our thanks to company wishing them well.Unfortunately we will be no longer be there to assist anybody in the service of the pianos nor will we be able to address any warranty related questions/concerns in the future.

For those interested, great buys of existing Sauter stock can be still had by Kassmann Pianos in Berkely,Ca

Thanks all,

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 03/03/15 10:11 PM.

Norbert, please explain a little bit.
I have always felt that there would be more Sauter dealers here in the US if they didn't have to deal with that a$$hat of a rep. When I was a dealer, I wouldn't talk to anyone but Ulrich or his secretary. Has this changed, or is there a new (even worse) rep?

Cathy Harl - former piano dealer and tech.
Currently making and designing jewelry.
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Norbert
Unfortunately we will be no longer be there to assist anybody in the service of the pianos nor will we be able to address any warranty related questions/concerns in the future.

Norbert

Greetings,
Does this mean that previously bought Sauters no longer have a warranty that is honored by the seller?

I'm sure the FACTORY would never leave a customer "high and dry", but the rep is a different story. If a dealer can't get support from their rep, everything turns to worms. Especially if he is the new "distributor".

Last edited by Catlady; 03/03/15 10:29 PM.

Cathy Harl - former piano dealer and tech.
Currently making and designing jewelry.
Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Does this mean that previously bought Sauters no longer have a warranty that is honored by the seller?

Sellers don't underwrite warranties - manufacturers do.

Luckily an almost non-existing concern with Sauter pianos.

Norbert

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Should be some good bargains going, then, if you are prepared to undertake any "warranty" work on your own dollar?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert

Sellers don't underwrite warranties - manufacturers do.

Luckily an almost non-existing concern with Sauter pianos.

Norbert

Some here in Australia do - in particular 2 European piano brands where the manufacturer only gives a 5 yr warranty, in one case the distributor, the other the dealer gives an additional 5 yr warranty.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Their pianos are already way overpriced, especially when compared to Shigeru and Estonia. I loved the Omega I played, but Norbert is right. They're already pricey. Nice work, Sauter. You and Petrof let us know how this works out for ya.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
I'm sorry, Norbert. You obviously were fond of Sauter pianos. It's a shame that Sauter couldn't see the wisdom in retaining highly-regarded dealers like you and Kassman.

Is Vienna International the Sauter distributor, or have Sauter switched "reps"?

I'm curious - what high-end marque will you pick up to replace Sauter?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Almaviva
I'm sorry, Norbert. You obviously were fond of Sauter pianos. It's a shame that Sauter couldn't see the wisdom in retaining highly-regarded dealers like you and Kassman.

Is Vienna International the Sauter distributor, or have Sauter switched "reps"?

I'm curious - what high-end marque will you pick up to replace Sauter?

I dunno, it seems like Estonia can give Sauter a run for its money.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you - appreciating your kind comment!

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for the new national representative to introduce himself to the board here?

Your chance Sir! wow

This perhaps instead of writing nasty letters to us threatening 'legal action' if not immediately removing the name "Sauter" from website...

I dunno, it seems like Estonia can give Sauter a run for its money.

This is [was] also true. We didn't advertise it but 90% of those who tested both pianos clearly preferred Estonia. Especially as a 6' Sauter grand easily buys a 6'10 Estonia [with change] and a 7'Omega a 9' Estonia concert grand.

Sales figures accordingly, spoke loud and clear supporting the experience shoppers often had. Below is one, there were a good number of others.

Read carefully, this involved an Estonia 13 years ago...

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...1/topic/002969/Number/0/site_id/1#import

Which was perhaps deemed "our fault"? frown

Hoping the new middle man distributor will turn things around in a great hurry.

Best wishes!

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 03/04/15 01:45 AM.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I know Northwest Pianos here in Seattle is our local Sauter dealer, and that the owner, Basilios Strmec, is a big wheel for importing Hailuns to the US. Nice pianos, to be sure. Still haven't had a chance to even see an Estonia in person. I think they might be mythical.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Markarian
...Still haven't had a chance to even see an Estonia in person...

This was my experience for quite a while. We were even planning to look for them while traveling.

Then, my husband happened to make a call just as one showed up at our local dealer and all around good guy.

I think they might be mythical.

I still think that. It's like having a unicorn in my living room.

Learner
B
B
Estonias are uncommon, but fortunately not mythical. I have a client with one. It tunes beautifully, and the bass is remarkable for the size of the piano. Wish she'd have it tuned more than once a year; apparently it holds extremely well, at least to her ear.

Kent Burnside
Registered Piano Technician
Franklin TN 37064

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Let me make sure I understand. Did Sauter drop all of it's dealers or are individual dealers opting out?

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Maybe we can make some liebfraumilch whine from these sour grapes.

Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
We were 'dropped'.

This at a time when we were putting in an order for several grands. Of course after 25 years this didn't feel 'good'.

The new distributor happens to be the distributor for Hailun and Petrof pianos. We had earlier discontinued with Hailun.

The guy since tried to have some of his own flock adopt the Sauter line. Thinking he succeeded with perhaps one.

Someone in factory must have listened: I know it wasn't Ulrich.

We refused to deal with this new middle man buying our pianos through him. Remember didn't do this for 25 years.

We simply couldn't - we had always sold the pianos for best we could. The market demanded that.

Guess that was it.

For those who like to put a needle into this,let me make one thing perfectly clear: please listen in Guapo:

We have no 'sour grapes' with Sauter or Sauter company. They make a fantastic product, a product that has unfortunately never found serious market penetration on this continent. We knew this from the beginning and tried our best. Perhaps the new distributor is trying to change this: we wish him the best. Our customers for the piano were always highly appreciative. We are a small dealer serving a select client base. To simply discontinue us [overnight..] and another U.S. dealer who has been Sauter's longest and by far best dealer in America, is something that may not quite turn out the way it was intended.

As said, we are [far] more successful with another make anyways and are wishing company the best.

P.S. I don't drink much wine and if anybody does, he's perfectly free to do so on his own....

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 03/04/15 12:45 PM.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Wait a minute!

Are you actually saying that both you and Kassman have been dropped as dealers for Sauter?????

Is that what you are saying???

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Norbert,

Sauter is a small company. Ulrich Sauter knows you personally. Have you contacted him directly on this matter?

Sauter sales in this country are so small that I can't imagine that they would drop two of their stellar, long-standing dealers.

You and Mr. Kassman have probably already tried contacting Herr Sauter directly, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Almaviva; 03/04/15 03:07 PM.
Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline

Sauter is a small company. Ulrich Sauter knows you personally. Have you contacted him directly on this matter?

Sauter sales in this country are so small that I can't imagine that they would drop two of their stellar, long-standing dealers.

You and Mr. Kassman have probably already tried contacting Herr Sauter directly, but better safe than sorry.

We're not sorry but disappointed.

This was a very unfriendly, "bully-like" take over by someone who has very little experience with this make. And apparently even less success as a retailer for the pianos himself.

I don't know if this guy owns a Sauter himself but I do. And have published recordings on it here before.

His condescending letters to me were proclaimed to be "friendly" - of course the opposite is true. In fact he early on threatened 'legal action' - an unnecessary flexing of muscle...

IMHO not a good start [or finish..] for anything..
Especially involving a long trusted dealer and advocate for Sauter. One of the finest pianos made on planet earth.

There seems to be an internal company dispute over this.
It's been long known that Sauter has 2 owners, not knowing the shares each have. The other owner is called Mr.Hott, an older gent who stays strictly in the background. I met him once and found him a sharp, well educated businessman.

The new distributor must have promised something to Mr.Hott who appeared more experienced with the European market, that we dealers over here could not not possibly fulfill.

Besides, we did not believe that there's room for someone else "in between" to make money. These are very expensive pianos. The market allows only for so much, especially today.

Only the future will show who's right or wrong here.

Again: this would be the perfect moment for the new distributor to introduce himself. Am sincere in wishing him and the Sauter company the very best in future!

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 03/04/15 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission