2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 8 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
Originally Posted by ChrisVenables
Originally Posted by clobbo
or buy U1 at 5x 255 price and take a small financial hit?

Dear clobbo

I you really consider that buying the U1 is, for you, a small financial hit, then yes, go for it.

However, please consider the following.

Yamaha group their uprights in various 'Series' but unfortunately, the component spec within each series isn't always the same. So the B3 has higher spec hammers than the B1 and B2 and and B3 has a higher spec soundboard than the B1.

Yamaha also use the same iron frame, scale design, keyboard and action design in several different models. so the B3, P121, U1, YUS1, SE122 all share the same DNA. (The B3 and P121 don't have the soft close fall).

You need have no concerns over premature deterioration on the new B3 compared with the new U1 - it also has the same number and size of backposts and the same number of tone collectors (the bolts which go through the frame and soundboard to the backposts).

I unpack, prep and tune scores of new B3 and U1 every year and given the same degree of prep I can distinguish very little in terms of tone and touch between the two models. Also, I have found no difference in the Yamaha Indonesian build quality compared to the Japanese factory. So one reason the U1 you tried sounded better than the B3 is maybe because the U1 had a little more attention than the B3 where margins are pretty low...

Therefore, you should ensure that the piano you buy is the one you have chosen in the dealer's showrooms.

Ask your dealer if they'll offer some form of upgrade guarantee should you go for a B3 and wish to p/ex for something more expensive in the future.

Thanks for this Chris, it's really helpful, especially for me as someone who's in the market for an upright (and probably a Yamaha at that) as we speak. I suppose my question though, is given what you've said, is about where the value lies in the higher priced instruments . To use the 121 / 122 cm pianos you quoted as an example, if a B3 is £4k (ish) a YUS1 a little over £ 7K and an SE122 about £10.5k, what does someone get in terms of musical performance for those additional spends ?.

I'm actually looking at the bigger Yamahas, and have tried all of the models of that size (U3, YUS3 and 5, SE132, and SU7). For me, the gap between the U3 and YUS3 wasn't huge, but the YUS5 was a big leap forward from both (which was odd, as the spec sheet suggests that the leap should be from U3 to YUS3). The tone just felt darker and "fuller". It seemed clear to me that the YUS5 was well worth the extra over the U3. On the other hand, the performance gap from the YUS5 to the SU7 didn't seem that much, and certainly nowhere near enough to justify the outlay. But perhaps that's more a statement about my limitations as a pianist than anything. The SE132 felt like a very different animal to any of the others (not better as such, just different), and I was actually quite taken with it.

Sorry for the rambling post (and borderline thread hijack!), I suppose in the context of your comments, it's just a case of trying to get my head around how much of the difference in touch and tone between different instruments is about the difference in quality between the different instruments, and how much is in the prep. After all, there's little point in me potentially laying out £12k (well, probably a bit less than that after negotiating smile ) or so on an SE132 or £9k on a YUS5, if a £7k U3 is every bit as good if properly prepped.

Last edited by Jason74; 03/04/15 04:27 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yamaha group their uprights in various 'Series' but unfortunately, the component spec within each series isn't always the same. So the B3 has higher spec hammers than the B1 and B2 and and B3 has a higher spec soundboard than the B1.

While I have no doubt Chris knows what he's talking about, this does not appear to be immediately evident by the published company specs of these pianos.

http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/mu..._na/b3_na/?mode=model#tab=product_lineup

Published specs is how I study and have always studied the different pianos on market, to be followed by playing them extensively after. [yes all 88 keys.. wink ]

It's something that IMHO every buyer should also do.

Any more explanations offered in regards to the apparent spec mystery?

They all seem to be same - at least with regards to hammers and soundboards?

Many thanks,

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 03/04/15 04:40 PM.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ChrisVenables
Therefore, you should ensure that the piano you buy is the one you have chosen in the dealer's showrooms.

Write down the serial number to be sure that the piano you get is the one you auditioned, not the one that was closest to the back door. ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello Jason.

In your search for the best higher priced Yamaha uprights, unfortunately and frustratingly, it's the law of diminishing returns as well as what's in the ear of the beholder. I agree with your findings, and I would recommend the YUS5 over the others, even the SE132 which doesn't have the more functional music desk or Ivorite keys and wood comp. sharps found on the YUS5. (at least in the UK). At the end of the day, it's what turns you on personally that counts and how much time and skill the dealer has in prepping the piano. PS - good news for you, due to the strong GB£, from today Yamaha UK prices now 5% cheaper. I wonder if Yamaha US and Canada will follow suit?

Hello Norbert.

I respect you as a dealer and piano player and I hope I can explain the mysteries you raise regarding Yamaha spec.

I too read manufacturers' published specs and then play the pianos extensively, but in addition to what you personally may do, I unbox, tune and prep them also. Agreed, published specs are useful, but only in as much as that which is published by the manufacturer. (They don't always have time, space, nor desire, to reveal all). grin However, by tuning and prepping these pianos it gives me the third dimension necessary to fully evaluate a piano's potential and worth. Also, spec may vary a little from country to country, but, as far as this thread is concerned, clobbo, the OP, is debating B3 v U1 v digital. A minor point you raise, maybe B3 and B1 hammers and soundboard are the same in Canada, although they're not the same in Europe. eg, B1 soundboard laminated, B3 solid spruce since 2014. B1 hammers not underfelted or as large as B3, Yamaha Canada website says B3 has FIVE backposts as per the European B3, Yam Canada says B1 has four backposts. Also, the B1 doesn't have the tone collectors as is found in the B3, but I couldn't see a reference to that on the Yamaha Canada website and I don't want to spend too much time over a minor issue, because:

My point, for the OP, clobbo, is that the B3 budget series, has almost all the qualities found in a U1, Professional series, including same strings, frame, backpost design, action and keyboard size and design, ie the B3 is more akin to the U1 Professional series than B1 or B2 budget series. Jason got the point, huge price hikes from B3 to U1 and YUS1 for minimal musical improvements. Sorry if I didn't make this clear in my initial post.

Best wishes.

Chris

Chris Venables
Venables Pianos
Yamaha Pianos, Petrof Pianos and Venables & Son
UK Grand Piano Centre.
Thanks Chris!

Thinking you're always best man to ask these things!

Norbert thumb

C
clobbo Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Chris, Norbert, and James. You've all provided a lot of helpful information. Made my choice somewhat easier, but I'm also considering a nice digital now as well. Primarily reason for that is that I can play when my baby daughter (now 9 months) is sleeping. When she's awake, we play

The B3 SG2 Silent Piano adds a whole new dimension to the B3 and is a lot more money... MSRP in the US is more than a U1 ($11873 vs $$10699) and at that price, it's a no brainer - digital all the way.

I'm going to save this thread in the hopes that 3-4 years down the road when my kids are older and when a proper acoustic piano can be considered.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I love the U1, as well, and can totally understand where you're coming from. I was hunting for months on Craigslist and eventually found a gorgeous U1 in walnut, 1983 made in Hamamatsu in the next town over. They were only asking $1500 and reposted it several times because the word "piano" wasn't in the title or anywhere in the listing! So I think people searching for a piano missed it. I was really skeptical but went to see and play it. I opened it up....it was like new. The felts were barely grooved, and only around middle C, lol. The family were moving to FL and no one had played it much since their kids moved out. My tech was stunned. I brought that baby home immediately, it's a fabulous piano!!

You never know what you're going to find. If you want new and have the money, then go for it. But there are a lot of great finds out there, as well. I've played the B3 and it's just like the new U1s to my ears, and I did consider getting one. But the walnut U1 I found has an amazingly rich sound and I just preferred it, especially with that asking price.

Good luck, I hope you find something wonderful and absolutely astonishing!!

PS The practice pedal on the U1 may not be totally silent, but it's a great feature. I'll bet a baby can sleep fine when it's in use. smile

Last edited by ebonykawai; 03/07/15 05:09 PM.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jason74
[quote=clobbo]

Based purely on your comments in the OP, you are imho actually asking the wrong question. Given you think the U1 is "awesome", the question surely isn't "which one of those options do I take" it's "what's the best way for me to get a U1 in a way that works for me financially" . . . .but that's just my view. As always in these things, it's your money, and your choice.

Exactly, that's what I thought, as well. smile

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by clobbo
I'd still need the other bits with a PX-5S though, right? Computer, speakers/headphones, etc. Do I need an amp or mixer?

Can I use a headphone amp with powered speakers?

PMFJI --

If you're happy with the PX5S built-in sounds, you strictly _need_:

. . . Headphones and/or loudspeaker(s)

. . . Some kind of piano stand.

If the loudspeakers are "powered speakers", they include amplifiers. There are many alternatives, depending on what you want to do, and how much you want to spend, and how good you want the stuff to sound.

You don't need a mixer, unless you want to do more than play piano. They're handy for vocal work. I think the PX5S may have a simple mixer (microphone + piano) built in.

You don't need a computer, unless you want to replace the PX5S piano sounds with something else -- some kind of "virtual piano" that runs on a computer. The PX5S sounds aren't bad; "virtual piano" sounds are better.

My guess is that you won't need a headphone amp with the PX5S -- not with the vast majority of headphones, anyway. Just plug the headphones into the PX5S's "phone" jack.

If you want to go down the digital path, there's lots of information in the Digital Pianos & Synths forum, here.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission