2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 5 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Johan B

Another question I'm curious about......what happens in the mind when a person is playing by memory.....does he see the notes in his mind and play the music?.....is he real playing by ear?......is the music fully integrated in his personality?......does he really see notes in his mind?.....just a thought

Very few musicians have photographic memory, and can 'see' the scores in their minds.

I'd say most is muscle memory, supplemented by 'signposts' at key moments (the start, the modulations, the changes in figuration or mood etc), knowledge of the basic harmonic structure of the piece, and of course the melodic lines and phrases.

That is how I play by memory, and how I memorize.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Originally Posted by Johan B
Hi there,

what happens in the mind when a person is playing by memory.....does he see the notes in his mind and play the music?.....is he real playing by ear?......is the music fully integrated in his personality?......does he really see notes in his mind?.....just a thought

Maybe stuff for neuroscientists........ What happens in the mind/brain?? confused grin

Best regards,

Johan B

For my part, I see chords. Classical music breaks down usually into simple chords with augmentation and diminishation (my word) and those bits that don`t cause me a problem!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For me, the memory I play from (and can picture in my mind) is the keys and movements on those keys, along with the melody. A mixed audio-visual memory if you will. No notes, although if I've worked long on a piece I will for a time remember the 'look' of the sheet, but it fades quickly after I put it away, which I will as soon as it's memorized. I do have things in my head like 'starts on G' or 'watch out for that A', but again they're keys, not notes on a sheet.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Though I have not worked on developing good sight reading skills (i.e. in real time as I play), I can read standard notation just fine. However, I find that for myself (may be different for other folks), I don't seem to be able to memorize from sheet music very well at all. When figuring out music off of recordings by ear, memorization seems a natural by-product of that approach. I have read in various places that we different parts of our brain for reading than for using our ears. So maybe that is a part of it. Certainly both skills are valuable.

My primary musical interest on piano is new age music, particularly that of Michele McLaughlin, David Nevue, and Joe Bongiorno. I have all the CDs and sheet music from each of them. My use of the sheet music is that, as I figure out the music by ear, I can check myself in a manner similar to a self-study book that has the answers in the back (no peeking ahead of time...). With that approach, I am able to memorize what I am learning, where if I just read directly off the sheet music, without that sheet music always in front of me, I have memorized nothing and would be completely lost despite the hours of practice. I rely much more on my Sony PCM-D100 handheld recorder that can slow down and loop MP3s with amazing clarity and without changing pitch than I do on sheet music. So for me, the ear seems to be front and center for music making, but then again, we each rely more strongly on different combinations of our 5 senses so I am not speaking for anybody else.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
As for JohanB's question, I prefer to have a piece deep into memory before performing live. This means being able to hear the entire piece away from the piano, being able to play with my eyes closed at the piano, and also with the sound off on the digital with eyes open. If I know a piece that well, that I can do without touch, without sight, without sound, it is deep into memory and likely will never entirely leave.

I might suggest the three way memorization for those that seem to memorize and then forget quickly. The downside is the time factor. Double the time vs. the surface level memorization some people seem to be doing, might be a reasonable estimate. Obviously, complicated pieces can't be done entirely all three ways, but sections can be done.

This level of intimacy with a piece of music means a higher level of interpretation is possible vs. sitting with paper and reading off the paper. Hopefully that translates into a better chance of connecting with a live audience. Those that don't perform live? I'd say it probably isn't worth that extra effort, unless a person wants to get that intimate with a piece of music for other reasons.

Some might even add a fourth level, being able to write out the score from memory. Some develop a shorthand for doing this.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws

For my part, I see chords. Classical music breaks down usually into simple chords with augmentation and diminishation (my word) and those bits that don`t cause me a problem!

How do you conceptualize your chords? As stacks of notes marked on a staff or as a pattern of keys and fingers? Or something else?

Learner
Pattern of keys mainly but notes too. Inversion is important . . Busker books refer!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
I think it may depend a lot with how you were taught and learned. I did not start with reading, so when memorizing I do not think in terms of notes on a page. I did not start with any understanding of keys and chords either, so do not think much about these. Sometimes chords but not often. When I started, I had to memorize everything. My approach was and remains mostly, far more basic. I focus and try to remember hand positions / positioning, where I need to be on the register and then rely heavily on ear to help keep things on track. Of course the more secure ones come back faster, and less secure require more work.

I agree with other comments made that it is often a matter of balancing to have a reasonable representation of repertoire available for recall with steadily acquiring more material and advancing skills.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I definitely don't think about a score at all, or anything visual, when playing from memory.
Reading is an extra task, separate from playing. Playing is the process of making sound. I'd love for all my playing to just send sound straight from my heart and brain into the air. For all the notes I can't remember, there is reading smile

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Once you've memorised a piece, leave it a week. If you can still play it a week later leave it a month. If you can still play it after a month leave it for two months, three, six, twelve. After twelve months it's pretty much there, just play it a couple of times through every five to ten years.

If you forget it after the first week, relearn it and try again. The relearning only takes a few days. Every time you forget it, relearn it slowly and carefully from the score and it comes back firmer each time. And if you don't forget it, job done!

When you get a large repertoire it's easier to set some aside and cycle, say, forty one year and forty the next.

Yes good point. I rarely feel the urge to play old pieces again, but this might do the trick. I'm pretty sure I could recover a piece with a week of practicing, but I prefer working on new stuff

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
There is no vs. they're different skills. My experience is to have a piece performance ready it's good to have it memorized.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wimpiano
There is no vs. they're different skills. My experience is to have a piece performance ready it's good to have it memorized.

I just cannot figure out what
vs.
stands for.

Could you help me out ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
versus. Which seems to imply that they are two opposed things. They aren't. One complements the other.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wimpiano
versus. Which seems to imply that they are two opposed things. They aren't. One complements the other.

Oh ... Well, I knew that.

Now, I just have to go back through all of the previous posts to figure out who made a reference to "versus" and I will know what you were referring to. I checked out Dru Morgan, whom you were replying to, but he made no reference to "versus".

I will keep looking ...

EDIT:

I think I found something ...

Sand Tiger:

Double the time vs. the surface level memorization some people seem to be doing, might be a reasonable estimate.

or

This level of intimacy with a piece of music means a higher level of interpretation is possible vs. sitting with paper and reading off the paper.

Were either of these statements what you were commenting about ?

Last edited by dmd; 03/09/15 04:49 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
OP Offline
dmd, what is the title of this thread?

Not on Facebook, but pretty visible at Google+
https://plus.google.com/+DruMorgan
M
M
Just stumbled on this video of Valentina practicing for an upcoming concert (couple of years back)... looks like all you need to do is read for an hour and it's memorized smile

Sorry if this has been discussed on the forum somewhere already, but I thought this was relevant to the current thread in a "reach for the stars" kind of way.

August Förster 190
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dru Morgan

BINGO !!! LOL ....

Now that makes sense.

Thank You

Don

OP Offline
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by Dru Morgan

BINGO !!! LOL ....

Now that makes sense.

Thank You

whome ha eek

I
I
I've only been playing just shy under a year and my experience so far, so here is my two cents on the topic.

I believe for beginner's its impossible to not memorize the piece your working on . The reason being , in the earlier phases it takes more effort and attempts to learn . Your not hitting the notes confidently therefor alot of repetition is required before becoming more fluent. This practically makes memorizing the piece without any effort.

Yes sight reading is a good skill but its not required.

Casio PX850
OP Offline
Playing more pieces that don't come easily to me, I find that to "read" them through I am technically "memorizing" them. So, what you say makes sense. Especially when I get to a new line, I can't see the interval, so I have to remember which key I start that measure on.

This is all starting to make more sense, and bringing up more questions, at the same time. But, I'm in for the journey and enjoying the experience. Great to know that others are going through the same thing at the same time. Thanks for all the great input.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission