2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,319 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Maarkr Offline OP
OP Offline
i thought i was doing well with progressions, then came across this, which is apparently a well know country prog...
G-D-A-E (actually it was Eb-Bb-F-C but I moved it up)
so, is this just I-V-II-IV ? all maj?
i got confused because there was no minor chords... I'd just like to read some explanation of progressions that don't fit the standard Maj min progression tables... is it just typical to find non-standard stuff?

Privia PX-5S, XW-P1, Roland Juno-G, Roland Lucina Axe, Korg MicroSampler...
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
It's up to the composer. It would be interesting to know the title?
It could be going around the circle of fifths. "Around the horn" is another chord progression that stays close to the circle of fifths, i.e: B,E,A,D,G. My example being the opposite of your example. Another example is the verse in Hotel California. It stays all major until the last chord if I remember right. (nope. I just checked: Am,E,G,D,F,C,Dm,E,Ret.)
But another example of circular progression. I think of it like tightening up a five bolt wheel, using a star pattern. But I could be nuts. smile

Last edited by Farmerjones; 03/05/15 01:21 PM.

nada
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Chord progressions can be anything a composer wishes to use to accompany his melody.

If it sounds the way he wishes it to sound it is right.

The only reason there are progressions we consider "standard" is because they are used most often by composers.

I IV V is a standard.

I VI IV V is a standard.

When you get into the jazz genre, the I VI II V is a standard.

You need not be troubled by running into one that is not one you recognize.

It is just one the composer thought sounded good to him/her.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Maarkr Offline OP
OP Offline
here's the reference I saw... I may not even have the chords right. it's a mash of many pop country songs with the same prog and other features...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1026261527390221&pnref=story

Privia PX-5S, XW-P1, Roland Juno-G, Roland Lucina Axe, Korg MicroSampler...
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- you could add another cycle to yours making it - in your key - G-D-A-E-B and you've got Jimmy Hendrix's Hey Joe.

You've chosen the first chord as tonic - the reference for the other chords - but in the case of Hey Joe, I would argue that it's the final chord, the B, which is the I.

I wonder if guitarists would be better able to tell you why it's such a common sequence in pop music.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Maarkr
i thought i was doing well with progressions, then came across this, which is apparently a well know country prog...
G-D-A-E (actually it was Eb-Bb-F-C but I moved it up)
so, is this just I-V-II-IV ? all maj?
i got confused because there was no minor chords... I'd just like to read some explanation of progressions that don't fit the standard Maj min progression tables... is it just typical to find non-standard stuff?

The I iv ii V progression in the key of G is very popular in C&W and Pop. If they're all major chords rather than the two minors, I guess some tunes would work with that too.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Maarkr
here's the reference I saw... I may not even have the chords right. it's a mash of many pop country songs with the same prog and other features...

In this case, you do have the chords a little mixed up. You've got your key wrong, which is adding to the confusion. Not all songs will start on 1. These examples don't. There are 2 main chord progressions here.

Main One: IV-I-V. The 4 and 1 are what we call a split bar, 2 beats each. The 5 is a full bar.

Second pattern: Same as the first, but the V goes to a vi (6 minor). B minor (G minor in your moved up version).

By the way, Nashville uses number charts, just actual numbers instead of roman numerals. The chart would say 4-1-5-6m and the key is usually written in the top corner. But the band leader could call out a different key and change it like you did and the band would just follow.

Even the copyrights at the end of movies have given up on the romans. (Super Bowl too next year)

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by dmd
Chord progressions can be anything a composer wishes to use to accompany his melody.

Indeed. In addition to the circle of fifths progressions, just walking down the chromatic scale is another -- like G, Gb, F, E....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission