2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,

I just received from Kevin Bazzana - Ervin Nyiregyhazi's biographer - this photo of Ervin Nyiregyhazi with Gloria Swanson before a 1937 concert of Liszt's Piano Concerto No. 2 with Modest Altschuler conducting. This is with license to publicly distribute. The image below is 5978 x 4844 pixels and with fine detail when viewed at actual size.

"PERSONAL PREVIEW: Ervin Nyiregyhazi, dynamic keyboard artist, subdues his famous crashing chords in order not to disturb that pensive look on the face of listening Gloria Swanson. A popular favorite with the Hollywood Motion picture colony, the world famous pianist appears at Trinity Auditorium, Wednesday, January 27, with the Los Angeles Federal Music Project symphony orchestra, in a concert to be widely attended by stage and screen celebrities."

photo credits: L.A. FEDERAL MUSIC PROJECT—Grossi photo

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Swanson was a young lass of 37 in this photo which was taken 13 years before she appeared in "Sunset Boulevard." Didn't know she was into Liszt. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I love all these old photos!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey
Swanson was a young lass of 37 in this photo which was taken 13 years before she appeared in "Sunset Boulevard." Didn't know she was into Liszt. grin

Gloria Swanson met Nyiregyhazi at a private recital in 1936 and he later performed at her home. Eventually he proposed marriage.

Originally Posted by Michael Sayers

Gloria Swanson met Nyiregyhazi at a private recital in 1936 and he later performed at her home. Eventually he proposed marriage.
Swanson was between her fourth and fifth husbands at that point. Then of course, there were the countless affairs. She probably did Nyiregyhazi a big favor by turning him down. HOWEVER - Ervin was married "at least" nine times during his lifetime - so I'm guessing he wasn't too devastated by the rejection. grin

Last edited by carey; 03/06/15 02:01 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Unusual looking piano, Art Deco style, do you think?, and a pretty badly posed photo: Nyiregyhazi is sitting on a loveseat, much too low and too close to the keyboard, I would think, for actually playing the piano.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Unusual looking piano, Art Deco style, do you think?, and a pretty badly posed photo: Nyiregyhazi is sitting on a loveseat, much too low and too close to the keyboard, I would think, for actually playing the piano.

I've seen a piano case like that in another black-and-white photo. I wonder if the manufacturer constructed the case with that design or if this is something that was done after the purchase.

In the videos of Nyiregyhazi he sits at a fairly normal height and distance from the keys. It does seem like an odd arrangement to have the piano almost up against the loveseat.

Interesting looking piece of unopened sheet music on the music rack. Obviously NOT the Liszt concerto.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Interesting looking piece of unopened sheet music on the music rack. Obviously NOT the Liszt concerto.

I don't think E.N. spent much time looking at music scores apart from when he was "practicing" in a public library. wink

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

Knowing Hollywood actresses at that time I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Ervin was literally "into her". wink

Townley: Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1WR7oPY44

Originally Posted by Joey Townley

Knowing Hollywood actresses at that time I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Ervin was literally "into her". wink

And from what I've read about Ervin, I assume they were quite close indeed. But enough of this speculative gossip....... smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

And from what I've read about Ervin, I assume they were quite close indeed. But enough of this speculative gossip....... smile

Yeah, let's get to the juicy stuff. thumb

Townley: Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1WR7oPY44

Yeah, let's get to the juicy stuff. thumb
I grew up in LA during the 1950s and 60s. My family knew several folks involved in the entertainment industry. There was never a lack of anything or anyone to talk about. ha

Last edited by carey; 03/07/15 09:15 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Swanson was between her fourth and fifth husbands at that point. Then of course, there were the countless affairs. She probably did Nyiregyhazi a big favor by turning him down..."

I believe she probably did herself an even greater favor by doing so. After four trips down the aisle (and back again), she may have acquired the ability to spot a bad risk. Having read Bazzannas wonderful book, "Lost Genius," I wouldn't have married him.

All too easy to say, retrospectively. Anyway, what's that expression on Swanson's face? Was it the bad clam dip? Catcalls from the audience? That is not what I would call a pensive expression, unless she was thinking of something horrid, distasteful, or annoying. Maybe some memory of the first four. And while we're on the subject, how about Erwin's expression. Comparatively veiled.

A very interesting photo, especially for a fan of both. Thanks for posting it.

Clef

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Judging by the plate bolt and the music desk my guess is the piano is a Knabe from the early 1930's.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
"...Swanson was between her fourth and fifth husbands at that point. Then of course, there were the countless affairs. She probably did Nyiregyhazi a big favor by turning him down..."

I believe she probably did herself an even greater favor by doing so. After four trips down the aisle (and back again), she may have acquired the ability to spot a bad risk. Having read Bazzanna's wonderful book, "Lost Genius," I wouldn't have married him.

The book is amazingly well written. K.B. in this book is very good at writing what needs to be said and in just the right way, with a total accuracy and precision that doesn't sacrifice the "message" and expressiveness - not an easy thing to do!

Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
A very interesting photo, especially for a fan of both. Thanks for posting it.

It was my pleasure, and evidently yours as well! I've watched a lot of the old Hollywood movies and forward from there in time through David Lean's work. After David Lean's films there doesn't seem to have been very much from Hollywood that is of durable interest, at least not with me.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Judging by the plate bolt and the music desk my guess is the piano is a Knabe from the early 1930's.

Thanks Ed!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission